Peruvian Pisco and India

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Peruvian Pisco and India

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:47 pm

Probably most of you know about the dispute of the name Pisco between Peru and Chile. Pisco is the name of a port (southern of Lima). In this Port was born the original and unique Liquor from Peru, about 400 years ago

About 200 years ago, Chile was also producing a replica of the Peruvian Pisco, but with another method and very low quality. As you may know, water is added to reduce the level of alcohol

Chile had a wonderful opportunity in 1936, to name his replica (produce in Elqui Valley) as "Elqui". Instead of that, they made the mistake of trying to rename an area of Elqui Valley as Pisco ! This dishonest act has brought to Chile unexpected negative consequences with the passing of time

1º The World already know where was born the Pisco, this has led to Chile, to try to defense something that is indefensible

2º In 2013 The European Union declares Pisco to be original from Peru

3º This 2019 India has recognize Pisco as peruvian, but goes further. It is not allowed for Chileans to sell their replica with the name Pisco .This legal battle took 9 years

It is been an unnecessary dispute created by Chile against Peru. An it is been painful and annoying for both countries to battle on something that should be done well from the beginning. They would be proud of their Elqui, as we are proud of our Pisco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN4agvh801I

https://theculturetrip.com/south-americ ... isco-sour/

http://en.mercopress.com/2013/11/09/per ... f-in-chile

Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peruvian Pisco and India

Postby Wiracocha » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:47 pm

G'day Windy,

You said..."3º This 2019 India has recognize Pisco as peruvian, but goes further. It is not allowed for Chileans to sell their replica with the name Pisco ...."

Just as a side note, Australia did the same thing a few years ago. I think that Aussie Customs Agents will seize any that try to sneak into the Aussie market, and penalize the importers.

Having said that, correct Pisco costs an arm and a leg in Aussie now.
Cheers,
W
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:46 pm

Wiracocha wrote:G'day Windy,

Having said that, correct Pisco costs an arm and a leg in Aussie now.
Cheers,
W

That's really interesting. I had no idea that Australia was leading the way. Just how high are the prices? Do you think it sells outside of the Peruvian expat community?
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:34 pm

G'day Alan,

Oddly enough, that regulation was instigated (from memory) by the Australian DFAT ( Dept'of Foreign Affairs & Trade) in Santiago a few years back. So that was beaut....right in the face of Chile, huh?!!
Chile exporters were not happy....bad luck !!

The pricing in Australia...well, have just checked one of the leading discount liquor stores in Aussie, and the ICA Pisco brand BARSO PISCO, 750ml bottle, 40% alcohol, sells for Aus$74.00....that's approx' S/178

That price also includes the high Australian alcohol "excise tax" and 10% sales tax....which is applicable to all spirits.

The average Australian(non-South American) would not even know what Pisco is.!! :-/

Cheers,
W
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:27 am

What Anthony Bourdain thinks about the replica of Peruvian Pisco Sour made in Chile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWiUzeDTUIg

P.S. Anthony Bourdain ... RIP
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:26 pm

Wiracocha wrote:

The average Australian(non-South American) would not even know what Pisco is.!! :-/

Cheers,
W

You have your work cut out for you!

Anyway, thanks for the info. Very interesting.
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:29 pm

G'day Alan,

No problem for me ...I now live in Lima. :-)

Cheers,
W
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:19 pm

The last days, Chile made a nonsense request to Peru related to Pisco

They want that their copy to be recognized as original by us. This way they will do the same with our original Pisco.

Believe it or not ! , Que conchudos !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WJl4EoN5SI

P.S. The Agriculture Minister from Chile proposed it , because it is very expensive (for them), to fight the legal battle in the World

This link is from a prestigious newspaper in Chile:

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Economia/ ... licto.html
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:48 am

windsportinperu wrote:Probably most of you know about the dispute of the name Pisco between Peru and Chile. Pisco is the name of a port (southern of Lima). In this Port was born the original and unique Liquor from Peru, about 400 years ago

About 200 years ago, Chile was also producing a replica of the Peruvian Pisco, but with another method and very low quality. As you may know, water is added to reduce the level of alcohol

Chile had a wonderful opportunity in 1936, to name his replica (produce in Elqui Valley) as "Elqui". Instead of that, they made the mistake of trying to rename an area of Elqui Valley as Pisco ! This dishonest act has brought to Chile unexpected negative consequences with the passing of time

1º The World already know where was born the Pisco, this has led to Chile, to try to defense something that is indefensible

2º In 2013 The European Union declares Pisco to be original from Peru

3º This 2019 India has recognize Pisco as peruvian, but goes further. It is not allowed for Chileans to sell their replica with the name Pisco .This legal battle took 9 years

It is been an unnecessary dispute created by Chile against Peru. An it is been painful and annoying for both countries to battle on something that should be done well from the beginning. They would be proud of their Elqui, as we are proud of our Pisco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN4agvh801I

https://theculturetrip.com/south-americ ... isco-sour/

http://en.mercopress.com/2013/11/09/per ... f-in-chile

Have you ever had Chilean pisco?
If not, then you can't say which is best.

Cheers!
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:04 am

I had it several times. No aroma and no flavor

Did you know that they add water to reduce the level of alcohol ?
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:44 am

windsportinperu wrote:I had it several times. No aroma and no flavor

When distilling, it's necessary to add water.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:54 am

Formidable 1 wrote: When distilling, it's necessary to add water.

Wrong
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:59 am

windsportinperu wrote:
Formidable 1 wrote: When distilling, it's necessary to add water.

Wrong

The multiple distillations of pisco raise the alcohol content, which Chilean distillers can then lower with the addition of water.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:17 am

Multiple distillation lower the quality of Pisco, and you are right at the end process Chile add water. A very poor method to obtain good quality Pisco

Pisco made here is an art. It has aroma and flavor. Try Pisco type "Mosto Verde". The fermentation is only 5 to 7 days and uses about 10kg of grape per liter ! . Another type is "Pisco Acholado"

Chile itself import about 40% of all the production of Peruvian-Pisco !
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:44 am

Two different drinks entirely. Peruvian pisco has a much richer flavour. It's a brandy. I am not sure what you'd consider Chilean pisco. As I recall, it has a lesser alcohol content. I didn't enjoy it at all. No body to it.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:41 pm

Alan wrote: Two different drinks entirely. Peruvian pisco has a much richer flavour. It's a brandy. I am not sure what you'd consider Chilean pisco. As I recall, it has a lesser alcohol content. I didn't enjoy it at all. No body to it.

You are totally right. Peru cannot accept that "no-pisco" made in Chile be "suddenly" name as "pisco" in Peru.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:52 pm

Alan wrote:

Two different drinks entirely. Peruvian pisco has a much richer flavour. It's a brandy. I am not sure what you'd consider Chilean pisco. As I recall, it has a lesser alcohol content. I didn't enjoy it at all. No body to it.

Beg to differ but Chlean Pisco is a brandy too, unless of course, it is not distilled from grapes.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:32 pm

Brandy is a distillation of grapes, right. But if they add water.. Is it still a brandy ?

P.S. Technically speaking Pisco (in Peru) belongs to the family of brandy , but with a unique method of production. For example it is distillated once - just one time
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:48 pm

windsportinperu wrote:Multiple distillation lower the quality of Pisco, and you are right at the end process Chile add water. A very poor method to obtain good quality Pisco

Pisco made here is an art. It has aroma and flavor. Try Pisco type "Mosto Verde". The fermentation is only 5 to 7 days and uses about 10kg of grape per liter ! . Another type is "Pisco Acholado"

Chile itself import about 40% of all the production of Peruvian-Pisco !

In Chile, Peruvian pisco is labeled aguardiente or destilado de uva.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:52 pm

Formidable 1 wrote: In Chile, Peruvian pisco is labeled aguardiente or destilado de uva.

You are right. And at the moment they drink it as Pisco-Sour , they know they are drinking Pisco, Ironic, Isn't it ?
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:54 pm

windsportinperu wrote:
Formidable 1 wrote: In Chile, Peruvian pisco is labeled aguardiente or destilado de uva.

You are right. And at the moment they drink it as Pisco-Sour , they know they are drinking Pisco, Ironic, Isn't it ?

It's because Peru does not meet the denominación de origen requirements in Chile.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:57 pm

windsportinperu wrote:Brandy is a distillation of grapes, right. But if they add water.. Is it still a brandy ?

P.S. Technically speaking Pisco (in Peru) belongs to the family of brandy , but with a unique method of production. For example it is distillated once - just one time

PS beg to differ. Factually.......brandy is the distillation of fruit.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Formidable 1 wrote: It's because Peru does not meet the denominación de origen requirements in Chile.

They do not buy it as Pisco, but drink it as Pisco..
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:17 pm

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register