Adderall or generic psychostimulants available here in Peru?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
north

Adderall or generic psychostimulants available here in Peru?

Postby north » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:51 am

I´ve already asked for the english brand name Adderall at a pharmacy in Lima, and they don´t know what it is. But this is the kind of medicine I need. I suffer from extreme difficulty in focasing, gathering energy and completing tasks, and I simply can not keep up with my peers on my travels and bussiness affairs. I´ve already gotten several important prescriptions for other ailnesses from my doctor BEFORE leaving Canada for the duration of my stay in Peru, however I´ve forgot to mention this one that is a key one!! I am praying they have something like it here. It is believed that I suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but this is one of the hardest things to diagnose. I rather not go into more details as it is embarrassing. But does anyone else who lives here know of the kind of medicine I need to inquire for here? They must have something like it but I need to know the names or keywords, or the people are just clueless. And yes I´m going to consult a psychiatrist here in Lima but I need to be prepared.

Thanks fellow expats!

Jack

rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Adderall or generic psychostimulants available here in Peru?

Postby rgamarra » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:15 am

It used to be easy to walk up to any Farmacia and ask for strong prescription drugs, but that is not the case anymore in Peru.

Best thing to do is a consult a psychiatrist first. They will then give you the necessary RX. Without the RX most reputable pharmacies will not sell you the drug. Be careful about going to black market pharmacies looking for a drug like Adderall (amphetamine and dextroamphetamine). The black market is full of fake or expired drugs and in the end you do not really know what you are consuming.

You may also want to look for Concerta (methylphenidate) or Focalin (dexmethylphenidate). If you cannot find what you are looking for by brand name, ask for it by its generic name (in parenthesis). Again, you will probably need an RX since these types of drugs come in dosages.

Good luck.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:55 am

Like Rachel said, consult a professional and be careful. I take a medication for migraines called Amerge. I asked about it at least 100 pharmacies, they were clueless. I went to a Neurologist here and he knew what it was and wrote me a prescription. In Peru it is called Naramig.

Here is a link from MINSA, the Peruvian ministry of health. It supposedly has every legally available medication listed:
http://observatorio.digemid.minsa.gob.pe/Paginas/Varios/CatalogoMed.aspx
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:58 am

When i first went to buy my migraine medication, I took the empty box from the US with me, so they could see what the medication was. Having the generic or chemical name can help.
pwr144
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pwr144 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:04 am

It is my understanding that all amphetamine-derivatives are NOT legal in Peru.

My doc will write me for three months in the States for Adderall, so I buy them there and bring them.

Ritalin (concerta) is easily obtainable here, not that it is of any relative use.

I suppose that I can understand why amphetamines would not be encouraged in the land of coca, but this is an essential and unique medication for tens of millions of people and it would be nice for Peru to step into the modern age in this respect.

Please inform me if I am mistaken and recommend the doc who will assist with this issue!
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:26 am

I would suggest you contact the Clinica Anglo Americana here in Lima. They have doctors and nurses who speak English and treat many expatriates.

I would suspect they could better direct you.

http://www.clinangloamericana.com.pe/

Good luck :)
pwr144
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pwr144 » Sat May 14, 2011 12:03 pm

I have seen quite a few threads asking about meds and things--now I can contribute something meaningful to this topic.

I have found an excellent doctor here--trained and lived for many years in the U.S.

Just a real nice guy, highly educated and very knowledgeable about current and pending meds. Also has a lot of experience assisting with the SS benefits claims. He is recommended by the US embassy.

Dr. Jorge Calderon at perupsychdoc.com
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Sat May 14, 2011 1:06 pm

what are these SS benefits claims things of which you speak? I'm on social security and I thought that moving here meant I was on my own as far as medical is concerned.... I mean medicare doesn't work here. I take some anti depresents that I would like help with.
:-)~mike~(-:
allyourbase

Postby allyourbase » Sat May 14, 2011 8:35 pm

Many pharmacies will ask for a prescription. Even so, isn't a problem. Since all the doctors here are money minded, they'll write prescriptions for whatever as long as they here some reason that could be remotely used. You might have to go to several different pharmacies to find many of the SSRI's but they are available especially in Miraflores. Codeine and Tramadol are available OTC too which came in use. But if you know what you want, pay 70 or 80 soles to the doc, get him to write the rx, and in Peru the pharmacist doesnt take the prescriptions so you can use it several times.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:33 am

I know what I need but my wifes uncle is a doctor. he can write me up the perscription for free!
:-)~mike~(-:
pwr144
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pwr144 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:38 pm

bmike1 wrote:what are these SS benefits claims things of which you speak? I'm on social security and I thought that moving here meant I was on my own as far as medical is concerned.... I mean medicare doesn't work here. I take some anti depresents that I would like help with.

Yeah, sorry--I wasn't clear.

A US citizen can file a S.S. disability claim from Peru by filing the same paperwork through the US embassy that they would in the U.S.

This requires a detailed commentary and questionnaire to be submitted from the patient and another from their physician.

The US embassy in Peru routinely submits these claims packages to the USA, apparently with a great deal of success.

Also--talk to Dr. Calderon. He can help you with anti-depressant pricing and samples as well. Some are REALLY expensive here. You can just call him on his own cell phone directly...LOL. Quite a bit different than the States, where talking to any doc without an appointment would cause the entire system to implode. 99-927-5813

To another forum member who has a family doctor on hand: some folks really need more than just meds. Additionally, G.P.-type docs do not typically keep abreast of breaking news in the anti-depressant, anti-ADD, anti-bipolar medication-availability department.

The (increasing?) Peruvian availability of currently marketed US medications will be an interesting trend to watch in the future.

(Not to say it isn't nice to simply tell your doc what to prescribe--reminds me of home!)
GianO
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby GianO » Sat May 21, 2011 2:14 pm

That's great to know pw4, I gotta let my mother know that for when she moves to Peru after me.
sekatsim

Postby sekatsim » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:32 pm

I know this thread has been stale for a while but this was all I could find on Google so I'll try my luck anyway:

I'm on an extended trip (6 months) in Peru and ran out of adderall while I was here... a doc at the Anglo American Clinic in Lima wrote me a peruvian prescription for Focalin or Concerta, but no pharmacies I've gone to (dozens) have carried it. I even went so far as to, on a suggestion, ask at Quimica Suiza-- which is a sort of pharmacy / chemical supply corp. They recognized the Focalin but also didn't carry it, and directed me to a "Lab" somewhere in San Isidro that seems to no longer exist.

Does anyone here know a pharmacy that might carry either of these medications? I have asked by both brand name and chemical name and have had no luck.
Culturedstill

Postby Culturedstill » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:06 am

I will be in lima feb 11th, I have two scripts of Ritalin there, There the new kind in a capsule, so they cant be abused, One is unopened. There 20 mg. I remember they were expensive there I would gladly help you out with a bottle or point you to the pharm I finally found them at, When I land, or pm me, I can ask my fiancée for the number of the pharm for you, No script needed, Just a bit expensive
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:00 am

I have been fortunate; I was on ANXIETY/DEPRESSION meds in the USA - don't need them here!
I have learned to embellish the Peruvian ideology of "It will get done, when it gets done...".
The stress level here is so much LESS; I even "tolerate" business people arriving over one (1) hour late!

We can all take the GOOD from the USA & recipe with the GOOD from Peru - delicious delicacy for life.
I have a friend that has meds especially formulated for MENOPAUSAL women & ships to the USA; I have read his testimonials & the users SWEAR by the relief they receive. If anyone needs contact info; please advise.

I always look upon new ways of staying healthy & treating illness; if a product has worked for hundreds of years, I will certainly consider the use or recommendation of same.
"If you don't have your health..."

My best to everyone that reads this forum,
Philip :roll:
pwr144
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pwr144 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:17 pm

sekatsim wrote:I know this thread has been stale for a while but this was all I could find on Google so I'll try my luck anyway:

I'm on an extended trip (6 months) in Peru and ran out of adderall while I was here... a doc at the Anglo American Clinic in Lima wrote me a peruvian prescription for Focalin or Concerta, but no pharmacies I've gone to (dozens) have carried it. I even went so far as to, on a suggestion, ask at Quimica Suiza-- which is a sort of pharmacy / chemical supply corp. They recognized the Focalin but also didn't carry it, and directed me to a "Lab" somewhere in San Isidro that seems to no longer exist.

Does anyone here know a pharmacy that might carry either of these medications? I have asked by both brand name and chemical name and have had no luck.

call Dr. Calderon-- he can tell you who carries the concerta--I can't recall the address of the place in San Borja I went . Tell him Peter sent ya!

perupsychdoc.com

edit: just remembered this site for finding meds

http://observatorio.digemid.minsa.gob.pe/#

Last edited by pwr144 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieLeighGamble

Postby CharlieLeighGamble » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Ahh I was wondering about this myself. I took my prescription bottle from America into every farmacia there and got only baffled looks.

Yikes... a 3 month supply is going to cost me a small fortune.... :(
pwr144
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pwr144 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:47 pm

CharlieLeighGamble wrote:Ahh I was wondering about this myself. I took my prescription bottle from America into every farmacia there and got only baffled looks.

Yikes... a 3 month supply is going to cost me a small fortune.... :(

No adderall here yet...only concerta.

here is a great site for finding your meds:

http://observatorio.digemid.minsa.gob.pe/#

Good Luck!
sekatsim

Postby sekatsim » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:36 pm

After a month in the mountains, I'm back in Lima and have gone to five or six of the farmacias reported to carry my prescription by http://observatorio.digemid.minsa.gob.pe/#, but none of them actually carry it. I called back to the Clinica Anglo Americana where I was initially consulted and they told me that they don't carry Concerta or Focalin, even though Dra. Pamela Cooper Diaz-Ufano assured me they were both carried and in stock. The farmacia at the clinic told me they had Ritalin in stock, but I would need to pay another S/250 to meet with the doctor again (a most impolite woman) to have her add Ritalin to the script. I'm feeling run around and taken advantage of at this point... posting this here so that other travelers can be advised to avoid the Clinica Anglo Americana, and Dr. Diaz-Ufano in particular. There are much higher quality and affordable clinics in Lima, even for those who don't speak Spanish.

As I don't have a phone here, I've only been able to email Dr. Calderon, to which I have not yet received a response. I suppose my next step will be to give a call to his office on a pay phone and see if he is available for a consult... as I'm beginning to suspect that Dr. Pamela Cooper Diaz-Ufano wrote me a worthless prescription just to get my money (knowing that I was leaving Lima that evening), and so it looks like I'm basically back at my staring position.

Thanks to those who've offered suggestions here, you've been most helpful.
parenquima

Postby parenquima » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:51 am

Hi, I guess you don't have actual knowlegde about restricted med prescriptions here in Peru, so I can give you a little advice: Contact Dr. Filomeno (you can search "TDAH Peru" in Google). He's my doctor and he's the best one here in Peru. You can go to Instituto Médico Miraflores (Scipión Llona 180 Miraflores - Teléfono 422-3108), but first call and ask for an appointment because he has a lot of patients and also ask for the fee. I'm telling you to go directly to him because the restricted med prescription you've got from the other clinic only lasts for three days, you'll need a new one and there are only few places in Lima where you can find those pills.
Best regards and best of luck.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:40 am

I know a lot has been posted on this subject already and some excellent info in this thread if one takes the time to read it through. I never had any use or desire for these types of drugs but it really makes me wonder, when i see the term "generic psychostimulants" the fisrt thing that comes to my mind is the tried and true local custom of chewing the cocoa leaf?

Im wondering if anyone else has considered this and the fact that it is so cheap and usually easily accessible to all classes without perscription, maybe this simple natural leaf is the reason why they just about dont carry or perscribe things like adderall :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just a thought...sorry to offend anyone who legit needs this or other meds, i know how frustrating it can be when you come from a place that has lots of pills and then you find out in peru they just dont have anything even close or if they do, it is usually very difficult to get a hold of.

As some advice for an alternate solution you can import your medications. I did this a few times and it was sent right on through customs just fine three times, then there were two other times when the package got held up.

The first time i ended up handling it myself and spent all day going around callao in a taxi from one building to another hoping to get all the paperwork and pay the fees myself to get my meds. In the end just by luck i was able to pick up the package.

I also became friendly with a freight forwarder who works with customs and knows how to work the system so the next package i had to get out of customs i just did everything through email with the freight forwarder, it cost about 100 soles but it was well worth not having to spend an entire day bouncing around callao in taxis, not the best areas and kind of dangerous if the taxis dont know where to go:-)

We handled everything through email, i just signed a notorized form which i had them come to my hotel to deliver, that allowed them to pick up my package if i remember correctly, and had to send them a scanned copy of my passport as well as fill out and sign off on some form by digimed or some govt agency saying the value and that it was for personal use.

Also please note that i would only do this with a trusted entity. Seems like there are quite a few folks in this busniess, and the person i used was a cousin of a friend, they were very professional and had a big office right next to the customs offices outside the airport. I wish I still had their info to provide here. The process still took the whole day it was just that I was able to do other fun things in Lima with my GF while they handled the dirty work, but I did have to respond to a few emails, so it was essential to have acess to email or it would have taken an extra day.

Sorry for the long rambling response good luck getting your meds! :mrgreen:

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register