Meeting other expats in person

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Saramira222
Gold Member
Gold Member

Meeting other expats in person

Postby Saramira222 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:10 am

Hello, expats:

As helpful as I find this website, and as fortunate as I am to be part Peruvian and thus have family here, I feel a real need to find other people who are expats in Lima and who would like to meet and talk in English about the good, the bad, and the hilarious. I realize that many people have very busy schedules but I am wondering if there are some others out there who would like to get together in an informal setting (i.e., a cafe) or whatever just to have some conversation. We all have our different reasons for being here, but we do have in common the expat experience. I have not seen any groups that are not specific to certain types of people or sports, if they exist, someone please enlighten me. My upbringing and sensibilities are very American and often come off as strange in this culture. It is a little tiring to mind my manners and behavior all the time. Anyone else interested in finding some new acquaintances?

Kelly

Re: Meeting other expats in person

Postby Kelly » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:28 pm

There seem to be a few people in the forum feeling a bit lonely - I imagine the holidays passing has a lot to do with that. It seems like a good time for me to offer up my house for another Expat book swap.

I'll do that at the end of this month - I'll open my house up from noon until 3pm for every one to come and hang out and chit chat, drink coffee or ice tea trade books and DVDs. I'll go ahead and open up a thread for it.
Cruton
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Cruton » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:55 pm

I would love to hang out too. Lima would be a lot more fun with more groups of friends. Thanks!
Saramira222
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Saramira222 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:22 pm

Thanks, Kelly and Cruton. Hopefully some others will express interest and we can actually get together in person. Since I rent a room from a family, I am not able to use the house for socializing. Looking forward to Kelly's book swap and other replies.

Take care.
paddingtoncita

Postby paddingtoncita » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:19 pm

I'd love to meet up also! That's really kind of Kelly for offering your house for the bookswap :D
I'm just preparing to come back to live in Lima again and would love to meet up for coffee and chatting and making friends! Eventually I'll be able to offer my place for meeting but it's not ready yet... count me in as a future host(ess) though :D

Jane
Globetrotter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Globetrotter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:24 pm

I think you have a great Idea, I also would like to get to meet other English speaking expats here in Lima, I would gladly meet up to have a coffee and compare notes about life here. Please PM me and lets get together.

Thanks
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:07 pm

Think about joining the ACAP (www.acap-peru.org). I found a ton of friends from going to their meetings.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:28 pm

Everyone is welcome to come to the book swap - I've scheduled it for Feb 5th, and if you don't have any books or DVDs to swap that's ok - feel free to come and hang out! Check out the thread for it, or send me a PM if you'd like directions.
Saramira222
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Saramira222 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:59 am

To those of you who responded, would anyone like to make a plan for us to meet somewhere next week? I am fortunate to have an open schedule at this time, I am sure some of you are working. Suggest a day and time, and we could firm it up on the forum.

Thanks!
Lui

Postby Lui » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:03 pm

I also think its a really good idea. Im going to be a little busy with work the next two weeks, but depending on my schedule I can definitely try to go if you guys are already meeting somewhere.

Also the superbowl is coming up fast, and altough there have been a some upsets, watching the superbowl is tradition for some. Whats everyone got planned.
Comet

Postby Comet » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:12 am

[quote="Saramira222"]To those of you who responded, would anyone like to make a plan for us to meet somewhere next week? I am fortunate to have an open schedule at this time, I am sure some of you are working. Suggest a day and time, and we could firm it up on the forum.

Thanks![/quoPlease see the posting under "Group for new arrivals etc"
Saramira222
Gold Member
Gold Member

MEETING OTHER EXPATS IN PERSON

Postby Saramira222 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:49 am

Hey, I'm trying again to get a group together to talk and share our experiences in English. Anyone available in afternoon or early evening this coming week or if busy working, etc. on Saturday? I see there are a few people out there who want to get together, so I will wait for a few responses to see about setting up day, time, place hopefully before Kelly's book swap!
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: MEETING OTHER EXPATS IN PERSON

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:52 pm

Saramira222 wrote:Hey, I'm trying again to get a group together to talk and share our experiences in English. Anyone available in afternoon or early evening this coming week or if busy working, etc. on Saturday? I see there are a few people out there who want to get together, so I will wait for a few responses to see about setting up day, time, place hopefully before Kelly's book swap!

Hi Saramira I think we need to take the bull by the horns. We are at a party on Saturday so I will be at COMO AGUA PARA CHOCOLATE Panch Fierro 108 San Isidro from 7,00pm Friday 28th January. A stones throw from Mirafloris, not set time untill I have to go home after a few. I am sure Comet can make it and a few more. There is lots of room on the second floor with a bar and food if wanted. Alejandra y Onno van Sprang are great hosts and I am sure we will all talk in English.

Best
Ade
uwwgal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby uwwgal » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:36 pm

Sara, there is a group of expat women called Women With Wine. It meets one Friday a month. The next one is tomorrow night, if you're interested!
Katie
paddingtoncita

Postby paddingtoncita » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:04 pm

Sara, I might not be able to make it tomorrow as it's a family birthday I'd forgotten about! If I can disengage myself I'll be there - hopefully there'll be another opportunity to meet up soon anyway :D
Oliver S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Oliver S » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:29 am

And there is also a meetup-group, that also has a meeting on Friday and on Saturday.
http://www.meetup.com/limasocialclub/.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:49 am

And don't forget "The Cliff Dwellers" also will be having their first meeting tonight (6:30 pm) at my place! It is BYOB and will feature BBQ Shrimp/Chicken/Baby Beef my famous Potato Salad, corn on the cob and Peach custard pie from Cafe Z! You must arrive 6:30 sharp so we can toast the Peruvian sunset from the Penthouse Terrace!
Attachments
031 (2) (Custom).JPG
031 (2) (Custom).JPG (48.08 KiB) Viewed 3719 times
Last edited by Alpineprince on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:28 pm

I know,I know, before anyone mentions the ban on shrimp, these are the Gulf Coast ones the US embassy sells in the commissary!
iron butterfly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iron butterfly » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:50 pm

What a busy weekend. Sorry to say I can not make any of the events.
I want to be sure I get in to see Haleys Comet, so I am camping out at the front door of the Dufes Bar in Miraflores. (Can not believe I am the first in the line).
I have copies to the chorus of Breaking the law by Judas Priest for any that may still need to learn it. I can not wait for someone to show up in line with me so we can all practice together.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:41 pm

iron butterfly wrote:What a busy weekend. Sorry to say I can not make any of the events.
I want to be sure I get in to see Haleys Comet, so I am camping out at the front door of the Dufes Bar in Miraflores. (Can not believe I am the first in the line).
I have copies to the chorus of Breaking the law by Judas Priest for any that may still need to learn it. I can not wait for someone to show up in line with me so we can all practice together.

je je je, somebody said "Dufes"! dufes
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:45 pm

iron butterfly wrote:I have copies to the chorus of Breaking the law by Judas Priest for any that may still need to learn it. I can not wait for someone to show up in line with me so we can all practice together.

Could be me, but according to me the chorus of Breaking the law is repeating that same phrase 4x :)
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Alpineprince wrote:I know,I know, before anyone mentions the ban on shrimp, these are the Gulf Coast ones the US embassy sells in the commissary!

Nothing better than shrimp that have been marinating in petroleum for months. :mrgreen:
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:09 pm

Kelly wrote:
Alpineprince wrote:I know,I know, before anyone mentions the ban on shrimp, these are the Gulf Coast ones the US embassy sells in the commissary!

Nothing better than shrimp that have been marinating in petroleum for months. :mrgreen:

So that is what they mean when they say "packaged in OIL"? I am not a fish eater but my wife buys that Tuna in oil and I thought it was the same thing!
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:21 pm

Remigius wrote:
iron butterfly wrote:I have copies to the chorus of Breaking the law by Judas Priest for any that may still need to learn it. I can not wait for someone to show up in line with me so we can all practice together.

Could be me, but according to me the chorus of Breaking the law is repeating that same phrase 4x :)

It is you!
While in the first two choruses the phrase " Breaking the law,breaking the law" is repeated 4x, you are really singing it 8 times in row.

On the third chorus you are actually repeating the phrase twice which means you actually sing it 16 times! :roll:

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register