Mancora

This is the spot for Peru travel tips and general queries about travel in Peru.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

calledtoperu2009
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mancora

Postby calledtoperu2009 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi! I am trying to find out a bit about your personal experiences with Mancora.

I am looking for an inexpensive, safe getaway for the wife and I. Mancora seemed to tick off all the boxes. Unfortunately we don't know anyone there, or anyone that has personally gone there.

A couple of questions:

How is the weather right now? Worth swimming??? I am hoping it is a bit warmer than Lima!!!

Any recommendations on hotels? Prices?

Any ideas on the cost to get a taxi from Piura to Mancora?

Any ideas on the cost of some decent restaurants?

Thanks for the help!!!

calledtoperu2009
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Mancora

Postby calledtoperu2009 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:15 pm

Anybody?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue May 15, 2012 11:48 pm

I've been to Mancora last year.

All year round the weather is hot.
Restaurants charge around 5 soles for a menu.

A clean descent hostel costs around 40 soles per night.

Don't take a taxi from Piura to Mancora. Take a collectivo.
redrum
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby redrum » Wed May 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Just ignore the advice from chi chi.
You wouldn't want to take a 3 hour car ride in a collectivo. A taxi charges between 200 - 300 soles from the Piura airport to Punta Sal / Mancora. I have a contact there that is a taxi driver / tour guide. If you want I can give you his number. Also would recomend Punta Sal over Mancora, much better if you are looking to take a vacation with your wife. Stay at Cabellito Del Mar, best hotel for the price in Punta Sal. Right on the beach, good food, and nice pool.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Wed May 16, 2012 3:16 pm

I been traveling to Mancora/Punta Sal every year for the past 5 years. I totally agree with redrum's advice about the not taking the collectivo. We fly into Tumbes and a taxi from Tumbes to Mancora typically costs about 40 soles. It sounds like it's more expensive from Piura, but well worth it. Mancora and Punta Sal are very different....Mancora attracts the younger set (not sure of what you're looking for in your vacation). There are alot of bars and restaurants in downtown Mancora. We stayed in Pocitas (or little Mancora) at nice place called Grandmere, rooms typically run about $80-$90. Punta Sal is smaller and quieter, but the beach is much better than Mancora. Mancora beaches typically have alot of rocks. We stayed at several places in Punta Sal, also stayed at Punta Sal Club, which is a beach resort and all inclusive, which includes three meals a day. This past year we never made to either Mancora or Punta Sal. We went to Zorritos and stayed at the Mango Costa Azul. We loved it there so much we never wanted to leave. It's closer to Tumbes, so we went to several recommended restaurants there for lunch. We took a tour of the mangroves, which was fun and also visited a mineral springs mud bath close to Zorritos. Whatever you decide, have a great trip!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed May 16, 2012 10:52 pm

redrum wrote:Just ignore the advice from chi chi.
You wouldn't want to take a 3 hour car ride in a collectivo. A taxi charges between 200 - 300 soles from the Piura airport to Punta Sal / Mancora.

Just ignore my advice??? But what an advice from you! Suggesting to pay 200-300 soles for a taxi ride.
Do you work as a taxi driver in Mancora or something?
Not everyone can afford your 200-300 soles taxi ride.

I am sure there will be buscompanies that go from Piura to Mancora.

http://www.travbuddy.com/How-to-go-to-M ... ra-v311021
redrum
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby redrum » Thu May 17, 2012 9:13 am

chi chi wrote:
redrum wrote:Just ignore the advice from chi chi.
You wouldn't want to take a 3 hour car ride in a collectivo. A taxi charges between 200 - 300 soles from the Piura airport to Punta Sal / Mancora.

Just ignore my advice??? But what an advice from you! Suggesting to pay 200-300 soles for a taxi ride.
Do you work as a taxi driver in Mancora or something?
Not everyone can afford your 200-300 soles taxi ride.

I am sure there will be buscompanies that go from Piura to Mancora.

http://www.travbuddy.com/How-to-go-to-M ... ra-v311021

ok correction...if you want to travel 3 hours with sweaty stangers in an overcrowded car or micro TAKE CHI CHI"S advice. if you want to travel in comfort with your wife for 3 hours and you can afford to pay 200 - 300 soles for a car to Mancora or Punta Sal, take my advice
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 17, 2012 11:25 pm

redrum wrote:ok correction...if you want to travel 3 hours with sweaty stangers in an overcrowded car or micro TAKE CHI CHI"S advice. if you want to travel in comfort with your wife for 3 hours and you can afford to pay 200 - 300 soles for a car to Mancora or Punta Sal, take my advice

There are many buscompanies too and most of the buses have airco and they give you a meal during long trips.

And 200-300 for a taxi ride, that must be the gringo fare.
redrum
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby redrum » Fri May 18, 2012 6:37 am

chi chi wrote:
redrum wrote:ok correction...if you want to travel 3 hours with sweaty stangers in an overcrowded car or micro TAKE CHI CHI"S advice. if you want to travel in comfort with your wife for 3 hours and you can afford to pay 200 - 300 soles for a car to Mancora or Punta Sal, take my advice

There are many buscompanies too and most of the buses have airco and they give you a meal during long trips.

And 200-300 for a taxi ride, that must be the gringo fare.

300km is a long trip for a taxi, and the fare they charge is on average 1sol /km. it is what they charge to Peruvians/tourists alike and is not what you refer to as a "gringo fare".
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomasb » Sat May 19, 2012 9:08 am

I took the bus once from Piura to Mancora. This was five years ago. The Piura bus terminal was not air-conditioned and was basically outside under a metal or wooden awning. Fortunately, it was mid May so not as hot waiting for the bus to arrive as it could have been. The bus was old, not air conditioned, crowded, and stopped at every podunk aldea from Piura to Mancora. I regretted doing this as it was a bad way to start my vacation. At least I was solo and did not have to endure disapproving glances from my significant other.

The water is always warm in Mancora and it is hot but there are nice breezes on the beach. The town is much hotter but the traffic is ridiculous as it is located on the PanAm highway. They should put a diversion in but it will never happen.

I remember great tuna steaks for 15 soles. Also cheap places on beach to stay or 45 soles. Great place to learn to surf. Ask for Sophie. She is a famous surf instructor there.
shane

Postby shane » Mon May 21, 2012 11:55 am

There are lots of buses from piura to mancora, they are comfortable and cheap. I cannot think of a reason why anyone would pay 100 dollars or more for a taxi !When you arrive in mancora, look to your right as you cross the dry river bed. There are 3 or 4 cheap hostels, they charge around 10 dollars per night for private room with bathroom, they are perfectly acceptable. If you want some thing a bit better, there are loads of hotels around 50 dollars per night.
limaclub

Postby limaclub » Mon May 21, 2012 2:57 pm

Last time I travelled to Mancora I also flew into Piura but I hired a car for the weekend, the drivers thankfully seemed much tamer than here in Lima!! Here is a link to a car hire company we recommend http://www.northperurentacar.com.pe/inicioeng.htm

Or a more luxury bus company from Piura to Mancora is EPPO- http://www.eppo.com.pe/

As for hotels we can offer discounts for member on a few hotels in Mancora, a good one for couples would be Balsa & Totora Máncora- http://www.balsaytotora.com/index2.html

Remember we are here to offer advice all over South America so please feel free to call in and see us. With our membership you could save a lot of money and energy on future trip planning.
Saludos,

South American Explorers,
956 Enrique Palacios,
Miraflores,
Lima 18.
Tel: 01 447 7731

http://www.saexplorers.org

Open: Mon-Fri: 0930 – 1700 (Weds: 2000); Sat: 0930 - 1300
ShawnKitty

Postby ShawnKitty » Thu May 31, 2012 10:34 am

My fiance arrived and Saturday May 26th so far love it.
Good weather, cheap food, and drinks.
Good prices on places to stay.

great website with lots of info
http://www.vivamancora.com/english/mancora2.1.htm

Hope it helps..good luck
meggyrosey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby meggyrosey » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:42 pm

I was wondering if anyone has recently flown into Piura and taken transportation to Mancora? I have been looking for a safe transport but have been unable to get in contact with any contacts posted in the earlier chain. Does anyone have a contact to recommend that would be great!
lycaena

Postby lycaena » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:30 am

I live in Máncora for already 3 years. If you want to know or need help with transportation/hotel/ enz , you can send me an email.
nieves

Postby nieves » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:18 pm

We were in Mancora last week and took a taxi from the airport in Piura. For us it was money well spent since we travel with a two year old and arrived at Piura at 8 a clock in the evening. Payed 220 soles, but you can probably get if for a bit less. There is a booth just outside the terminal were we arranged the taxi.
Orangesky

Postby Orangesky » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:14 am

Hi there,

We have travelled to Mancora a few times from Lima, always by bus (cruz del sur or Oltursa). A bit of a long journey but it stops right in central mancora.

We stayed at Las Olas which was basic but really nice. It's mainly for the surfers etc but we weren't there to surf. Was quite reasonable and you are right on the beach. We did stay in punta sal as well at The laughing Crab but it was a bit far out for us, a bit remote and the taxi's were expensive.

I really liked the Bird Cage for drinks and lunch as well.

Enjoy your trip!

Return to “Peru Travel Forum”

Login  •  Register