Issues with Neighbors

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
meggyrosey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Issues with Neighbors

Postby meggyrosey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:40 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice or maybe a reference to a law of the rights of a homeowner inside an apartment building.

Just to give a little history, I purchased an apartment almost a year ago. I moved into my apartment in September after making some small renovations. The building has 4 other families (one of which no longer is there in the building due to an illness). I have been having continuous issues with my neighbors.

The first because I have a dog and cat (both rescues). When my dog was younger he did cry but now he's fine and plays with my cat. I'm not the only one with pets in the building but it was made to be an issue because I have a dog and a cat. There were no rule about animals when I moved in now you are not supposed to have more than one me being the exception.

Second, my neighbors seem to have an issue with my boyfriend. Recently I had to travel to the US last minute and he stayed in my place to take care of my animals. He is always over anyway and has met my neighbors. They sent me an email in an uproar because he was there and I wasn't and that they don't know him. This I can understand if he isn't over my place every other day. He's been introduced to everyone and he's been over my place since before I moved in.

I have had only two get togethers since I've moved in, both I kept my windows closed as to not bother my neighbors and we kept the volume down...but they were still upset about it.

I want to really understand my rights as a homeowner. The building does not have a curfew and I have been more than respectful of the noise levels. I shouldn't have to feel uncomfortable with my neighbors when my boyfriend watches my apartment for me and really, I don't think they have the right to tell me otherwise. They have asked for a meeting this Friday and for everyone to bring a copy of the rules. I have the rules that were discussed in December however, apparently I don't have the right rules. I should have the rules from the previous owner. Do I have the right to contest these rules (i haven't seen them yet) as I was not living there when they were made? I feel as though I'm being severely bullied and am uncomfortable in my apartment. This is my first place and I don't want to be intimidated like this and feel like my only solution is to move out. I'm only 26 and I'm sure that the treatment I'm receiving has a lot to do with my age.

I would love to here anyone's opinion and/or similar experiences.

Thanks!

Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Issues with Neighbors

Postby Lloyd007 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:38 pm

I too have a nuisance neighbour and roughly every 3 or 4 weeks he has a party until around 5am with the volume of his super-duper mega sound system cranked up to full blast. And just for good measure, he loves opera and he and his mates love to belt out those pavarotti's, singing in unison with the CD, from time to time! It used to drive me nuts, but I just accept it now as part of life. It's quite funny sometimes, actually. Plus, he always does it on a Saturday, so it's not like I have work the next day or anything. I used to complain but gave up as nobody else really cares or does anything about it (they don't live right next door, obviously).
When it comes to parties and noise, there is a ''ruidos molestos'' rule/law with time curfews. Not sure exactly what they are, but I know it does exist. Neighbours can call Serenazgo if it goes over time and there could be a fine for the offending neighbour if a warning is ignored and the fiesta continues.
But, if your boyfriend is there or if you are there, or if you rent it to a third party, it's none of their business - unless of course, someone is doing something they shouldn't be which upsets them?
Pets is another matter and varies from building to building, I guess. Not sure, sorry. I don't think that having two pets is an issue at all, and their complaints maybe being petty.
I think you should just reassure your neighbours at the meeting that they have nothing to worry about - you, your boyfriend and your pets don't make any (or very little) noise and will respect the building and property.
Your neighbours seem like a close knit bunch, which could be a very good thing i.e watching out for each others apartment, who's coming and going... etc.
I wouldn't worry about it to be honest, but you do have to be tremendously patient with neighbours sometimes and certainly stand your ground.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:53 pm

Make sure your novia is at that meeting!
:-)~mike~(-:
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:00 pm

I think your neighboor bully you because your are foreign.
They see you as the gringo with MUCHO DOLLARES and are jealous. They suggest that your are rich and never had to work for it.

I suggest to ignore them and don't go to that meeting.
And if they talk to you, pretend that you don´t speak a word of spanish.
sarita
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sarita » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:14 pm

I as well had neighbor issues.I'm 2 and I moved into an apartment building in June and by the end of July the complaints began. The building manager claimed that my friends had stolen things from the building and called them several derogatory words ( which she had no room to talk!).I called a meeting with the owners of my building as well as the rest of the building. The building manager lied to my face saying she never accused my friend of stealing when she stood in my door and said they did. Also they claimed that " this was their home and they wanted to be safe and that we weren't thinking like that" and I responded telling them of course I wanted to be safe being a white 24 year old female living alone in Peru with no family at all. WERE THE KIDDING ME? The problems ceased for a little bit and then I threw a huge party for my birthday.. and got not one word complaint when the music was blasting until 5 in the morning. Then out of no where in December while I was in the US visiting family they started harassing the owners making up all this stuff about me and in the end they kicked me out of the building at the end of January. They told me they had to take in everyones opinion and that they were sorry and they know the building didn't like us because we were young and lived like young adults... blah blah blah. I personally think its because you are American as well. My boyfriend who is Peruvian was always over also and I was friends with the neighbor's son across the hall. They had no complainants and said that we were never too loud. However every other Peruvian in the building complained and it was worse because several of them had become friends ( even tho the building was only 9 months old when i moved in.)
Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Omikron » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:18 am

I'm the owner of a brand new apartment in Miraflores, the building is only 1 year old. The rules were established by all the owners after several meetings and we also appointed the "Junta Administrativa" among the owners, the President, the Secretary and the Treasurer. We decided that the administration would be dealt by an external company instead of ourselves, because being 32 owners, it would be a nuisance having to face troublesome neighbors (there is always one or several "joyitas" in a building).

The Junta Administrativa has no legal rights yet, as it has not being registered in Registros Publicos as a company itself therefore they do not have a RUC nor can have a bank account. As such, the rules are just a simple piece of paper that is followed by every neighbor, but does not have any legal value either. The constructor ,as in every new building, registered himself as the first "Junta" and presented some standard rules that were required by law but those do not fit with the needs we the neighbors currently have. One of our building "joyitas" happens to be a lawyer, so he is currently paying a monthly fee much lower than he is supposed to pay, because he only considers the constructor's rules as the only valid ones since those are the ones legally registered. Every apartment water supply can be controlled individually (the constructor built it this way) so the only way to enforce the rules to any troublesome neighbor is by cutting their water input.

At the end, rules are internal matters and I do not believe anything can really be done without a legal battle. You should solve your problems with the Junta Administrativa but if your building has only 4 families, chances are the President, if there is one, is one of the people you are having problems with.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:12 pm

That`s one of the reasons why I bought a house. It's beter than an apparment. It`s costs a bit more but I saves me a lot of hassle and I can do with my house what I want.
I lived in appartment buildings before and luckily never had any issues with neigboors but I heard a lot of stories from other people.
Until recently, I had some discussions with my neigboor regarding his parties. He`s a police officer and has a drinking problem. Regularly, he comes home drunk at 5AM. Parks his motorbike in front of his house and starts URINATING ON THE ENGINE OF HIS MOTORBIKE. You see then the steam of urine. BAH
When his wife is at home it`s usually quiet but she often away for a few days for work and then there are parties with naked girls and they smash their beer bottles in front of the house.
Luckily, they moved away this week.

sarita wrote: The problems ceased for a little bit and then I threw a huge party for my birthday.. and got not one word complaint when the music was blasting until 5 in the morning. Then out of no where in December while I was in the US visiting family they started harassing the owners making up all this stuff about me and in the end they kicked me out of the building at the end of January.

Sarita, that you threw a party with loud music until 5 am is not very respectfull towards your neigboors and it`s asking for problems.
I personaly don`t do parties but I suggest that people who want to hold a party with loud music and noise should go to a nightclub with their friends.

Most new appartment building in Peru have walls as thin as toiletpaper and you can hear whatever happens by the neigboors.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:20 pm

I have had a neighbor who, for 4 years, has let her dog bark all day long. Unfortunately, she lives right next to me and the sound is incredible. It does not matter if I have my windows closed, my fan on and am watching TV or listening to music, the dog is loud. My boss once asked me if I have a dog here in my home because it was so loud while talking on the phone.

I have asked her many times how we can solve the situation. especially as the dog often barks in the wee hours of the morning and wakes me up. Having chronic fatigue and sleep apnea, loosing sleep affects my health.

I am an animal lover having had pets much of my life and offered solutions including paying for a trainer or even walking her dog a couple times a day.

She was offended at any suggestion and the situation never was resolved.

Recently my health has declined a bit and so it started to cause some problems,so I spoke to her one last time. She told me to go F myself, literally.

So I filed a denuncia with the municipality.

The result. she now has fines she refuses to pay and I am worried she will loose her dog...and I do NOT want that....and

She had gone up and down the street telling all our neighbors that I am having gay orgies at my house every weekend.

Most of my neighbors know me as I have done good deeds for them...helped them with furniture, picked them up something from the store, lent them sugar, purchased raffle tickets and I am generally well liked. Several of the neighbors came and told me of the gossip. My only response...I wish i knew about the parties as I have never been to one and am curious to see.

It is going to be a scandal for some time as the neighbor in question was just elected president of the neighborhood association, but as a result of this ( and especially a couple other neighbors that are tired of her dog) the association is split and half the neighbors no longer participate.

She also said the woman who lives here is a lesbian. By now, this was so Magali that I decided to have some fun with it.

The police were asking me if I was having sex parties and if I lived with all gay people. From the street, I yelled at the top of my lungs and asked the woman who lives here to open her window. She yelled..what? I asked her if she was a lesbian or was having lesbian sex parties because that is what the neighbor has been saying. She screamed back...The neighbor is gossipy, a liar and crazy and slammed the window. The cops laughed and laughed and laughed and told me not to worry about it.

They talked to the woman and told her it was a bad idea to gossip and worse to bother me, so to just quiet her dogs and leave me alone.

We will see what comes next. I have been here 5 years without problem..in fact I can never remember a time in my life when I had problems with my neighbors..but I guess there is always a first.
Comet

Postby Comet » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:25 pm

Wow what a pill..the owner I mean...it´s shocking how ignorant most dog owners are here...no idea at all how to train them and it seems to be the rule rather than the exception to never take them out, let them bark all day and remain blissfully unaware or not caring about the effect on other people..I had one neighbour who let her dog bark all day and evening..so I just started banging on the floor everytime until they finally got the message...barking dog = a lot of noise from upstairs,,not a problem at all now.
Have you thought about moving? I couldn´t stand that for 4 days never mind 4 years.
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:44 pm

It doesn't matter what country you live in, if you live in a multi-residential there will always be some fussy neighbor that the luxury of a fence won't be around to fix.

Buuut...Because you live in Peru, they can complain all that they want and there is nothing that they can legally do about it, regardless of whatever "rules" they made up. There is nothing legally binding in those rules...And they cannot legally keep you out of the building and/or prevent you from accessing your home. If they do, then you bring a nice member of the PNP right over to solve such an issue.

From my own biased opinion, foreigners are held to a higher standard in Peru and normally they are double standards at that. Yes, it's okay for them to host polladas and blast music until 5:30 in the morning - No, it's not okay for you to host a humble get-together yourself.

I don't think you should have to attend a meeting if you do not want to. They should not be permitted to dictate how you use your private residence. There are no laws in Peru concerning "home owners associations." Just stick to the municapility laws and you should be fine, it's more than likely that your neighbors are ignorant to the fact that their "rules" are not "law."

From my own experience, there really is not much of a way explaining your cultural differences and expectations. Just tell your neighbors that you understand and appreciate their concern, but you are also aware of your legal rights under Peruvian law as a homeowner (as vague and few as they are) and that you would kindly appreciate it if they would respect those rights...which you just so happen to be exercising, visiting boyfriend and all.

If you don't draw a line in the sand, then your neighbors will draw one for you.

Best of luck!

Rachel
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:22 pm

Sometimes, respect for others is far away in Peru.

I had some people in my neigboorhood too who were helding noisy parties all night long. Luckily, the only have them at weekend nights.
lou

Postby lou » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:57 pm

Neighbors in any country can be troublesome...

First of all you should get the rules (all rules) for the building so you are informed. It's true that they cannot legally take action, but it's always a good idea for you to at least know what kind of "issues" they could try to bring on.

Also, in case you want to know more maybe consult with a lawyer, but it shouldn't be necessary. More than the foreigner thing, it's probably about the age. But as long as you are informed and keep your patience, you should be able to deal with it. I agree that if you decide to go to the meeting, don't go alone, and BE INFORMED.

You are a home-owner, and as long as you are up to date with your service and administration payments, they can try to make your life a living hell, but unless you do something serious, they can't do anything.

I have a neighbor that doesn't work, and she stares out her window all day long waiting for an opportunity to call serenazgo. I live in a house and she's in an apartment building next door, and if either someone in my house or the other neighbors do anything she considers "inappropriate", she immediately calls serenazgo. The people in her building are sick of her, but since she is a home-owner, there's nothing they can do. The municipality already knows her and because of it we have even become friends with the guards assigned to our area. Due to regulation they always have to come, but by now it's a home visit more than anything.

Anyway, once a week she comes over, for whatever reason. We just let her talk, she always tries to pick a fight, we don't give in, and it's actually funny watching this lady waddle back to her apartment huffing and puffing.

So yeah, if you go, go with someone, don't lose your temper, and make sure you are familiarized with all regulations, you don't want them pulling out info you didn't know existed. And again, you are a homeowner so they have the obligation to give you any and all information you ask for regarding the building: administration, rules and financial. After all, you pay your apartment dues for maintenance and security right? So don't let them bully you. Good luck!!!!
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:04 pm

meggyrosey wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice or maybe a reference to a law of the rights of a homeowner inside an apartment building.

Just to give a little history, I purchased an apartment almost a year ago. I moved into my apartment in September after making some small renovations. The building has 4 other families (one of which no longer is there in the building due to an illness). I have been having continuous issues with my neighbors.

The first because I have a dog and cat (both rescues). When my dog was younger he did cry but now he's fine and plays with my cat. I'm not the only one with pets in the building but it was made to be an issue because I have a dog and a cat. There were no rule about animals when I moved in now you are not supposed to have more than one me being the exception.

Unless it is in the testimonial there is no law unless the animals are not cared for. You could have a zoo within reason.

Second, my neighbors seem to have an issue with my boyfriend. Recently I had to travel to the US last minute and he stayed in my place to take care of my animals. He is always over anyway and has met my neighbors. They sent me an email in an uproar because he was there and I wasn't and that they don't know him. This I can understand if he isn't over my place every other day. He's been introduced to everyone and he's been over my place since before I moved in.

There are usues with strangers in the camp but no law to restrict your use. For security reasons a notarise authority is all that is required for security and police only. If your neigbours felth threatened they would have contacted the police. I think it is a bit of a Witch hunt. Are you the only foreigner in the building?

I have had only two get togethers since I've moved in, both I kept my windows closed as to not bother my neighbors and we kept the volume down...but they were still upset about it.

Where I live parties are common place and regularly finish at 5 or 6 in the morning. Unless it occures to often or for finacial gain, nothing can be done.

I want to really understand my rights as a homeowner. The building does not have a curfew and I have been more than respectful of the noise levels. I shouldn't have to feel uncomfortable with my neighbors when my boyfriend watches my apartment for me and really, I don't think they have the right to tell me otherwise. They have asked for a meeting this Friday and for everyone to bring a copy of the rules. I have the rules that were discussed in December however, apparently I don't have the right rules. I should have the rules from the previous owner. Do I have the right to contest these rules (i haven't seen them yet) as I was not living there when they were made? I feel as though I'm being severely bullied and am uncomfortable in my apartment. This is my first place and I don't want to be intimidated like this and feel like my only solution is to move out. I'm only 26 and I'm sure that the treatment I'm receiving has a lot to do with my age.

I would love to here anyone's opinion and/or similar experiences.

Thanks!

As a property owner you have full protection. All covenants must be recorded in the testimonial and therfore become a legal and binding part of the contract. If you have any issues contact the municipal where you live and I am sure they can advise you.

I have different issues to you but they all boil down to the same in the end. Dont give up. One thing to remember here people do not like conflict but do enjoy control. Be strong and state the legal facts. A scappy bit of unauthorised paper means nothing.

Good Luck

Adrian
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:16 pm

When I was living in Magdalena. An old lady who was living on the other side of the street was causing problems. Not with us personaly.
One day she went standing in the middle of the busy Avenida Sucre and stopped traffic. If a car tried to get passed her, she went sitting on the bonnet. You can already imagine the sounds of horn blowing.

During nighttime she went standing in front of her house yelling things at people. She tried to hit people with a broom and threatened to pour a bucket with urine over them.
She went banging on neighboors door in the middle of the night ordering them to open the door.
During the day she stood in front of her house with her hand in the air and holding a key in each hand.

Serenazgo came few times but could´t do a lot because she was mentally ill.

One day family members of her took her and her belongings out of the house and sold the house.
meggyrosey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby meggyrosey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:20 pm

thanks so much for your replies and advice! It's good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing these kind of issues.

I'm doing some research right now about the rules in Surco so I can go to the meeting prepared. I'd rather not go but since there are only 4 other families I think it would just be plaid rude and fuel their fire. Unfortunately I have the luck of moving into a building where all the families moved in at the same time over 2 years ago and they are a close knit group. I am the outsider...

I really appreciate the feedback! Thank you!
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:31 pm

Not showing up for a meeting isn´t rude in Peru. It's normal. Just as being late.

I think if you show up or are on time you will be more considered to be 'an outsider'.

Probably, if you show up or are on time you will be the only one present.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:29 am

This meeting is only a Witch hunt. Please ensure you do your homework at Surco Municipal and do not go on your own to the meeting. I am sure you are quite capable of looking after yourself, but they will gang up on you. Any document that has not been presented and agreed by you is not legal.

I have spoken to my wife, who is Peruvian and would be very happy to help you. She does not like bullies. PM if you want contact detail.

Good Luck
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:26 am

adrian Thorne wrote:I have spoken to my wife, who is Peruvian and would be very happy to help you. She does not like bullies. PM if you want contact detail.

Good Luck

That is the spirit! To help an expat who needs support. Please be prepared and don't let people bully you. "Respetos guardan respetos." I wonder if is the age only or because you are a woman, living alone. Would they try this with a single guy living alone?
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:17 pm

mammalu wrote:
adrian Thorne wrote:That is the spirit! To help an expat who needs support. Please be prepared and don't let people bully you. "Respetos guardan respetos." I wonder if is the age only or because you are a woman, living alone. Would they try this with a single guy living alone?

We are a minority group here and when the chips are down we only have each other. Yesterday at Digamin we helped an elderly American gentleman get priority treatment after young people forced him to the back of a long queue. My wife went to security and he was immediately moved to the front.
sarita
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sarita » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:05 pm

sarita wrote: The problems ceased for a little bit and then I threw a huge party for my birthday.. and got not one word complaint when the music was blasting until 5 in the morning. Then out of no where in December while I was in the US visiting family they started harassing the owners making up all this stuff about me and in the end they kicked me out of the building at the end of January.

Sarita, that you threw a party with loud music until 5 am is not very respectfull towards your neigboors and it`s asking for problems.
I personaly don`t do parties but I suggest that people who want to hold a party with loud music and noise should go to a nightclub with their friends.

I wish you understood what my situation was like. I had lived in the building for a few months and there were no problems. Then my friends were accused of stealing things ( when I watched them walk out of the building) when clearly it was next to impossible to fit a bicycle( which was my friends bike), a tv, and the watchimans jacket plus all 5 of my friends in a taxi. I was blamed for this. Also the door downstairs was being left open all the time and was also blamed for it. I was sent harassing emails from the building owners blaming me for leaving the door open various times. Once was when I spent the night at a friends house, another time was apparently at 1am and I had left at 11pm and once I wasnt even in Lima the weekend they claimed I left the door open. On top of that, the building owner had called my friend "morenas" which is not a term a professional who is a building manager should say to an occupant. They also had blamed us for having "huge parties" in our house before my birthday party and said we blasted music all night long. I certainly dont have speaks and before my birthday never had more than 6 or 7 friends over and we listened to music from a laptop ( and they cant get very loud). After that it became straight harassing/stalking to the point where the building manage would watch us leave the building at night and stand at her window until we got in the cab and drove away. They are lucky I didnt file a harassment suit. Now you see what I was dealing with?

I am not a disrespectful person. I work here in a ONG for kids with autism. I certainly dont have the time or energy to be throwing the "parties" 2 or 3 times a week that they claimed when others in the building had had loud parties with no notice to the neighbors. I had my birthday party and there was not one complaint which I thought was funny after all the so called parties I had had previously. I didn't have my birthday party be extra loud or anything... simply threw myself a birthday party now that I had met plenty of people in Peru. I have plenty of people who have told me that it was because I am American.. even the owners of the apartment from whom I was renting it had told me that. Its a shame that the building manager had nothing better to do with her life then harass me and stalk me for a couple months. I actually feel sorry for her.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:19 pm

Sarita, I would just ignore those people. By reacting to their harrasment, you give them what they want.
There are people who just like to look for a fight. It's a hobby for them.

Anyway, if it`s getting too much for you. Then look for another place to live. Not everybody in Lima is like that. Most people are friendly and helpfull. You just had bad luck to move in next to some of the few troublemakers in town.
You can`t change your neigboors but you can change to another place.

I have (had) a problematic neigboor myself. He's a policeofficer with a drinking problem. Who like to urinate on this own motorbike whilst drunk. Till recently his wife worked during the week far away so only came home at weekends. When his wife was away, there were loud parties with 'girls' and other drunks. The parties were during the day so when there was a party, I went swimming or cruising with my motorbike. So, it didnpt hassle me.
His wife found a local job last month so comes home every day so it's very peacefull now.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:33 pm

Uhmmmm

It is interesting to see this problem from another point of view. It seem that the problem isn't caused by you or against you and even it is not agaisnt your lovely pets. It looks like it is a sort of distrust (desconfianza) against your boyfriend..

It is important to know what are your rights as an homeowner but it is also important to maintain a good and healthy relationship with your neighbours and be friendly in both ways. For the long shot it will be to your mutual benefit. So try to understand the reasons why they are apparently so upset or suspicious about your boyfriend.

I think peruvians are very emotional. One day they love you and next day hate you.. and next day love you again... So try to see why they "hate" you now and try to find a solution to this controversy without loosing your rights as an homeower .. and probably they wil love you again..

Good Luck
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:15 am

euroman wrote:Regularly, he comes home drunk at 5AM. Parks his motorbike in front of his house and starts URINATING ON THE ENGINE OF HIS MOTORBIKE. You see then the steam of urine. BAH

Your neighbour is not only bad-mannered but also stupid.. He could eventually be fined

http://www.larepublica.pe/node/68446

One question, how did you manage to see it regularly at 5 am ? Usually most of us are sleeping at bed at that time.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:27 pm

windsportinperu wrote:
euroman wrote:Regularly, he comes home drunk at 5AM. Parks his motorbike in front of his house and starts URINATING ON THE ENGINE OF HIS MOTORBIKE. You see then the steam of urine. BAH

One question, how did you manage to see it regularly at 5 am ? Usually most of us are sleeping at bed at that time.

He arrives with his motorbike and full throttle. And then he starts yelling at his wife to open the door.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:46 am

I agree you need to try to be accomodating with your neighbors especially in a smaller building. You should bring the volunteer with you to help you stand your ground. I would do a lot of listening...
anuta

Postby anuta » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:44 pm

I don`t know if it`s too late and your meeting is already finished (please give us an update), but just like others, I think you are simply being bullied. Honestly, go and find a quiet place in Peru! There`s always music, people screaming, dogs barking, doors slamming,....

As someone who generally respects her neighboors, to me their demands are ridiculous (especially about your boyfriend !) and since you`re an owner, there`s nothing much they can do.

While it`s nice to have a good relationship with neighboors, you shouldn`t worry about them liking you. If your animals don`t disturb, it`s nobody`s business. Your boyfriend ? I would answer them that it`s none of their business (depending on your style, you could be more polite, but definetely not apologizing !). Peruvians like parties, you could be nice and let them know in advance and not be extemely load, but you can`t stop living because of some toxic people !

I had such toxic landlady. She would invent new demands as she went (they were not in the lease). I would send my Peruvian ex to talk to her and he, like many Peruvians, just wants to keep things nice, so he would be nice and she would continue. She once entered my appartment when I was out (the cleaning lady opened the door) and was moving plants on my balcony. When I entered, she came to me and started criticizing me for the dust that wasn`t removed from the garage roof. Well, I didn`t use the garage, but just because the roof was accesible from my balcony, she decided that it was my responsibility to clean it (almost a year after we moved in). My toddler wanted to play with me and there I was, having to listen to her in my appartment. Up until this moment, I was nice, trying to keep a good relationship, but I started to seriously getting upset. When she left, I wrote a letter stating my opinion about what she did and honestly I wasn`t too diplomatic. She never bothered us again, because she knew that with me, she was going to have problems. Manipulators chose victims who are easy to making feel bad, but are afraid of those who can put them in their place. Good luck !
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
A. Einstein
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:04 pm

DC_20833 wrote:I agree you need to try to be accomodating with your neighbors especially in a smaller building. You should bring the volunteer with you to help you stand your ground. I would do a lot of listening...

I agree..

A small building almost always create tight bonds among the owners, while a big building with dozens of people have an atmosphere where everyone cares about oneself and don't want to have friendship with the next door homeowner..
anuta

Postby anuta » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:09 pm

windsportinperu wrote:
DC_20833 wrote:I agree you need to try to be accomodating with your neighbors especially in a smaller building. You should bring the volunteer with you to help you stand your ground. I would do a lot of listening...

I agree..

A small building almost always create tight bonds among the owners, while a big building with dozens of people have an atmosphere where everyone cares about oneself and don't want to have friendship with the next door homeowner..

well, not necessarily, it's not because you live in a small building that you necessarily click with the neighboors. In the OP's case, they are pretty ridiculous. In a big building, you can't possibly know everyone (I live in a very large building with over 100 apartments), but I do have friendly relationships with a some neighboors, and as it often happens with people, frictions with a couple of others. Size doesn't matter in this case.

I think everyone has to be accommodating, just like in any relationship. The OP shouldn't be walking on egg shells.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

A. Einstein
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:20 am

The natural inclination for a place to create tight links among people also might be seen comparing the small town vs the big city
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:07 am

meggyrosey wrote:thanks so much for your replies and advice! It's good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing these kind of issues.

I'm doing some research right now about the rules in Surco so I can go to the meeting prepared. I'd rather not go but since there are only 4 other families I think it would just be plaid rude and fuel their fire. Unfortunately I have the luck of moving into a building where all the families moved in at the same time over 2 years ago and they are a close knit group. I am the outsider...

I really appreciate the feedback! Thank you!

The meeting was Friday and we have not heard from you. We hope you are ok and if you could let us have some feedback it would add to the discussion.
Choripán
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Choripán » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:12 pm

I've got a loud drunk neighbor problem that's getting progressively worse. He blasts music all day and all night Saturday and Sunday and screams "Weekends are for me! Weekends are for me!" whenever I ask him to turn it down. He lives directly upstairs with three brothers, all in their late 50s/early 60s. It's as if he's externalizing a lifetime of sibling resentment amplified by marginally functional alcoholism.

Today he verbally threatened me for the first time and told me I was not welcome in Peru. He said that my apartment is not safe and that I am not safe here. He told me to go back to the United States. His drink was spilling all over his hairy arm as he slurred and screamed above the blaring music. It was clear that he meant that I'm not safe from him, but I don't think there is any serious personal threat. I do wonder however about my things, and my apartment, since I travel a lot and he basically sits on his ass all day. Idle hands...

A local serenazgo suggested I make a denuncia at the Jesús María comisaria. He said the denuncia would provide a "guarantee" if something unpleasant were to happen.

I have no illusions that my neighbor's behavior will change, since nobody ever changes - or rather, as a friend recently put it, people do change but only five years after you want them to and at your expense.

But the question remains: Has anyone ever used a formal denuncia for any positive effect? Are denuncias useful for anything other than making you feel less powerless?
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:07 pm

Buuut...Because you live in Peru, they can complain all that they want and there is nothing that they can legally do about it,

exactly. my response would be to tell the miserable busybodies who have nothing better to do than complain about trivial things to STFU. they can't do anything about it, hell, you can barely take action when someone commits a real crime here. i've dealt with those types in the past and i just smirk at them when i run into them in the building.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:09 pm

Choripán wrote:I've got a loud drunk neighbor problem that's getting progressively worse. He blasts music all day and all night Saturday and Sunday and screams "Weekends are for me! Weekends are for me!" whenever I ask him to turn it down. He lives directly upstairs with three brothers, all in their late 50s/early 60s. It's as if he's externalizing a lifetime of sibling resentment amplified by marginally functional alcoholism.

Today he verbally threatened me for the first time and told me I was not welcome in Peru. He said that my apartment is not safe and that I am not safe here. He told me to go back to the United States. His drink was spilling all over his hairy arm as he slurred and screamed above the blaring music. It was clear that he meant that I'm not safe from him, but I don't think there is any serious personal threat. I do wonder however about my things, and my apartment, since I travel a lot and he basically sits on his ass all day. Idle hands...

A local serenazgo suggested I make a denuncia at the Jesús María comisaria. He said the denuncia would provide a "guarantee" if something unpleasant were to happen.

I have no illusions that my neighbor's behavior will change, since nobody ever changes - or rather, as a friend recently put it, people do change but only five years after you want them to and at your expense.

But the question remains: Has anyone ever used a formal denuncia for any positive effect? Are denuncias useful for anything other than making you feel less powerless?

i know this is obvious, but definitely double on on locks/security for your door/exposed windows. keep the rats out.
deorg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby deorg » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:20 am

WORDS OF WISDOM,
1st. YOU HAVE RIGHTS... no one can kick you out of your apartment. THE ONLY way to slap them in the face, is sending them a Notarized letter written by a lawyer. (I COULD help you with this)
2nd. If its Friday or Saturday, YOU CAN HAVE your super party.
3rd. You are not OBLIGATED to respond to this crazy people. (BAM !!! send a notarized letter, and 95% of the time its stop the problem, and 100% of the time you will be respected and not be treated like a new in the town gringo)

Contact me if you need help, Im a junior Lawyer, (and by the way, Im not looking to make money out of this) so feel free to ask some questions. Just not expect a instant respond.
[email protected]
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:41 pm

Choripán wrote:I've got a loud drunk neighbor problem that's getting progressively worse. He blasts music all day and all night Saturday and Sunday and screams "Weekends are for me! Weekends are for me!" whenever I ask him to turn it down. He lives directly upstairs with three brothers, all in their late 50s/early 60s. It's as if he's externalizing a lifetime of sibling resentment amplified by marginally functional alcoholism.

Today he verbally threatened me for the first time and told me I was not welcome in Peru. He said that my apartment is not safe and that I am not safe here. He told me to go back to the United States. His drink was spilling all over his hairy arm as he slurred and screamed above the blaring music. It was clear that he meant that I'm not safe from him, but I don't think there is any serious personal threat. I do wonder however about my things, and my apartment, since I travel a lot and he basically sits on his *** all day. Idle hands...

I had the same problem recently with a neigboor slamming doors and blasting music. She does it during daytime. I sleep till midday and like tranquility. My neigboor goes to bed early.
So, I started slamming doors at nighttime and bought a strong alarm bell which I let go off a few times a night. The next day she started insulting me and was really upset.

I told her that anytime I hear her slamming the door or if I can here her music in my home. The bells will sound all night and I will slam doors too.
Since then she doesn't slam the doors anymore and I can't hear her music anymore.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... nwGno2ilHg

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register