What the Heck?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

What the Heck?

Postby americorps » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:29 am

Here is a video LIP posted on youtube.

You decide if it is funny or in bad taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NbN7yl2 ... r_embedded

fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What the Heck?

Postby fanning » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:12 am

Very funny !
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:02 pm

I thought it was good. I can imagine that as ab SNL skit. A modern skit.... not like in the 70s and 80s when they were good.
:-)~mike~(-:
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:19 pm

How on earth did you come accross that?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:24 pm

It is making the rounds of the ministry of tourism and a friend there sent it to me.
JoshuS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JoshuS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:10 pm

The way things are starting to look here in the States scenes like those in the LIP video might not be too far fetched. Expectantly, the war against workers and unions which has started in Wisconsin for example, hasn't even been reported by main stream media as it should, and as "austerity" measures start to get implemented throughout the state of the union we will see more of revolts and demonstrations.
uwwgal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby uwwgal » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:59 pm

I am from WI.. and I was a teacher there. I highly doubt that a bill going through WI is going to cause people to flee the States. Furthermore, it is not a war against workers and unions. The state is divided because of the current economic situation and the amount the benefits of public employees cost, and most do not pay anything towards them. BTW, I am not saying I agree with the bill, but I am honestly getting really sick of people complaining about it. When I was teaching at a public school back home, I was very aware of how lucky I was to have top notch health care and not have to pay for it. I was also aware of how lucky I was that I got a raise EVERY year. I am from a family that did not have that. My best friend is a 6th year kindergarten teacher and makes about $50K a year. My dad has been working for the same company for about 30 years and makes less than she does, and has to pay skyrocketing insurance rates on top of it. Really, it is not fair... and I think that's what the governor is trying to "fix" in some weird way.

Back on topic, I think the video is kind of funny. I giggled with the basics the "gringos" brought on their rafts with them! Mmmm snickers!
Katie
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:03 pm

If the bill were really about cutting costs, you would have a point.

However, you never mentioned that the union actually accepted every single cost cutting measure suggested by the governor..including paying a much larger portion of health care and retirement.

The bill has nothing to do with the budget, it is an anti-union bill that limits free speech of employee groups by forbiding them to form pacs, leaving big corporations the only voice in the pac process.
uwwgal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby uwwgal » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:22 pm

The bill is to get rid of the unions' collective bargaining rights... which means that when it is time to negociate things like insurance, they can't. Thus, I'm guessing 9 times out of 10, the school board (in the case of teachers) will raise the amt that teachers have to pay towards their insurance, and give them less of a raise, if any. Since public employees are mainly funded by taxpayer dollars, that results in saving the state money.

Do I agree with this? Not really. I don't think it is right to take away the collective bargaining rights of a union, bc that is indeed taking the power out of the union... and I am very appreciative of all that the WEA has done for teachers in WI.

It's a sticky situation and no one is really hearing both sides of the story...nor do I think they want to.
Katie
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:26 am

funny (the video, I mean).
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:49 pm

Alan Garcias message to the nation 2010, 1403 hits.
The Peruvian dream 102395 hits in 4 days.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register