New Construction Apartments

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

New Construction Apartments

Postby edgeclinger » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:26 am

When purchasing new construction apartments, do they normally include some type of heating system? Water heaters? Looking at the websites of the various new complexes, they mention kitchen and bathroom cabinetry included, but I see no mention of heating or hot water.
A related question: Does there tend to be a significant price difference between new construction and older apartments?
As always, thanks for everyone's responses.
Laurie

Loving Living in Lima
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Construction Apartments

Postby markr » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:30 pm

edgeclinger wrote:When purchasing new construction apartments, do they normally include some type of heating system? Water heaters? Looking at the websites of the various new complexes, they mention kitchen and bathroom cabinetry included, but I see no mention of heating or hot water.
A related question: Does there tend to be a significant price difference between new construction and older apartments?
As always, thanks for everyone's responses.
Laurie

Bearing in mind the quality, or lack of it, in the fixtures and fittings I've seen in Peruvian apartments at all price ranges, I would try and buy an empty shell an fit it out myself.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi Laurie. Hope all is well with you. It's my understanding that there is typically no central air system installation (heating or cooling) in most of the apartments in Lima, except perhaps for the very high end properties. Also, typically each unit has individual water heaters installed somewhere in the unit, usually in a closet or anchored from the ceiling. The one in our two-bedroom apartment we rented last year was very small, I couldn't even get our tub filled before the hot warm ran out. Good luck!
ztwentyseven

Postby ztwentyseven » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:07 pm

Hi Laurie! One of my first questions is which areas are you looking into buying and what type of residence (quality wise) you are looking for. The newer buildings in the high end areas like Monterrico, La Molina, Miraflores and San Isidro may have central AC units, but you will see a steep price for that convenience. Usually in Lima, because the dwellings are built out of cement, it tends to keep the houses cooler in the summer and even with the humidity factor, don`t tend to get as cold as North American winters. But for the most part, the best thing for you to do might be (seeing as labor is so cheap) buy an apartment you love and are willing to finish to your personal preferences... and if you need AC later, you can add independently installed AC Units and Heaters in the rooms you need them (the price range tends to be between $400 and $800 dollars (depending on your cooling needs, room size, etc.).

Also, regarding water heaters (and most other appliances builders install, as noted above) the contractors tend to put in the smallest, cheapest, easiest solution. Many of our clients have taken out the water heaters that their units came with and installed gas or electric `instant water heaters` which only heat the water you need as it comes out... saving both on energy bills and allowing you to never run out of hot water.

Good luck in your search.....
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Hmmm... Z27 makes me wonder about questions I hadn't even thought of before. It hadn't occurred to me to question whether one might want/need air conditioning! I haven't lived anywhere that it was needed in years and do not like being in closed-up air-conditioned space. But I had thought that during the winter months, some sort of heating system might be desirable and that therefore the newer buildings might be built with that in mind. Sounds like maybe that's not the case. As for water heaters, I don't like the tank things, which seem very inefficient and wasteful. I'm hoping that we will be able to install some type of on-demand type of system, but was wondering what other people had (and whether their building had been designed that way or that they had installed the system later).
To answer your question, we plan to live in Miraflores and will look for an apartment with at least 2 bedrooms and 2 baths on a budget (less than $100,000 US)
Laurie
Loving Living in Lima
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:25 pm

edgeclinger wrote:Thanks to all of you for your replies. Hmmm... Z27 makes me wonder about questions I hadn't even thought of before. It hadn't occurred to me to question whether one might want/need air conditioning! I haven't lived anywhere that it was needed in years and do not like being in closed-up air-conditioned space. But I had thought that during the winter months, some sort of heating system might be desirable and that therefore the newer buildings might be built with that in mind. Sounds like maybe that's not the case. As for water heaters, I don't like the tank things, which seem very inefficient and wasteful. I'm hoping that we will be able to install some type of on-demand type of system, but was wondering what other people had (and whether their building had been designed that way or that they had installed the system later).
To answer your question, we plan to live in Miraflores and will look for an apartment with at least 2 bedrooms and 2 baths on a budget (less than $100,000 US)
Laurie

Laurie: The apartments in Miraflores go for $600 (very low end) to $1250 a square meter as a general rule of thumb.
Regards,

George
Jennifer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jennifer » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:49 pm

I'd be interested to know which buildings you're considering? Can you give us the websites of those (if they have them!) you're looking at??

I also found that prices vary from around US$600 p/sq meter to around US$1500 around the Malecons.

Quality varies tremendously too. In fact I was surprised to find so many at such low quality - terrible fixtures and fittings and awful wood floor. Like someone else said, buying a shell and kitting it out yourself is worth considering and will also help elimate future issues with a lot of the crap they put in - which will only need replacing anyway a couple of years down the line as it falls apart.

Keep us informed how you get on.

J
Serionlv
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Serionlv » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:09 pm

When we bought our place new it came without any water heater or light fixtures but did come with bathroom fixtures and minimal cabinets and sink in the kitchen. We purchased a hot water heater and had it installed. Installation usually is included in the price of whatever type of water heater you desire. We have a smaller good quality tank and never run low on hot water. But its just two of us and we have showers, no tub. There are a number of on demand options sold here. We went to a market in Surquillo for all the light fixtures. They were very reasonably priced and we had a good selection.

Here in Miraflores it is very cool and damp in winter. We use a space heater (a heated liquid type) occasionally when the night is really chilly. I invested in the biggest dehumidifier we could find and it actually makes the departamento feel much warmer when its running. Summer we use fans on stuffy days. AC would be a nice luxury in the bedroom but we have not done that yet.

Our place is about 87 sq meters with 2 br 2 ba. If you are comfortable in something smaller like ours you should stay within budget.

If you are buying new you can change some things (interior walls or door placements) and move some plumbing and electrical. We went basic on everything and have upgraded as we have had the money to do it. But moving plumbing and electrical when everything is in concrete walls, floors and ceilings is really difficult. So be sure to finalize the placement of those things before the apartment is built.

One thing we did do right away was to have built-in drawers and shelving in the closets since the bedrooms are quite small.

We are upgrading our kitchen now and it has gone relatively smoothly and quickly. I will make a post about the process when its completed.

Have fun with the process, we did. Just be sure to have a little patience for delays and little things.
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:28 am

Thanks everyone for your informative replies! We had originally thought we would buy a used apartment, but when visiting new construction sites while there last time, realized the benefit of buying new construction and having some flexibility with regards to moving or deleting walls and such. As discussed before though, the idea of buying pre-construction was too much risk for us. The heating question just hadn't occurred to me until recently when I started thinking about winter temperatures in Lima.
Jennifer: some of the sites I've looked at are:
http://www.enriquepalacios630.com/
http://www.ftconstructores.com/ipanema/
http://www.colesiinmobiliaria.com/jorge ... index.html
http://www.edificionaturale.com/vistas.html
All will change of course, once we get back there and have the time to visit sites and get more information. We like the duplexes that have roof terraces, but probably won't be able to find one we can afford.
I really appreciate this forum and the information that people are willing to share. Because of some medical issues, we've had to delay our move for a couple of months. But I hope that when we finally get back, we will be able to meet some of you in person.
Thanks again
Laurie
Loving Living in Lima
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Serionlv wrote:When we bought our place new it came without any water heater or light fixtures but did come with bathroom fixtures and minimal cabinets and sink in the kitchen. We purchased a hot water heater and had it installed. Installation usually is included in the price of whatever type of water heater you desire. We have a smaller good quality tank and never run low on hot water. But its just two of us and we have showers, no tub. There are a number of on demand options sold here. We went to a market in Surquillo for all the light fixtures. They were very reasonably priced and we had a good selection.

Here in Miraflores it is very cool and damp in winter. We use a space heater (a heated liquid type) occasionally when the night is really chilly. I invested in the biggest dehumidifier we could find and it actually makes the departamento feel much warmer when its running. Summer we use fans on stuffy days. AC would be a nice luxury in the bedroom but we have not done that yet.

Our place is about 87 sq meters with 2 br 2 ba. If you are comfortable in something smaller like ours you should stay within budget.

If you are buying new you can change some things (interior walls or door placements) and move some plumbing and electrical. We went basic on everything and have upgraded as we have had the money to do it. But moving plumbing and electrical when everything is in concrete walls, floors and ceilings is really difficult. So be sure to finalize the placement of those things before the apartment is built.

One thing we did do right away was to have built-in drawers and shelving in the closets since the bedrooms are quite small.

We are upgrading our kitchen now and it has gone relatively smoothly and quickly. I will make a post about the process when its completed.

Have fun with the process, we did. Just be sure to have a little patience for delays and little things.

Could you do me the favor and let me know who your guy was that did the remodeling? I might be remodelling my kitchen.
How are his prices?
Regards,

George
Serionlv
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Serionlv » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:58 pm

The name of the young man who helped me is below. He does not speak English. We are almost done and I am very happy with the work and service. They did a great job of bringing my plans to life. The bid was well below a couple of others we obtained. I felt it was a very fair price. I could have saved a lot of money by skipping the granite counters but I did not want to add them later. I am glad now I did.

I will do a post and link some photos when its all done (Friday)

Daniel E. Lizarraga Leon
Homfer Ingenieros SAC
98577 5638

Tell him Bob Esponja sent you
Wine Lover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wine Lover » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:20 pm

On the subject of heating in homes; it is difficult to heat homes in Lima because of the humidity.
A doctor told me that it makes it worse heating a room when there is 90%+ humidity. You need to run a dehumidifier in every room first and then turn on the heater.

Rug up and keep warm.

In summer A/C works fine.
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:00 pm

Wine Lover wrote:On the subject of heating in homes; it is difficult to heat homes in Lima because of the humidity.
A doctor told me that it makes it worse heating a room when there is 90%+ humidity. You need to run a dehumidifier in every room first and then turn on the heater.

Did the doctor tell you why you had to dehumidify before heating? As an engineer, I can tell you that if you heat a cold humid air, not only will the temperature increase, but the humidity will significantly go down, therefore no need in using a dehumidifier

Fausto
UCSMiami

Postby UCSMiami » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:39 pm

Problem from what I have seen is that the interior walls are not sheathed in gypsum board (drywall) with fiberglass insulation inbetween plus the extremely poor window sealing and thermal properties result in high interior humidity. (As an aside also result in unhealthy conditions inside the rooms during cold weather and evening hours.) The room envelope is not sealed against the outside climate and if the concrete is new it will release moisure into the room resulting in high humidity.

I sell and have sold construction materials in a concrete and high humidity market (Miami to Caribbean) In Lima, there is the addition of cold winters.
Ian Hawkes
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ian Hawkes » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:19 pm

most apartments (again based on where you live) may well have a heating setting on the air conditioner.

If it is 'New Construction Apartments' it will be state of art - hot water,

Old verses new - can sometimes depend on who lived there before you. Go for an old one if it's cheaper - it will still be state of the art.
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:26 am

Some things to consider before buying an apartment (from El Comercio newspaper):

http://elcomercio.pe/impresa/notas/hogar-dulce-hogar_1/20100814/623127

Fausto

P.S.: you can get pdf version too (look for "descargar PDF)
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:11 am

Good article. Thanks for posting it.
Laurie
Loving Living in Lima
Michelle Leopard

Postby Michelle Leopard » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:16 pm

Hello all,

I work on a television show in America called 'House Hunters International' that follows English speaking expats who are buying property abroad. We are looking for energetic individuals, couples and families to share their story about moving abroad. Participating in our show is a lot of fun and a great way to document your exciting search for a home and new life abroad. If you are about to buy property in Peru and would be interested in finding out more, please drop me an email. [email protected]

Best wishes,

Michelle
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:42 am

I'm going to echo others and say that it is probably best to fit out the unit yourself. We had to put in light fixtures throughout our entire unit and vanity mirrors in the bathrooms. Our kitchen only came with a cabinet where the sink was and we had to buy our own water heater.

Anyway, the option of finishing the apartment yourself may work out better for you, since tastes in American and Peruvian qualities vary greatly (I find the finishes and decorations of many Peruvian apartments to be tacky). You'll probably end up with something more functional if you do it yourself.

I don't know what you're going to find for under $100K in Miraflores. With the current housing bubble in Peru (I'm one of those that believe Lima is in a bubble), $100K will probably not get you a lot of square meters. Just as a reference, I bought a 75 m2 (approx. 800 sq ft) top floor flat, 2 blocks from Malecon Grau in Chorrillos for $32K in 2007. Now you won't find a similar unit for under $60K. The higher up you go in Miraflores, the more it will cost you, whereas in Chorrillos, the higher up you go in the building, the less it will cost you.

Prices will not vary much between newer and older units when the newer units are still in pre-construction. Once the building is constructed, then the newer units will go for more than the older units.

Anyway, good luck on your search. It can be really frustrating when buying real estate in Peru (especially pre-construction), but you'll feel good once the key is finally in your hand and the house/flat is yours.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register