tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Virtual Schools K-12

Postby tupacperu » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:30 pm

We are excited about Virtual Schools in the USA

http://www.pavcs.org/Why_PAVCS/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_school

We had resigned ourselves to living in Peru 3 months out of the year. My son just started kindergarten, we thought of going to a state with a year-round program and taking the winter vacation track (Dec-Feb).This would enable us to be in Peru for the summer.

We accidently came up on concept of virtual schools, which means we can live and visit in Peru anytime we would like. Wow, how technology is changing things. I work from a virtual office and have traveled many places outside of the USA, and maintained my job with VOIP and internet connection.

We plan to use my parents address in Pennsylvania next year to enroll my son in a Virtual School (September 2009 ). Then we will be free to travel between the USA and our home in Pimentel (Chiclayo) Peru.

We wanted to pass this information on to expats that are in a similar situation. Though I do not find American schools up to par, I enjoy the mobility that Virtual Schools offer. Then again, I have always believed that eductaion starts at home :).

tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:32 pm

The great thing is that it is free !
Created to relieve overcrowded schools.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:35 pm

List of schools:

Canada

British Columbia
Abbotsford Virtual School [1]

Ontario
Peel District School Board Continuing Education Online[2]
Toronto District School Board Virtual School[3]
Toronto Catholic District School Board eClass Online Learning[4]
York Region District School Board Virtual Schooling[5]

United States

California
Southern California Virtual High School [6][7]
Dunlap Leadership Academy [8]

Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School [9]
Pennsylvania Virtual Charter School [10]

Alaska
The Fairbanks B.E.S.T. Program [11]

Oklahoma
Oklahoma Virtual High School [12]

Arkansas
Arkansas Virtual High School [13]

Delaware
Delaware Virtual School [14]

Florida
Florida Virtual School [15]

Illinois
Illinois Virtual High School [16]

Kansas
Basehor-Linwood Virtual School [17]

Kentucky
The Kentucky Virtual High School [18]

Louisiana
Louisiana Virtual School [19]

Maryland
Maryland Virtual High School of Science and Mathematics [20]
Maryland Virtual Learning/Maryland Virtual School (MVS) [21]

Michigan
Michigan Virtual School [22]
Ann Arbor Virtual School [23]

Minnesota
Minnesota Online High School [24]
Minnesota Virtual High School [25]

Missouri
Missouri Virtual Instruction Program [26]

Nevada
Washoe Online Learning for the Future (WOLF) [27]

New Hampshire
Virtual Learning Academy [28]

North Carolina
North Carolina Virtual Public School[29]
North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics Distance Learning Technologies [30]

North Dakota
North Dakota Division of Independent Study[31]

Ohio
ECOT (Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow)[32]

Texas
Texas Virtual School[33]

Utah
Utah Electronic High School [34]

Virginia
Virginia Virtual Advanced Placement School[35]

Washington state
Washington Virtual Academy (WAVA) [36]
Columbia Virtual Academy (CVA) [37]
Okanogan Regional Learning Academy [38]
The Marysville Move Up Program [39]

West Virginia
West Virginia Virtual School [40]
Salem Virtual School [41]

Wisconsin
Wisconsin Virtual Academy [42]
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:38 pm

The virtual school concept in Florida started back when I was in High School. I'm considering moving back to the States until my husband gets his citizenship, but my huge concern is education for our girls.

My youngest is 3 years old and she is very intelligent. Unfortunately public schools in Florida are not adequately equipped to stimulate smart children. I loathe the thought of a Preschool since she is as intelligent as a 5 year old.

My other daughter, 6, did not learn a scrap of English in her ESOL class or even how to identify letters and numbers while she was in Kindergarten in the States. Now she is well advanced since studying in Peru, I'd hate to enroll her in the 1st grade in Florida when I know her education level is equal to that of the 2nd grade.

In Peru, I don't really have to work, but in the States if I want to enroll my children in a private school to avoid the public school route then I'll have to look for a job and in a State like Florida it's hard to come by right now. We're also outside of the income bracket to qualify for a scholarship.

I'm glad you posted the links. I'm going to take a look. I refuse to allow a U.S. education to fail my daughters like it did in my own experience.

Florida had year round schools when I was in elementary school, but discontinued the practice shortly after.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:33 pm

There are still year round schools in Florida - at least in Brevard county, that I know of.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:55 pm

rgamarra wrote:The virtual school concept in Florida started back when I was in High School. I'm considering moving back to the States until my husband gets his citizenship, but my huge concern is education for our girls.

Rachel, you've worked so hard to be here in Peru. YOur husband will be getting citizenship mid 2009, right? IS it worth it to go back to Florida for six months and then come back and have to get settled all over again here?

Sure, kids are resiliant, but pulling them out of schools is tough. My two cents, either stay here and wait for your husband to get citizenship. Or go back to Florida, but stay there. Bouncing around is no fun.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:44 pm

rgamarra, I agree, my stepson is 6 and enrolled in a school in Pennsylvania. This is a blue Ribbon School district, and the community Abington, PA was vote one of the best 100 places to live in the USA.

His first year in school in Peru he was doing stuff beyond his grade and years. Giving lectures before the class on characteristics of animal and the solar system.

I am not pleased with his current education in the USA. He does his work with ease, too easily for me. His ESL classes are not doing too much for him either. He has learned more english from his grandparents , video games, TV and his friends.

I am seriously looking into virtual schools to homeschool him, and letting interact with kids in other activities (museum, sports etc....).

He is a very bright kid, even his teachers in the USA say so. He does not have to speak english and he is suceeding in school.

I plan evaluate him in June, to decide whether to return to Peru.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:48 pm

Florida has year round schools, but some counties shutdown year-round after protest from parents.
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:15 pm

I went to Orange County public schools in Florida (Orlando) and my daughter attended public school in Osceola County (Kissimmee.)

I was on "Yellow track" which meant I got an extra long Christmas break. I think parents complained about the year round school b/c they didn't have much choice when it came to choosing tracks. The tracks were assigned.

In the case of my daughter, ESL class taught her ZERO English and Puerto Rican Spanish -- And we all know how Puerto Ricans speak "Spanish."

I've been taking a good look at the virtual schools. It's really advanced since it was first introduced when I was in High School.

Florida virtual school is only for Middle and H.S. right now.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:08 pm

What about plain homeschooling? I went through Christian Liberty Satellite System for a year, definetly worth it. Lots of subjects, much more than a public school.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:01 pm

rgamarra
If you have family in other states, register your children in that state.
I use my parents address in Abington, PA. We are here now and all it took was a notarized letter from my parents saying I rent here.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register