Quick question about phones and sim cards.

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quick question about phones and sim cards.

Postby danjaker » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:55 pm

I have a cheap nothing special s/60 phone I bought here a couple years back, will it work in Colombia if I just by a claro sim there and throw it in?

teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Quick question about phones and sim cards.

Postby teamoperu » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:17 pm

I have a 2 chip phone and just put different chips in depending on from and to I am travelling... in Colombia I throw in a TIGO Colombia chip and all works fine.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:45 pm

danjaker wrote:I have a cheap nothing special s/60 phone I bought here a couple years back, will it work in Colombia if I just by a claro sim there and throw it in?

It should be an unlocked (desbloqueado) phone. Not absolutely sure though. I
remember some of my Peruvian coleagues using Claro chips to call to Peru in Jamaica. But I'm not sure if they'd bought those cgips iin Jamaica or brought them from home.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:33 pm

Colombia has Claro too, thats why im assuming it would work fine, im just seeing if anyone else has done it.
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby craig » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:36 am

If you have an unlocked GSM phone that operates on the band used by the in country provider you can buy a local SIM card and just stick it in. Your phone does not know or care about the identity of the provider. But trying to roam in another country with a Peruvian SIM card (even from the same provider) is not a good idea and probably will not even work.
--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson
vega

Postby vega » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:54 pm

I haven't used my Claro phone outside of Peru. But just to be sure, I can suggest checking your phone first: insert Movistar or any other provider's SIM card in your phone and see if it connects to that network. If not, it means your phone is locked by Claro.

In this case, you can unlock it by going to Claro website to get a code for unlocking http://www.claro.com.pe/wps/portal/pe/s ... esbloqueo/ or by going to Claro office to have them unlock it for you. Claro announced this unlocking service starting Jan 2 this year, sent me a text that it's free of charge, not sure if any conditions apply though. Hope this helps:-)
wowry
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby wowry » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:04 pm

We were in Colombia for a month and while we were there, both Claro and Moviestar (prepago) did not work. We have unlocked iPhone so I am sure its not the phone but the sim so we used Tigo chip while we were there.
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:31 am

When we were in Colombia last year, we stopped at a grocery store and bought a Claro sim card. They put it into my unlocked phone for me, gave me my phone number and I was good to go.
Loving Living in Lima

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register