LGBT Expats, and friends and allies

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

LGBT Expats, and friends and allies

Postby americorps » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:14 pm

As we know, the groups area was cumbersome, but Alan wanted to maintain the community spaces, so he has changed them to a discussion tab for groups.

For this to work best, I am hoping those interested in the LGBT group will post a quick note of some sort, that way when anything is updated, we will all be reminded to check in.

I recently posted about the annual Lima LGBT film festival, but do not think many of you saw that.

Again, please take just one moment, even if you only post the world "hello" to subscribe to the updates of that thread.

Here is a link to the thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7836

Cheers

jimrcqn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LGBT Expats, and friends and allies

Postby jimrcqn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:23 pm

I had posted a message on the LGBT group page and visited the site from time to time, but never saw much activity. I am from the US and have a Peruvian partner. Is there a significant gay ex-pat community here? Are there any regular activities that would be of interest to others -- either single or partnered? If not, I would be willing to help with organizing some things, but am quite new to Lima and still trying to learn Spanish.

Jim
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Those are good questions, Jim. I have proposed having some informal get-togethers on the forums, but I have not seen anyone respond to them.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:54 pm

hey guys,

You are absolutely correct, we should get together. I have alluded to it a few times myself, but never followed through.

I am going to make the commitment, unless someone else someone wants to fight me for it.

I will offer my home for a casual get-together, maybe some Saturday or Sunday afternoon in early August.

Let me suggest Saturday the 14th or 15th for an informal potluck at my home say around 3pm?

please check your calendars to see if you are free that day, or if not, suggest another date.

I would like to suggest that we meet in my home instead of a public place because I know some people are not out and might feel uncomfortable in a public gathering.

Now this is just a suggestion, so please feel free to offer alternative ideas and we can discuss them. I just think it would be good to make sure anyone can participate comfortably.

while I do not want to exclude anyone, I think the focus of the events should be for LGBT expats and partners unless someone feels otherwise.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Kevin
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Good Luck with the gathering, Kevin! And don't forget, we would like to have dinner with you when you visit NYC.

Take care!
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
jimrcqn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimrcqn » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:28 pm

Great suggestion, Kevin.

We won't fight for it, but are also willing to host a group for an informal get together. The potluck idea is a good one. I do these at home in the states quite frequently, and they make for a nice evening.

I go back to the US in early August, so would miss your event on the 14h or 15th. We would be willing to have something before or after that. Anytime the weekend on July 31 looks good on our calendar now. I return to Lima on Sept. 15 and will be here until mid-November, so could also host something during that time as well.

Our departamento is in Surco near Benavides and Panamericana Sur.

Let's hope we can get something started and recurring.

Jim
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:27 pm

We are heading to Buenos Aires from the 24-Aug 1st. We can do August 7th
jimrcqn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimrcqn » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:45 am

Have a nice trip. I had forgotten about the Peru holiday when I posted earlier. We are also going to do some travel to other parts of Peru this month. We haven't finalized our plans, but will be gone at least one of the remaining weekends in July. Since I will be back in the US from 3 August to about 15 September, we'll have to miss your event in August.

I suggest we see if there are any more postings expressing interest by others and what dates they can be available. If dates can work out for some of us, we are still willing to host a potluck sometime this month; otherwisse, we can stay in contact and set something up later.

We'll be at Pride today -- my first in Lima.

Jim
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:25 am

I can also host, in September. I think it would be nice if we can have a get-together this month.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:28 am

How about next Sunday, the 18th of July in the afternoon?
jimrcqn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimrcqn » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:49 am

Next Sunday afternoon the 18th works for us, Kevin. We had just decided to do some traveling the following week, so your suggestion is timely.

We can host at our home in Surco unless you prefer to host. That can be your call. Look forward to it and hope we can start something recurring.

Jim
Serionlv
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Serionlv » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:26 pm

We also would like to get together. I leave tomorrow for the USA and will be back in late September. There seem to be a lot of bi-national couples living as expats here. I will try to remind everyone when I get back for a second meeting.

Bob
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:05 pm

it sound like July and August are pretty busy for a lot of us, she we try for next weekend, or wait until September?
jimrcqn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimrcqn » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:17 am

If those who are in town and available for next weekend, I'm open to getting together then. If it does not work out,then September should be a good option; although it might be nie to get something started.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Next weekend works for us as well. Where shall we host the event? It looks like we have two volunteers already. My place is also available. It is centrally-located, in Pueblo Libre. Besides, you could all meet the "ferocious" Princesa as well.

jimrcqn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimrcqn » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:32 am

It sounds like we can plan on next Sunday afternoon. To us, Kevin's earlier suggestion of a potluck style get together is a good one. We are also pretty open to time, so whatever works best for most is good for us.

As said in an earlier post, we will gladly host or are just as willing to travel if someone would rather host this first get together. Our place is easy to get to in Surco (near Benavides and Panamericana Sur) with good parking. We don't drive, but can easily get to Pueblo Libre, Miraflores, or other areas by bus or taxi.

Jim
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:38 am

I am on the Surco-San Borja border near Aviacion and Angamos, what is better for everyone else?
jimrcqn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimrcqn » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:12 pm

Kevin,

Since you were the first to suggest a time, format, and offer of your place ("unless someone wants to fight you for it"), I think going to your home on Sunday will be a great start to what I hope will be something recurring and regular. From the postings, it seems we are all reasonably convenient to each other (although, as everyone gets to know me will quickly discover, I have almost no sense of direction!).

If this is still good for you, why don't you set the time, place and method that you would like to do a potluck? For what it is worth, I'm part of a group in the states that meets regularly and alternately at members' homes for potlucks. I can share what has worked well for us. Email me at jimfordstl at sbcglobal dot net if you want to share ideas.

Jim
MikeNOLA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MikeNOLA » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:42 pm

I'm confused now are we meeting Saturday or Sunday? I have been hoping for the past 4 years that we could get a regular ex-pat GLBT "society" started.
Set the details and me and my bf will be there!
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:52 pm

Ok,

Here is my suggestion.

This is a little short notice for me and I was just informed that my partners father is coming down for the weekend and will be staying at the house, so....

Let us do it Sunday afternoon and if jimrcqn would be so kind as to host, I will take the next one.

Further, since it is only this weekend, and our first time, so not to overwhelm ourselves or anyone, perhaps we could make this a light social affair, like just potluck bocaditos, so after lunch and before dinner, say 3ish?

That is just a suggestion.....what do you all think?

So, this Sunday at 3ish in Surco?
jimrcqn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimrcqn » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:34 pm

All of your suggestions are good, and we will be glad to host. We'll do the light potluck bocaditos (David just explained that to me!). Any time around 3 is good, and we can stay as late as anyone is enjoying themselves. We can also show a movie if anyone is interested, but for this first meeting socializing and getting to know one another will be great.

Will those who can join us please send a private message with the number of people -- bring friends -- and I will reply with detailed address and directions.

Jim
MikeNOLA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MikeNOLA » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:07 pm

Actually Sunday is my boyfriend's father's birthday, so I'll probably come stag.
Sunday - 3pm - tapas in Surco. See ya there!
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:34 am

That is great MikeNola, sorry your partner can not make it, but please do not forget to send a PRIVATE PM to jimrcqn to formally RSVP.

See you there.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:39 pm

See you guys this Sunday!
jimrcqn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimrcqn » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:52 pm

Here's an update:

We have 3 others from this forum confirmed with their partners. One is also bringing 2 coupled Peruvian friends. I have also invited 2 gay ex-pat friends who do not use this forum. One is single and confimed (he'll be later due to prior commitments.) The other couple will be returning from Bogata probably too late to join us.

We should have a nice group of 10 or 11 confirmed, and we have room for more if others are monitoring this site and are still undecided. Also those of you who have confirmed, feel free to bring or invite friends. Please send me a private message for more information.

We look forward to getting to know everyone.

Jim and David
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:49 am

I am looking forward to the event. I think it is fantastic that we are FINALLY getting it together to meet and I would like to thank Jim for hosting and for suggesting we do this.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:04 am

Jim and David,

We had a lovely time. The company was wonder, the apartment beautiful and the hospitality top drawer. I hope the next get-together will be equally warm and friendly and hopefully a few more folks can make it.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:10 pm

Jim and David,

We had a great time!! What a beautiful home you guys have; you're both lucky men. The people that partied with us there were also A+. We're looking forward to the next get-together, which hopefully will be very soon!

Let's hope for an even bigger group next time; anyone who couldn't make it missed out on some fun.
jimrcqn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimrcqn » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:58 pm

Thank you so much for the kind comments. David and I had a wonderful time, and we really enjoyed getting to know everyone. Claro! We are both quite lucky, but also had an opportunity to meet other very nice and lucky couples.

I do hope this was a start to something more regular with even more participation. Tomorrow, David and I are off to southern Peru for a few days. I do love Peru and enjoy exploring it and learning more of the culture. After that, I will be going back to the states until early Septiembre. Let's all stay in touch and hope that those who could not join us last Sunday will be able to make future events.

This is a great web site and forum. Thanks to those who put it together and to the regular posting members.

Jim and David
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:37 am

Hey gang, it is the 7th of August and time for us to think about having our August pot luck. I'll gladly volunteer my house in Pueblo Libre; you guys will also have a chance to meet Princesa and Sullie (my dogs) and Sullie's puppies, who were born day before yesterday.

I'm thinking that a good day for the get-together would be Sunday the 15th or the 22nd, at about 3 p.m. What do you say?
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:31 am

So, who's up for an August get-together? It doesn't necessarily have to be at my place.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Well, Mikenola is leaving Peru, and 2 of the other expat couples are on vacation for the month, but Valedemont and myself would love to get together. Hopefully we can scare up some others, but if not, just us would be great as well.
jimrcqn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimrcqn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:41 am

It's a great idea and thank you for suggesting and volunteering to host. I am in the US until 8 Sept; otherwise, we would be there. I hope we can keep this going, with even more involvement, and look forward to something in Sept.
stranger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby stranger » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:43 pm

Heya, I'm up for meeting new people, but are these things entirely made up of couples? Never that fun to be an odd number...
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:03 am

Jim, we all anxiously await your return. Meanwhile, I hope that interest in the idea does not wane, though thus far I have not heard from very many people.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:05 pm

Hey stranger,

I understand your hesitation because we are mostly couples, however, I think you will find it to be charming and open and you will feel right at home. I have met most everyone involved in the group, including those not in Peru at the moment and will vouch that they (we) are very casual and open and friendly and it is just a big ole´group of friends.

Please, give us a try, we will welcome you.

Cheers
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:55 pm

stranger wrote:Heya, I'm up for meeting new people, but are these things entirely made up of couples? Never that fun to be an odd number...

Hey stranger, thank you for that question!! To answer it, this is NOT a couples-only deal. We are just getting started (July was our first time), and we would be DELIGHTED to have singles along with us. So like americorps said, please give us a try! Thanks again.
stranger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby stranger » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks for the responses guys, sounds good. it's time to start meeting some more people here, I think, so count me in for the next meet up. I'm generally free most weekends.
jimrcqn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimrcqn » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:08 pm

I would like to suggest another get-together soon. We are willing to either host or travel, depending on the preference of others. Perhaps a potluck dinner format would be nice, but just sharing of snacks and socialization will be fun, too. If the notice is not too short, this coming weekend can work for us. Otherwise, we can adjust our weekend plans to accommodate the schedules of the group any weekend in October.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:27 pm

Yes, I was thinking it was about time to do this again as well.

The next couple weekends are out for me, I am more free come mid October, but I am only a small part of the crowd, so please do not hold off on my account should the rest of you be free.

I like the idea of a potluck dinner as well.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:24 pm

This coming weekend is going to be "dodgy" for me as well, as I have a large project due on the 28th. However, the following weekend (election weekend) works for me. if we stock up on the beverages ahead of time, there won't be any issue. No one is going to come knocking on doors to see if people are swilling, as long as it isn't a major "whing ding." A reasonable get-together, like we had last time, ought to be just what the doctor ordered.

Unfortunately, Ernesto works weekends, so he won't be able to attend. :x
jimrcqn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimrcqn » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:11 am

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner. I think David has something planned for us this Sunday, but we should be able to do something the following weekend. We'll be adequately stocked here and are also willing to travel. As of now, we should also be available in mid-October when Americorps is available. I'm not at all opposed to getting together both times.

I saw an earlier post from someone concerned about being single, and want to assure that all are welcome here. I have a single friend who would join us, but he is in the States until the last week of October.
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:51 pm

Cool. Keep me posted on when y'all will meet next. I'd love to come as well!
stranger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby stranger » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:37 am

Hey, I figured nothing happened last weekend? I'm busy this coming weekend, but am free after that.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:52 am

I vote a pot-luck dinner either Friday October 15 or Saturday October 17 in the evening or maybe a brunch the afternoon of Sunday October 18, anyone else free that weekend?
jimrcqn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimrcqn » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:42 am

We will be going out of town for the holiday on the weekend of 8 October, so I second Americorps' suggestion of 15, 16 or 17. We are open to all three dates, but think dinner on Saturday the 17th or brunch on Sunday might be better since some might have to work part or all of Saturday. We'll go with the majority choice. We are also willing to host at our place in Surco, but are free to travel if someone else would prefer to host.

In addition, since so many places will be closed or not serving due to the election this weekend, we will be stocked and invite anyone over late afternoon or evening after voting this Sunday -- just informal snacks, drinks and socialization. Anyone interested, please send a private message, and we'll set up a time.
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:00 am

I also second Americorp's suggestions.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:15 pm

americorps wrote:I vote a pot-luck dinner either Friday October 15 or Saturday October 17 in the evening or maybe a brunch the afternoon of Sunday October 18, anyone else free that weekend?

Wow Kevin, that's the longest Friday I've ever seen! :lol:

Just kidding, I know you mean Friday the 15th, Saturday the 16th or Sunday the 17th.

I like the idea too: pot-luck on Friday or Saturday night, or potluck brunch on a Sunday.
stranger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby stranger » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:08 pm

I'd prefer a day time catch up on Sunday, but an evening would be okay.

Saying that, I don't know what "pot-luck" means...
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:53 pm

Polaron, thanks for catching the date slip-up.

Ok, let's shoot for Saturday Night, October 16th from 8-whenever.

I will offer to host this time with perhaps Polaron taking the next one so we can pass it around.

A pot-luck is a dinner where everyone brings one thing. Usually (but not always) the host provides a main dish, like a meat and everyone else who comes brings something like a salad or a veggie dish or a desert or bread or drinks or something...and we sort of do a sign up so everyone does not bring the same thing.

I will start the ball rolling by making my Spaghetti with meat sauce as the meat entree.

So someone should offer to bring at least one the following:...keep in mind the list is informal, there are no rules, just suggestions.

Vegetarian Entree
Bread
Vegetable Side dish
Salad
Desert
Drinks
Snacks
Appetizer
Ice
Wine/Alcohol
Plastic Cups

I live in San Borja, near the Municipalidad, behind cuadra 37 of Aviacion and behind cuadra 27 of San Luis. RSVP here online OR pm me with how many people you are bringing and what dish(es) you are bringing and I will PM exact directions.

??? Any Objections?????

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register