S/. 3.344 pen

Working on your CE: Going to Interpol

One of the most intimidating steps of getting a Carnet de Extranjeria (Peruvian Resident card for Foreigners) is the part where you have to visit INTERPOL.  But the truth is, this is actually one of the easiest steps, and surprisingly, most people have found the people in the INTERPOL office to be friendly and helpful. The following directions are written out as the procedure for Americans, but it’s fairly similar for everyone – the main difference being non-Americans don’t need an FBI check.

The INTERPOL office can be found in Av. Manuel Olguin s/n block 6th (comisaria de Monterrico). The building can be difficult to pick out if you aren’t familiar with the area. 
There are a couple steps you’ll want to take care of before you go to the INTERPOL office.  First, you’ll need to pay the fee at the Banco de la  Nacion.  The fee is S/.72.42, and you’ll need to bring the original receipt to the INTERPOL office with you. Tell the teller at the bank you need to pay the fee for Code #08141, it will automatically pull up in their system.
Get photocopies of the picture page of your passport and the page with your most recent entry stamp into Peru. If you’re married to a Peruvian, you’ll need a current copy of your Acto de Matrimonio, legalized within the last year.
You’ll need to have a ‘Giro sobre el exterior’ for the amount of USD$18.00, made out to ‘The Treasury of the USA’.  This is basically an international cashier’s check.  You can get this at Banco de Credito or Scotiabank, both a couple blocks away from the INTERPOL office.  There is a USD$12.00 fee.
You’ll also need to bring a manila envelope, oficio size.  There is a shop a couple blocks away from the office where you can buy one.
When you arrive at the office –
Give them all of the above paperwork.
They will then have you fill out some simple forms – a Solicitud del Interesado.  You'll need your height and weight in meters and kilos, and an address in the US. They take a multitude of fingerprints, checked your teeth, and are generally very amiable about it all.

You’ll need two passport size photos.  When I went, I took these with me, but recently have heard that they must take them in the office for a S/.10 fee.
After you’ve filled out all the paperwork and they have it all organized, they’ll give you the envelope to take to Serpost and mail.  There is a Serpost office about 3 blocks away.  This envelope is for US citizens, and goes to the FBI in Virginia. At this time, the cost for sending it registered mail is S/19.70
 According to INTERPOL, their check takes about 48 hours, and you should be able to go pick up your carnet after that.  If you have travelled in from a province, let them know and they will have it for you after 10AM the next day.
The FBI check does take longer. The results will come be sent to your address here in Peru. According to INTERPOL, the FBI check has nothing to do with getting your carnet, and that you can do that once the INTERPOL check is through in 48 hours. However, if anything 'bad' comes up with the FBI check, your records will be flagged, and you’ll be detained next time you try to leave the country.

take Spanish clases online