Riverboat from Pucallpa to Iquitos.

This is the spot for Peru travel tips and general queries about travel in Peru.

Moderator: ExpatPeruMods

Rick Kaale

Riverboat from Pucallpa to Iquitos.

Postby Rick Kaale » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:57 am

Hello,

In july we are leaving to Peru for a month. In that month we want to travel by boat from Pucallpa to Iquitos, is there someone who has done that route?

And the distance from Cusco to Pucallpa can we do it by bus?

Mayby someone has other sugestions for a boat trip over the amazone..?

Thank's in advance.... :D

My e-mail is rick@kaale.nl

stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:49 pm

Taking a river boat from Pucallpa to Iquitos is completely normal and common. You´ll have a few boats to choose from, choose a bigger one even if you have to wait longer. The ride involves going forward with a constant view of trees.

Cusco to Pucallpa is the fun part, and the hard part. It will take a little while, you will be on a few different local buses, on bumpy roads going through areas that don´t see tourists. Do not give yourself a fixed timetable, expect delays take water and warm clothes. Stop off in large towns to break up the journey so you can do it over a few days.
limaclub

Postby limaclub » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:58 am

Hi all,

Our advices about a boat between Iquitos and Pucallpa are very simple : Find the Captain ! Do not believe the sign announcing the destination and the time of departure, neihter the people around the boat, believe what the Captain tells you about his boat (and still !) Pay once IN the boat and to the Captain himself.

Bring water and extra food. Generally the boat leave at the end of the afternoon 6-7PM, take 4-6 days and cost around $20-25, but ask the Captain !! Choose a place far from the engine and the light spot (insects).

Stuart is right for the Cusco-Pucallpa part. I will add this: if you take a night bus, bring your sleeping bag with you.

PS: more info at the Lima Club
Saludos,

South American Explorers,
956 Enrique Palacios,
Miraflores,
Lima 18.
Tel: 01 447 7731

http://www.saexplorers.org

Open: Mon-Fri: 0930 – 1700 (Weds: 2000); Sat: 0930 - 1300
justina

I did this trip...

Postby justina » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:05 pm

It is incredible.
Here http://www.warmiboa.com/?p=139 i posted more information about it: prices, things to take, and stuff.
I really recommend it.! the jungle is enchanted...
iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iskndarbey » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:22 am

It's also possible to go by boat from Cusco (Quillabamba) to Pucallpa, through Camisea, Sepahua and Atalaya, but obviously this will take longer than a bus.

Return to “Peru Travel Forum”

Login  •  Register