Peruvian Flag - this time of year?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
RyanI
Silver Member
Silver Member

Peruvian Flag - this time of year?

Postby RyanI » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:51 pm

Hi,
I asked some colleagues about all the Peruvian flags I am seeing all over Lima at the moment and I am told that is is law here that every residential building has to have a flag for the holidays next week. At first I thought they were pulling my leg but they were absolutely insistant that I must raise a flag and it must be visible from the street. I live in a standalone house in La Molina so I cannot get way with someone else raisign a flag for my building.

Is this true?

PS: I have only been in Peru since MArch so this will be our first "28" holiday.

Thanks

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peruvian Flag - this time of year?

Postby americorps » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:37 pm

Yes, most districts in Peru have laws that you MUST be patriotic and display the flag. I have heard tales that you can get an excemption if you are not Peruvian from your municipality in some areas, but it is not worth it because people will constantly question it.

Voting is mandatory as well for Peruvians.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:50 pm

It's seems like there are far fewer flags out in our part of Miraflores this year. I was nervous last year, I felt like we stuck out like a sore thumb - but so far this year I hardly see any.

Also, previously in Surquillo, our boys schools always sent a note home saying the boys had to have an 'escarapela' pinned on their uniforms or they wouldn't be allowed in class - this year, no one has said a word. I'm the only one in my family wearing one. :?
RyanI
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby RyanI » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:41 pm

Thanks, at last I know it is true. I have no problem displaying the flag - just wanted to confirm that it is required. I will buy one tomorrow on one of the street corners.
iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iskndarbey » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:17 pm

Last year the building where I was renting in Miraflores received a letter from the Municipality informing us that we had to clean and repaint the facade in time for Independence Day, at our expense of course.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:16 am

It's a bit like being told by a someone that you are required to give a "donation". If it's not voluntary its not a donation. Likewise if its compulsory it's not being patriotic.
Tom
inscop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby inscop » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:46 pm

See ChiclyoGringo's blog for a nice article about Peruvian Fiestas patrias:

http://chiclayogringo.blogspot.com/
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:45 pm

I don't have the time or energy right now to check my facts, but another titbit of information is that the flag you fly must not have the escudo (shield/coat of arms) in the center.

The escudo... in fact there are actually several variations of them... are to be used only by the appropriate authorities, such as the typical escudo we are used to seeing is for the civilian government, each of the armed forces has their own escudo etc etc.
As private citizens, our flags are required to be plain red and white, with no further decoration.

BTW, if you happen to hate Peru and Peruvians, the flag you fly is a star with the letters "APRA" under it.
amylimena
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby amylimena » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:38 pm

At the school I work at the escarapela is mandatory for students and teachers!
Chiclayo gringo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Chiclayo gringo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:26 pm

stuart wrote:I don't have the time or energy right now to check my facts, but another titbit of information is that the flag you fly must not have the escudo (shield/coat of arms) in the center.

The escudo... in fact there are actually several variations of them... are to be used only by the appropriate authorities, such as the typical escudo we are used to seeing is for the civilian government, each of the armed forces has their own escudo etc etc.
As private citizens, our flags are required to be plain red and white, with no further decoration.

True…but the requirement is not enforced, at least in Chiclayo. A walk around centro this morning showed the flags displayed on government offices, businesses and private homes to be about evenly divided between plain and those with the escudo. And all the miniature flags I’ve seen on motos and taxis have the escudo.

Tom
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:10 pm

Chiclayo gringo wrote:
stuart wrote:I don't have the time or energy right now to check my facts, but another titbit of information is that the flag you fly must not have the escudo (shield/coat of arms) in the center.

True…but the requirement is not enforced, at least in Chiclayo. A walk around centro this morning showed the flags displayed on government offices, businesses and private homes to be about evenly divided between plain and those with the escudo. And all the miniature flags I’ve seen on motos and taxis have the escudo.

Tom

I just bought my car flag, and yes, it seems all this year's batch are escudo-fied.

On a slightly separate note, I find it absolutely surreal that were are using the verb "to enforce" when talking about something in Peru!! First time for everything.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:12 pm

Not a flag flies on my street, a secondary thoroughfare in Pueblo Libre, and there are even a couple of apartment buildings among the houses. Go figure.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register