Discount vitamins

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Followthesun

Discount vitamins

Postby Followthesun » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:06 pm

Many people tell me vitamins are much more expensive here than in US.
Are there certain businesses/stores that sell quality vitamins at good prices here?
Do you recommend buying vitamins online from Peruvian companies?

Thanks

panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Discount vitamins

Postby panman » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:03 pm

Followthesun wrote:Many people tell me vitamins are much more expensive here than in US.
Are there certain businesses/stores that sell quality vitamins at good prices here?

Thanks

Unless you have a specific deficiency you should be able to get the required daily vitamin intake from a healthy balanced diet.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:44 pm

Followthesun wrote:Many people tell me vitamins are much more expensive here than in US.

Thanks
Well yeah..fruit stores :roll:
Followthesun

Postby Followthesun » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:16 am

Not true!
Certain diseases and illnesses require massive doses of specific vitamins, impossible to achieve thru normal eating of fruits and veggies/balanced diet.
I wish it was that simple.

Thanks
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:53 am

Followthesun wrote:Not true!
Certain diseases and illnesses require massive doses of specific vitamins, impossible to achieve thru normal eating of fruits and veggies/balanced diet.
I wish it was that simple.

Thanks

Although the original post was about the cost of vitamins, I'd like to see more specific factual references to this statement. Thanks.
Followthesun

Postby Followthesun » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:46 pm

A friend of mine will be bringing me a book on - Natural Remedies to Healing.
He should be here by the end of February.
I would be happy to give info on specific diseases or illnesses - please be specific.

Thanks
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:26 pm

With all due respect, you posted the comment. I would have thought you already had the factual information to back up your comment before posting.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:07 pm

B12 could be a prime example of a vitamins that your body can stop processing from food. If that happens then yes you have to take vitamin pills, and if you can`t get enough B12 from that you have to get B12 injections every couple of months. So yes there are some vitamins your body will stop processing from food.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:12 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:B12 could be a prime example of a vitamins that your body can stop processing from food. If that happens then yes you have to take vitamin pills, and if you can`t get enough B12

Well..if your body stops processing the coenzyme B12, taking vitamin pills certainly wont help the situation...how do you "process" the pills ?? :roll:
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:59 am

It's only in the worse cases that someones body might stop processing B12 altogether, in which case pills won't help and it has to be sorted with injections. But most of the people who have this problem use b12 tablets to top up their b12 levels as the body isn't processing enough from their normal intake of food.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:41 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:It's only in the worse cases that someones body might stop processing B12 altogether, in which case pills won't help and it has to be sorted with injections. But most of the people who have this problem use b12 tablets to top up their b12 levels as the body isn't processing enough from their normal intake of food.
well..eggs do that too and are way cheaper :lol:
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:37 am

Many things affect the body's ability to use or absorb certain molecules. Regarding B12, the pills are placed underneath the tongue for direct absorption into the blood stream. The enzymes and acid in the stomach destroys the B12 molecule when swallowed. Even if people eat a good diet, as people age, their ability to absorb nutrients diminishes, therefore, supplementing is of benefit. Another example, during the winter months when people are seldom in the sun, the body is not able to synthesize Vitamin D3 without sun which is now known to be critical to good health, especially the immune system. Some experts say that this is why there are more colds, flue, etc. during the winter (along with increased contact between people closed in a house). My last example involves when people are prescribed statin drugs such as Lipitor. This drug blocks the body's ability to synthesize CoQ10 which is critical for heart health. The list of when supplements help, is very long........
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:09 pm

Yeah basically as the last post says. The body simply doesn't process the B12 vitimn from food as it should and so you need to take tablets which usually works. Plus 60 to 90 days worth of tablets work out usually at $2 - $3 and cheaper than eggs, sorry Guiri :D
Followthesun

Postby Followthesun » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:40 pm

Some useful posts, but still no info on where to get good prices on vitamins.

Thanks
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:13 am

RICHARDandNORA wrote:Many things affect the body's ability to use or absorb certain molecules. Regarding B12, the pills are placed underneath the tongue for direct absorption into the blood stream. The enzymes and acid in the stomach destroys the B12 molecule when swallowed. ...yadayada
What kind of pseudo medical BS is that ...maybe you should google how the coenzyme is really absorbed :roll: certainly not "under the tongue directly to the blood stream"..thats plain ridiculous :lol:
Last edited by Guiri on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:13 am

Guiri wrote:
RICHARDandNORA wrote:Many things affect the body's ability to use or absorb certain molecules. Regarding B12, the pills are placed underneath the tongue for direct absorption into the blood stream. The enzymes and acid in the stomach destroys the B12 molecule when swallowed. ...yadayada
What kind of pseudo BS is that ...maybe you should google how the coenzyme is really absorbed :roll: certainly not "under the tongue directly to the blood stream"..thats plain ridiculous :lol:

So, curious me, googled it:

“When humans eat animal foods, the B12 is protein-bound. When the protein-B12 complex reaches the stomach, the stomach secretes acids and enzymes that detach the B12 from the protein...

In supplements, B12 is not bound to protein, and therefore does not need digestive enzymes or stomach acid to be detached from a protein...

There is some preliminary evidence that unbound B12, especially when combined with an absorption enhancer, can be directly absorbed through the membranes under the tongue at higher rates than through passive diffusion in the digestive tract.”
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:45 am

Followthesun wrote:Some useful posts, but still no info on where to get good prices on vitamins.

Thanks

Have your friend who is coming at the end of February bring down a suitcase full. Enough to last you until the next time a friend comes down or you make a return trip yourself.
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:29 am

Although the OP's question was regarding availability and pricing of vitamins in Peru, I will comment on Guiri's insulting comment. I recall the following information from my study of organic chemistry at UNC. Regarding the make up of cyanocobalamin (B12), it is a water soluble compound of a molecular size that can transverse the buccal membrane (in the mouth) with ease. If you purchase vitamin B12, it is typically in a tablet form that is placed under the tongue and is dissolved into saliva. As mentioned earlier, if B12 has been released from its original binding protein in the stomach, it must rebind with another binding protein carrier to be transported to the small intestine for absorption. Before absorption can take place, it then must encounter "intrinsic factor" which carries/accompanies it into the blood stream. It is easier to absorb directly under the tongue as I mentioned earlier.
Followthesun

Postby Followthesun » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:13 am

Why is it so difficult to get informative answers to a specific post/question?
It appears that some expats have too much free time and just want to chat and go - off topic.
Thanks to Richard and Nora for expert advise on vitamins.

Thanks, still waiting for an answer to my OP.
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:42 am

Here is why good and various vitamins and supplements are not available in Peru. Years ago, I decided to commercially provide vitamins to businesses in Peru. By a reputable USA based supplier, I was told that Peru required several of the following documents which they could not supply:

1 Manufacturer’s Certificate - therefore not able to be notorized or authenticated by the State Dept or Embassy Consulate
2 Method of Analysis
3 Veterinarian Certified BSE or TSE Statement
4 Phyto-sanitary Certificate
5 Monograph Product Information (public sources only)
6 HACCP Analysis – Food safety prevention plan, not applicable to supplements
7 Declaration of Suitability or Conformity
8 Specific product info that includes: Qualitative, Quantitative, Genre & Species and the Origin of the Raw Product
9 Stability testing results
10 A letter stating that our products are either pork or bovine free, this is not guaranteed and a letter cannot be issued as such.

Although all of the above were not required, they further explained that it was too difficult and costly to maintain the above records. Therefore, they would not ship to Peru.....
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:44 pm

Followthesun wrote:It appears that some expats have too much free time and just want to chat and go - off topic.

Thats exactly what springs to mind when I see you posting ;)
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:11 pm

Followthesun wrote:Some useful posts, but still no info on where to get good prices on vitamins.

Thanks

I am sorry but there is no definitive answer to your question. You will notice there is a multitude of Pharmacies to choose from, but in all the time I have lived in Peru I have never come across a discount store. I think R&N may have answered your question as it is almost impossible to import pharmaceuticals.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:33 pm

It's basically as Adrian stated you won't find discount stores for anything here, people are too busy trying to get by and there just isn't enough business for people to really buy in bulk to provide the discount.

Most items from the westerner world will always be more expensive here, its just how it is unfortunately. People will tell you it's cheaper here and it really isn't, not even things like fruit are that cheap unless you go out to the poorer suburbs.

My advice is just have a friend post this stuff down to you or bring it on their next flight down.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register