Buying Water

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
User avatar
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Magdalena del Mar
Contact:

Buying Water

Postby edgeclinger » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:08 am

Do they sell the giant containers of water here - the ones that normally you put into some sort of dispenser? I'm thinking that maybe I just haven't noticed them, or haven't been in the right stores yet. But all I've noticed are the ones that are the size of large soda bottles. I'm thinking maybe I can buy some sort of dispenser and maybe even get the super-sized jugs delivered. Is this done here? Or do people just buy soda-sized bottles every day or what? Seems like we go through too much bottled water to be buying this size. Wondering what other people do.
Thanks again
Lauris


Loving Living in Lima
RyanI
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: Buying Water

Postby RyanI » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:46 am

Hi Lauris,
We bought a dispenser and the initial bottles of water (Cielo brand - something to do with San Luis I think).
The initial purchase is a little expensive becasue you buy the despensor and the actual bottles. Thereafter you only pay for the water. Each container is 20litres and the water cost is S/.13 delivered. their number is 383 2019 (RPM - *31697).
We go through a lot of water so we bought the initial 5 bottles (100L) and which lasts us about a month.
We phone when we are on the last bottle and the replacement bottles are delivered that day.
Caio
User avatar
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1420
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Buying Water

Postby fanning » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:10 pm

Two months ago we put a water filter on our tap, is works great, we didn't get sick or any problem. The water tastes good, without the chlorine taste.
The sell them in Sodimac, it fits right on your tap.
User avatar
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:34 pm
Location: Pueblo Libre

Re: Buying Water

Postby craig » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:39 pm

When I was a child we boiled the water and then put it through a ceramic filter. Everyone did. Does anyone do that anymore?

Craig
--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:21 am

Re: Buying Water

Postby FHCZ » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:07 am

You should be able to buy the 20 L bottles in any supermarket, not sure if the dispenser is also sold there. If not, the employees should be able help you where to buy it. I have also seen in the past 20 L cartons of water with a spout, so no need for an additional dispenser.

As to water filters, there are many types. The cheapest ones just get rid of the chlorine taste but do not filter out bacteria. The most sophisticated filters work on the reverse osmosis principle and practically filter out anything except water and (not that this is would render the healthiest of waters as some salts are needed by our body). At home we just boil water and let it cool

Fausto
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Buying Water

Postby americorps » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:00 pm

I use Agua San Luis.

They come to my apartment whenever I call and carry those bottles to my third floor flat without a complaint for about 15 Soles a bottle.

They sold me a dispenser for 25 Soles, though that was 3 years ago.

They seem to have no way for some reason that totally defies logic, to actually take deposits for the bottles, so I had to buy my first round of bottles at the grocery store and even that way, I had to go to 3 stores before I found one that would let me pay them a deposit for the bottles....oh business in Peru.

However, once I did that, I got 6 bottles, so every time I put in my last bottle in the dispenser, I call and have 5 delivered and give them 5 empties. Pay the big strong muscled delivery guy in cash when he arrives and a few soles extra because he is kind and because he has to carry them up stairs.

The only warning, it is hard to set-up service. I am not sure why, but every time someone tries, it is like the first time they have ever had a new client and not sure how to do it and you have to talk to the manager who will figure it out..... but once it is situated, it works fine.

0-800-14010 is their phone number. Toll free from any fijo.
Nano
Member
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:30 am

Re: Buying Water

Postby Nano » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:10 pm

Call Mr. Eddy Gonzales from PRG S.A. They deliver the Blue Water brand (I believe they have 10l and 20l bottles). Good and honest service (they even put the bottle on the dispenser, if you want them to). Always on time. Good prices.

Phone: 994266858 / 426*6858 (nextel)

Cheers
jaffed
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: Buying Water

Postby jaffed » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:03 pm

Another option to the big "bidons" is to buy a BOX of water. I buy Demesa 20L boxes at the supermarket. The new versions come with a really easy red spout that works better than the San Luis boxes. I tried to buy San Mateo bidons (I think San Mateo tastes the best of the bottled waters), but they have a specialized metal frame dispenser that's impossible to find.
User avatar
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 833
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:56 pm
Location: Lima
Contact:

Re: Buying Water

Postby Polaron » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:02 am

I get my water from San Luis, at the phone number Americops provided, a couple of times a month. I have three garrafones (Peruvians use the term bidón for one and bidones in plural. The people at the call center 800-14-010 told me you could not buy the bidones from them, but when the delivery guy came around, he gladly sold me the botellones or big bottles for a low price, which I cannot recall.

Be prepared for a little tardiness; often the water arrives a day after it is promised. Usually, the call center attendants promise me same-day delivery, and usually the water arrives the following day instead. The employees are very nice and the water is good quality.

I bought a despachador that dispenses hot and cold water for about $100 dollars in December at a muebleria on Avda La Marina, and it works great. It frees up space in the refrigerator for other things. Still, the guy who delivers water to me almost always has a dispenser or two with him.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
Xibalba

Re: Buying Water

Postby Xibalba » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:34 pm

FHCZ wrote:You should be able to buy the 20 L bottles in any supermarket, not sure if the dispenser is also sold there. If not, the employees should be able help you where to buy it. I have also seen in the past 20 L cartons of water with a spout, so no need for an additional dispenser.

As to water filters, there are many types. The cheapest ones just get rid of the chlorine taste but do not filter out bacteria. The most sophisticated filters work on the reverse osmosis principle and practically filter out anything except water and (not that this is would render the healthiest of waters as some salts are needed by our body). At home we just boil water and let it cool

Fausto


Can someone recommend a store and a brand of osmosis filter system? Boiling water does not remove the lead and other metals from the water, only the bacteria.

Also, can anyone recommend (as an alternative) a specific brand of tap filter that might filter the metals out of the water? I want to check prices online.

Thanks.
User avatar
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Pucallpa
Contact:

Re: Buying Water

Postby scott » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:52 pm

There is a good article about it here, with costs:

http://www.livinginperu.com/blogs/features/1538
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
User avatar
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Magdalena del Mar
Contact:

Re: Buying Water

Postby edgeclinger » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:03 am

It occurs to me that, after asking for information, I never posted with what I ended up doing. We were tired of carrying heavy containers of water home all the time. It was strange, but I never saw the big bidones of water in the supermarkets, which is where I had assumed one would buy them. Someone told me later that the bodegas stock (and deliver) them, but I had not seen them there either and it had not occurred to me to ask.
Then I started looking online - and found a company (Fresh Life) that offered delivery of the bidones as well as a dispenser and a skinny wooden stand to put it on, which was perfect for the small space I needed to put it in. Their web site is at http://www.freshlifeperu.com/productos.html. I bought the dispenser and the stand, each for 25 soles. The bidones of water cost 30 soles for the first one (includes the cost of the container apparently), then the second bottle is free, after which the charge is 10 soles each time they deliver. So far they have delivered when they said they would (the same day or the next morning if I contact them late in the day). The best part of the whole service, to me, is that I placed the original order as well as replacement orders, online.
Laurie
Loving Living in Lima
meggyrosey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 5:58 pm
Location: los alamos de monterrico, surco
Contact:

Re: Buying Water

Postby meggyrosey » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:48 pm

thanks for posting this info!!!!! :D
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:38 pm
Location: Tarapoto

Re: Buying Water

Postby euroman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:32 pm

We always drink water from the tap and all people I knew do it and never felt sick.

I think that bying those bidons is more a way to show your neigboors that you are rich and better than them.
It's a statussymbol.

It`s also known that the people who sell those bidons or containers just fill them up with normal tapwater. It's a make money easy scheme. They tell gringos that it`s dangerous to drink tapwater and the gringo who just arrived in Peru believes that of course and hands over his dollares and the seller walks away laughing because he made a lot of money selling an overpriced dispenser and...TAPWATER.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Buying Water

Postby americorps » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:10 pm

hmm, interesting idea, and I am sure to some extent it does happen, here and abroad, however, I have been to a bottling plant for my work and I have seen them filtering the water for San Luis. So clearly not always true.

I have also seen reports on the lead content and other things in the tap water and known enough people who have been sickened by it to maybe suggest your opinion is not quite a universal fact. I agree one can grow accustomed to the microbes in the water here, but the lead is another issues and not one I am interested in chancing.

In fact, 2010 the main Lima water treatment plants, for the first time, did register a lead content that did fall below the acceptable level, meaning the water contained what they consider safe levels of lead, for the first time. However, there are still many lead pipes in their system that have not been replaced, meaning from the plant to the house, depending in where you live, could still become contaminated and many houses test high in lead poisoning in the water.

I would be very uncomfortable suggesting the water to anyone, regardless of nationality or class.

Again, it is not for the microbes, because most water in the US, for example, has microbes that could make Peruvians ill until they build up an immunity, it is the lead that I worry about.
User avatar
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Magdalena del Mar
Contact:

Re: Buying Water

Postby edgeclinger » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:27 pm

You have GOT to be kidding me! :shock:

euroman wrote:I think that bying those bidons is more a way to show your neigboors that you are rich and better than them. It's a statussymbol.
Loving Living in Lima
User avatar
[email protected]
Member
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:27 am

Re: Buying Water

Postby [email protected] » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:20 am

I have to agree w/Everyone except "Shrek" here. Not that my opinion matters, but as a healthcare provider having seen so many people come back from South America with parasitic infections from water..I'd have to say, filtered water should ALWAYS be consumed.

Whether it be from the tap after the installation of a home filtration system or trusted bottled water. Of course boiling will eliminate parasites as well as bacteria, the filtration system will do both!

Better safe than sorry when it comes to that. Parasites can easily travel through the system, in to blood, even to the brain through the digestive tract. All tap water is reconstituted, treated waste water...filter, filter filter! Status symbol! so be it!
Vikki Montoya, MBA, PA-S
Organ/Tissue Donor Recovery Coordinator
USA - Palm Springs, CA
User avatar
[email protected]
Member
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:27 am

Re: Buying Water

Postby [email protected] » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:22 am

My apologies Shrek-it's Euroman with the bright idea of drinking unfiltered tap water. Therefore, it would be Euroman I disagree with here, sorry about that. :)
Vikki Montoya, MBA, PA-S
Organ/Tissue Donor Recovery Coordinator
USA - Palm Springs, CA
User avatar
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Sol De La Molina

Re: Buying Water

Postby adrian Thorne » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:55 am

Bio Agua in San Borja have a steady flow of tankers coming in to the treatment and bottling plant, carrying sping water from the north. They also provide water in 20l bottles with the tap built in and delivered to your door. In many high rise buildings the securty man organises for all the tenents with a small commission and holds a stock on the ground floor. I have no idea what the cost is but I am sure they are competitive.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1515
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: "Miraflores State of Mind"

Re: Buying Water

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:11 am

I ask my clients to bring me San Pellegrino which is widely available on both coasts. Incidently this is the only water that Leonardo da Vinci drank!
Xibalba

Re: Buying Water

Postby Xibalba » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:05 pm

euroman wrote:We always drink water from the tap and all people I knew do it and never felt sick.

I think that bying those bidons is more a way to show your neigboors that you are rich and better than them.
It's a statussymbol.

It`s also known that the people who sell those bidons or containers just fill them up with normal tapwater. It's a make money easy scheme. They tell gringos that it`s dangerous to drink tapwater and the gringo who just arrived in Peru believes that of course and hands over his dollares and the seller walks away laughing because he made a lot of money selling an overpriced dispenser and...TAPWATER.


All the "non-gringos" I know, who have been living in Lima for years, boil their water. They don't use ice cubes in restaurants and return any bottled water they buy that has been opened (and thus probably filled with tap water.)

This is coming from PERUVIANS not "gringos".

There is science behind this.
User avatar
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 813
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:19 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Buying Water

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:36 pm

euroman wrote:I think that bying those bidons is more a way to show your neigboors that you are rich and better than them.
It's a statussymbol.


I hang the empty ones outside my apartment so everyone knows I use bottled water. Just in case my neighbors forget I'm rich and white.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:11 pm
Location: MIRAFLORES
Contact:

Re: Buying Water

Postby american_in_lima » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:08 pm

Euroman - I buy bottled water as a status symbol. I also take a taxi for the same reason. In fact today. I went and bought a coffee to show that I have disposable income. Today my clothes were dirty, so what did I do? I sent my clothes to a rich guy who owns a washer and dryer and runs an illegal laundrymat. Man, did that make me feel powerful getting those clothes cleaned.

Everytime I read what you write, I am amazed at the level of ignorance. By the way, on my "900" soles, I live better than most billionaires..........with my bottled water show of power.
Regards,

George
User avatar
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Pucallpa
Contact:

Re: Buying Water

Postby scott » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:21 pm

euroman wrote:I think that bying those bidons is more a way to show your neigboors that you are rich and better than them.
It's a statussymbol.


:mrgreen: Just to remind our neighbors how well off we are... Sometimes I wash down the sidewalk in front of my house with it when it gets a bit dusty. Things are heavy, but it is worth watching the shocked look on their faces as I pour the water down the street. :mrgreen:
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
User avatar
JoshuS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:40 am

Re: Buying Water

Postby JoshuS » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:39 pm

euroman wrote:We always drink water from the tap and all people I knew do it and never felt sick.

I think that bying those bidons is more a way to show your neigboors that you are rich and better than them.
It's a statussymbol.

It`s also known that the people who sell those bidons or containers just fill them up with normal tapwater. It's a make money easy scheme. They tell gringos that it`s dangerous to drink tapwater and the gringo who just arrived in Peru believes that of course and hands over his dollares and the seller walks away laughing because he made a lot of money selling an overpriced dispenser and...TAPWATER.


Hey Euroman,
I don't know about the status symbol thing but sure you may have a good point about those
bottled water.
I somehow doubt those gallon bottled water in Lima should be any different.

Score for the bottle water companies: good "Manufacturing of Consent". I have to give them that. :lol:
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:38 pm
Location: Tarapoto

Re: Buying Water

Postby euroman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:18 pm

I know a guy who worked for one of those bottled water companies. He used to delivered those bidons to office buildings and the rich in San Isidro and Miraflores. He told me that they just refilled them with tapwater in a his boss his house in Villa El Salvador. And his boss even didn`t pay for water he made a loop around his water meter thus avoiding to pay for the water.


I prefer to drink the tapwater here in Tarapoto. It tasted good and fresh. I just have to put it in the fridge first because tapwater is always warm here. The tapwater in Tarapoto comes from the waterfalls close to my home. It can`t be fresher.

The outside temperature in Tarapoto is always between 26 and 39 degrees celcius and almost never rains.
It`s paradise here. Waving palmtrees, beautiful valleys, friendly and honest people. (I don`t lock my front door when I am out of the house, I sleep with the windows open) Excellent food, 24hr executive wining and dining no obligatory closing times for businesses, free music concerts every day of the week. I take every morning a dive in the swimming pool or I go boating at the laguna. And in the evening I put delicious steaks on my barbeque.

It`s executive lifestyle at it`s best here. I life like a king and feel like a billionaire.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Buying Water

Postby americorps » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:40 pm

Well, yourview is not a universal truth, as I said, I have seen the bottling plant myself.

Further, your hatred of the upper class is a form of bigotry, and be it rich against poor, black against white, white against black, poor against rich, Jewish against Islamic, Islamic against Jewish, Chilean against Peruvian, Peruvian against Chilean, Gay against straight, straight against Gay ...anyway you look at it, it casts doubt on you personally. If you look down on people simply because they are from a different category than you prefer, you are most likely to believe and repeat the worst about them, with little regard for the factual evidence.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:38 pm
Location: Tarapoto

Re: Buying Water

Postby euroman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:08 pm

americorps wrote:Well, yourview is not a universal truth, as I said, I have seen the bottling plant myself.

I am sure not all bottling plants are selling tapwater. But it`s worth to do like you do...have a look at the bottling plant

Further, your hatred of the upper class is a form of bigotry, and be it rich against poor, black against white, white against black, poor against rich, Jewish against Islamic, Islamic against Jewish, Chilean against Peruvian, Peruvian against Chilean, Gay against straight, straight against Gay ...anyway you look at it, it casts doubt on you personally. If you look down on people simply because they are from a different category than you prefer, you are most likely to believe and repeat the worst about them, with little regard for the factual evidence.


I am not against upper class because I live (probably even beter) like upper class. I always appreciate the high tax paying upper class because when I am out of work, they pay my welfare money.
I am also not against other religions and people`s colour or sexual preference doesn´t interest me.
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: Buying Water

Postby Kelly » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:13 pm

And all that has nothing to do with buying water. Let's keep it on topic, please.
User avatar
Naylor
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:40 pm
Location: Atlantic City, New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Buying Water

Postby Naylor » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:46 pm

euroman wrote:We always drink water from the tap and all people I knew do it and never felt sick.

I think that bying those bidons is more a way to show your neigboors that you are rich and better than them.
It's a statussymbol.


People who drink bottled water are trying to seem rich? The only water i drink from tap comes from drinking fountains in large businesses(Casinos, Schools). I'm definately not even close to being, or trying to look or act rich. It's a preference.

SO... people who eat vegetables and fruits are trying to seem more rich and better off than others because they are healthier than people who live on fast food. Is that a "statussymbol"?
-Chris Naylor-
mark7402
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:18 pm

Re: Buying Water

Postby mark7402 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:09 pm

All Peruvians I have come across boil their water including the family I live with and we use this to drink,
When I first came to Peru I would only drink bottled water but as Vegetables and other foods were washed in normal water I used to find I would occasionally get stomach aches which is understandable as your body needs to adapt.
I now drink boiled water at lunchtime with our food and keep a bottle of San Luis in the fridge so I have a nice cold drink when needed.
Whatever your preference is I don't think it matters too much but you do NOT drink straight from the tap. If Peruvians wont do this then why on earth would you.
It takes a couple of minutes to boil water and Peruvians have lived like this for many years so they should know best.
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Miraflores

Re: Buying Water

Postby markr » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:58 pm

Naylor wrote:
euroman wrote:We always drink water from the tap and all people I knew do it and never felt sick.

I think that bying those bidons is more a way to show your neigboors that you are rich and better than them.
It's a statussymbol.


People who drink bottled water are trying to seem rich? The only water i drink from tap comes from drinking fountains in large businesses(Casinos, Schools). I'm definately not even close to being, or trying to look or act rich. It's a preference.

SO... people who eat vegetables and fruits are trying to seem more rich and better off than others because they are healthier than people who live on fast food. Is that a "statussymbol"?



"The only water i drink from tap comes from drinking fountains in large businesses(Casinos, Schools)."

Cue euroman, with a comment like........
So you frequent schools and casinos do you. Quite obviously you're trying to stand out from the crowd by portraying the image of a wealthy educated person :twisted:
Xibalba

Re: Buying Water

Postby Xibalba » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:18 pm

I am researching a reverse osmosis system, but convincing my host family that they won't have to boil the water if they use it is a challenge. I suspect that even if we install one, they will still boil it because that's they way they've done it for generations. I guess it can't hurt!

I am really trying not to replicate my lifestyle from the US, but I am concerned about metals in the water, so that's one area I may impose some more modern technology in my less-than-modern household.

Still struggling to get used to the freezing cold showers, but at least I am wide awake in the morning after one!
Choripán
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:17 am

Re: Buying Water

Postby Choripán » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:05 pm

Wikipedia has a pretty good article, with hard data, about drinking water in Peru.

I got viciously sick the day after I arrived last week. Was it the inadvertant mouthful of water I took while brushing my teeth? The three plates of ceviche, the huge causa rellena, the supermarket tamale, the delicious but ass-searing aji casero, or the full pollo a la brasa (with fries) I ate for lunch and dinner that day? Or was it instead something evil I brought with me from Buenos Aires, which boasts clean tap water, but still generated its fair share of gastrointestinal disturbances?

Who knows. I don't regret anything so far, especially eating all that Peruvian food. So I'm going to try a semi-scientific study of the tap water. I will start with one glass a day, unboiled, and increase the amount the way blackjack players gamble in Vegas. When you're on a winning streak, double the wager. When you lose a hand, retreat to your starting bet and hope for the best next time around.

When I have measurable results, I will report them here.
User avatar
anuta
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:14 pm

Re: Buying Water

Postby anuta » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:50 pm

Choripán wrote:Wikipedia has a pretty good article, with hard data, about drinking water in Peru.

I got viciously sick the day after I arrived last week. Was it the inadvertant mouthful of water I took while brushing my teeth? The three plates of ceviche, the huge causa rellena, the supermarket tamale, the delicious but ass-searing aji casero, or the full pollo a la brasa (with fries) I ate for lunch and dinner that day? Or was it instead something evil I brought with me from Buenos Aires, which boasts clean tap water, but still generated its fair share of gastrointestinal disturbances?

Who knows. I don't regret anything so far, especially eating all that Peruvian food. So I'm going to try a semi-scientific study of the tap water. I will start with one glass a day, unboiled, and increase the amount the way blackjack players gamble in Vegas. When you're on a winning streak, double the wager. When you lose a hand, retreat to your starting bet and hope for the best next time around.

When I have measurable results, I will report them here.


Somehow it doesn't seem like a good idea to me, especially if you have a tendency of getting sick ( I don't, but I still wouldn't do it). Brushing teeth, ok, but drinking glasses of unboiled water ? Probably, in Lima, the water is not that bad (depends where you live), but I wouldn't try it in smaller towns (depending on where of course).
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
A. Einstein
User avatar
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:28 pm
Location: as of 4/4/11 LaMolina

Re: Buying Water

Postby bmike1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:02 pm

When I was in Lima I drank tap water but experienced no problems..... except for the couple of days I was out of cominssion with what I thought was the flu. My brother in law came to the bedroom door once and looked at me and says, 'Enferma!' I remember thinking to myself, 'I guess that means 'sick'.'
:-)~mike~(-:
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:19 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Buying Water

Postby musiclover » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:37 pm

Interesting topic and awesome discussion....if I lived in Tarapoto and NOT in Lima, I might be tempted to drink the water there! But even still, for parasites, amoebas, and who knows what else one could get, generally, not a really good idea. Even the local "poor" Peruvians, as the same person put it, who cannot afford to buy all the water they drink (at least the ones I work with) don't drink tap water that has not been boiled for a good ten minutes and often filtered through a ceramic container! I am not "rich" and wouldn't buy water to try and make it appear as though I were, what a strange suggestion, eh?? I buy water here and in Canada for that matter, because I don't trust the water source and am too young to die from a poor choice of drinking water! Plus, I've been sick enough in my time in Lima from other things.....bismutal, try it, it works....OH, that and Fruitti Flex....LOL!!
User avatar
jvimage
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Buying Water

Postby jvimage » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:55 pm

edgeclinger wrote:Do they sell the giant containers of water here - the ones that normally you put into some sort of dispenser? I'm thinking that maybe I just haven't noticed them, or haven't been in the right stores yet. But all I've noticed are the ones that are the size of large soda bottles. I'm thinking maybe I can buy some sort of dispenser and maybe even get the super-sized jugs delivered. Is this done here? Or do people just buy soda-sized bottles every day or what? Seems like we go through too much bottled water to be buying this size. Wondering what other people do.
Thanks again
Lauris


Lima water quality is among the worst in Latin America. Lots of heavy metals coming down the Rio Rimac from mining in the Andes before the water is treaded - superchlorinating - for "organics only" at SEDAPAL.

If you are just boiling and drinking the tap water you are ingesting lots of nasty carcinogens.

At home we have a reverse osmosis water filter for cooking, and carbon filters for bathrooms and showers.
For drinking water we get "Los Puquiales del Paraiso", the owner, Lucho Llona, is a stand-up guy, the water is safe and tastes as it should, like nothing at all.

Give him a call, 999-302-035 (cel), 279-1333 (land). We pay 15 soles for a 5 gal bottle. He'll provide de dispenser at no cost when you get water from him. No contracts, no hassle.
be as you are
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Buying Water

Postby teamoperu » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:28 am

Yeah, and ever notice how much stuff / sediment remains at the bottom after you boil the water... whats that all about? and I guess you are drinlking that stuff if you don't boil the water?
User avatar
jvimage
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Buying Water

Postby jvimage » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:01 pm

teamoperu wrote:Yeah, and ever notice how much stuff / sediment remains at the bottom after you boil the water... whats that all about? and I guess you are drinlking that stuff if you don't boil the water?


Most of the sediment you see is calcium and/or magnesium. However the nasty stuff is; lead, mercury, cyanide, arsenic and cadmium. All toxic metals you cannot see/smell in trace amounts.

Boiling water for 10 minutes will take care of most bacteria. However, not metals which your cannot metabolize and just accumulate until you get sick.

See this FRONTLINE PBS report on gold mining in Peru.

http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stori ... ental.html
be as you are
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: Buying Water

Postby Kelly » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:39 pm

I wanted to follow up on this post - We took the advice here in the thread (after checking prices in local stores etc) and went with Fresh Life. Got the first bidon, dispenser and wooden stand for 80 soles. As mentioned earlier, the 2nd bottle is free, then 10 soles each after that. The boxes and bidones that I saw in the stores were usually around 12 soles or more, so it seems a really good deal to me.

Service was excellent, my husband called yesterday afternoon and the water was here at 9am today.
hoyce
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:38 am

Re: Buying Water

Postby hoyce » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:57 am

i believe people would be able to taste the difference between tap and bottled. after months in lima i got lazy and stopped buying bottled and started boiling. then i got lazier and stopped boiling. it took a week or two to not get sick, but, yes i could taste the difference without a doubt. it is a metal'ish taste.
el conquistador

Re: Buying Water

Postby el conquistador » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:32 pm

Many people say that they don't drink unboiled water but they often drink more unboiled tapwater than they think.

If you go to restaurants or refrigerios then the refrescos and juices you drink are all prepared with unboiled tapwater.
User avatar
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:38 am
Location: Miraflores
Contact:

Re: Buying Water

Postby Jalapenomel » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:23 am

edgeclinger wrote:Then I started looking online - and found a company (Fresh Life) that offered delivery of the bidones as well as a dispenser and a skinny wooden stand to put it on, which was perfect for the small space I needed to put it in. Their web site is at http://www.freshlifeperu.com/productos.html. I bought the dispenser and the stand, each for 25 soles. The bidones of water cost 30 soles for the first one (includes the cost of the container apparently), then the second bottle is free, after which the charge is 10 soles each time they deliver. So far they have delivered when they said they would (the same day or the next morning if I contact them late in the day). The best part of the whole service, to me, is that I placed the original order as well as replacement orders, online.
Laurie
I cannot figure out how to order online! Help!
Mgimenez
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:38 pm

Re: Buying Water

Postby Mgimenez » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:10 pm

I recently move to Lima.. I came from Venezuela so I have a very strong stomach :)
I used to order San Luis or San Mateo bidon but after two months and drinking between 3 or 4 lt per day is becoming too expensive

Reading your post.. Does anyone knows ROTOPLAST Purifier? I saw it at PROMART
http://www.rotoplas.com/productos/filtr ... bre-tarja/

Thanks!
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Buying Water

Postby teamoperu » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:40 am

Naylor wrote:
euroman wrote:We always drink water from the tap and all people I knew do it and never felt sick.

I think that bying those bidons is more a way to show your neigboors that you are rich and better than them.
It's a statussymbol.


People who drink bottled water are trying to seem rich? The only water i drink from tap comes from drinking fountains in large businesses(Casinos, Schools). I'm definately not even close to being, or trying to look or act rich. It's a preference.

SO... people who eat vegetables and fruits are trying to seem more rich and better off than others because they are healthier than people who live on fast food. Is that a "statussymbol"?


But remember that "statussymbol" comment above is from someone who says it almost never rains in Tarapotato. LOL

chi chi "The outside temperature in Tarapoto is always between 26 and 39 degrees celcius and almost never rains."

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register