Immature Managers, Centro Comercial Caminos del Inka

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Immature Managers, Centro Comercial Caminos del Inka

Postby americorps » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:09 am

Ok,

This is just childish and I wish to vent. It is not a comment on Peru other than it is happening to me in Peru.

There is a lot of construction going on at the corner of Caminos del Inca and Angamos and road closures and whatnot. As a result getting here is difficult and I presume will be for the next year. Such is life in the big city and I think the improvements they are making will end up being much better for the area.

The Centro Comercial is a great little center with all kinds of shops from book stores to clothing stores to party stores to slot car races to Dungeons and Dragons stores to a cinema to travel agencies to delis to desert shops to spas to Hello Kitty store to shoes to medical supplies to pharmacies...the list goes on and on.

There is a Starbucks and a host of other wonderful stores. The mall is broken up into 3 parts, each owned by a different entity. The parking garage upstairs and 2 parts of the mall, they call the primer etapa and the segunda etapa.

The mall does not have an official opening time. Stores in both sides are open as early as 8AM, with the majority opening at 10. The doors on the mall are open at 7.

My assistant takes a bus and due to construction is let off on the far side of the mall from our office, near the Starbucks. He came in as he has for the last 2 years, even got a coffee in a little shop in the primer etapa before coming up the stairs to the third floor and walking over to the segunda etapa to open the office.

This was about 9:15 with at least 15% of the shops on both sides of the mall open.

Well, it seems there was recent personal immature animocity between the management of the primer etapa and the segunda etapa so intstead of crossing the hallway (open, no doors) they now insist my assistant or anyone else return to the first floor and walk around the outside of the building to enter on the other side. It is just plain childishness and more importantly, it is bad business.

I have purchased, in the last month, more than a thousand soles of crap from the primer etapa inlcuding little statues, food, magazines and clothing. I am a regular at many of those locations and I have drafted a letter letting them know that as long as the managers continue to put my assistant in the middle of their feud, I can no long cross the line to make any more purchases. It will cost them money.

I would totally understand if the building were only open to allow in workers, but since stores on both sides were opening and functioning and especially since he made a purchase on that side, this is just ignorant and something that effects business.

In the 21st Century and educated man such as the managers of the 2 etapas must learn to put aside childishness and instead focus on how to best servce their customers..in this case the tennents of the buildings as well as the customers who wish to shop.

Can you imagine them telling a customer to leave the building out the back door and walk around to the other side to make a purchase in what is for all intent and purpose 1 building?

I do not suffer fools well and I consider this foolishness.

I hope they grow up.

Yes, my assistant can and is walking around to the other side of the building, but it costs him time and the other day it was actually raining and he got needlessly wet for no reason. It is the principle of the thing much more than the inconvenience. I pay a lot of rent and I am a customer of both sides and I am not used to paying people money to treat me or my friends or staff as such.

/rant off

alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Immature Managers, Centro Comercial Caminos del Inka

Postby alan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:04 pm

If it were not so sad, it would be funny.

That mall has had a hell of a time. It was launched with a lot of fanfare just as terrorism began to rock the country, and scare folks out of crowded public places, especially such an obvious target as a capitalist shopping mall. Then, when the violence ended and Peru´s economy improved, Jockey Plaza was launched and the Centro Camino Real shopping center never recovered. It is a shame, since it is really a big space and is convenient to those living in San Isidro and Miraflores. A lot of stores are closed, the escalators don´t always work, and the place smells like death.

The kind of in-fighting you describe makes me worry that there is no hope whatsoever.
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:20 pm

Centro Caminos del Inka (Chacarilla) and Centro Camino Real (San Isidro) :D
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:41 pm

Why can't you tell the managers to shove off?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:45 pm

2 answers to that question.

1. I did

2. I rent inside a shopping mall, it makes it hard to avoid them.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:24 pm

FHCZ wrote:Centro Caminos del Inka (Chacarilla) and Centro Camino Real (San Isidro) :D

Duh!

Sorry about that... In any event.. hope it all works out for you Americorps...

The Camino Real mall in SI is probably worthy of another post altogether. A brick and mortar metaphor for bad timing.

Alan
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:22 pm

Is it not the entire premise of having a mall to have a large number of people exposed to your good and services?!? By having regular customers bypass areas where they would usually spend is moronic to the nth degree!!!! I may not be the best businessman in the world, but I know not to turn people (esp. those who work there) off and have them spend somewhere else. MORONS!!!
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:31 pm

Well, the story has gotten more interesting.

The manager was upset he had been challenged, so he has not only tightened security for crossing, he has decided he will not open the elevators until 11am. I did a survey and 15% of the stores opened between 8-9 and by 10am more than 40% of the stores are open on both sides. His tennents are furious and he blamed the people from our side of the building.

When he did that, I went door to door explaining that he was ashamed because I challenged him and he got angry when the stores I frequent told him he should not deny me or any of their customers the ability to cross from one side to another.

I offered to start a tenants organization, but people were scared of that. However, I have been told that a business on the third floor and a couple on the second floor have filed a complaint to the owner of the building, over the head of the manager.

When I found this out, I got the contact info for the owner and sent him a letter of my own.

The bottom line, he is hurting business to all the companies, and needs to be told that is not acceptable in a shopping mall.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:40 am

What's the latest on this?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:16 am

When the owners sent their complaint, he agreed to open the elevator at 10 am instead of 11 as well as the door between the 2 sides of the building, but not to be totally defeated, he put up signs on the bathroom that say that ONLY customers of his side of the building should use those bathrooms. I, of course, pop in every morning at 10am, use the bathroom then head up the elevator to my office.

For the record, I am not using his elevator JUST to be confrontational, I have a little arthritis in my right knee and walking up stairs can be painful some mornings. One morning they tried to challenge me when using the elevator, but I explained that I had arthritis and if they confronted me again, I would be forced to file a complaint for denial of access by persons with disabilities. They backed down and have not bothered me since.

One problem that has made everything worse is that the segunda etapa, my side, both their elevators are broken and will probably not be working for some months as they are waiting for an entire elevator system to be boated over from Italy. That means the elevators on the first side are the only ones for the whole building and are getting an extra work load and as a result, have broken down a couple times in the last month.

To their credit, my side of the building has offered to pay 50% of any maintenance costs until our new elevators are installed. But I do understand that to be frustrating to the other side.

One other incident was my mother was here visiting for 6 weeks and one morning she came to meet me at the office at 8:45 am and came in the first side to use the elevator. She uses a walker and some guard would not let her on the elevator, but the manager happened to be walking by and saw it and admonished the guard and turned on the elevator for her. His office is on the third floor, same as mine and so he rode the elevator up with her. Imagine his face a minute later when he realized it was my mother when I came to greet her. I simply thanked him profusely for turning on the elevator before hours, I told him I was grateful.

We have also had trouble with the parking lot owner. He got a huge fine from the Municipality of Surco for assorted violations and was closed for several days some months ago and his response was to raise parking to 6 soles per hour, and has failed to realize the raise in rates is connected to no one parking there anymore. To raise revenue, he tried renting out some parking spaces to craftsmen who were pipecutters and woodworkers.

The result, lout equipment noises, like giant saws echoing throughout the cavernous area and invading the top floor of the centro comercial. In my office, I was unable to talk on the phone because I could not hear. I had to go to the manager of my etapa who then had to negociate something with the manager of the parking lot. It was resolved in a couple days though, they only do heavy work in the parking lot after 9 at night now, after all the stores are closed.

Making all of this more challenging to the mall and it's shops is the fact that much of Angamos and Caminos del Incas is torn up for repairs leaving long congested detours and limited parking and combine that with the 6 sole parking upstairs, business is way down. Some shops who were on the edge to begin with have left and others are complaining.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register