Spirit Airlines Pilots on Strike

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Kelly

Spirit Airlines Pilots on Strike

Postby Kelly » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:37 pm

Realizing that this is a news item, I'm putting it here for the information - just in case anyone had plans to fly on Spirit in the near future.

Spirit Airlines has canceled flights through Tuesday, June 15th as their pilots are on strike.

tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilots on Strike

Postby tupacperu » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:55 pm

Yeah, I was caught by the strike but luckily I was in Los Angeles, CA , due to fly to Philly. I purchased a last minute ticket on Southwest and just confirmed a refund. Luckily I was not traveling to Peru.

The bad thing is that I got an e-mail Saturday morning at 7:00am EST which was 3:00am PST. I think thaey could have gave a fair warning. I feel bad fo any international travelers , since Spirit flies to Carribean, and South America.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:01 pm

Tell me about it - my mom is here, supposed to be leaving next Sunday (after nearly 6 months), and my sister is scheduled to arrive here Monday - both on Spirit. :?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:57 am

Kelly, I hope your family´s travel works out...However, with their history, do not count on any support from Spirit Airl. They are notorious for their poor customer service. There have been stories about their polits being some of the lowest paid and over-worked in the industry for a number of years, so I think the strike was inevitable. Still, I am so sorry your family has to fret this.

A strike can hit any airline at any time for a number of reasons, but Spirit Air is more likely than most due to their horrilbe customer service and employee support..showing management has created a hostile working environment.
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:13 pm

Spirit makes LAN look like a luxury airline. I'm not surprised the pilots are striking. I hope to see Spirit's days numbered, they are the most horrendous air carrier on the face of this planet.

Sorry to hear about your family's situation, Kelly. I've already learned the hard way not to fly Spirit, even if they offer $79 airfares every once in a while to Peru. They are unprofessional all around, and I doubt that they have highly trained pilots navigating their fleet. It's not worth my pennies.

Problems with Spirit have popped up on this forum before. Here's the previous link:

http://expatperu.com/expatforums/viewtopic.php?t=4210

Americorps makes a good point about pilots being over-worked. I don't know if this video will show in Peru, but here's the link to a PBS Frontline report on the deteriorating state of U.S. based carriers. It's a very eye opening report...One more reason why I won't fly Spirit (or Continental for that matter!)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/flyingcheap/view/
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:07 pm

I response to rgamarras comment, "Spirit makes LAN look like a luxury airline." Some of you will just love this.
http://www.traveldailynews.com/pages/sh ... -Caribbean
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:19 pm

Y'all are preaching to the choir - I've told them time and again of the dangers of Spirit. A couple years ago, Spirit held my sisters luggage for about 10 days in Ft. Lauderdale while she was here - they called it lost, but it was actually in storage in Ft. Lauderdale because they overbooked luggage, which I understand they were routinely doing.

They take Spirit now because it's the best flights for them, even not considering the price - they like the times of the flights, and since they have stuff here, they don't need to carry luggage anymore, and just travel with a carry on.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:48 pm

Markr,

I saw that notice, however one should note it is an industry membership group. In other words, Lan pays to be a member of that group.

A simple google search of a dozen or so consumer reviews of Lan shows most consumer driven sites give it about a 3 star rating out of 5, far different than Industry sites. Since I am more concerned with the passenger perspective than I am with the industry peer perspective, those hold more weight with me.
iron butterfly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iron butterfly » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:40 pm

Looks like LAN is in good company. Both Qantas and British Airways won awards also. I wonder if they, also, got their awards just for just being paying members of some industry group? The way I read the article is that the winners are chosen from the results of surveyed passengers. Maybe the passengers were paying members also.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:44 pm

This thread is to let people know about the Spirit Airlines strike.

If you'd like to further discuss the pros/cons of LAN airlines, there are other threads available for that. Please take it there.

Thank you.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register