Buying Kindle via Mail

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Buying Kindle via Mail

Postby MartitaAQP » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:17 pm

Has anybody bought a Kindle 3 via direct mail from amazon? I have bought books from amazon and they arrive with no problems/duties. However, I am debating what will happen in aduanas when the kindle arrives in the country. We are not in one of the amazon countries were they pre-calculate customs for you. I have a Kindle 2 that freaked out on me this week and died a sad death so now I am desperate to replace it asap since it is a vital part of life and research for me. I don't think I can wait until December when I'll be in the states and could bring it back with me for free as it is exempt under sunat rules for an arriving passenger. Wondering if I would be the first person in the whole country to attempt this and even though it is only worth $190 who knows what sunat will do to me...

Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Buying Kindle via Mail

Postby Polaron » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:55 pm

Hi Maritia

I'm sorry I cannot answer your question on this, but when I read your post, I realized it was an opportunity for me to ask a question of my own about the Kindle.

You obviously believe it is worthwhile. Are you able to read other e-books (non-Amazon.com e-books) on it?

One alternative to receiving it via mail here is to open an account at Skybox.com or another remailing service. They deal with customs, so they may be able to tell you about any duty fees on the Kindle.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:52 pm

Yes, I believe a kindle is TOTALLY worth it, even before they dropped the price so low it's really affordable. Since it can be difficult to find books here in Peru and they are generally expensive when found, that only augments the value of the kindle in my opinion. I can get a book published anywhere in the world in seconds. You can read non-amazon books if they are in pdf form and the latest kindle software make working with personal documents much easier. It takes an extra step to get free google books onto you kindle, for example, but perfectly doable. It's not practicle to buy from another site like B&N but I don't know why you would want to with amazon's prices being so low. I love that i can read anything I have on my kindle on my laptop and on my iphone with the free apps. I'll let you know how it goes with customs because I am braving it with a direct send. I could have had family re-send it but I'm afraid it would be harder in the end. They are sending via dhl...we'll see...
jchambilla

Postby jchambilla » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:58 am

Dear MartitaAQP,

Just to let you know that books don't pay taxes here in Peru, but sadly all the technology has to pay taxes, how much? that depends of the agent in customs, maybe 30% of the total cost of your Kinddle.
I will suggest that a friend who's coming to Peru can bring your kinddle without a problem and avoiding the taxes. That will work only if this friend don't bring another kinddle with him/her, otherwise will have to pay taxes.
If you need more details about what is the process to pick up the package from customs, just let me know

Abrazos

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register