Heated swimming pools?

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Nate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Heated swimming pools?

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:04 pm

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows of any accesible heated swimming pools for use in winter?

I take my nearly 3 year old swimming every week here in Sydney, and was hoping we could continue this when in Lima.

From what I understand, Miraflores Park Hotel and Hotel Novotel Lima have heated pools, but i'm sure they'd only be for use by patrons.

Kind regards

Nate

Nate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Heated swimming pools?

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:04 pm

Just found this:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6001
Nate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:09 pm

Is the correct spanish - Piscina temperada ?
Nate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:20 pm

Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:49 pm

Nate wrote:http://www.natacionismaelmerino.com/

My daughter goes there, but you can only take classes.
Nate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:52 pm

Remigius wrote:

Oh? I saw some Horas libres on the website?

http://www.natacionismaelmerino.com/Nat ... ibres.html

How much do the lessons cost? My daughter doesn't really need to take lessons but if it is an option, I'll look into it.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:46 am

Swimming pools don`t have to be heated. It warm enough up here.
Besides very few houses have a hot water tap. Everybody showers with cold water.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:22 am

Nate wrote:
Remigius wrote:

How much do the lessons cost? My daughter doesn't really need to take lessons but if it is an option, I'll look into it.

Interesting. I was told you had to take classes. Well, not the first time I'm being misinformed.
Nate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:44 pm

Remigius wrote:
Nate wrote:
Remigius wrote:

Interesting. I was told you had to take classes. Well, not the first time I'm being misinformed.

How much do the lessons cost?
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:41 pm

Nate wrote:

3x a week (12 classes) - 270 soles
1x a week (4 classes) - 130 soles
Nate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:55 pm

Remigius wrote:
Nate wrote:

3x a week (12 classes) - 270 soles
1x a week (4 classes) - 130 soles

Cheers
orla1

Postby orla1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:07 pm

Hi Nate,
I have also been attending the same swimming pool, it is really nice and the perfect temperature. I was searching for a nice, clean pool for a long time, a friend of a friend did some research on the cleanliness of all public pools in Lima - this faired out the best! We have been attendind mother & baby classes. There are some horas libres but I think this changes each week depending on the slots used by the local schools. I will pick up a leaflet at the weekend and let you know.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:49 pm

I swam here today. The office was empty when I arrived at 11am and the maintenance guy just told me to swim and inquire afterwords. I got done with my swim and the administrator gave me the info and charged me S/.25 for the hour and another S/.25 for Wednesday. She told me I could go monthly after Semana Santa since they are closed thurs/fri. She was very nice and spoke pretty good English even though I spoke Spanish it seemed she wanted to practice her English.

About the pool. It's 6 lanes, 25 meters but only about 3 feet deep on each end which is pretty damn shallow. The pool is a little on the warm side. It is very clean. At the time I showed up it was only occupied by 2 other swimmers who were just doing laps like myself.

Price per month(Soles):
5 days / week: 370
4 days / week: 320
3 days / week: 270
2 days / week: 220
1 days / week: 130

Winter hours (open lanes):
M-F: 10am - 3pm

---------------------
Compared to that literal cess pool on block 4 of pardo (basement of Energym) this place is Club Med. Don't even waste your time with the Pardo pool - it is a dump. Also, there is a pool at a school about a half a block from Energym and it is also pretty poor, overcrowded and dirty. It appears natacionismaelmerino is about the best option for those of us without a membership to a country club.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:57 pm

I go to the luxurious NATURA VIVA resort in Tarapoto and pay 5 soles for the day.

Pool bar attended by 3 exotic beautiful girls dressed in bathing suit like in bay watch (one girl is from Thailand), mini zoologico, loza deportivas, 2 immaculate swimming pools surounded by palmtrees and lush mountain views and exclusive dining with signature dishes.
Natura Viva is the place to be seen.

LOOK AT THE VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrSvfVL67z4

Or the famous LAGUNA VENEZIA. 3 soles for the day. (7 soles when there`s motocross).
A beautiful lagoon, surrounded by palmtrees. Free kanoeing. Monkeys are walking around the lagoon.
At Laguna Venezia, you feel like your are in HAWAII.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:40 am

So I let my membership expire at this place back in early September when I left Peru for a month. I had a few issues with natacionismaelmerino.

First, they will close the pool for maintenance unannounced on occasion. Since I go on lunch breaks and walk there it basically consumed my entire break and I was not able to get a workout session in for the day. They do not update their Facebook or otherwise alert members of the closure. So I had to basically call every day before I went to make sure it was open.

Also, it's just too expensive. $100 / month for 3 x 1 hour sessions per week adds up. I have to maintain a separate gym membership so my expenses for working out were just getting out of hand. I had to decide between a fgym or just a pool and I went with my gym membership.

Third, the lanes are just too narrow for circle swimming on the rare occasions the pool is busy. If you try to swim in the afternoons you'll encounter a full pool more often than not. I went around 11am and this seemed to be perfect. But on some days I had to go later, I basically was screwed trying to circle swim with a fat guy who sloshed around up and down the lane in backstroke. It would have been funny had I not being paying for that session.

Also, one other thing, sometimes LAN would come in there and use up half the pool with a giant raft to train their employees how to handle water landings. This would be unannounced and it limited the pool to just 3 lanes for more than an hour.

Anyway, I can no longer endorse this pool so strongly. I am without a pool at the moment and just running/lifting. I do miss my daily swims a lot.

Anyone have any recommendations outside of this pool or the ones down on Pardo? La Hacienda has a separate pool at the Energym basement location that is nicer but I don't know much about Hacienda membership costs. It seems like one of those expensive lifetime type socios clubs. Without a vehicle I am limited to Miraflores area.
ehat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ehat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:49 am

I use the aqualab http://www.aqualab.com.pe/ they have one in San Isidro that i´ve never been too and one in LimaTambo in Surco/San Borja. That one has open swim times and the prices are a little better. 15 soles and hour or 7 on weekends for free swim. They also close without notice to cleaning, but i feel this is a peru thing. They also have remodeled their gym space which used to cost 1 sol and hour to use.

The gym prices at pools seem to be a lot cheaper than normal gym prices as well.

One other thing-with summer around the corner, if anyone wants swim lessons for adults or kids in English hit me up. I´m certified by the red cross and have been teaching for 8 years and I used to be a competitive swimmer.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:26 pm

brace yourself for "oh, but the heater is broken, not sure when it will be fixed again" :lol:
chaska95
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby chaska95 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:33 am

I haven't been yet, but I've been planning to join the pool/gym at the YMCA in Pueblo Libre. Anyone have any experience there?

Jo
They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. - Andy Warhol
We all have big changes in our lives that are more or less a second chance. - Harrison Ford

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register