ECO-Tourism: Starting an eco-village retreat/business

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Ganesha
Silver Member
Silver Member

ECO-Tourism: Starting an eco-village retreat/business

Postby Ganesha » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:26 am

Hello,

I'm from Switzerland and I'm part of a group of friends looking to buy a piece of land in Peru to start an eco-village.
We are not looking for a very lucrative business but only for a different mean of living our everyday life. Of course, money being what it is in this world, we'll need some to pay taxes and so one.

We were thinking about getting an eco-tourism retreat going so we could make money as a hotel and also get people to rethink their way of living when they get back home.

We are currently preparing all the paperwork for this kind of operation and are still looking for partners and investors.

I still have a few question:

-Is there any help form the peruvian government going towards eco-tourism?

-What would be the best region to get that sort of business working? We were thinking about a few places: Iquitos;Tarapoto;Sacred Valley

-Is the tax system fair in regards of small (benefits) businesses.

I hope you'll find answer to my questions and if you're interested about starting a business like the one described, let's talk about it.

Peace

yeka751
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: ECO-Tourism: Starting an eco-village retreat/business

Postby yeka751 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:31 pm

n
Last edited by yeka751 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ganesha
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ganesha » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Thanks for this link. Will try to get in touch with him.

Here are some links about eco-buildings and conceptions:

http://calearth.org/learn-to-build/workshops.html

I'll try to get some information, about eco-communities, posted on this topic.

If you have any links, don't hesitate to share them

Peace :D :D
Gladius

Postby Gladius » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:02 pm

Hello Ganesha.
How is going so far, your plan for the eco-village in Peru? How many are you friends? What kind of eco-village are you planning to built?
I'm from Peru though im not in my country now, i'll back some day next week and i think could help you up with some stuff once im back.

- I believe the best region for the eco-village will be somewhere in the Andes (la sierra), the sacred valley even though i think the land properties over there are expensive. A thing you should consider is the people who lived in la sierra, are more hard-working than those who live in iquitos and tarapoto (la selva or the jungle).

- The environmental policies in peru are developing, including eco-turism. I believe getting help from the government will be difficult, but no impossible. It will be wise to have in mind some private investor interested on the topic.

- the tax system is quite fair. Peru have been ranked the second best country to start a business in latin america.

I hope you find this helpful and if i can help you out with something more you can post me right here or write to my e-mail: [email protected]

Good Luck!
wrcinashfield

Postby wrcinashfield » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:48 pm

I am living in Lima for the next couple of months and teach holistic management and business planning. I have several contacts with much experience starting eco-villages. If you'd like to meet and discuss sometime, let me know, I'd love to hear more about what you are planning and would like to make some connections and new friends while I am living here. One thing to keep in mind (since I work in this field) is climate change. I'd suggest siting your new village in an area where there will be water in the coming years, as much of the Andes is dependent on shrinking glaciers that may not be available in 20 years. You could do a lot of good to teach about climate adaptation strategies as part of your eco-village mission, including different ways to capture and store water and to grow food. Here is a link to a blog where I discuss some aspects of permaculture and holistic management that may be useful to you. Good luck. http://www.wrcinashfield.wordpress.com
Ganesha
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ganesha » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks for these information!

We would indeed like to get people involved and thinking about the different ways to grow food.
We would probably use the principle of permaculture to get our necessary food. We didn't resolve the problem of meat...will we need some or not and if we do, what kind of meat and how many animals would we need...

I had a look at your blog and it is really interesting. Unfortunately, we are not in Peru yet and won't be able to meet there :(

We are planning on getting there on the 1st of january 2012. Hopefully, we will already have all the paperwork done for the association we are putting together and we'll be able to look at different plots of land to buy and get that eco-village going.

We still have to write the business plan and It would be great if you could give us a hand as I see that you are working in this field :)

Once we'll have the land, we would love to get a quote from you company and have you fly down to Peru to help us make the most out the land we'll have.

Thank you for your interest again and I hope that we'll keep in touch.

Inlakesh
Ganesha
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ganesha » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:32 pm

To Gladius,

Thanks a lot for your interest. Concerning the region, you're right when you say that the price of the land is higher in the sacred valley, much higher actually.
Concerning water too, I think that a land in Iquitos would be much easier to get water to than a place high in the Andes.

On the question of hard working people, it won't be an issue for us. We 're not looking for people to work hard all day everyday. And I think that the people who'll be involved with us will have first a experience interest than a money interest. In that thought, no work is hard :wink:

I'll keep your email preciously and will keep in touch with news.

This topic will still be the main discussion board on the subject.

Thanks again

Inlakesh
Ganesha
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ganesha » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:31 pm

More links:

-French association involved in the distribution of seeds of a lot of varieties of plants. Their goal is to counter the main market of seeds and cultures which is responsible for the disappearance of the diversity of agricultural plants around the world for economic reasons: http://www.kokopelli.asso.fr/index.html
(french)
-An eco-village network around the world. Founded by Harre Krishnas (pardon my probable bad spelling of this one), this network regroups eco-villages who are following the Veddhic philosophy based on non-violence.
We are planning on spending time in a few of their villages in South America in order to get some information and advises from them. : http://ecological-farms.blogspot.com/

Again, if anyone feels like sharing some knowledge on posted links, or posting new links, please do.

Peace
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:01 pm

Actually there is one going on in the Sacred Valley.
http://www.khomantakancha.pe
As I understand they are a group of Dutch, but maybe they have other nationalities as well in their community.
Their website seems to be under construction, but it has some info anyway ..
They also have Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=268482174247
Ganesha
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ganesha » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:46 am

Thanks Fanning,

This is great intel! I think I'm gonna keep a close eye on this one and keep it as a great Plan-B :D

In case it happens to be to difficult to get enough people to get a new village going on, we might just be less people and buy one or two spots in the one you wrote about.

Only one problem though... What kind of visa could allow us to stay indefinitly in Peru?
I am an independant videographer, would it be possible for me to get an independant Visa? If yes, how long is it allowed to stay in Peru on this kind of Visa?

Thanks again for this intel!

Peace
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:24 am

About a visa, you can check out http://www.digemin.gob.pe but I discussed already with them about the same thing, and they ( and you ) simply do not fall within any of the residence requirements.
As far as I know, they are on tourist visa, and renew them once in a while..
Gladius

Postby Gladius » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:09 am

Ok Ganesha let's keep in touch, if i come up with anything new i let you know

About the visa, yes it is possible to get an independent visa as an investor. You will need a minimum capital of $25 000.00 an association and your business plan approved. This info is also in the web page that fanning posted, it is spanish thou.

Peace
Ganesha
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ganesha » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:12 pm

Thanks Fanning,

ok for them but what about the independant worker visa.
I am a freelance videographer and have all my equipment, so I would be able to work as an independant in Peru. I'm thinking about starting on a tourist Visas and then 'upgrading' to a independant worker Visa, which, I think, is under the different resident Visas types.

Thanks again for your interest, can't wait to get there and get things started one way or another. :D

Still have my spanish to learn but I don't worry too much about that, I think it'll come to me pretty quick.

Peace
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:21 pm

The independent visa requires you to invest $25.000 in a Peruvian company.
You are looking for a professional visa, but that is more for doctors, ingenieros etc. which involved a lot of paperwork because the Colegio Medico del Peru etc, has to approve/rate your title.
That is not what you are looking for..
Ganesha
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ganesha » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:53 am

Thanks Fanning,

I'll have a look with my local Peru consulate here in Switzerland, to see if I can have some kind of validation for my diploma in Film making and see if the Peruvian gov would see it as a potential Independant professional Visa.

Thanks for the intel and don't hesitate to send more

Peace
ekobius

Postby ekobius » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:06 pm

I appreciate your enthusiasm. I am starting an ecovillage, actually an environmental retreat in Guyana and understand your concerns.
Ganesha
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ganesha » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:52 pm

@ Ekobius: really? that's good news.

Do you have a skype account?

maybe we could chat some day...
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:31 pm

Ganesha,

Do you know how to edit a 30 to 60 minutes video ? I refer to something that could be broadcast on a TV program..

Do you know something about making TV spots.. for commercial products and services.. ?

I have some great ideas to share with you about what you could work when living in Peru..
Ganesha
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ganesha » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:55 pm

To windsportperu:

Hello,

No problem for editing a 30-60minutes video, only time. This kind of duration is pretty hard work, but very mangeable if you're well organized.

As this topic is really about the eco-village and I want to keep it that way, we could exchange private messages or chat over skype.

My skype ID: tchipitchisme

It's so exciting to have someone interested in video in Peru!!! Thank you so much for that.

Hope to hear from you soon

Peace
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:38 pm

I suggest you come to Tarapoto.

Land can be bought very cheap here. There are some ECO lodges around here and they are doing very well.
For 5000 soles, you can buy a big piece of land.
Regarding to licencing, the local authorities are easy and won`t hassle you. Investers visa??? In Tarapoto you can get a RUC without a visa or CE. Just your passport is sufficient.

It`s interesting to know that Tarapoto in in San Martin, the safest province in Peru. Tarapoto is located in La Selva alto so no problems with flooding here.
Tarapoto has a new and modern airport and there are many flights a day to Lima, Pucallpa and Iquitos.
Ganesha
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ganesha » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:20 pm

Euroman

Thanks a lot for the info. Only a few questions

What exactly is RUC and CE . Sorry, not familiarised with expat terminology :wink:

Actually Tarapoto was one of our ideas. We'll definitely have a look over there.

Thanks again
supergrover

Postby supergrover » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:59 pm

RUC is a tax id number.

We have 13 acres of prime land in Tarapoto, titled (very important), and complete with two spring-fed streams AND municipal water (pipe-fed). It's on a hill in the high jungle with plenty of build sites and a mixture of forest, plantation and grassland. We have been thinking of putting up a little lodge on it. We might be interested in a partnership.

John
Ganesha
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ganesha » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:49 am

Hi John,

It could be a great idea! What kind of lodge would you like to start?

Do you know if there is more land to buy around Tarapoto, and if it's the case, the approximate price per ha?

I really would love to start a permaculture center over there and be able to learn and teach different techniques of growing things in harmony with nature. Is that along your way of thinking?

Hope to hear from you soon

Peace
Blink

Postby Blink » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:44 am

Hi Ganesha, I've been reading your posts and find it very interesting that you are looking to start an eco-village/retreat business. I had the same idea when I came to Peru 10 years ago and started something, which is now on its way and rather successful. However, I am now homesick and want to return home. Contact me and maybe you'd be interested in taking over what I have started and taking it further. Any way we can take this to a private forum? All the best...
charitymasters

Postby charitymasters » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:07 pm

HELLO,
HERE IS A LINK TO OUR 80 ACRE LODGE/PROPERTY WHICH WE OUR SELLING IN THE IQUITOS REGION.
IT IS ALREADY SET UP FOR WHAT YOU WISH TO DO. WE WERE DOING THE SAME THING, BUT PLANS HAVE CHANGED....BABY ON THE WAY AND WE WILL BE MOVING BACK TO THE STATES.

http://realestate.totalperu.com/Loreto/ ... portunity_

SEE LINK FOR FULL DETAILS AND PICTURES WHICH OUR HERE( http://pics.totalperu.com/members/charity/)

80 acre Jungle Lodge For Sale, A Great Opportunity!!

Property Details
Asking Price: $35,000
City: Jenaro Herrera
State/Province: Loreto

80 acre Jungle Lodge/ Ayahuasca center For Sale.

This enchanted property lies not far from the village of Jenaro Herrera, peru

on the Ucayali River.

The property consists of 80 acres of delightful jungle with many plant medicines, fruit, creeks, wildlife and trails.

The lodge consists of bungalows for 15 guests and a maloca for traditional ceremonies.

To own this little piece of paradise we are only asking $35,000 U.S. !

A Great Opportunity to have your already newly constructed Healing, Retreat and Learning Center for Natural Medicine, Yoga, Acupressure/Puncture, Ayahuasca, off the grid/self sustainable living, small tourist business or perfect for a quiet vacation home for a large family or group. would also function for various types of self sustainable collectives and projects or many other things!

For those who desire a connection to the earth, and who are motivated by the desire to live a simple, rural life and enjoy living in harmony with nature.

At a Glance:

Jenaro Herrera , Loreto, PERU

Type:

healing/learning center

Bedrooms:

Plot Size:

80 acres (30 hectares)

Bathrooms:

Sleeps:

13-15
Axel

Postby Axel » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:53 am

Hey Ganesha,
I was wondering if you guys made any progress with your ecovillage/retreat center idea. I was playing with similar thoughts for quite some time (although focusing more on Costa Rica) and I feel it is time now to join or build something, either in Costa Rica, or perhaps in Peru. I have been to CR a few times but not to Peru yet. Anyway, let me know what you are up to (if anything) if you want since I am planning to get involved in a project like yours.

BTW: I am German and live in the states.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you,
Axel
Axel

Postby Axel » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:54 am

@Charitymasters:

Hi Charity,
is your property still for sale? I saw pictures and would like to know more. Let me know if it is still for sale.

Best,
Axel
charitymasters

Postby charitymasters » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:14 am

yes, the property is most definitley still for sale!
we would be happy to provide any more info wanted, pics, and to set up a time for you to see it if you wish.
please contact me directly through my email at

[email protected]

all the best to you and yours

Charity
Icaro123

Postby Icaro123 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi
I have been thinking about starting/taking on a retreat in Peru for a few years now.
I have a close relationship with Peru (My wife is Peruvian) and have lived there on and off over the last 10 years.
I also have some good contacts in Lima and the provinces as far as healers/Shamans, yoga teachers, musicians, film makers and more.
I will be settling in Peru sometime in the next 12 months.
I am interested in setting up a healing/learning center with residential workshops for tourists, (possibly with an intake of Peruvians who would not normally be able to afford it.)
Anyone with a going concern, or a similar interest, it would be great hearing from you. (Ganesha, Blink, Supergrover?)

Thanks
darbycmcd

Postby darbycmcd » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi there. I owned a medical holistic clinic for several years in Seattle, but now, after many life twists and turns, have ended up in Peru. I would be interested to hear more about your idea and see if there is some way I can be a part of it. Contact me at

darbycmcd (at) yahoo (dot) com
mtwilson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mtwilson » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:30 am

I am coming to this conversation a little late and I hope that the contacts made here are still active. I will try reaching out to those of you who have posted alternate contact info.

My wife's family is from Baranquita which is between Tarapoto and Yurimaguas. We have some of the largest private land holdings in the area and we are planing similar kinds of projects there as have been discussed on this thread. My wife's family has had this land for decades but the family generally views farming or working the land as drudgery and frankly beneath them.

Consequently they are essentially giving us free reign to do what we like with it. We have free and clear title and all told there is approximately 100 hectares of virgin rain forest. It is our intention to begin the process of implementing permaculture design concepts to manage the land and to teach these concepts to the other local land holders (many of whom are distant relatives or long term family friends) and to international guests as well. The idea is to create a living educational center that includes land stewardship (mainly permaculture forest farming techniques and related methods), indigenous studies (including ayahuasca sessions and traditional medicine, textiles and ceramics), certified TEFL/TESOL classes for locals, animal husbandry and cooperative economics to mention but a few.

Our approach is based on a long term commitment to community building and regional economic development with an emphasis on cultural trade and learning. We are certainly looking to collaborate (not compete) with others who are like minded and we would welcome the opportunity to develop solid contacts and a diverse network in Peru and South America in general. We are not promoting any particular spiritual path or narrow lifestyle choices, rather we want to open these essential skills to as many people as possible, especially within the surrounding community.

I would invite anyone interested in collaboration and/or brainstorming to contact me personally. We have much more going on there than what I have summarized above. PM me for further info or contact me by email at mtwilson.1200 AT gmail.com.

My wife and I are currently finishing a contract job in Saudi Arabia but we plan to return in March/April 2013 to begin the project. We already have an investment company in Peru and we are looking into non-profit status for the project. Hope to establish future collaborators in these worthwhile endeavors throughout Peru!
Mike

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register