Ghosts of Lima, Peru?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
henrybhyde

Ghosts of Lima, Peru?

Postby henrybhyde » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:38 am

I am gathering information on Ghost stories/legends in and around Lima, Peru. I have found some material on the internet. but there doesn't seem to be a book or anything published on this subject. Can anyone recommend any good sources for material? Perhaps you can share a location and story that you are familiar with? Any particular buildings or places I should be researching? Historical figures? People I should try to connect with who may have stories of their own to share?

Thanks!

Ian Hawkes
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Ghosts of Lima, Peru?

Postby Ian Hawkes » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:10 pm

There is a 'casona' on the corner of Pierola y Grau in Barranco. It used to be the residence of a peruvian president (can't remember which one). we were thinking about buying it so managed to have a look around, the old lady who owns it also owns 'Las Mesitas' on Grau (by Barranco Blvd). You may want to try to have a look around the mansion and ask her to tell you it's history - there are bats on the third floor and it's spooky.
yoenlima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby yoenlima » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:55 pm

The Real Felipe Fort/Castle in El Callao is also a source of some serious paranormal activity you may be able to find plenty of information on the web. La Quinta Hereen in Los Barrios Altos, is another one, although it may not be safe to wonder around since its vecinty it is also plagued with criminal activity.
-Yoenlima
amylimena
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby amylimena » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:46 pm

Yeah, the Real Felipe! They even had an episode of Ghost Hunters where they went there.
henrybhyde

Postby henrybhyde » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:12 pm

Great stuff! Please keep the leads coming!
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:26 pm

henrybhyde wrote:Great stuff! Please keep the leads coming!

You may want to visit my mother-in-law!
henrybhyde

Postby henrybhyde » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:13 am

And why would I visit your mother-in-law????
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:31 am

henrybhyde wrote:And why would I visit your mother-in-law????

You wanted to see a ghost, not? :D
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:13 pm

My husband tells me that there is an old casona in downtown Lima that is haunted. Local legend has it that if you go in, you don't come back out sane. I don't know exactly where this place is, but someone may have more insight or info on its whereabouts.

Also, if you are interested, I did a post in my blog a few months back titled "The Lost Souls of Peru." It features different locations in Peru that are supposedly haunted, including Machu Picchu. The most interesting one is an old casona in Puno that not even the PNP dares walk by.

http://rachelinperu.wordpress.com/2010/04/13/lost-souls-peru/
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:18 pm

rgamarra wrote:My husband tells me that there is an old casona in downtown Lima that is haunted. Local legend has it that if you go in, you don't come back out sane. I don't know exactly where this place is, but someone may have more insight or info on its whereabouts.

I think is the second floor of the casona where Hiraoka is located in downtown Lima on the corner of Cuzco and Abancay

Fausto
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:45 pm

Fausto,

Wasn't it the Matushita House on Wilson Avenue (now Inca Garcilazo) across from the former site of the American Embassy?
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
viernes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby viernes » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:48 pm

In La Perla, Callao, right on the Avenida La Paz, There is a steep eroding cliff that you can see stand at the top of and see the beach about 150 ft below. Some people tell me that there is a legend that if you go there at night you can see a ghost woman who dances on the beach. I would never recommend this, because this is a highly dangerous area, at night or during the day, but I went once at about 10:30pm with a kid who lives around there Right at the end of Ave. Santa Rosa. Though, when I went, was a couple years ago and the Costanera didn't exist yet. I was a lot more scared of finding a pandilla around there then I was about finding a ghost, but nonetheless, I saw nothing, just a dark, trash covered, cliff, with dirty water breaking on the rocky beach below. But who knows that the origin is of this story.

Also, everyone seems to have a story about a Duende, especially near any huaca en lima.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:23 pm

La llorona is a pretty famous ghost story, seems like there's one in every Central/South American country.
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:07 am

mammalu wrote:Fausto,

Wasn't it the Matushita House on Wilson Avenue (now Inca Garcilazo) across from the former site of the American Embassy?

Yes you are right Mammalu, it was on the second floor of the Matushita House next to the former US Embassy building (maybe CIA ghosts?)

Fausto
henrybhyde

Postby henrybhyde » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:43 pm

rgamarra wrote:Also, if you are interested, I did a post in my blog a few months back titled "The Lost Souls of Peru." It features different locations in Peru that are supposedly haunted, including Machu Picchu. The most interesting one is an old casona in Puno that not even the PNP dares walk by.

http://rachelinperu.wordpress.com/2010/ ... ouls-peru/

Wow! Impressive! All these places seem so spread out though! Too bad! Thanks for the lead. Please pass on any others you may have! I may contact you to meet and discuss some of this when I get there!
henrybhyde

Postby henrybhyde » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:46 pm

Kelly wrote:La llorona is a pretty famous ghost story, seems like there's one in every Central/South American country.

How cool is that! There were actually 3 "ghost" legends on that page. All of them really good material. I have to find out more information about these! Thank you for the lead!
henrybhyde

Postby henrybhyde » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm

viernes wrote:In La Perla, Callao, right on the Avenida La Paz, There is a steep eroding cliff that you can see stand at the top of and see the beach about 150 ft below. Some people tell me that there is a legend that if you go there at night you can see a ghost woman who dances on the beach. I would never recommend this, because this is a highly dangerous area, at night or during the day, but I went once at about 10:30pm with a kid who lives around there Right at the end of Ave. Santa Rosa. Though, when I went, was a couple years ago and the Costanera didn't exist yet. I was a lot more scared of finding a pandilla around there then I was about finding a ghost, but nonetheless, I saw nothing, just a dark, trash covered, cliff, with dirty water breaking on the rocky beach below. But who knows that the origin is of this story.

Also, everyone seems to have a story about a Duende, especially near any huaca en lima.

Anyone no more about these legends???
henrybhyde

Postby henrybhyde » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:49 pm

mammalu wrote:Fausto,

Can anyone confirm? I'd love to check this out!
henrybhyde

Postby henrybhyde » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:53 pm

Remigius wrote:
henrybhyde wrote:And why would I visit your mother-in-law????

You wanted to see a ghost, not? :D

So, Remigius! Has Ghost Hunters International visited your mother-in-law recently??? Does she carry a legend of dragging off son-in-laws who were found unwilling to please the ole ghost? 8)
henrybhyde

Postby henrybhyde » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:54 pm

yoenlima wrote:The Real Felipe Fort/Castle in El Callao is also a source of some serious paranormal activity you may be able to find plenty of information on the web. La Quinta Hereen in Los Barrios Altos, is another one, although it may not be safe to wonder around since its vecinty it is also plagued with criminal activity.

Fascinating! Thank you!
henrybhyde

Postby henrybhyde » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:56 pm

Has anyone collected their own pictures/videos of Peruvian ghosts/orbs that they might be willing to share?\

Any ghost legends involving historical figures in Peru's history?

I am really having fun with this! Thanks for indulging me!
yoenlima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby yoenlima » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:01 pm

It is my understanding that most historical sites have some form of paranormal activity, and the only way to find out would be to actually go to the site and perhaps interview workers or residents of the site. El museo de la Inquisicion is a good place to go too. I am pretty sure it's haunted! Just a visit gives you the chills...
Old hospitals, jails sites, some haciendas also are known for having ghosts. The catacumbas are a good place to go as well.
-Yoenlima

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register