Peru isn't a cheap country.

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Cactus fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Peru isn't a cheap country.

Postby Cactus fan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:23 pm

Hotels, restaurants and public transport are fairly cheap.

But food isn't as cheap as you might think. Milk, beer, wine, cheese and many food items are the same price or even more expensive than in Europe.

When it comes to cosmetics, hairgel, tooth paste, aftershave, perfume,...then it's even more expensive in Peru.

Phone and internet are more expensive as well in Peru.

White goods are as expensive as in Europe.

But wages in Europe are up to 20 times higher than in Peru.

Poor people pay more and earn less.

Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peru isn't a cheap country.

Postby Polaron » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:02 pm

We can all thank the so-called 1% for that.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:58 am

Yep I have to agree on all of that. The cost of living against wages is just insane in Lima, I really have no idea how the average Peruvian manages to survive.

I wouldn't say the wages are 20% higher but definitely around 10% in Europe although it's not as easy to get by here either compared to the past with more and more job going it tends to mean if you are unskilled then the usual job only involves 20-26 hours per week. Most of the time the boss expects you to be flexible for his needs but if not it's easy to pick up a second job however to make a pretty decent wage.

I remember someone mentioning on this site that they had met a friend of a friend who had a pretty high ranking government job and who was on 8,000 soles a month, which if you compare the fact I'm making over 9,000 just delivering take aways shows you the difference in income. I just need to work one weekend to make more than the Peruvian average monthly wage.

The cost of food is another problem. I totally disagree with this fact that it's cheap to eat in Lima. La Menus are just plain awful.....Fact! They are usually 8 soles for a reason and even then most of the 15 soles meals are pretty bad too (I'm sorry but a massive plate of rice and potatos isn't a proper meal!). I can easily get a Chinese or Indian meal here for £6 or £8 here compared to the 22 soles I had to pay for a Chinese meal in Villa el Salvador which left me on the toilet for over a week. even my local Chinese it's 13 soles just for a chicken soup.

Housing prices, well a family member just bought a single bedroom apartment in the town centre for £35,000 fully furnished so that's all you need to say about the housing price differences really.

Then there's the over priced department stores like Saga which charge a fortune for Pepe jeans just because it has the word London underneath the logo. Pepe jeans are so bad the only place you would find them in the U.K is on a back of a van market stall on a Saturday morning. But hey, I guess sticking London, Paris or New York on any clothing can justify increasing the price by 30% in a South American store!

I just feel so sorry for Peruvians as they just seem to be getting screwed over by these giant stores on the prices for most things. I'd really love to see a Lidl or Aldi open up in Lima, that would be a real cat among the pigeons and you'd see some of those giant Peruvian chains literally S**t themselves at serious competition and none of their cosy monopolies!
Cactus fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Cactus fan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:15 am

SilverbackPeru wrote: But hey, I guess sticking London, Paris or New York on any clothing can justify increasing the price by 30% in a South American store!

Sounds like a good business idea.
Buy cheap jeans at Gamarra.
Design a nice label and put London, Paris or New York on it and sell it for 30% more.

Or even better, put ''Swiss Made'' or Milano on it. You can sell it for 300% more.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:12 am

Cactus fan wrote:Hotels, restaurants and public transport are fairly cheap.

But food isn't as cheap as you might think. Milk, beer, wine, cheese and many food items are the same price or even more expensive than in Europe.

When it comes to cosmetics, hairgel, tooth paste, aftershave, perfume,...then it's even more expensive in Peru.

The problem is not whether something is cheap or not. The question is about the quality of what you get for a $ spent. A $15 meal in Miami may seem expensive compared to a s/12 "menu" in Lima. You have to look at the complete "package" and not pick up things that are more or less expensive. It is just not fun to eat a s/12 menu if you are stuck 1 hr in traffic jam with all the combis honking the horns in order to reach your s/12 restaurant.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:17 pm

mrsteak wrote:
Cactus fan wrote:Hotels, restaurants and public transport are fairly cheap.

The problem is not whether something is cheap or not. The question is about the quality of what you get for a $ spent. A $15 meal in Miami may seem expensive compared to a s/12 "menu" in Lima. You have to look at the complete "package" and not pick up things that are more or less expensive. It is just not fun to eat a s/12 menu if you are stuck 1 hr in traffic jam with all the combis honking the horns in order to reach your s/12 restaurant.

You should try a closer restaurant.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:20 pm

On Sunday's we take Uber from Miraflores to Chorillos for s/.25 rountrip (about 15 min each way) We go to El Hornero and 3 big steaks,potatoes,salad and maracuya will only set you back a little over $100 bucks! The steaks are 500 grams each and cooked to perfection and the service is beyond great! Hell, the view from the second floor window table is worth that for cocktails alone!
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:47 pm

Are you sure it was USD 100? That would be freaking expensive. Maybe you mean s/100
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:51 pm

mrsteak wrote:Are you sure it was USD 100? That would be freaking expensive. Maybe you mean s/100

It was S/.360 or so with tip. A Steak runs S/110 including the sides. At Spark's in midtown Manhattan the steak alone is $55.00!and dinner for three is never less than $250.00!
Last edited by Alpineprince on Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:56 pm

Alpineprince wrote:
mrsteak wrote:Are you sure it was USD 100? That would be freaking expensive. Maybe you mean s/100

It was S/.360 or so with tip.

ok now I know why my food is so poor here... I spend only s/30 on a lunch :roll:
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:04 pm

mrsteak wrote:
Alpineprince wrote:

It was S/.360 or so with tip.

ok now I know why my food is so poor here... I spend only s/30 on a lunch :roll:

You can go to your local Chilli's or TGI Fridays for S/.16-18 and don't tip or drink anything!
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:56 pm

Alpineprince wrote:On Sunday's we take Uber from Miraflores to Chorillos for s/.25 rountrip (about 15 min each way) We go to El Hornero and 3 big steaks,potatoes,salad and maracuya will only set you back a little over $100 bucks! The steaks are 500 grams each and cooked to perfection and the service is beyond great! Hell, the view from the second floor window table is worth that for cocktails alone!

So basically three Steaks and a taxi to Chorillos cost around the average of one weeks wage in Peru?
You're not selling the Peru is cheap theory with this post ya know! :wink:
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:51 pm

Maybe he wanted to say "it is expensive" ?
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:20 pm

Just back from Plaza Vea and freaking out... shaving foam Nivea 300ml 27 soles... more expensive than US! Do not say I should go to mercado to buy it :mrgreen:

I wonder how shaving foam of same size can cost 1.59€ in any European ALDI... :shock:
toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby toughrider » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:55 pm

mrsteak wrote:I wonder how shaving foam of same size can cost 1.59€ in any European ALDI... :shock:

Yesterday, I crossed the border into Germany to do my shopping.
I bought a bottle of shaving foam for 0.79 at Müller in Waldshut Tiengen.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:48 pm

toughrider wrote:
mrsteak wrote:I wonder how shaving foam of same size can cost 1.59€ in any European ALDI... :shock:

Yesterday, I crossed the border into Germany to do my shopping.
I bought a bottle of shaving foam for 0.79 at Müller in Waldshut Tiengen.

possible - for a 100ml bottle :mrgreen: I was getting these mini shaving bottles also in CVS for 1.99 or so LOL
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:15 am

Forget shaving cream and shaving.
Shaving is for girly men.
Man up and grow a beard.
If you must shave, use an electric razor.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:19 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Forget shaving cream and shaving.
Shaving is for girly men.
Man up and grow a beard.
If you must shave, use an electric razor.

I use a machete to shave myself but anyway it needs something to glide. Electric razors are for pus**** :mrgreen:

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register