Water Pressure in Lima Cut Back to Save for Non-Rainy Days

Share and discuss news about Peru.

Moderators: ExpatPeruMods, Alan

windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Water Pressure in Lima Cut Back to Save for Non-Rainy Days

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:48 pm

Some weeks ago, a friend of mine from Ilo (a southern nice coastal city), mentioned that his city has similar problems.

Water scarcity could be a problem in the future in South America..
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:59 am

Reducing the water pressure while people are asleep may not be enough. Lima has always had a water pressure problem and I can see it getting worse. I have lived in Lima quite a few years and always experienced low water pressure. We moved in to our home ten years ago, had problems with the water supply and therefor installed a subterranean tank and pumps. This gave us high water pressure throughout our home. I monitored the usage and found there was no change what so ever in usage and cost.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:56 am

adrian Thorne wrote:Reducing the water pressure while people are asleep may not be enough. Lima has always had a water pressure problem and I can see it getting worse. I have lived in Lima quite a few years and always experienced low water pressure. We moved in to our home ten years ago, had problems with the water supply and therefor installed a subterranean tank and pumps. This gave us high water pressure throughout our home. I monitored the usage and found there was no change what so ever in usage and cost.

Most homes I have seen have tanks on top of their homes, I assume to create water pressure. Why would someone bury their water tank and install a pump to create water pressure?
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:23 pm

It is a good question jumpin,

The tanks on top of houses is just a water reservoir, not for increasing water pressure. Some districts with some advantage because of its lower location as Magdalena, San Miguel, etc. in Lima, have better water pressure than others districts located at slight higher altitude as La Molina, etc. It is a universal physical law, as you know.

So in the case of district that cannot get enough water pressure (measured in pounds-per-square inch PSI ) it is necessary to keep a water reservoir at the first floor and then to pump it up using an electric pump or directly using a water pressure system "sistema de agua presurizado" or using both methods at the same

In the past, Magdalena also had water flow problem. Some months ago, there was a replacement of the main water pipeline (“tubería matriz”) and now we have both a natural pressure and an improved water flow

Here at home with only a 1,100 liters black water reservoir is enough. No need for additional water tank at the first floor and no need for “sistema de agua presurizado”

Don’t you think I am a lucky guy ?
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:17 pm

windsportinperu wrote:It is a good question jumpin,

The tanks on top of houses is just a water reservoir, not for increasing water pressure. Some districts with some advantage because of its lower location as Magdalena, San Miguel, etc. in Lima, have better water pressure than others districts located at slight higher altitude as La Molina, etc. It is a universal physical law, as you know.

So in the case of district that cannot get enough water pressure (measured in pounds-per-square inch PSI ) it is necessary to keep a water reservoir at the first floor and then to pump it up using an electric pump or directly using a water pressure system "sistema de agua presurizado" or using both methods at the same

In the past, Magdalena also had water flow problem. Some months ago, there was a replacement of the main water pipeline (“tubería matriz”) and now we have both a natural pressure and an improved water flow

Here at home with only a 1,100 liters black water reservoir is enough. No need for additional water tank at the first floor and no need for “sistema de agua presurizado”

Don’t you think I am a lucky guy ?

Yeah you're lucky (suerte) guy and I am a lucky guy both of us living in paradise (paraíso).
Nice reply (respuesta) but I hardly think (pienso) that all homes (casas) in my area went to the expense (gasto) of installing (instalar) tanks simply for storing water (agua)
But that (eso) is just me.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:02 pm

It is good to know we both are lucky persons.

The water reservoir helps to supply the demand for water in some specific time during the day. An example of that would be having a house with 5 complete bathrooms with showers. During the morning several of these showers could be used and the main pipeline that comes from the company cannot supply the morning demand. In this case the Tank helps a lot..

Another case would be having a water cut from the Company, in this case there is no water coming from the external pipeline, but we still have water at home coming from the Water Tank.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:30 am

I guess a person can dream up any scenario they want to support their belief but where I come from, we have peak demand times also (Super Bowl) and even have several people packed into one apartment and the water would even be cut from time to time. Guess what you will not find on one house or buried in the ground?
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:52 pm

jumpinjack wrote:I guess a person can dream up any scenario they want to support their belief but where I come from, we have peak demand times also (Super Bowl) and even have several people packed into one apartment and the water would even be cut from time to time. Guess what you will not find on one house or buried in the ground?

The whole point of the topic was to warn of impending water pressure reductions overnight. Whilst some of us are fine, a large proportion of Lima live with very low pressure and with these further reductions in pressure, may end up with no supply. This will effect families where there are young children, the infirm, elderly etc.
The observation I originally made was to point out this could effect any district, wealthy or poor alike. I am in a position to address the problem, but there are many others in this city who will not be able to cope.

Return to “Peru News and Views”

Login  •  Register