Best Ceviche in Miraflores

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Ian Hawkes
Silver Member
Silver Member

Best Ceviche in Miraflores

Postby Ian Hawkes » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:32 am

Back when I lived in Peru/Lima (1999-2005) I would go to a cevicheria at the end of Jr. La Mar in Miraflores, it was close to where I lived so I didn't really try other places. Am wondering what is your favourite cevicheria in Miraflores and if anyone knows the name of the one in Jr. La Mar as I've forgot.

edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Best Ceviche in Miraflores

Postby edgeclinger » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:24 pm

One of the fun things about being in Lima for me is to just walk around until we come across a restaurant that looks interesting. Usually it's a hole-in-the-wall place. Almost all of them are great. Almost all of them are cheap. And the adventure of discovering a new place is something I love to do.
Having said that, so far one of the first places we ever tried is still great in my book:

Lobo del Mar (http://edgingfurthersouth.blogspot.com/ ... heria.html) on Juan Fanning in Miraflores remains my favorite.

Another one that I love is a wonderful little cebicheria on the corner by the market (Av Ricardo Palma I think) called Arrecife. Owner is Isabel. Great lunch for cheap price:
http://edgingfurthersouth.blogspot.com/ ... place.html

I'm anxious to hear everyone else's recommendations. I am soooo starved for ceviche right now that I think I'll just try a different cevicheria for lunch every day for the first month, at least, when we get back! :lol:

Laurie
Loving Living in Lima
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby craig » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:22 pm

edgeclinger wrote:Lobo del Mar on Juan Fanning in Miraflores remains my favorite.
I'm anxious to hear everyone else's recommendations. I am soooo starved for ceviche right now that I think I'll just try a different cevicheria for lunch every day for the first month, at least, when we get back! :lol:

Walk one (long) block down Juan Fanning. Around the corner on Colon is a great cevicheria.

Craig
--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson
anuta

Postby anuta » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:01 pm

My favorite ceviche in Lima was at Alfresco, it won "the best ceviche " prize at some point. I think the address is Malecon Balta 790, between the parque Kennedy and the parque del Amor.
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:37 pm

Ceviche. Raw fish. Can't stand the stuff.
Fish should be deep fried in batter and served with chips and mushy peas, with lashings of salt and vinagar.
Oh! and don't forget the Ketchup, anything else is sacrilege :lol:
Jennifer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jennifer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:37 am

There's a reasonable place on Av. Ejercito, about block 7 of Miraflores. It's called Puerto Marisko and does great ceviche for a very good price.

However the VERY BEST is inside the market just behind the Vivanda store on the corner of Encalada/Primavera. Absolutely the most incredible plate of ceviche i've ever had. Amazing taste, sooo fresh, great service, preparado en el momento. Almost always packed out. It's a standup and eat place. Love it! 10 soles. Bargain.
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:39 am

I never ever really liked fish of any kind. Over the last 10 years I have started to eat alot more of it (Peruvian wife!!!). I have eaten ceviche in a number of places and never really been impressed until I was taken to Fiesta on Reducto. Not only to they make a fantastic Pisco Sour right at your table but the ceviche, to me , was unbelievable!!!! I was putting it down like popcorn shrimp!!!! That was almost 2 years ago and I am still talking about it. The restaurant is not cheap but it does rank right up there on the "WOW" meter.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:54 am

The best cebiche can be found in the barrios of Lima (ghettos). I have lived north and south of Lima, and Chiclayo has it's claim to fame as far as great food. But the best I tasted is in a small restaurant in Mercado Magdelena "Cebicheria LUZ"
Also has the best Chicha. I freuquent this place a lot when in Lima. THere are a few tables and the lines stretches to the streets on weekends.

They also serve "Leche de Tigre, they say it is a natural afrodisiac :-)".
It is like a seafood cocktail with lime juice.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:59 pm

There is good ceviche to be found in all parts of Lima, not just Miraflores and not just certain neighborhoods.

San Borja has a street with many cevicherias, Rosa Toro about 2 blocks above San Luis between Javier Prado and Canada. They have some great ceviche.

There is a little hole in the wall in San Borja on Aviacion and Frey Luis de Leon that is inside a very tiny centro comercial and the dinning room actually used to be the restrooms. It was recommended to us by Sr. Gaston himself. It is always packed.

I have had 2 ceviches I have considered the best I have tasted in Peru. One was at Astrid and Gaston's in Miralfores who, while expensive, I would NOT call over-rated. It is simply the best.

The other, believe it or not, was on a street corner in Trujillo for 3 soles. Just as good as Astrid and Gaston's.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:22 pm

The best cebiche is straight from the sea, it does not get any better that the restaurants in Pimentel beach. But I am still a fan of Cebicheria LUZ becasue many of their plates can hang with any cebecheria in Peru.
zarjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby zarjoe » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:49 pm

There is a "new" Lomo del Mar in Monterrico on the right (east) side of Primavera just passed Encalada. I agree their ceviche is great, but the platos fuertes are to DIE for! Try the Picante de Langostos... yummy!

Although I know a lot of you would cut out your eyes before you use Angamos/Primavera to cross over to Monterrico... but for us on this side... its a great little secret that we don't have to leave the neighborhood to go.

OH... an for Sushi over here... SUSHITO in El Polo Centro is great but a little pricey... at the corner of Encalada and Primavera, HANZO Sushi does the coolest things I have seen with ceviche rolls and aji rolls.... yum yum... happy dining!
Chiclayo gringo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Chiclayo gringo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:23 pm

markr wrote:Ceviche. Raw fish. Can't stand the stuff.
Fish should be deep fried in batter and served with chips and mushy peas, with lashings of salt and vinagar.

Mark…I was right there with you until you passed the word ‘chips’ without inserting a period, and then added all that other vulgar stuff. You do know that a longing for civilized cuisine, and not ‘taxation without representation’ is the real reason we colonists declared independence, don’t you?

Tom
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:32 pm

Chiclayo gringo wrote:

Mark…I was right there with you until you passed the word ‘chips’ without inserting a period, and then added all that other vulgar stuff. You do know that a longing for civilized cuisine, and not ‘taxation without representation’ is the real reason we colonists declared independence, don’t you?

Tom

At least he added 'ketchup.'
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:02 pm

Chiclayo gringo wrote:

Tom

And here was me thinking that you Guys just couldn't stand a bit of culture, especially after what Richard and Maurice did to the burger. :twisted:
http://sendables.jibjab.com/ecards/cate ... ndence_day
Look at the British Nonsense clip :lol:

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register