Tailor-Made Clothes

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Hope

Tailor-Made Clothes

Postby Hope » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:47 pm

Hey, do you guys know where to find a professional tailor in Lima - or preferably Miraflores? I need shirts primarily.

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tailor-Made Clothes

Postby americorps » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:53 pm

This website has a great search engine and this topic has been asked a few times.

Checking out these threads may be of some help.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6688&p=52744&hilit=tailor#p52744

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4803&p=30093&hilit=tailor#p30093
alexPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alexPeru » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:44 pm

I use a tailor by the name of Hector Malca. He comes to your house/office with two suitcases, one with cloth for suits and trousers, and the other with shirts. You pick the cloth, he makes the garment. His number is 999670387.
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:02 pm

Norman and Taylor

Los Eucaliptos Avenue 590 – Country Club Lima Hotel, San Isidro, Lima.
Telephone: (511) 222 –0683
[email protected]

Every trip back to Lima I have three shirts made. Takes about a week from the day you are measured to delivery.
alexPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alexPeru » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:09 am

Norman & Taylor are definitely the best shirts! 100% Peruvian pima cotton. They make custom shirts, but you can also buy off the rack.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:03 pm

Only the address already sound very, very expensive Country Club Hotel .... What price do I have to expect when having a normal shirt made?

And can anyone recommend a tailor that can make casual trousers and jeans for women. Seems either my butt doesn't fit in the trousers or they are way to short for me.
mgoody87
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby mgoody87 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:47 am

I was wondering if anyone had further information on the prices of Norman & Taylor shirts? Likewise, if anyone can recommend other custom shirt / camisas a medida makers, I would be interested to know their contact info.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:54 am

There's about 5 different tailors in the streets by Wong in Central Comercial Chacarilla. This is where Angamos meets Primavera/Av Caminos del Inca and Av. San Luis. Look around the little shops by Wong.
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:26 pm

I just talked to my friend that lives near the Country Club, and he said although he has never heard of Norman & Taylor, it is probably a little more than your average tailor. He recommended Sastrería España behind Ripley's in Miraflores. http://www.paginasamarillas.pe/b/sastre ... ana-198730
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

http://www.flickr.com/jcn7vc
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Update: Went to Sastrería España and had a look around. I ended up ordering 2 suits and 4 suits plus a tie. Prices are comparable to a Men's Warehouse in the States (with suits not on sale), but they are custom tailored and custom material. They have two types of material for shirts, and a few different for suits.

I picked them up on Saturday and they are amazing! Really high quality, and great colors and patterns to choose from.
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

http://www.flickr.com/jcn7vc
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:20 pm

I had my suit tailor-made at GAmarra. At Gamarra, it's full of places where you can get tailor-made clothes.

I paid 149 soles for the suit and the quality is very good.
mgoody87
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby mgoody87 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi Chi Chi and others,

I've checked out the market behind Ripley's on Los Pinos, and there are 6 or 7 tailors there, all with prices for 1 shirt starting at 150 soles. I'm guessing if you buy a few shirts, you might be able to push the price down a bit.

Chi Chi, do you have any specific recommendations within Gamarra? I know that it is a huge and overwhelming place, and I also recognize that a lot of the stalls don't have names or easy to find addresses. That said, if you were able to recommend even a general area from which I could begin my search for both a) shirting material and b) tailors, that would be useful.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:18 pm

mgoody87 wrote:Hi Chi Chi and others,

I've checked out the market behind Ripley's on Los Pinos, and there are 6 or 7 tailors there, all with prices for 1 shirt starting at 150 soles. I'm guessing if you buy a few shirts, you might be able to push the price down a bit.

Chi Chi, do you have any specific recommendations within Gamarra? I know that it is a huge and overwhelming place, and I also recognize that a lot of the stalls don't have names or easy to find addresses. That said, if you were able to recommend even a general area from which I could begin my search for both a) shirting material and b) tailors, that would be useful.

150 soles is a big ripp-off.

I bought my suit more than 2 years ago. I don't remember the place. But I advice to shop around. Places come and go there.
What I recommend is not go to the places that have their shopfront on the street. Go inside the galleries and on the 2nd and 3rd floor. Shops that have their shopfront on the street pay more rent and have more passage thus sell more and charge more money.

I recommend you to go with somebody who knows something about clothes. Because, in Gamarra a lot of good quality is sold but also a lot of bad quality.
gooo

Postby gooo » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:35 pm

I have a big interview so I decided to get my suit altered to fit my thinner body and get a customized shirt. I went to the little community by Parque Kennedy with about eight tailor shops and I ended up ordering a shirt at Jami for S/. 150 in Peruvian pima cotton. The guy was kind of unkempt yet knew what he was doing, but he's only taking measurements and not making the shirt. We'll see how that goes.

I'm getting my suit altered at Len Rodridge on Calle Carpacio in San Borja. He was recommended on a style-specific forum and the pinning he did looked really good. S/. 120 to bring in the suit jacket a size, slim the sleeves, adjust the double vents so the hem better fits my hips and add a belt loop on my pants. Good thing is you pay afterwards, so I'll hold him to his reputation. Might get a navy MTM suit if I'm impressed.

Anyone know where I can get good custom-made shoes? Heard Camana...
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:46 am

chi chi wrote:
mgoody87 wrote:Hi Chi Chi and others,

150 soles is a big ripp-off.

I bought my suit more than 2 years ago. I don't remember the place. But I advice to shop around. Places come and go there.
What I recommend is not go to the places that have their shopfront on the street. Go inside the galleries and on the 2nd and 3rd floor. Shops that have their shopfront on the street pay more rent and have more passage thus sell more and charge more money.
I recommend you to go with somebody who knows something about clothes. Because, in Gamarra a lot of good quality is sold but also a lot of bad quality.

I have found the opposite. Storefront on the street have more customers, greater volume, hence can sell more for less and make the same profit as upper level shops. Actually confirmed this talking to the staff. And "have more passage thus sell more and charge more money" is counter intuitive.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:49 am

I asked my wife about prices in Gamarra. She owned several shops where she sold her womens jeans. She said the secret to good prices is to go into a building where there are as many shops that sale what you are looking for. Good competition brings the price down. Even though everybody knows what everyone is charging it still makes it competetive. Not sure there are buildings for mens suits, but i saw almost all other types of clothes grouped like that. Bath towels, to bed sheets!
gooo

Postby gooo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:59 pm

Both my suit and shirt came out very nicely. Fit very well.

A made-to-measure suit at Jami (on Benavides) is S/.600 plus the fabric. For Barrington Super 120s it comes out to S/.1000 and about S/.2500 for a suit made with Loro Piana or Zegna fabric. I'll look around and see if I can find better fabric and construction prices.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register