Marriage Counseling

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
circspecialist
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:53 am

Marriage Counseling

Postby circspecialist » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:06 am

I would Like to know if there is anyone here in Peru that has any information on Marriage Counselors. Does not seem to be any in Lima or the surrounding subburbs and if there is I have no way of knowing how to find them. Nor does my wife and she is Peruvian. We have asked friends and what little family she does have and no one seem to have a clue. Most common reply is. "Why would you need one of those?" In any event if someone happens to know where one is or could recommend one that would be great! Preferably one that speaks both Spanish and English. Any help would be fantastic. I am currently working abroad and do so on a rotational basis. I am 28 days overseas and 28 days back in Peru. I am scheduled to return home to Peru on the 25th of February and would like to have some information prior to that so me and my wife can make an appointment the following week.

Thank you

Regards

AR


iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Chiclayo

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby iskndarbey » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:50 pm

I'm sure they exist but don't know of any. Any psychiatrist in Lima should be able to give you a referral. People who need marriage counseling but can't afford a specialist do it through their church.
User avatar
antonio
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby antonio » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:49 pm

Psycologists also work as marriage counseling.. I think it is a sort of specialization in this area..
Guest

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:48 am

Hi,

I recommend you go to http://www.ifasil.com/staff.html
They are experts in marriage/family counseling, I'm sure you will find a bilingual speaking counselor among the staff.

Also, you can call Verónica Gulman, she's also a marriage/family counselor. Her Centre's phone is 368-2974. She's Peruvian, but does speak English.

You can also contact the Centro de Psicoterapia Psicoanalítica, they offer individual and couple's counseling http://www.cppl.org.

These recommended professionals are Psychologists, Psychiatrists don't always provide marriage counseling, it is more common to find Psychologists who do.

Please feel free to PM me if you need any additional info. I am a psychologist, but don't do clinical work. I can surely help you look around.

I hope you find a way to work things out.
Antonella
circspecialist
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby circspecialist » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:29 am

Thank you so much. That is the best information I have received. I have contacted both places and am waiting to hear back. Thank you once again. :D :D
Guest

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:56 am

That's great!
I would try calling on Monday, though. Just to make sure you communicate with them.

All the best,
Antonella
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:38 pm
Location: Tarapoto

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby euroman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:35 pm

On Avenida Larco in Miraflores, there's a introduction agency called [mod edit]
If you contact them, they will help you to find a marriage counceller. The manager her name is Sarah and she speaks English.
circspecialist
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby circspecialist » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:13 am

This is for Antonella. The phone number you gave for Veronica Gulman (368-2974) is not a working number. My wife tried it many different ways and she knows how to dial Peru numbers. But with no luck on this one. Would you happen to have another number for Ms. Gulman. Thank you
iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Chiclayo

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby iskndarbey » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:27 am

I've decided I'm now a great fan of euroman. He always gives utterly bizarre advice that I would recommend everyone avoid putting into practice, but his telling people to go to a mail-order bride agency in order to fix their marriage has officially changed my opinion from disdain to approval.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:38 pm
Location: Tarapoto

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby euroman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:58 pm

iskndarbey wrote:I'm sure they exist but don't know of any. Any psychiatrist in Lima should be able to give you a referral. People who need marriage counseling but can't afford a specialist do it through their church.


It's not a mail order bride agency. It's a descent agency that has been running for 10 years.
It will not the first time anyone asks them for this kind of advice.

But your advice to sent people to church to solve their marriage???? That's bizar advice. Yeah, actually it might be a solution, sent them to the confession box and when they come out all problems and sins are forgotten. Good advice.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby americorps » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:27 pm

I have to echo iskndarbey, i went to the website and was horrofied at the idea of sending someone there to find marriage counseling.

The service offers a package deal to provide tours to foreign countries to meet single women packaged with a fiancee visa lawyer service.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:38 pm
Location: Tarapoto

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby euroman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:49 pm

They have an office on Avenida Larco. A friend of mine used their service and met someone through them. They are getting married in March.
Ok, they offer tours too to others countries.

Fiancee visa lawyer advice??? Never heard about that. Anybody who's married to an EU citizin is entitled to live and work in Europe without restrictions. A visa will and must always be granted.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby americorps » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:05 pm

Fiancee visa lawyer advice??? Never heard about that. Anybody who's married to an EU citizin is entitled to live and work in Europe without restrictions. A visa will and must always be granted.


A fiancee is not married.

And the lawyer was American...

and the website offers IMBRA disclaimer, as required for any marriage broker.
iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Chiclayo

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby iskndarbey » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:26 pm

euroman wrote:
iskndarbey wrote:I'm sure they exist but don't know of any. Any psychiatrist in Lima should be able to give you a referral. People who need marriage counseling but can't afford a specialist do it through their church.


It's not a mail order bride agency. It's a descent agency that has been running for 10 years.
It will not the first time anyone asks them for this kind of advice.

But your advice to sent people to church to solve their marriage???? That's bizar advice. Yeah, actually it might be a solution, sent them to the confession box and when they come out all problems and sins are forgotten. Good advice.


I wasn't recommending that people go to church, just mentioning what 90% of people in Peru do in this situation. I imagine your parish priest will at least be familiar with the registered professionals in your area as it's something he deals with on a daily basis, although I too would be a little wary of getting relationship advice from someone who believes that divorce is a sin and who has made a lifelong vow of chastity!
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:38 pm
Location: Tarapoto

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby euroman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:12 am

Divorce is not a sin. People divorce all the time. It's normal that after some time people get enough of each other divorce.
User avatar
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:39 am
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby susita83 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:57 pm

iskndarbey wrote:I've decided I'm now a great fan of euroman. He always gives utterly bizarre advice that I would recommend everyone avoid putting into practice, but his telling people to go to a mail-order bride agency in order to fix their marriage has officially changed my opinion from disdain to approval.


I think he misunderstood and thought that the OP needed help getting married, like finding a wife. That's what it sounds like to me.
User avatar
iron butterfly
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:00 am

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby iron butterfly » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:09 am

susita83, You are brilliant!!!!
User avatar
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:39 am
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby susita83 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:44 pm

iron butterfly wrote:susita83, You are brilliant!!!!


Was sarcasm intended in this response? :? I'm confused.
User avatar
iron butterfly
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:00 am

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby iron butterfly » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:47 pm

No sarcasm was intended. I meant it as a compliment. You have read eromans posts with a truly discerning eye and saw what many had not. Too many people are unable to see past their own nose, you seem not one of them.
User avatar
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:39 am
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby susita83 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:42 pm

iron butterfly wrote:No sarcasm was intended. I meant it as a compliment. You have read eromans posts with a truly discerning eye and saw what many had not. Too many people are unable to see past their own nose, you seem not one of them.


oh okay :) I wasn't sure. Thank you!

I know that English isn't his first language, and a lot is lost in translation... especially on a message board.
User avatar
fenduvial
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Magdalena del Mar

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby fenduvial » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:43 am

I highly recommend Rosa Goldfarb, a psychologist working in Surco. She is listed on the US Embassy medical resources list.

Tampumachay 309 - Apt. 102 - Surco
217-6798
User avatar
eugene.in.peru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:57 pm

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby eugene.in.peru » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:45 pm

probably cheaper to just hire a good divorce attorney and be done with it, www.mujeresabogadas.com will be fraction of what a shrink charges
User avatar
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:53 pm

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby DC_20833 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:51 pm

I am sorry your marriage is going through difficult times. I can give Dr. Jorge Calderon Marttini the highest recommendation. I have seen him for over 3 years and I am bipolar. I have come a long way since I started seeing him. Here are his contact details email: [email protected] his cell phone number is 999-275-813. He is out of the country until January 16, 2018. He charges s/. 150.00 for a session whether it lasts 5 minutes or 5 hours. His website is http://www.perupsychdoc.com/ He is only in Lima on Fridays. He was born in the states and came back to Peru and speaks both excellent Spanish and English.

If you want to just sit down and talk I do that too. I am not a professional but I am a good listener. I will pray for you. My email is [email protected] and my cell phone number is 997-680-524. I charge nothing.
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:05 pm

DC_20833 wrote:I am sorry your marriage is going through difficult times. I can give Dr. Jorge Calderon Marttini the highest recommendation. I have seen him for over 3 years and I am bipolar. I have come a long way since I started seeing him. Here are his contact details email: [email protected] his cell phone number is 999-275-813. He is out of the country until January 16, 2018. He charges s/. 150.00 for a session whether it lasts 5 minutes or 5 hours. His website is http://www.perupsychdoc.com/ He is only in Lima on Fridays. He was born in the states and came back to Peru and speaks both excellent Spanish and English.

If you want to just sit down and talk I do that too. I am not a professional but I am a good listener. I will pray for you. My email is [email protected] and my cell phone number is 997-680-524. I charge nothing.


Did counseling with him help ur marriage?
User avatar
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:53 pm

Re: Marriage Counseling

Postby DC_20833 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:39 pm

DC_20833 wrote:I am sorry your marriage is going through difficult times. I can give Dr. Jorge Calderon Marttini the highest recommendation. I have seen him for over 3 years and I am bipolar. I have come a long way since I started seeing him. Here are his contact details email: [email protected] his cell phone number is 999-275-813. He is out of the country until January 16, 2018. He charges s/. 150.00 for a session whether it lasts 5 minutes or 5 hours. His website is http://www.perupsychdoc.com/ He is only in Lima on Fridays. He was born in the states and came back to Peru and speaks both excellent Spanish and English.

If you want to just sit down and talk I do that too. I am not a professional but I am a good listener. I will pray for you. My email is [email protected] and my cell phone number is 997-680-524. I charge nothing.


My phone number has changed to 923-293-052 please call after 7 p.m.

Return to “Expat Information”

cron

Login  •  Register