Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Travelling by bus....

Postby johnstar » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:19 pm

Hello all,

I will be living in Barranco Lima for six months very soon and im looking for info about bus/coach services from Lima to Huaraz.....Lima to Iquitos.....Lima to Chiclayo and also Lima to Santiago (Chile)......All on return journeys....

My questions are, has anyone travelled these routes, which companies offer the best service combined with cost, and who has the best service reputation? as i will be travelling with my girlfriend.

Last year I travelled from Arequipa to Cusco for 40 dollars with Ormeno which was very comfortable but took a whopping 13 hours, however a plane would cost three times as much so its a dilema whether to save time and pay more, or take in the views via coach and be more patient...

Any comments appreciated

John

Seize the moment and grab the opportunity!
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:36 pm

I had the same dilema whilst in Lima last october and wanting to visit Huaraz but after discovering the journey time and seeing pictures on a regular basis in the newspaper of coaches and bodies laying at the bottom of ravines I decided to fly.
However new and safe the coaches may be, or however good the reputation of the drivers might be it doesn't matter when you have some crazy driver who is half asleep coming towards you in in a huge truck. Also it isn't unknown for tourist coaches to be stopped and robbed by armed gangs.
Check out LC Busre they fligh to most of the destinations you can usually only get to by road. www.lcbusre.com.pe
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby johnstar » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:40 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply Mark,

When you really think about the reality then of course flying is so much more convenient, comfortable and safer, its just that i dont know anything about the coach routes and if they are bumpy or flat so if there is any doubt about safety then we'll definitely fly...

I will check out the link

Thanks again
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:03 pm

I have to go to Huaraz or Mancos quite often and can not afford the plane. It is not my favorite ride, but have always used Linea without any problem.
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:09 pm

Americorps wrote:I have to go to Huaraz or Mancos quite often and can not afford the plane. It is not my favorite ride, but have always used Linea without any problem.

I've done Lima to Huaraz on either Soyuz or PeruBus, can't remember. Buses are nice, but those curves are not fun when the bus decides to pass in the wrong lane. If you have to take the bus - choose a reputable company. If you can fly, I would fly. The prices are not terrible.
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:03 pm

If you think about it, it's not the buses full of foreign tourists that you see taking the dives into the ravines. In most cases they're the buses with the general population that suffer the accidents. Find out which bus is the tourist bus and take that one. You pay a higher price, but you know which bus you are taking.

Cruz del Sur is a reputable company, and so is Flores. I never had a problem with either of them.
paddington82
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby paddington82 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:41 pm

I need to do Lima - Cajamarca - Chiclayo - Chachapoyas, anyone know of a really comfortable service from Chiclayo to Chachapoyas?
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:05 pm

I've taken Cruz del Sur several times to Tacna and also to Nazca. They're comfortable, clean, have 2 drivers on board who trade off to avoid fatigue.

And for a very few dollars more (and very early reservations) you can get 1st floor seats, much roomier and less noise.
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:13 pm

I didn't want to give the wrong impression. I have my concerns over general road travel in Peru, but didn't want to cause undo concern.

I would recommend Cruz del Sur, Soyuz or Perubus, among others.
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:27 pm

No reservations needed for Soyuz (Perubus..whatever they're called), just wait along the Panamericana and wave down the bus going in your direction.

Cruz del Sur has the most safety precautions that I've seen...Oh and don't wave at the video camera when they tape you boarding the bus, apparently you will have been the umpteenth million tourist to do this, which has worn on the nerves of the staff (hence they may roll their eyes.) They do this in case of a robbery, hijack, accident, etc.
WikiSama
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby WikiSama » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:43 am

rgamarra wrote:No reservations needed for Soyuz (Perubus..whatever they're called), just wait along the Panamericana and wave down the bus going in your direction.

This is how buses get robbed in the middle of roads. Waiting for an interprovincial bus on a paradero is discouraged. People should only get on authorized terraports, nowhere else. 8)
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:47 am

I took Soyuz once from the Panamericana (don't call me crazy just yet) to get to Pucusana. It was either 30 minutes in the Soyuz for S/.5 or an hour in an Uncle's barely alive, packed like a sardine Taxi for S/.10.

You do the math.
WikiSama
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby WikiSama » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:55 am

Not calling you crazy or anything... (I wasn't at the ExPat lunch, so I can't really tell :mrgreen: ). Just saying, that most thieves that rob these kinds of buses get on unauthorized paraderos along the way. 8) Maybe if people stopped doing it, and the bus company had more respect by not letting people inside once the bus has departed the terraport, bus robbing in the middle of the highway would decrease. :P

I do understand that sometimes convenience is a tempting mistress though... :twisted:
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:05 am

Wiki, you are right, I completely agree with you, but sometimes it's not the companies that are at fault.

The bus drivers have been known to be involved in the robberies by making the unauthorized stop to let their robber friends on board. I've only seen this on the inter-provincial buses. I have not seen it (knock on wood) yet with the more expensive tourist buses.
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby johnstar » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:42 pm

Wow, some great responses and opinions here, so thanks very much to everyone....I've seen the Cruz del Sur coaches in Lima and also had a look on their website and they do look very comfy and safe, and given the fact they have a decent reputation i will look at travelling with them against the cost of flights.

Im still a bit shocked at the number of robberies/thefts against these buses but given half the country is living in poverty i guess i shouldnt be so naive, so i will take the necessary precautions and only take whats absolutely necessary for the journey.

Many Thanks )
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby craig » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:58 pm

Johnstar,

You can't get to Iquitos by bus. There is no land access (no roads) to the city. Access is only by air or water.
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby johnstar » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:09 pm

Thanks craig, i knew Iquitos was surrounded by water, lillies etc but i had no idea it was accessable by road or sea only so i guess thats an interesting choice...Flying would probably be best from Lima to Iquitos purely for the distance involved, but as for Ica, Chiclayo and Huaraz i think im going to travel by land where possible as Cruz del sur are offering very reasonable rates.

Gracias )
Deny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Busses out of Lima

Postby Deny » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:00 pm

For me the best is Oltursa, you call them up, purchase your ticket by phone, make your reservation on the VIP area, which only has 9 seats, all leather and go down all the way so they really feel like a bed and they deliver the ticket to your place, they leave and arrive on time 95% of the time and they NEVER stop on the way to their destinations because a chuffer can get fired for that, great onboard service too...good luck and safe traveling.
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:16 pm

Deny,

I'm glad you posted about Oltursa. I saw that their prices are roughly the same as Cruz del Sur. What I don't like is that at times you have to buy tickets at the Cruz del Sur agency. I'll be sure to consider Oltursa the next time around, too.

:D
Kelly

Re: Busses out of Lima

Postby Kelly » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:21 pm

Deny wrote:For me the best is Oltursa, you call them up, purchase your ticket by phone, make your reservation on the VIP area, which only has 9 seats, all leather and go down all the way so they really feel like a bed and they deliver the ticket to your place, they leave and arrive on time 95% of the time and they NEVER stop on the way to their destinations because a chuffer can get fired for that, great onboard service too...good luck and safe traveling.

Sounds exactly like Cruz del Sur with the downstairs VIP, and they deliver the tickets right to the house also. Good to know that there is competition to be the best - I'll have to check prices out on both of them next time we travel.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:27 pm

I always buy cruz del sur tickets by their fonobus number, 311-5050 and can get them delivered or pick them up at the station. Never had any trouble with it.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:36 am

They changed the bus rules a bit ago, no stopping or speeding now, so buses are going slower. used to be 14 hours Lima to Piura, now it's 15.

I don-t like bus travel, it's too hot or too cold or there are crying babies, or people who bang on the back of my seat, or snore :roll:

WE went to Arequipa, bottom level, can-t remember the name of the place, but it was supposed to be atop quailty bus, they were three hours late and it was super hot inside.

try www.transporteslinea.com.pe
www.oltursa.com.pe
www.cruzdelsur.com.pr
www.tepsa.com.pe
www.floreshnos.com.pe
www.soyuz.com.pe

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register