McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
User avatar
JoshuS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:40 am

McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby JoshuS » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:45 pm

http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews.com ... via/12787/

Fast-food represents the complete opposite of what Bolivians consider a meal should be. To be a good meal, food has to have be prepared with love, dedication, certain hygiene standards and proper cook time.


User avatar
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby rama0929 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:51 pm

Meanwhile, in expatbolivia...
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 843
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby falconagain » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:57 pm

Bolivia is currently the poorest country in South America.
Half of its current population left the country in the last
10 years, and the other half is even poorer now.

To sustain a franchise of any kind, a middle class
is required. Something that is no longer available
in that country. It is obvious that most businesses
(local and foreign) will shutdown on that situation.
User avatar
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby rama0929 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:04 pm

falconagain wrote:Bolivia is currently the poorest country in South America.
Half of its current population left the country in the last
10 years, and the other half is even poorer now.

To sustain a franchise of any kind, a middle class
is required. Something that is no longer available
in that country. It is obvious that most businesses
(local and foreign) will shutdown on that situation.


http://www.boliviabella.com/fast-food.html

I'd have to ask how are the other fast food franchises doing, and how they compare to McDonalds.
User avatar
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:34 pm
Location: Pueblo Libre

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby craig » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:16 pm

:!: I hate to tell you this, but this is old news, very old news. McDonald's left Bolivia almost ten years ago. When they did, they sold all their restaurants to Burger King. They were not shut down. All the old McDonalds restaurants are still operating. This was fortunate for all the ex-McDonald's employees since they were able to keep their jobs, which were prized as highly paid jobs in Bolivia. There has been no McDonald's in Bolivia for a long time.

You seem to have run into an old line of propaganda which you mindlessly tried to propagate because you were too ignorant about Bolivia to know anything about the subject.
Last edited by craig on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby rama0929 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:53 pm

craig wrote::!: I hate to tell you this, but this is old news, very old news. McDonald's left Bolivia over six years ago. When they did, they sold all their restaurants to Burger King. This was fortunate for all the ex-McDonald's employees since they were able to keep their jobs, which were prized as highly paid jobs in Bolivia. There has been no McDonald's in Bolivia for a long time.

You seem to have run into an old line of propaganda which you mindlessly tried to propagate because you were too ignorant about Bolivia to know anything about the subject.


FWIW, the linked article's pimping a documentary about why McDonalds failed in Bolivia. That seems to be the primary focus of the article.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby americorps » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:45 pm

I also noticed that the article mentioned does not actually mirror the posters first comment.

The article talked about a Bolivian tradition of food being a prepared process instead of a fast process, but made no mention whatsoever suggesting that McDonalds had any issue about Hygine standards.

It also sort of failed to mention how price factored in, meaning it seem yet another propoganda piece and far far away from a fair and balanced factual article.

That combined with the plug for the documentary makes this article illegitmate to me in a fair discussion.

Not that I have any interest or love for McDonalds, just an interest in fair and balanced information.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby chi chi » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:09 pm

Good news.

Chains like McDonalds are responsible that a lot of people get obese and get all related diseases associated with obesity.
Especially, the rise of obese children is a problem. And chains like McDonald like to attract children. Even organising birthday parties for children.

I am not against the Mac. Because when I come down to Lima it eat in the Mac too. But I wouldn't miss them if they are gone either.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby americorps » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:37 pm

chi chi wrote:Good news.

Chains like McDonalds are responsible that a lot of people get obese and get all related diseases associated with obesity.
Especially, the rise of obese children is a problem. And chains like McDonald like to attract children. Even organising birthday parties for children.

I am not against the Mac. Because when I come down to Lima it eat in the Mac too. But I wouldn't miss them if they are gone either.


I am obese.

I am obese for a variety of reasons, however, I can not honestly say that McDonalds ever forced me to gain weight. I think your assertion that chains cause obesity is absurd and groundless. All sorts of restaurants serve fatty foods, not just chains and they all offer healthier alternatives as well. I choose what to eat and how to exercise, not the restaurant.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby chi chi » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:11 pm

McDonalds is aiming at children. They host birthday parties for children where they stuff them with junk food.
They give small toys to children. Children want to collect all toys so have to go back many times in order to get all the different toys. And any time they want a toy, they get stuffed with junk food.
And they get fatter and fatter.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby americorps » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:19 pm

how is that the McDonalds fault and not the people who take them and purchase the food?
User avatar
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby rama0929 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:38 pm

chi chi wrote:McDonalds is aiming at children. They host birthday parties for children where they stuff them with junk food.
They give small toys to children. Children want to collect all toys so have to go back many times in order to get all the different toys. And any time they want a toy, they get stuffed with junk food.
And they get fatter and fatter.


Sounds like lousy parenting to me.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:49 pm

rama0929 wrote:
chi chi wrote:McDonalds is aiming at children. They host birthday parties for children where they stuff them with junk food.
They give small toys to children. Children want to collect all toys so have to go back many times in order to get all the different toys. And any time they want a toy, they get stuffed with junk food.
And they get fatter and fatter.


Sounds like lousy parenting to me.


Sure, parenting is getting lousier in the last decades. But modern technology is also to blame for the obesity of children.

In my youth, children went cycling, running, doing sport. If we had to speak to someone we walked to his home. We didn't have a cellphone.
I was cycling to school. Nowadays, they have a moped or take the bus. I saved my pocket money to buy sportshoes or a tennis racket not to go to the MAC or playstation games.

Nowadays, kids are sitting in front of their playstation all day with a can of coke and a bag of crisps.

And when they want to talk to someone standing at the other corner of the street, then they don't walk up to him but call him with their cellphone.
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby Kelly » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:08 pm

Now I'm confused - is it McDonald's or modern technology that's responsible for obesity?
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:19 pm

Kelly wrote:Now I'm confused - is it McDonald's or modern technology that's responsible for obesity?


Both of them.

If their where no junkfood outlet then people cannot go there to get fat.
If children would do more sport rather than sitting in front of their playstation all day with a can of coke and a bag of crisps then they won't get fat.
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby Kelly » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:26 pm

If parents didn't buy McDonalds for their kids, and instead cooked healthy home-made meals, the kids would be less likely to be overweight.

If parents set limits on the amount of time their kids were allowed to play with electronic games and toys, and instead gave them chores, responsibilities, and made them go outside to play a little more often, the kids would be less likely to be overweight.

You talk like people are stupid and don't know how to be responsible for their own actions. McDonald's doesn't go to people's houses and force feed Big Macs and fries. Likewise, the Singularity hasn't come to pass yet, so computers and playstations aren't able to force us to play with them all day. Every parent and every person has the choice of what they want to do - if they make bad decisions, it's their own fault.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:58 pm

Kelly wrote:If parents didn't buy McDonalds for their kids, and instead cooked healthy home-made meals, the kids would be less likely to be overweight.

If parents set limits on the amount of time their kids were allowed to play with electronic games and toys, and instead gave them chores, responsibilities, and made them go outside to play a little more often, the kids would be less likely to be overweight.

You talk like people are stupid and don't know how to be responsible for their own actions. McDonald's doesn't go to people's houses and force feed Big Macs and fries. Likewise, the Singularity hasn't come to pass yet, so computers and playstations aren't able to force us to play with them all day. Every parent and every person has the choice of what they want to do - if they make bad decisions, it's their own fault.


I noticed a lot of overweight people and especially children in Peru. Sounds like many people make bad decisions.
It's not only McDonalds because in most parts of Peru there are no McDonalds. Pollerias are always full of people and what they serve isn´t either a good example of healthy food. Especially the sauces served with the (junk)food.
And the mobile foodstalls that come out after dark all over Peru aren't serving healthy food either. But they are always surounded by customers.
User avatar
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby rama0929 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:35 pm

chi chi wrote:
I noticed a lot of overweight people and especially children in Peru. Sounds like many people make bad decisions.
It's not only McDonalds because in most parts of Peru there are no McDonalds. Pollerias are always full of people and what they serve isn´t either a good example of healthy food. Especially the sauces served with the (junk)food.
And the mobile foodstalls that come out after dark all over Peru aren't serving healthy food either. But they are always surounded by customers.


So then the problem goes back to what Kelly said about people taking responsibility for their own actions.

Obviously people want these food items, or else McDonalds, pollerias & street vendors wouldn't be around to serve them.
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby Kelly » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:55 pm

chi chi wrote:I noticed a lot of overweight people and especially children in Peru. Sounds like many people make bad decisions.
It's not only McDonalds because in most parts of Peru there are no McDonalds. Pollerias are always full of people and what they serve isn´t either a good example of healthy food. Especially the sauces served with the (junk)food.
And the mobile foodstalls that come out after dark all over Peru aren't serving healthy food either. But they are always surounded by customers.



So - In a post about McD's closing in Bolivia, you've gone from saying "Good, because McD's is teh evol, making all our children fat" to "Technology is teh evol, making all our children fat" to "People in Peru (not Bolivia, which for some unknown reason is the point of this thread) eat too much bad food and get fat" - changing your point with every argument against you, and apart from your first comment, having nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

Why would you comment on overweight people in Peru when this post is regarding McDonald's in Bolivia?

Which leads me to believe you don't really have a point, but are in fact bored and are merely looking for people to verbally spar with. I would suggest, if that is the case, that you bring a sharper weapon.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:09 pm

Kelly wrote:
Why would you comment on overweight people in Peru when this post is regarding McDonald's in Bolivia?
.


I thought that post have to be Peru related. That McDonalds closes down in Bolivia has nothing to do with Peru.
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby Kelly » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:46 pm

I agree with you on that; but I do not moderate the News and Views forum.

That has nothing to do with the fact that you consistently change the point of view of your arguments, again, leading me to believe you have no point other than to argue.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Kelly wrote:I agree with you on that; but I do not moderate the News and Views forum.

That has nothing to do with the fact that you consistently change the point of view of your arguments, again, leading me to believe you have no point other than to argue.


I give my opinion and what I think of things. And I am interested in other people their opinion and thoughts as well. I don't want to argua. I don't say either that other people are wrong.
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2856
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby Alan » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:19 pm

chi chi wrote:
Kelly wrote:
Why would you comment on overweight people in Peru when this post is regarding McDonald's in Bolivia?
.


I thought that post have to be Peru related. That McDonalds closes down in Bolivia has nothing to do with Peru.


Just a quick mod explanation:

This post seems relevant (though obviously dated) because Bolivia is a neighboring country and the govt that was elected there has similarities (supposedly) with our newly elected government here. Also, McDonald's has been a theme on this board before, so that seemed relevant too.

Coincidentally, the other day I took my kids to McDonalds along with an 11 year old from the highlands who had never been to Lima before and I ordered them all a crappy, i mean happy, meal. The rural kid took one bite of the cheeseburger and wouldn´t touch of the rest. I also noticed that these happy meals now include a baggy full of sliced apples now and a smaller portion of fries. Guess the obesity-related publicity is getting to them.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby americorps » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Kelly wrote:I agree with you on that; but I do not moderate the News and Views forum.

That has nothing to do with the fact that you consistently change the point of view of your arguments, again, leading me to believe you have no point other than to argue.


I was wondering if I were the only one to have noticed that.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 843
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby falconagain » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:41 pm

I am Peruvian and I am obese but I do not eat McDonalds very often (maybe once a year).
So I do not see an reason to blame them. We all have free will. Some people are able to
keep themselves skinny. Others cannot help it and even like to eat a lot. To each his own.
User avatar
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby rama0929 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:48 pm

falconagain wrote:I am Peruvian and I am obese but I do not eat McDonalds very often (maybe once a year).
So I do not see an reason to blame them. We all have free will. Some people are able to
keep themselves skinny. Others cannot help it and even like to eat a lot. To each his own.


It makes for a convenient scapegoat...

Welcome to Peru, where it's always someone else's fault :lol:
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:08 am

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby jude » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:51 am

JoshuS wrote:http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews.com/notitas-de-noticias/details/mcdonalds-closes-all-their-restaurants-in-bolivia/12787/

Fast-food represents the complete opposite of what Bolivians consider a meal should be. To be a good meal, food has to have be prepared with love, dedication, certain hygiene standards and proper cook time.


I agree that food prepared with love and dedication is the best, I'm sure we all love mom's cooking. That aside the "certain hygiene standards" if funny. Bolivia is notorious among South American travelers as the place you're most likely to pick up a stomach bug or intestinal parasite.
User avatar
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby rama0929 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:15 am

Alan wrote:
Coincidentally, the other day I took my kids to McDonalds along with an 11 year old from the highlands who had never been to Lima before and I ordered them all a crappy, i mean happy, meal. The rural kid took one bite of the cheeseburger and wouldn´t touch of the rest. I also noticed that these happy meals now include a baggy full of sliced apples now and a smaller portion of fries. Guess the obesity-related publicity is getting to them.


FWIW, McDonalds has been featuring "healthy" items on their menu for quite some time in the states.
User avatar
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:55 am

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby calygirl » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:07 pm

interesting article on what happened in San Francisco and how McDonalds got around it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/3 ... 21186.html
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby chi chi » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:45 pm

rama0929 wrote:
Alan wrote:
FWIW, McDonalds has been featuring "healthy" items on their menu for quite some time in the states.


The have also healthy items on their menu in Peru.

My gf doesn't eat comida chatarra so when we go to the MAC then she eat's one of those salads and they are very good and fresh.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby chi chi » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:46 pm

User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2856
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby Alan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:41 pm

Poor Eating Habits Cost Peru $8 Billion Per Year

January 5, 2012 by Andean Air Mail & PERUVIAN TIMES

Poor eating habits that lead to illnesses such as diabetes and high blood pressure cost Peru some $8 billion per year, the Health Ministry said on Wednesday
Deputy Health minister Enrique Jacoby said the figure could increase and may affect the country’s development. In recent days, government officials have talked about placing a tax on junk food in an attempt to promote healthier eating.
“This extremely high figure creates a dilemma for the state because if we don’t act, the expenditure is going to eat up our budget,” state news agency Andina reported Jacoby saying.

http://www.peruviantimes.com/05/poor-ea ... ial/14631/
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby chi chi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:50 pm

Alan wrote:Poor Eating Habits Cost Peru $8 Billion Per Year

January 5, 2012 by Andean Air Mail & PERUVIAN TIMES

Poor eating habits that lead to illnesses such as diabetes and high blood pressure cost Peru some $8 billion per year, the Health Ministry said on Wednesday
Deputy Health minister Enrique Jacoby said the figure could increase and may affect the country’s development. In recent days, government officials have talked about placing a tax on junk food in an attempt to promote healthier eating.
“This extremely high figure creates a dilemma for the state because if we don’t act, the expenditure is going to eat up our budget,” state news agency Andina reported Jacoby saying.

http://www.peruviantimes.com/05/poor-ea ... ial/14631/


I am wondering houw much the cost for poor eating habits is in Europe and the US? I think it will be much higher.
User avatar
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: McDonald’s goes under in Bolivia

Postby rama0929 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:51 pm

chi chi wrote:
Alan wrote:Poor Eating Habits Cost Peru $8 Billion Per Year

January 5, 2012 by Andean Air Mail & PERUVIAN TIMES

Poor eating habits that lead to illnesses such as diabetes and high blood pressure cost Peru some $8 billion per year, the Health Ministry said on Wednesday
Deputy Health minister Enrique Jacoby said the figure could increase and may affect the country’s development. In recent days, government officials have talked about placing a tax on junk food in an attempt to promote healthier eating.
“This extremely high figure creates a dilemma for the state because if we don’t act, the expenditure is going to eat up our budget,” state news agency Andina reported Jacoby saying.

http://www.peruviantimes.com/05/poor-ea ... ial/14631/


I am wondering houw much the cost for poor eating habits is in Europe and the US? I think it will be much higher.


Given the higher cost of living, it would not surprise me if that were the case.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register