Opening a Bank Account in Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Opening a Bank Account

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:58 pm

Polaron wrote:
adrian Thorne wrote:I find it all rather pointless and an unneccesary expence, moving money at a price from one country to another to withdraw at ATM's etc.
I do have a dollar savings account opened at HSBC with passport and the receipt from my CE application, but rarely use it. All cash withdraws are from my UK bank direct and coupled with a very small fixed monthly fee I do not pay any charges at what ever bank I use to withdraw.

Adrian, if you withdraw cash from your UK account at local ATMs, are you charged the dreaded foreign transaction fee so loved by Visa and MasterCard? It does not show up as a separate fee; it is simply added to your withdrawal amount. For example, if you withdraw 700 soles at an exchange rate of S/. 2.75, you will actually be charged an exchange rate of S/ 2.75 less one, two or three percent, depending upon your bank. That means when you check the amount showing up as a withdrawal on your bank statement and calculate the exchange rate, it will end up being something along the lines of S/. 2,669902912621359 if your bank tacks on 2% to the 1% that MasterCard or Visa charge. If you are fortunate, neither your bank nor the local bank charges an additional fee simply for using the ATM.

I say this because the foreign transaction fee is invisible and is quietly tacked on without any advance notice given to customers, except in a sub-paragraph of a long prospectus that 99% of the people do not read anyway.

Last year, I switched banks. I had been using a different U.S. bank that tacked on 2% to the MasterCard/Visa transaction fee, as well as charging me $1.50 U.S. for each ATM transaction. I felt relieved in Lima, because the local ATM did not charge me a fee, while in Santiago de Chile, I paid the dollar fifty, 3% and then $2,000 pesos CLP (four dollars) to the local machine per pop. Ouch. When I separated out and tallied up my banking fees, I was shelling out $55 in fees and 3% of my withdrawals and transactions every month - well over $100 dlls every month.

Now my fees are a lot lower as my current bank (USAA) does not tack on a commission to the 1% charged by MC/Visa. Still, I think the foreign transaction fees, regardless of amount, are abusive.

I pay a fixed sum of £9 stirling per month, which gives me free ATM withdraws world wide, using my debit card. This also gives me protection for lost, stolen and damaged cards, travel and cellular insurance. I always check the amounts and exchange rates on my statement and confirm no charges or excessive interest rates have ever been applied, other than one occasion in 2008, when I made a withdraw from BIF. I pointed this out and my bank immediately refunded the charges. I have had this arrangement now for many years due to work related travel.

I have updated my accounts at HSBC, without any mention of closures and Banco Continental in La Molina. They both confirmed the requirements of CE or DNI. This may not apply to Interbank.

teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:43 am

Last week I tried to add a USD account, already have a soles ahorra account, and Interbank said no, not possible without DNI or CE.

A friend has offered to open an acount for me with their DNI, then pass all the info to me so I have the tarjeta and can change all the passwords... seems reasonaly secure way to work this... any thoughts?
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:33 am

teamoperu wrote:Last week I tried to add a USD account, already have a soles ahorra account, and Interbank said no, not possible without DNI or CE.

A friend has offered to open an acount for me with their DNI, then pass all the info to me so I have the tarjeta and can change all the passwords... seems reasonaly secure way to work this... any thoughts?

Don't know how well you trust your friend, but he only needs to report the card missing, and for S/. 7 and showing his DNI he will get a new card and a new PIN, having full access to 'his' account..
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:08 am

Foreign transaction fees have to do with the network that these transactions run on. MasterCard, Visa, Discover, AmEx, etc make money every time you use your card, be they debit or credit purchases. There's a fee associated with the acquiring back (where you use your card) and the issuing bank (your card). Foreign transactions have an added level of complexity (access, exchange rates, security, etc, etc, etc), which explains why foreign transaction fees may be what they are.

But for more information, read up on interchange fees... It will better explain the logic behind the rates and fees.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:50 pm

Yes, we know how hard it is for the poor, poor banks to eke out a profit. That is why they received a huge bailout and are now being made to suffer by those dastardly regulators that for some unknown reason seem to think that consumers are just as important as bankers. Imagine the gall!
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:50 pm

Polaron wrote:Yes, we know how hard it is for the poor, poor banks to eke out a profit. That is why they received a huge bailout and are now being made to suffer by those dastardly regulators that for some unknown reason seem to think that consumers are just as important as bankers. Imagine the gall!

Yeah, the gall of charging you for a service that you use... How dare they!

Why don't you keep your money in your mattress? No foreign transaction fees nor service charges there 8)
skareem

Postby skareem » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:31 pm

teamoperu wrote:Last week I tried to add a USD account, already have a soles ahorra account, and Interbank said no, not possible without DNI or CE.

When the issue is money, friendship will take a back seat!
Anything NOT under your control, is NOT under your control. Ops... I guess I said that twice :)

S.
DEANFEB

Postby DEANFEB » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:00 pm

Teamoperu, try the Interbank (the huge interbank building) att Carlos Villaran, I had no problem there June 1, with Passport and Driver licence (canadian) . Advise us here pls..
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:40 am

Yes, I was at that building in late May and they agreed to add an account... and would have but for some silliness... when I again went to Interbank branch in June 16 they called HQ and then said no longer possible, the rules changed. Maybe you got in just before they distributed the memo. But your account, or even if I went there and was successful, why?, they are just to close it?

(For humour, the silliness was that I opened the account with my passport, but my passport was stolen and I received a new one, with a new number. They insisted they needed to see the old (stolen) passport to be able to access the account for changes, the new passport was insufficient proof, even though same name, same DOB, similar photo etc. Producing the denuncia, and suggesting if I could find the thief I'd ask him to come with me :D , got me no where.)
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:56 am

dmgyxpu
Last edited by MarcoPE on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:34 pm

teamoperu wrote:(For humour, the silliness was that I opened the account with my passport, but my passport was stolen and I received a new one, with a new number. They insisted they needed to see the old (stolen) passport to be able to access the account for changes, the new passport was insufficient proof, even though same name, same DOB, similar photo etc. Producing the denuncia, and suggesting if I could find the thief I'd ask him to come with me :D , got me no where.)

I had the same problem, trying to use my CE instead of my passport to withdraw cash - didn't matter that the passport# is on the CE, and that I had a photocopy of the CE and the denuncia.

I later changed my account ID over to my CE, so that the CE would be accepted. Nevertheless, today my husband had a couple questions about the account, and according to Interbank, I no longer have an account there - our shared account. According to them, I'm shut off of the account. I have a feeling it's because the account was opened with a passport, and that something went screwy with registering my CE there.
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:29 am

This is fascinating. We haven't received any notice from Interbank yet.
I'm wondering if they are really going to close our account, what are they going to do with the money that is in it!
I'm also wondering how a person would go about transferring a big chunk of cash to buy an apartment for example without having a local account.
Like I said, interesting.
Lauris
Loving Living in Lima
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:28 pm

A friend had an interesting comment... wait until after Jul 28 and see what Humalla does... new president, new policies
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:57 am

Yeah, me either. I also have 5 or 6 friends with accounts in various Peruvian banks opened with passports and licenses and not one has received any letters talking about closures. I also spoke with Interbank and they said my account will not be closed.

So short answer is no, Peruvian banks aren't going to close your accounts, steal your money, and pretend they never knew you.

The only "confirmed" report we have of any of this was from the same guy that posts all kinds of nonsense in the past, you do the math.
tamas

Postby tamas » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Just to confirm. As a newcomer I headed to open an account at Interbank Plaza San Miguel. I was there anyway so I went in to ask if it's possible with a passport. The answer was no, only with DNI or Carnet de Extranjeria AND another photo ID.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:50 pm

tamas wrote:Just to confirm. As a newcomer I headed to open an account at Interbank Plaza San Miguel. I was there anyway so I went in to ask if it's possible with a passport. The answer was no, only with DNI or Carnet de Extranjeria AND another photo ID.

It's right, rules are changed.

Till last year you could open an account with your passport at Interbank. I opened it last year.
I talked to the gerente last month and he told me that I can keep my account with them because I opened it before the rule was changed.
So, if you already have an account with Interbank then nothing changes for you but you can not open other accounts.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:04 pm

sunflower wrote:No CE or DNI, No Account and not even a stupid prepaid telephone. Can anyone explain to me why?

You can still buy prepaid phones without any document at all.
I bought this year two cellphones and I didn't get asked for any document at all. And I bought them at the Claro Shops.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:47 pm

Yeah, our new roommate just bought a new prepaid chip for his phone with no problem.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:35 am

Kelly, your friend got lucky. I am sure it is not too difficult to buy one with a passport, but the new law makes it clear that they are NOT supposed to sell one, not even pre-paid without a carnet.

It is an anti drug trafficking law...the same one that shut down bank accounts on passports.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:42 am

Anyone know which law it is? Ley No. ??? or Decreto No. ???? I couldn't find it anywhere.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:35 pm

americorps wrote:Kelly, your friend got lucky. I am sure it is not too difficult to buy one with a passport, but the new law makes it clear that they are NOT supposed to sell one, not even pre-paid without a carnet.

It is an anti drug trafficking law...the same one that shut down bank accounts on passports.

What dus the anti drug trafficking law to do with opening a bank account with a passport or buying a chip for your cellphone.
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:52 am

americorps wrote:Kelly, your friend got lucky. I am sure it is not too difficult to buy one with a passport, but the new law makes it clear that they are NOT supposed to sell one, not even pre-paid without a carnet.

Both my husband and I got pre-paid SIM cards and internet service with Claro with our passport and lease.
ehat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ehat » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:22 pm

I just got a second phone at the kiosk at wong using just my passport
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:37 pm

Banks are not going to shut down bank accounts that were opened with passports. They just won't open new accounts with passports.
Shutting down bank accounts is losing customers and losing customers is losing money for the banks. Banks hate losing money. And people who opened a bank account with their passports are important customers because they will be loyal because they can't switch to other banks anymore.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:27 pm

el conquistador wrote:

Banks are not going to shut down bank accounts that were opened with passports. They just won't open new accounts with passports.
Shutting down bank accounts is losing customers and losing customers is losing money for the banks. Banks hate losing money. And people who opened a bank account with their passports are important customers because they will be loyal because they can't switch to other banks anymore.

That is actually not true. I know 2 people who received notices from their banks that they have 90 days to present a carnet or their accounts will be closed. The same law was passed in the US a couple of years ago for accounts without a social security number for the same reason..international money laundry guidelines..mostly for drug smugglers.

The same reason they are trying to eliminate the cell phone purchases, to have fewer untraceable cell phones.
leoo24

Postby leoo24 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:20 am

ok so now i'm worried about this account closing problem.

I have an acount in hsbc opened with my passport in april, not had any letters.

I won't be moving to peru until next year but have a property in ica which is sold and being completed next week!

Can i add my wife's dni to the account?

I don't have a fixed address in peru as both my wife and i currently live in spain, her parents and brothers are there though!

thanks

Leo
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:41 am

I wouldn't worry about it until you hear from them.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:48 pm

americorps wrote:The same reason they are trying to eliminate the cell phone purchases, to have fewer untraceable cell phones.

Probably more people will get their phone stolen by criminals.

Still, it will be easy to buy a phone. Just ask a Peruvian friend to buy one for you.
hoyce
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby hoyce » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:28 pm

teamoperu wrote:
Kelly wrote:I'm so glad I registered my CE with Interbank a few months ago.

While I understand this is mostly a anti-drug trafficking measure, between this and the home visits to foreigners it sounds like the country is starting to make life a little difficult for "tourists" that never leave.

and for visitors that do leave, who are getting caught in the cross fire

wait a minute! what "home visits to foreigners"?
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:15 pm

hoyce wrote:
teamoperu wrote:
Kelly wrote:I'm so glad I registered my CE with Interbank a few months ago.

While I understand this is mostly a anti-drug trafficking measure, between this and the home visits to foreigners it sounds like the country is starting to make life a little difficult for "tourists" that never leave.

and for visitors that do leave, who are getting caught in the cross fire

wait a minute! what "home visits to foreigners"?

There are no home visits to foreigners unless the are suspected of being involved in a crime. Just like Peruvians. Besides, how do they know where foreigners live and who's a foreigners and who's doing what? Are they going to walk into all hostels and go hassling backpackers?
PaulSal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PaulSal » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:38 pm

markr wrote:
euroman wrote:Get a Peruvian driving licence. It`s easy and costs 65 soles.
You just have to attend 2 days the charlas. Sit a very easy written exam at the end followed by a 5 minutes practical driving exam and you`ve got your second photo ID you want.

To Legally obtain a Peruvian driving licence as a non citizen, I think you'll find there's a requirement to hold a CE.

What is CE? Sorry Im not familiar with the Peruvian acronyms
PaulSal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PaulSal » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:41 pm

Globetrotter wrote:NO BIG DEAL AT INTERBANK
Go to the main branch on Javier Prado & Expressway (Lg building with what looks like a helipad on top sticking out of building).

It took me 15 minutes with just my Passport & NY Drivers license (YOU DO NOT NEED PERUVIAN ID OR LICENSE). I opened a Millionario savings account (ahorros) depositing just USD$100 which you can withdraw after they give you a debit VISA card on the spot, which can be used to make purchases anywhere in the world that accepts Visa. NO PERUVIAN CE NEEDED!!
But I do recommend you get the additional Insurance protection against theft or ID fraud because unlike in the US, here it is not automatically provided by the banks. This way you are protected

I recieve bi-weekly transfers into my account within 1 hour pof being sent from the US. Can't be any easier. Just remember that here, the banks charge your account everytime you use the card for purchases and when you withdraw money from ATM or the teller, they have some rediculous small TAX charges when you do this, otherwise it is a great bank wiith branches everywhere. Also let them know you will be using the card out of the country so that you are not blocked ( for security reasons) just when you need it most. In addition, most banks here only allow withdrawl after 6:00 pm to $300 also for security, during the day you can take out any amount from the teller and I believe the max of $600 from the ATM.

Hope this helps
Globe Trotter

Hey Globe,
1. Any information about opening a Business Bank Account?

2. Do you think there would be any issue with someone transferring $50,000 into their new Peruvian Bank Account? Even if they're not Peruvian Citizens, they would have complete legal access to these funds?
PaulSal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PaulSal » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:45 pm

Alan wrote:
goingnowherefast wrote:I don't think it's a good idea to give fake ID to a bank. Chances are it would be ok, but who knows, 6 months down the road they could close your account with money in it and say it's because it was opened with false ID. Try to open an account at 5 interbank branches with a passport and a few hundred bucks and I am sure one of them will do it.

A friend on a tourist visa just tried to open an account at Interbank and was turned away. The staff person told us that head office had recently circulated a memo instructing all agencies to ask non-Peruvians for a Carnet de extranjeria.

I was sorry to hear that, since most people who eventually move here come in first as tourists and need to move money around. This will make relocating in Peru that much harder.

Hi Alan, Regarding the Carnet de extranjeria: What is it? Can I obtain this at the Peruvian Consular's Office in the United States?
esteban108

Postby esteban108 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:10 am

Hi all ... I just bought 2 claro chips with just my passport.

will try to open a bank account at interbank and let you know.
PaulSal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PaulSal » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:51 pm

esteban108 wrote:Hi all ... I just bought 2 claro chips with just my passport.

Esteban,

Where did you purchase the chips?

Im going to be traveling to Lima in January, and I may need one too. Im not sure if my previous phone number still works becuase its already been 2 years ...
itsallgood
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby itsallgood » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:33 pm

How much longer do you think that will carry on?

http://www.telegeography.com/products/c ... 00-apiece/

el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:17 pm

Since when do you need your passport to buy a claro chip?

I bought 3 claro chips and 1 phone in the last 3 months and was never asked for identification and bought it all at the main claro shop.
leoo24

Postby leoo24 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:46 pm

i was in Lima last week and bought a claro chip and had to show my passport, they're registering all mobiles now
marz

Postby marz » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:14 am

I'm moving to Peru in March and will need to open a bank account. Does anyone in this community knows the requirements as of January 2014 to open a bank account in Lima?
any info, suggestion, comment, would be mostly appreciated
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:38 pm

marz wrote:I'm moving to Peru in March and will need to open a bank account. Does anyone in this community knows the requirements as of January 2014 to open a bank account in Lima?
any info, suggestion, comment, would be mostly appreciated

I opened one a few months ago. You'll need a carnet de extranjeria or dni and sign a bunch of papers. You'll probably want to get a token so you can do online payments/etc at least that's what BCP does so you may want to ask for one of those as well (costs s/20 or something).
maduncledave

Postby maduncledave » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:51 pm

Anything new on this front? I want to get a business going and need an account to transfer $ into. Can't start the business until i have the $ in an account, cant get a carnet until i'm working, can;t work until i have an account to transfer $...

Mad Uncle Dave
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:55 am

maduncledave wrote:Anything new on this front? I want to get a business going and need an account to transfer $ into. Can't start the business until i have the $ in an account, cant get a carnet until i'm working, can;t work until i have an account to transfer $...

Mad Uncle Dave

The rules have tightened. You're going to find it very difficult to open a bank account without a carnet.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register