Buying a Dog

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
dave_b

Buying a Dog

Postby dave_b » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:58 pm

Hey All,

I'm looking at buying a dog - preferably a Golden Retriever. I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction as to where I could get one in Lima.

Also, at some point, said dog and I will be relocating (most likely back to Australia). Does anyone know what paperwork is generally required to get a dog out the country and into another one? I've heard that I just need a certificate from the vet to say that all shots are up to date. Any information in this area would be really helpful as I do want to take this dog with me when I leave.

Cheers,

Dave

adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Buying a Dog

Postby adrian Thorne » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:02 pm

It is a pity you are so precise about the breed you want. There are many strays here, of which a large amount are housed in kennels with the various municipals. Quite often you can offer a good home to a thorough bred dog and in all cases they are in great shape, had their certified jabs, chipped and groomed. I am sure you will find a good friend.
We gave a home to a Snouzer, who is now about seven years of age. He did not come from the Municipal, but having a garden we baby sat him for a few days. The dog had been left in a department, following a moonlight flit by his owners. Discovered over a month later without food and water, he was half normal weight, surviving on a diet of anything that moved, including cockroaches, mice etc. He had a small hoard of vermin, which he protected with his life, to such an extent he was very dangerous to capture and handle.
Three years later we are the proud owners of a wonderful friend and companion. Totally devoted, he never leaves my side. He trained easily and now would protect his home with his life. To this day he delays eating his food, only consuming the minimum, protecting the rest until the next nibble.
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:25 pm

I found my dog, emaciated and hairless, covered in fleas and ticks, in Villa El Salvador. At just two months old, he was tiny, little bones sticking out of his itchy skin. Spotting him was fate. My wife and I both happened to turn to the right at the same time, seeing him pass slowly from under one car to the next. We confirmed with each other what we had seen, jumped out of my father in law's car and had a look around.

Just a puppy, he hadn't really learned to be wary of strangers yet. As we picked him up, a couple of girls running a small stall immediately handed me a plastic bag to take him home in. I put him in the bag and tied the top so only his head could stick out.

We took him to the vet and had him washed, deparasited and gave him his initial shots. Back at home, I carefully took off the remaining dead fleas as he fell asleep with exhaustion. It must have been a terrifying day.

A little later we took him outside. I put him down on the street and took a few steps away. He looked at me, the looked around, then looked at me, unsure what to do. He wasn't sure if I was sending him away or whether he was supposed to come with me. I crouched down and told him to come. His tail moved ever so slightly and he followed. To this day he's never more than a metre away from my feet at all times!

It took him a couple of months to get over the trauma, loose those sad eyes and learn what it meant to play.

This is Lucky now...

Then...

Don't buy a dog.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:48 pm

stuart wrote:I found my dog, emaciated and hairless, covered in fleas and ticks, in Villa El Salvador. At just two months old, he was tiny, little bones sticking out of his itchy skin. Spotting him was fate. My wife and I both happened to turn to the right at the same time, seeing him pass slowly from under one car to the next. We confirmed with each other what we had seen, jumped out of my father in law's car and had a look around.

Just a puppy, he hadn't really learned to be wary of strangers yet. As we picked him up, a couple of girls running a small stall immediately handed me a plastic bag to take him home in. I put him in the bag and tied the top so only his head could stick out.

We took him to the vet and had him washed, deparasited and gave him his initial shots. Back at home, I carefully took off the remaining dead fleas as he fell asleep with exhaustion. It must have been a terrifying day.

A little later we took him outside. I put him down on the street and took a few steps away. He looked at me, the looked around, then looked at me, unsure what to do. He wasn't sure if I was sending him away or whether he was supposed to come with me. I crouched down and told him to come. His tail moved ever so slightly and he followed. To this day he's never more than a metre away from my feet at all times!

It took him a couple of months to get over the trauma, loose those sad eyes and learn what it meant to play.

Don't buy a dog.

Stuart and Adrian you are a heroes. More people should be like you.

They are many dogs on the street. Many suffer from hunger and are sick. People treat them like rubbish.
meggyrosey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby meggyrosey » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:32 pm

I've also adopted an amazing puppy and cat and I could not be happier. I really recommend adopting, there are so many animals that live on the street that are sick and poorly treated.

You can find pure breed dogs like goldens in the many albergues in Lima abandoned by families who purchased a puppy without understanding the time and responsibility involved in caring for an animal. Check out this website... adopcionesperu.tk...

i hope you reconsider buying and decide to adopt
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:00 am

I got Princesa, the beautiful Weimaraner that appears in my avatar, at http://www.animazul.org. She had already been spayed (so no puppies, yippee), deparasited and was fully up to date on all her inoculations. They even brought her to my home and did not charge me a penny (though I did give them a completely voluntary donation). The shelters are overflowing with pets; adopt one. If you need any help, PM me and I will help get you in touch with the right people and translate for you if you wish.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
sanbartoloian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sanbartoloian » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:03 pm

We bring our dog from Kentucky each year. He is a lab/dane as far as our vet knew. He is a rescue dog from the Shamrock Foundation. He and his brothers and sisters were dumped in someone's yard to fend for themselves. Obviously the cost of shipping him back and forth we could probably get a herd of dogs but I have to say we love Zach dearly and free dogs are free but the are worth it.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:34 pm

dave_b wrote:Hey All,

I'm looking at buying a dog - preferably a Golden Retriever. I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction as to where I could get one in Lima.

Also, at some point, said dog and I will be relocating (most likely back to Australia). Does anyone know what paperwork is generally required to get a dog out the country and into another one? I've heard that I just need a certificate from the vet to say that all shots are up to date. Any information in this area would be really helpful as I do want to take this dog with me when I leave.

Cheers,

Dave

My neighbors have a Golden - I'll find out where they got her.

I don't have any first hand information on transporting pets to Oz, but there is a plethora of information right here. When the time comes that you do decide to take a pet back with you, that's the first place I'd check.
h2olilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby h2olilly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:46 pm

This is a facebook group run by some people that help animals in Peru, They often have rescued dogs looking for a good home.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php? ... 1547476383
Antperu
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Antperu » Sat May 11, 2013 11:54 pm

Hey, I know this thread is old but do any of you know where I can adopt an older puppy/dog 1-2 years old in Miraflores, Lima or nearby?
Chavin

Postby Chavin » Thu May 16, 2013 11:57 pm

I've also got some addresses for dog homes if you need them. Maybe you might get lucky and adopt a retreiver.
Champauma
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Champauma » Sat May 18, 2013 11:53 am

Giving my dog for adoption... have a look.
http://corajeseminario.wordpress.com/
bobg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bobg » Sat May 18, 2013 5:44 pm

THIS IS THE BEST POST AND SUBJECT TO BE ON THE BOARD IN A VERY LONG TIME, MAYBE ANYONE WHO HAS A DOG/CAT/PET CAN POST A PICT. AND SOME INFO ON THEM ...........THANKS EVERYONE
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Wed May 22, 2013 7:15 pm

sanbartoloian wrote:We bring our dog from Kentucky each year. He is a lab/dane as far as our vet knew. He is a rescue dog from the Shamrock Foundation. He and his brothers and sisters were dumped in someone's yard to fend for themselves. Obviously the cost of shipping him back and forth we could probably get a herd of dogs but I have to say we love Zach dearly and free dogs are free but the are worth it.

Can you tell me about shipping your dogs back to the States? What airline do you use? Did you go cargo?

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register