TEFL certificate??

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
nomaD

TEFL certificate??

Postby nomaD » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:16 pm

I was looking into getting a TEFL certificate in order to secure some kind of job when i make the jump-

i found this website http://icalweb.com/cms/index.php for "i CAL TEFL certifications"
they offer online courses with a 100 hr certificate./.

my question is

A- is 100 hours acceptable for most employers

B- is a certification from iCal going to suffice as a legitimate TEFL certification

i ask the latter question only because i know not how prevalent online certification programs there are...
anyway any help would be awesome thanks everyone-

nomaD-

Kelly

Re: TEFL certificate??

Postby Kelly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:10 am

Just the fact that you're a native English speaker will be enough to get you a job for most institutes. Since you're interested in living somewhere outside of major cities, you can quite likely get a job at a private primary or secondary school just with that, or they may require a certificate, and the iCal certificate will certainly suffice.

You may want to read this article about teaching English in Peru - http://www.transitionsabroad.com/listin ... peru.shtml
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:15 am

The first thing you need to decide is if you want to work legally or not, you never mentioned your circumstances, so I can only make assumptions, please correct me if I am wrong. I would never promote anyone working outside the law as it is a pet hate of mine, but the choice is yours.
If you want to do any job illegally then expect to be low payed, work long hours and have no come back what so ever against your employer.
The fact that you are a native English speaker alone WILL NOT get you a job at the major language institutes in Lima, but your desire to work in the provinces might be to your advantage.
Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress. So many people seek advice and then disappear without sharing their experiences.
iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iskndarbey » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:34 pm

Any online TEFL course is basically worthless, since the most important part is the teaching practice, which you can't do online.
travel dude

Postby travel dude » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:45 pm

One way a TEFL is not required is if you consider being a private tutor. Your success (in terms of making money) is how you market yourself. I have tutored in the past with professional Peruvians that pay better than if you taught at an institute... its up to you.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:40 pm

Traveldude is correct.

I was a private tutor and made between 15-20 bucks an hour and usually worked at least 20-30 hours a week. Mostly corporate gigs. That did not mean I could count on 900-1250 a month. I usually made about a grand a month, but some months, like December or July whith lots of down time, I could make as little as $5-600, but still enough to get by.

I did not have a TEFL nor a teaching degree, but I was able to quickly build a good client base simply off referrals.

The one trick I did to make sure I kept my students paying was to offer a 10% discount if they pre-paid a month in advance. With that, I had a very strict cancellation policy. If they cancelled past a certain hour, they would loose the class. If they cancelled more than 3 times in a month, they would loose a class. At first they did not like my strictness, so I added a counter part, if I cancelled past the same hour, they would get 1 class for free or if I cancelled more than 3 times in a month, they would get 1 class free. in 2 years, I did give 2 free classes, but the result was the students respected my policy much more because it respected their time as much as i requested respect for mine.

The other issue is you needed to be a good teacher where the student had a good time and felt like he or she was learning. If not, they will cut you pretty quick. They will not tell you as such usually, they will either start cancelling classes or tell you something came up and they will not be able to continue. If that happens to you often, you should question your teaching approach.

Teaching materials are easy to score. You can buy them all over town (new, used or pirated), many can be downloaded off the internet and from time to time you see them advertised for sale here or other expat websites for teachers leaving Peru or leaving the profession. I recently sold most of my old materials in such a manor.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register