Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

rozzy
Gold Member
Gold Member

That return ticket home??

Postby rozzy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:55 pm

Hi Guys
Before i left Aus..Qantas said i had to buy return ticket..as no return ticket to Peru was no entry into the country...so i did
I originally thought i could just buy a 1 way ticket :oops: and purchase a return when ready
This ticket is valid 12 months
Now has anyone had experince with return ticket
do i just let the date pass and loose the ticket..i have no intentions as yet of leaving this lovely city/country
i dont think i can ask for any refund either???

when ready do i just buy a ticket for my return in LiMA
Also when boarder crossing to get my 183 days again are they going to ask me for any proof of return ticket
so many questions sorry..i dont want to end up in a peruvian jail :cry:
Any help would be grateful
Thanks
Ros :D

markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:10 am

When I last flew into lima just over a year ago I had no intention on returning home for some while so I tried to book a one way ticket with my prefered airline KLM. They didn't say I couldn't book a one way ticket, but what they did say was that I could only book one way if I was traveling first class. I subsequently bought a standard return and let the return part of the ticket lapse as thas was the cheaper option.
As regards borer hopping, all they want to see is a valid passport.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:18 am

I have a print-out of a reservation for a bus ticket from Tacna to Arica, the law does NOT require a return ticket, it only requires an ticketed exit plan from Peru.
ChocolateAddict

Return Ticket

Postby ChocolateAddict » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:37 am

I booked a one-way ticket to Lima on Spirit Air. When I checked in, the woman at the desk insisted that I needed a return ticket, since I "was flying on a US passport".

I am not entirely sure that this is true, but there was no way I was getting on the plane to Lima if I didn´t purchase a return ticket to the US right then and there. This woman was adamant!
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:37 am

First of all, never fly spirit air, their CEO flat out admitted that they do not offer customer service and will never admit a customer was right. When things go well, they are cheap, but when things go bad, you will get burned and burned badly.

Second, I was on Spirit (my first and last time) and they accepted my onward ticket to Chile. The clerk was too stupid, but I made him contact the company to clarify the regs.
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Return Ticket

Postby cajun jamie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:41 pm

ChocolateAddict wrote:I booked a one-way ticket to Lima on Spirit Air. When I checked in, the woman at the desk insisted that I needed a return ticket, since I "was flying on a US passport".

I am not entirely sure that this is true, but there was no way I was getting on the plane to Lima if I didn´t purchase a return ticket to the US right then and there. This woman was adamant!

Spirit Air did the same to me. At first tried to charge me $400 for a return ticket, but I knew the price was $245, so she changed it.

Spirit Air is VERY open in boasting that people do not fly Spirit because they WANT to, they fly Spirit because they NEED to. Spirit has the lowest paid pilots in the Airbus fleet, who are also striking. The President is a greedy, nickel and dimer who makes his personal fortune by running a shady administration.

The sad thing is that people buy into his lunacy. I've done it, but not again.

Saying you saved a few bucks by shopping at Goodwill, or a Discount Store is admirable and thrifty.

Admitting you saved a few bucks by flying Spirit is like saying you just found a half-eaten drumstick in the trash for lunch. Not something you want to brag about.
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:47 pm

I think Qantas wouldn´t sell you a one way economy ticket to Lima via Auckland and SCL, if that is what you´re trying to do. They didn´t in the past. The way around it could be flying to LAX and get a one way from there, or return, that would be much cheaper anyway. They never asked me for a return ticket on entering Peru, just how many days I want. Maybe I was just lucky, maybe they have this requirement only for people traveling from the US (I was always coming from Madrid or Santiago). I would ask Qantas if they have tickets valid for more than a year, it would cost more, but will allow you to use the return part later on. Some RTW tickets are like that.
travelinman.rr

One Way Ticket

Postby travelinman.rr » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:46 pm

If you still haven't figured this out, I suggest going online and emailing the Customer Care desk at Quantas. You may want to ask them what your options are regarding the return ticket. Ask if you can extend the time - although there may be a fee - as I just looked on their website and found they have a link in their FAQs about "open-ended" tickets. Maybe you can make a switch for a price lower than the cost of buying a return ticket outright? Worth a quick email to them to find out.

Also, thought I don't know specifically about Quantas, you should have no problems buying a one-way ticket to leave Lima when you're ready. I'm from the U.S. and can do this on American Airlines. Maybe you can also ask them that in the email. Buena Suerte!

Chao,
Rick
rozzy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rozzy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:57 pm

Thanks everyone i did fly Sydney Auckland then to Santiago and Lima
All good advice
Customer service first place to start asking questions and why didnt i think of that :oops: :oops: jejejejeje..im blonde no not really :D
pingouin59
Gold Member
Gold Member

round trip

Postby pingouin59 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:17 pm

Anyway, most of the time a one way ticket is almost, if not more expensive than a round trip ticket. At least that is what I found out with Continental. Coming to Lima on July 13 for a nice $ 625 (Columbia, SC to Lima round trip) return ticket is scheduled for Sept 14. I will cancel the return and keep the credit for one year

Gerard
Rene
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Rene » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:13 pm

Last year I flew from the US to Peru with a one way. I called the airline, asked them about it and they confirmed you need a trip out of Peru. So I booked a trip Lima - Buenos Aires with a different airline, since my next leg to Australia would probably go over BA and that would be cheaper than a return. At checkin in the US the airline never asked about it. Then later plans changed and I cancelled the flight to BA and used the credit for a different flight.
Cenzo6945
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Cenzo6945 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:29 pm

In Response to the question... I have now been 4 times back and forth lima to NYC and i never had a round trip ticket. Never even thought it was an issue. But also I have flown on spirit, maybe they are dumb. And please share more info about this spirit air thing. Is it even dangerous to fly by underpayed pilots??? I never expected wine and cheese on the flights, but i can't pay $1000 on LAN or CONTINENTAL.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:55 am

My sister is here, she flew on LAN with my niece for around $350 per round trip ticket. Low prices are hard to find, but they are there.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:17 pm

either get a refund, or change the date.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:54 pm

Cenzo6945 wrote: please share more info about this spirit air thing. Is it even dangerous to fly by underpayed pilots??? I never expected wine and cheese on the flights, but i can't pay $1000 on LAN or CONTINENTAL.

SHHHH!, were just trying to keep the Peruvians from using them and keep the low prices for us Gringo's. 2 weeks ago I snagged a RT for $10.00 plus taxes and if I was in the States they just offered 39 cents/each way to Cancun, Mexico!
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:05 pm

In 2008 I flew Spirit (a horror in itself) one-way to Lima from Ft. Lauderdale.
Spirit never asked for a RT ticket.

If you do have an RT, I recommend extending the date before the ticket expires. You cannot change your ticket once the flight is gone.

Sometimes a ticket change is $150 plus whatever applicable charges (the difference) in price.

We are planning on extending our tickets back to Lima since my kids and I still have a RT scheduled for August. Changing the ticket is more cost effective in this case than outright purchasing new ones.

Anyway, best bet is to call the airline and tell them you are planning on staying longer and want to change your ticket (or cancel.)
Adventurous.1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Adventurous.1 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:16 pm

I purchased my ticket to Lima through Travelocity yesterday and the subject of a RT never came up, either online or with customer service.
I may hear about it when I check in but so far I have not been questioned about it.
Zietgiest :^0

Do or do not, there is no try
- Yoda-
ducado
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ducado » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:07 pm

The return ticket is just a formal requirement by Peru. Which means in practice that Peru makes the airline responsable to ONLY allow passengers with tickets out of the country. If the airline fails to check, Peru can FINE the airline, and force the airline to transport the passenger back from where they came from.

Reality is that Peru doesn't check, but the formal requirement is still in place. As the airline doesn't want to run any risk on a fine, they can force the passenger to buy a return ticket.

Four years ago we went from Spain with Aircomet, and they enforced this rule. Luckily I had an expired Peruvian Carnet de Extranjeria, which I presented as actual and they accepted it... ( It was also the only occasion my wife forced me to 'hit' on the checkin girl, as we were severely overweighted with our luggage) (the girl even fall for my stupid remark that she looked better in real than on her badge .. ), we got on the flight without problems though ;)
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:09 am

In 3+ years of 1-way travels to Lima I've only ever been asked once by Taca when I was flying from Costa Rica to Lima. I told the guy I was backpacking via bus through South America and he accepted that answer.
scubagirl01
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scubagirl01 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:42 pm

I flew Spirit from Ft. Lauderdale to Lima on a one-way last year. At first I was told that I needed a return ticket to the U.S., but after explaining that I was married to a Peruvian and lived there I was allowed to check in after showing my Peruvian marriage license (which I just happened to have on hand). I was sternly told that in the future I would need my own form of Peruvian ID showing I lived there, otherwise I'd need a return ticket.

Since then I have been flying with round-trip tickets originating from Lima and I haven't had any problems. However I have friends who have also encountered problems with their one-way tickets. I think one friend successfully purchased a fully-refundable one-way back to the U.S. and then cashed it in once back in Peru. Just another idea if the system or your arguments don't seem to be working in your favor.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:18 pm

It may seem technical, but I bet the airlines make a lot of money off this.

you are NOT REQUIRED to have a return ticket, you are required to have a CONTINUING ticket, hence my bus ticket from Tacna to Arica for 10 Soles sufficed. Plan ahead and there will be no need to donate money to airlines, especially Spirit, the worst Airline that services Peru.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:13 pm

Americorps wrote:It may seem technical, but I bet the airlines make a lot of money off this.

you are NOT REQUIRED to have a return ticket, you are required to have a CONTINUING ticket, hence my bus ticket from Tacna to Arica for 10 Soles sufficed. Plan ahead and there will be no need to donate money to airlines, especially Spirit, the worst Airline that services Peru.

Yes, I think that's the key, YOu have to show a way, any way out of Peru. Can you buy those bus tickets online? That would be useful for those who aren't in Peru at the moment.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:03 am

You can go on to several bus lines to print an intenarary and that has always sufficed for me. I did have a copy of their policy showing that they do NOT sell tickets more than 30 days in advance. I was once even questioned at immigracion here in Peru and showing that satisfied them.
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:19 am

Adventurous.1 wrote:I purchased my ticket to Lima through Travelocity yesterday and the subject of a RT never came up, either online or with customer service.
I may hear about it when I check in but so far I have not been questioned about it.

You will not hear about it until you step up to the ticket counter. That way they put you in a position to feel you have to buy a return ticket.
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
Adventurous.1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Adventurous.1 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:13 pm

cajun jamie wrote:
Adventurous.1 wrote:I purchased my ticket to Lima through Travelocity yesterday and the subject of a RT never came up, either online or with customer service.

You will not hear about it until you step up to the ticket counter. That way they put you in a position to feel you have to buy a return ticket.

I don't know if it was my charm or rugged good looks, LOL, but the issue never arose.
Zietgiest :^0

Do or do not, there is no try

- Yoda-
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:29 pm

Americorps wrote:I have a print-out of a reservation for a bus ticket from Tacna to Arica, the law does NOT require a return ticket, it only requires an ticketed exit plan from Peru.

True, I agree. I am doing that when I have to return to Peru.

I had been traveling for a couple of years on oneway tickets via Spirit Airline. JUst last month I returned to Peru with my wife and son. Spirit forced me to buy a return ticket at the airport. The key is to buy a cheap one way to Peru , the buy a refundable return ticket and cancel the refundable ticket once in Peru. Spirit told me that if Peruvian Immigration turned me back, Spirit would be fined $20K. I was livid becasue I was at the airport and preparing to pickup my boarding pass. So I mentioned to Spirit that I would dig up my past tickets and send them to Peruvian Immigration (-: . The return ticket cost me $500 +, spirit charged me a cancellation fee $25.00, but I got most of my money back.

The bus ticket will work, as long as you are exiting the country.

Americorp, I would be interested in knowing where to Buy the Ticket from Tacna to Arica. I had to return to the USA this weekend and plan to buy a oneway ticket back to Peru, using the bus method. Which bus companies? Can the ticket be purchased in Lima or over the internet?

Thanks
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:00 pm

Cruz del Sur or Ormeno allow you to purchase online, but I did not even purchase, i just printed out the intenarary.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:38 pm

Thanks for the tip!
jesse0977
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jesse0977 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:34 am

I've never knew that people can have a problem with one-way tickets. If the airlines can get in trouble, why would they sell them? I purchased our tickets one-way through Travelocity online. I actually paid $268/person with Aeromexico from NY to Lima!! And the only reason was because I waited too long to buy the $189/person through Avianca :(
I guess they were having great deals at that time.

But after reading this thread, we got worried. I called the Immigrations Dept in Lima (DIGEMIN), and they told me that we shouldn't have a problem flying one-way. Specially because my husband (american) is married to a peruvian citizen (me). But if any troubles, to just show the marriage certificate.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:57 pm

jesse0977 wrote:I've never knew that people can have a problem with one-way tickets. If the airlines can get in trouble, why would they sell them? I purchased our tickets one-way through Travelocity online. I actually paid $268/person with Aeromexico from NY to Lima!! And the only reason was because I waited too long to buy the $189/person through Avianca :(
I guess they were having great deals at that time.

But after reading this thread, we got worried. I called the Immigrations Dept in Lima (DIGEMIN), and they told me that we shouldn't have a problem flying one-way. Specially because my husband (american) is married to a peruvian citizen (me). But if any troubles, to just show the marriage certificate.

The marriage Certificate does not work either. I am American and my wife is Peruvian, they refused to accept my marriage certificate, I also have a stamp in my passport from my last carnet (recent) they would not accept that. I just think it is a way for airlines to make more money, because you can choose a return trip on another airline. They do no let you know until you arrive at the counter. I would call the airline to see if they accept marriage certificate. My wife and I had a marriage ceritifcates and a certificate to our joint property in Peru, all that did not work.

So, I am taking Americorps advice. I went to the web site and order a bus ticket to Argentina (Cruz Del Sur). I went up to the point of the purchase page and printed out the transaction and schedule with my name and amounts. I did not buy. Immigration says that you just need evidence of an onward ticket. I will carry the printout as evidence.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register