I'm a coming!

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm a coming!

Postby bmike1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:48 pm

I don't believe I did this. I bought a plane ticket. I'll be in Lima on 4/4 at 3:15. OH MY GOD! I don't believe I'm doing this. I am so scared!

:-)~mike~(-:
Nate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: I'm a coming!

Postby Nate » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:33 pm

You'll be right. :D
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:53 am

http://tinyurl.com/6cqfpqq
this is about where I'll be living. it's close to starbucks even:!D
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:59 am

bmike1 wrote:http://tinyurl.com/6cqfpqq

This is Peru, forget Starbucks and head in the oposite direction to Av. Flora Tristan 439, where you can try, probably, one of the best Lomo Saltados in town.

www.hikari.com.pe
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:55 am

bmike1 wrote:http://tinyurl.com/6cqfpqq

Mike you will have a long walk to Starbucks but if it is your thing there is a brand new Bembo within a short walk. Some of the most fantastic restaurants are near to you and as Mark says Flora Tristan is the home of my favourite eatery. Good luck to you and family. PM if you need help or just a beer. Adrian
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:56 am

Welcome to Peru, Mike. Now connect up to http://www.livemocha.com and start learning Spanish with the free help of native speakers. Sign up for a free account (they will offer you at least one chance to pay).
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:14 pm

Polaron wrote: start learning Spanish with the free help of native speakers.

Everyone speaks Portugese there!
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:35 pm

markr wrote:
bmike1 wrote:, one of the best Lomo Saltados in town.

http://www.hikari.com.pe

So that's what that dish is called! (I had it when I was there.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:30 pm

Prepare yourself for the worst case scenario. Lima is the ugliest, dirtiest and most dangerous city you've probably visited.

My advice don´t leave Lima airport. The robbers, drugadicts, extorionists and taxi drivers who will take your for a 'special gringo ride' are waiting for you at the outside.
Head for the Starperu ticket desk and purchase a ticket to Tarapoto.
Waving palmtrees, beautiful waterfalls, lush mountainviews, hot weather and hot woman are waiting for you up here. Paradise is only 50 minutes away from Lima.
Nate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:15 pm

euroman wrote:Prepare yourself for the worst case scenario. Lima is the ugliest, dirtiest and most dangerous city you've probably visited.

My advice don´t leave Lima airport. The robbers, drugadicts, extorionists and taxi drivers who will take your for a 'special gringo ride' are waiting for you at the outside.
Waving palmtrees, beautiful waterfalls, lush mountainviews, hot weather and hot woman are waiting for you up here. Paradise is only 50 minutes away from Lima.

Seems there's one big problem with Tarapoto... euroman is there :lol:
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:19 pm

euroman wrote:My advice don´t leave Lima airport. The robbers, drugadicts, extorionists and taxi drivers who will take your for a 'special gringo ride' are waiting for you at the outside.

If I was single I would. But my wife's dad (a high ranking army man) is going to be there to take me to his house in La Molina.
M.Lockwood
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby M.Lockwood » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:40 am

euroman wrote:Prepare yourself for the worst case scenario. Lima is the ugliest, dirtiest and most dangerous city you've probably visited.

Euroman you are my hero.

You type the same post everywhere, I am going to travel to Tarapoto and see if it is as good as you make out!

You are correct though, Lima es crap.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:51 pm

M.Lockwood wrote:

Euroman you are my hero.

You type the same post everywhere, I am going to travel to Tarapoto and see if it is as good as you make out!

It just occured to me, maybe euroman is really a salesman for Tarapoto... all his posts seem to suggest that!
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:33 am

koplinfamilia wrote:
M.Lockwood wrote:

Euroman you are my hero.

It just occured to me, maybe euroman is really a salesman for Tarapoto... all his posts seem to suggest that!

No you are wrong. Euroman loves his life and wants to share it with all. I found a recent photo of the man himself for us to recognise him on our arrival in Tarapoto. He say we can´t miss him. He will wear his memory stick round his kneck.
Attachments
Euroman.jpg
Euroman.jpg (35.92 KiB) Viewed 5735 times
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:51 am

Now that's what I'm talking about!
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:10 am

adrian Thorne wrote:[
Euroman you are my hero.

It just occured to me, maybe euroman is really a salesman for Tarapoto... all his posts seem to suggest that![/quote]

No you are wrong. Euroman loves his life and wants to share it with all. I found a recent photo of the man himself for us to recognise him on our arrival in Tarapoto. He say we can´t miss him. He will wear his memory stick round his kneck.[/quote]

Nice picture of myself.
Off course, I like Tarapoto.

No, I am not a salesman. I don't like money. Money is responsible for many crimes and poverty.
Money is the worst invention ever.
JoshuS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JoshuS » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:29 am

euroman wrote:You type the same post everywhere, I am going to travel to Tarapoto and see if it is as good as you make out!

No, I am not a salesman. I don't like money. Money is responsible for many crimes and poverty.
Money is the worst invention ever.

Hey Euroman, you might enjoy these films I saw recently, which debunks completely the myths of our false social institutions and need for money in our society, mind blowing and ground breaking. "Zeitgeist Addendum" and "Moving Forward" are particularly interesting.

Zeitgeist Movies

Zeitgeist: "Moving Forward", by director Peter Joseph, is a feature length documentary work which will present a case for a needed transition out of the current socioeconomic monetary paradigm which governs the entire world society.
This subject matter will transcend the issues of cultural relativism and traditional ideology and move to relate the core, empirical "life ground" attributes of human and social survival, extrapolating those immutable natural laws into a new sustainable social paradigm called a "Resource-Based Economy".
anuta

Postby anuta » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:53 am

euroman wrote:hot woman are waiting for you up here. Paradise is only 50 minutes away from Lima.

Euroman, didn't mike say that he has a wife and a daughter waiting for him in Lima ?
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
A. Einstein
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:23 pm

anuta wrote:
euroman wrote:hot woman are waiting for you up here. Paradise is only 50 minutes away from Lima.

Euroman, didn't mike say that he has a wife and a daughter waiting for him in Lima ?

But euroman has no regard for such loyalties. He's a hot blooded Belgian. An "Easy Rider" just "Born to be wild"
a 21 century cross between Dennis Hopper and Tarzan.
Let's just hope Jane never catches him though, otherwise we might also have a case of the Jerry Lee Lewis's :lol:
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:29 pm

I don't think he knew that when he wrote it.
anuta

Postby anuta » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:43 pm

bmike1 wrote:I don't think he knew that when he wrote it.

Even if he didn't, you have a picture with a woman and a baby. :D , but you're right, we're just teasing him.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

A. Einstein
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:20 pm

teasing's always good!
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Wellp, I heard it from you, and I've read it on the publications but now I've heard it from a lady at social security its self: I definitely can receive social security and live in Peru. Now I have no fear!
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:16 pm

nervous! I'm very nervous. I am coming on the 4th and that is only 3 weeks away. ohhhhhh the decisions we make.

I hope this won't be a mistake. I'll be really screwed if it is. well, my return ticket is set for three months so we will see what happens.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:12 pm

Relax man! 8)...deep breaths ... besides, we will all be there to meet you at the airport...we will be the large group...look for us...we all have black hair :wink: .
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:32 pm

MarcoPE wrote:...we will be the large group...look for us...we all have black hair :wink: .

cool.... that narrows it down to about 8 million people.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:17 am

The day after I arrive my in-laws are taking me to a beach club about 4 hours south of Lima. Any advise on what I should or shouldn't do? Should I stay out of the water? Not drink the water? etc.
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:42 am

bmike1 wrote:The day after I arrive my in-laws are taking me to a beach club about 4 hours south of Lima. Any advise on what I should or shouldn't do? Should I stay out of the water? Not drink the water? etc.

Peru is not an alien planet. As such I recommend you should not:
1. Jump in front of moving vehicles.
2. Hold your breath for more than 3 minutes.
3. Clean electrical sockets with metal forks.

Follow my advice and you are likely to have a great time. 4hrs is sufficiently far south for wherever you are going to be excellent. Enjoy the sea food.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:58 am

so don't worry about mercury poisoning?
Comet

Postby Comet » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:07 pm

stuart wrote:
bmike1 wrote:The day after I arrive my in-laws are taking me to a beach club about 4 hours south of Lima. Any advise on what I should or shouldn't do? Should I stay out of the water? Not drink the water? etc.

1. Jump in front of moving vehicles.
2. Hold your breath for more than 3 minutes.

Follow my advice and you are likely to have a great time. 4hrs is sufficiently far south for wherever you are going to be excellent. Enjoy the sea food.

hahaha couldn´t agree more.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:15 pm

stuart wrote:
bmike1 wrote:

As long you switch of the main switch, there's no problem with cleaning electrical sockets with metal forks.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:51 pm

markr wrote:He's a hot blooded Belgian.

As a Dutch I can say that such thing does not exist ;) Belgians are the most relaxed people in the world.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:18 pm

Remigius wrote:
markr wrote:He's a hot blooded Belgian.

As a Dutch I can say that such thing does not exist ;) Belgians are the most relaxed people in the world.

Yes, especially when it comes to forming a new government. We had elections in June 2010 and today, we still don`t have a goverment. But, who cares?
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:20 pm

welp, the day of my arrival is almost here! I live in a small town currently and I was approaching the only main intersection of the town I looked around and thought to myself that I didn't want to leave this place. but I need to go and be with my wife and child! what a pain, well, at least I know a few people that speak my language.
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:40 pm

bmike1 wrote:welp, the day of my arrival is almost here! I live in a small town currently and I was approaching the only main intersection of the town I looked around and thought to myself that I didn't want to leave this place. but I need to go and be with my wife and child! what a pain, well, at least I know a few people that speak my language.

What's so good about your small town's intersection? :D
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:30 am

it was just so pretty
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:34 am

bmike1 wrote:it was just so pretty

Mike I can picture it. Just like back home. Quiet roads, green grass everywhere, buildings that were constructed in the 11th century, a few people out walking the dog and not a policeman in sight. Oh silly me I was thinking of Blighty.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:40 am

Well, nothing here was built that long ago. Maybe the 1930s of 40s!
Okay, guys, I leave from Phoenix at 8 and arrive in SanFransisco at 10. Then begins the fun! From Sanfranisco I leave at 1:30 in the morning and fly to El Salvador at 8 in the morning. At 8:30 I leave ElSalvador and arrive in Costa Rica at 10. In the last leg of the trip I fly from costa Rica at 10:30 and arrive in Peru at 3:15. Ye HAAAAAAA. I'm a-coming! I'm not scared or nervous anymore. Just numb.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:36 am

Have a safe trip!
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:22 pm

Now I'm nervous again! It is almost time to go to Phoenix to catch the first plane to my new home. I must be crazy!

Local time is now 1:30.
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:43 pm

Last time i came to Peru it was
London to New York
New York to Houston
Houston to Panama City
Panama city to Lima
nearly took me two days to get to Lima
no wonder the Ticket cost 950 Pounds return :roll:
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:07 pm

I took the train from Brussels to Amsterdam and then flew from Amsterdam right to Lima.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:23 am

well, I'm in sanfransisco as I type. spoke with a nice lady on the plane over... You know, I've always considered myself the quiet type but you know.... I don't think that's true!
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:38 am

Mike, where are you. It's the 4th today. (As of now the 5th).
We've all been waiting for you at the airport to greet you.

Well, we missed the last bus home, so well have to wait for the first bus at 5am. So, if you are still arriving, go to the airport bar. We are the group of guys and girl who are already very drunk.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:47 pm

sorry I missed you all..... I was waiting for my ride. so I call my father in law and he says, "Aqui? En aeropuerto?" and I say "si". so he says "media hora!" so we say or goodbyes and I wait.... and I wait.... and I wait! so I go up to the food place by the migraciones station (which reminds me.... I got a green light bbut they checked me anyways) and they charged me 4 soles for a (whats the local soda called?)! And I wait longer! Finally they showed up and I find out my wife went to the beach with the car so he had to wait for her.
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:04 pm

bmike1 wrote:sorry I missed you all..... I was waiting for my ride. so I call my father in law and he says, "Aqui? En aeropuerto?" and I say "si". so he says "media hora!" so we say or goodbyes and I wait.... and I wait.... and I wait! so I go up to the food place by the migraciones station (which reminds me.... I got a green light bbut they checked me anyways) and they charged me 4 soles for a (whats the local soda called?)! And I wait longer! Finally they showed up and I find out my wife went to the beach with the car so he had to wait for her.

So you're already neck-deep in typical Peruvian culture and adventure. You'll soon find out everything is the same, no such thing as a mundane day here.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:06 am

Mike, I've been following your journey and am somewhat confused. Most of us here have known when you were arriving and what day...but what about your wife and in-laws? Why did your wife take off for the beach on the same day and time you were arriving? :?
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:01 am

I couldn't say why.
Nate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Nate » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:09 pm

Drop me a line, man!
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:09 am

I questioned her about this and she said that they had alreeady paid for it so it needed to be used (which I agree with). So it's all cool!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register