How bad is winter in Lima?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
elf.painter
Silver Member
Silver Member

How bad is winter in Lima?

Postby elf.painter » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:56 pm

We are thinking of moving to Lima. We are here now looking at different places in and around Miraflores. The one thing that keeps coming up in discussions about living in Lima, it is winter without the sun and how bad it is.
Okay, when they stay “no sun” is it night darkness? Is there no daylight in Lima? What is a typical day like in Lima during the worst winter days.

Kelly

Re: How bad is winter in Lima?

Postby Kelly » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:55 pm

It's cloudy and dismal and damp for most of the winter. It isn't super cold, usually the low 60's (around 15 celsius), but it can certainly feel colder than that because of the humidity and the lack of heating in most homes or buildings.

It isn't a 'night time' type of darkness, it's more a terminal cloudiness and overcast. I usually do ok until about October or November, then I start pining for sun. Fortunately, the cloudiness dissipates as you get away from the coast, and it's not hard at all to take a weekend trip to find a little sun and warmth.
NelsonSuarez
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NelsonSuarez » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Basically there is (almost) no sun at all (almost) 9 months of the year. Imagine a bad day in Seattle or London, subtract the actual rain (it never rains here, the sidewalks are washed manually), and you're pretty much there.

The temperature in the coldest months is JUST BARELY where you're not comfortable. I grew up in the arctic winters of central Europe, but that's nothing compared to the shiver I've experienced here. 15 celsius isn't actually that cold, but the humidity is brutal, windows here don't insulate at all (no window frames!!), and buildings have no heating. I need down jackets at work to not feel cold. Now, once you're moving you won't feel cold at all. But sitting at home, or at work, brrrrrrrrr

But as Kelly said, it's easy to get out, Pisco/Paracas for example has eternal sunshine pretty much and it's only 4 hours away. Now that's far, even an hour drive gets you to the sun..
elf.painter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby elf.painter » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:51 pm

Well it sounds like one of those good news, bad news things. Bad news overcast for nine months...Good news, it doen't rain. lol
But when you say no sun do you mean no sunshine or no sunlight. Can the light from sun get through the overcast?
We are here now and notice overcast days when the sunshine did not break through the clouds and it looked it could rain any minute. Is it like that all winter and with the humidity and lower temps thrown in for good measure?
The big question... can me and my wife accept Lima's winter. I think the best way for us to find out is to come here in July and Aug. and see what it's like.
NelsonSuarez
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NelsonSuarez » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:15 am

oh yeah, there's daylight no doubt. In fact the sun rises and sets about the same hours in the winter as it does in the summer (+/- one hour or so). It's similar to the clouds you have right now sometime, except they're thicker, hanging lower, so less light shining through. There are random sightings of the sun, but it's rare. You can count the number of times in August on one hand.

You don't get rain, but sometimes you get these really spooky fogs where the mist is so heavy you can see the fog particles. And then it does indeed rain maybe once or twice a year.

Now if you live a bit outside, in say, La Molina, I hear it's very different.. sun almost year round.

More important is to consider asthma and allergies. The humidity doesn't exactly help here.

Cheers
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:02 am

Actually with the cold and dampness and the concrete in many apt and homes, it feels like a refrigerator, colder than the actual temperature outside. I keep a propane space heater to knock off the dampness. The other thing is mold, if you are on the coast (Miraflores), you need to be sure that you keep some kind of heater in your home to knock out dampness, or your walls and closets will quickly fill with black and white mold. Your clothing will smell of dampened nold

I personally do not like Lima's weather. I prefer the north (Chiclayo/Pimentel Beach), where it is around 75 degree during winter and 80-85 during the summer, there is a rainy season with heavy rains, but it is short. I am in Lima because we are in the process of building a house in Pimentel, nice rentals are hard to come by in Chiclayo. But as soon as the home is complete, We are out of Lima.

La Molina, which is a city east of LIma, is alot sunnier year round. It depends if you have your heart set on LIma. LA Molina is beautiful and very Suburban. You plan to own a car it is a close alternative to Miraflores.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:09 am

elf.painter wrote:Well it sounds like one of those good news, bad news things. Bad news overcast for nine months...Good news, it doen't rain. lol
But when you say no sun do you mean no sunshine or no sunlight. Can the light from sun get through the overcast?
We are here now and notice overcast days when the sunshine did not break through the clouds and it looked it could rain any minute. Is it like that all winter and with the humidity and lower temps thrown in for good measure?
The big question... can me and my wife accept Lima's winter. I think the best way for us to find out is to come here in July and Aug. and see what it's like.

You can survive the winter with a space heater. The outside temperatures I can deal with, even with overcast. The ice box apts are my issue. I quickly learned a few hours of a space heater in your place, especially where you spend most your time in your home. My office is in my bedroom (big apt) so I keep a space heater there, becasue I do not go out to any other part of the house (only to eat and cook). And the space heater saves me on a laundry bill (mold). I find it very bareable in the winter now. SOme use a dehumidifier to do the same thing and it raised the temperature of the house and takes out the mositure in the air.
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:15 am

I live in Sol de la Molina in the La Molina district and would say during winter its at least 50% sunny days. Other parts of la Molina get less sunny days. It's about 35-50 min by car from Miraflores (depending on traffic)

Fausto
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:48 pm

I'ts horrible, drizzling, cloudy, smoggy, overcast. But it depends where you live. La MOlina is supposed to be decent. Miraflores, forget about it.
cuymagico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cuymagico » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:43 pm

naturegirl wrote:I'ts horrible, drizzling, cloudy, smoggy, overcast. But it depends where you live. La MOlina is supposed to be decent. Miraflores, forget about it.

Amen to that, I live in Miraflores and work in La Molina and in October-November it's shocking to drive home and see the sunny skies replaced by gray clouds in less than 20 minutes. July-September it's gray in La Molina too, at least most days.

What's the sunniest section of Lima or surrounding areas (for those who live there)?
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:45 am

Our Home is in Sol De La Molina and the weather is great. We have lived here for three years and during the winter, enjoy the majority of days in sun shine, with temperatures around 22 to 26 degrees. Summer is of course a lot hotter, reaching 36 degrees and more sometimes. The other important issue is the humidity. We lived a short time in Surquillo and our clothes were always wet with very high humidity, but in La Molina this does not happy. I agree it is 30 minutes by car to places like Miraflores but well worth the time. There is a good bus and taxi service, coupled with a Municipal who take great care of the community. :D

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register