Peru quietly begins screening incoming airborne foreigners

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peru quietly begins screening incoming airborne foreigners

Postby Alan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:17 pm

Thanks for sharing that. It's curious that the initiative is being funded by the USA. I suppose they are trying to widen the net to catch narcos or international terrorists.
randomperson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby randomperson » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:45 pm

Similar, if not identical system, as the one used by Office of Biometric Identity Management by US Customs and Border Patrol, designed to identify risk prior to entry, instead of after the fact.

That this is being paid for by the US comes as no surprise. It also coincides with the new Peruvian passport and all its improved safety measures. Undoubtedly, there is a unit within the US Embassy in Peru whose sole purpose is to work with and influence Peruvian authorities to standardize and encourage compliance.

A system similar to this has been in place in Japan and other countries for years. They be knowin' all about you and your business in real time well before you land. The vulnerable terrestrial northern southern and especially even weaker and more vulnerable eastern border crossings are going to get sketchier before they figure out how to address that.

Perhaps soon Peru will stop being a destination of choice for lacra.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:28 pm

I've been told by people that work in Peru for the US State Department that the average person would be quite shocked by how involved the US is in stuff like this. Various special forces operating in Peru were also alluded to.

So I can't say this surprises me.
randomperson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby randomperson » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:52 pm

In 2003 I went on vacation to Mancora. At the airport in Piura there was some American operation going on. One of the agents gifted me with a really cool poster. The poster in Spanish was meant to discourage drug trafficking. Someday I will sell it on Ebay or frame it.

Peru doesn't have much regard for its national sovereignty. They haven't progressed from the colonization mentality and think whatever the gringo does is good and means progress.

For sure these guys were DEA. Walking around like Pedro en su casa. I was surprised to see this level of ownership obviously sanctioned and blessed at the federal level. Ordinary Peruvians are oblivious to the meddling that goes on.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register