Spanish - English exchange group

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Davek

Spanish - English exchange group

Postby Davek » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a Spanish - English exchange group in Lima?

In Santiago and Buenos Aires there are groups of locals and foreigners who gather once a week (or more) in a bar to improve their language skills e.g. everyone speaks in English for a period of time and then switches to Spanish for a period of time.

I found these good events to help with my Spanish, and fun too, but haven't seen anything like this advertised in Lima (http://www.conversationexchange.com seems to work on a similar system, but on a one-one basis rather than a larger group)

Many thanks for any suggestions,

David

kellyono

Re: Spanish - English exchange group

Postby kellyono » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:16 pm

If there is something like this I would love to be involved. I've been here nearly a year and instead of my Spanish improving I have helped everyone around me improve their English...Time to change that!!
Kelly Wilkinson
www.PeruRoadTrip.com
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:57 am

kellyono wrote:If there is something like this I would love to be involved. I've been here nearly a year and instead of my Spanish improving I have helped everyone around me improve their English...Time to change that!!

I'll be there (in Peru) Monday 4/4/11). Let's organize something like that!
Last edited by bmike1 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:-)~mike~(-:
Davek

Postby Davek » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:12 pm

Definitely - if something like this doesn't already exist would be good to arrange an evening and see if there is sufficient interest.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:44 am

Lets call it 'the language exchange group' and then we can do french and german and italian and.... too! Whatever language wants to come and learn spanish will be welcome! And if you already know spanish you can learn other languages.... man this is a great idea. We should do this as a daily thing. I'll be there every day!
:-)~mike~(-:
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:35 am

My brother in law is a 5th year business major at SIL and would like to practice his conversational english. He has taken two years of english classes and feels that he needs more interaction with english speakers to continue improving. He is willing to exchange spanish lessons for the opportunity to improve his english.

His name is Cesar Aranda and can be reached at 265-1518. You can also contact me and I will pass on your information to him so that he may contact you.
Sit back, have a coffee and work on your spanish skills while helping out a univeristy student.
kellyono

Postby kellyono » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:39 pm

I will be in Miraflores this afternoon if anyone wants to meet up to talk about starting a conversation group. I don't have a cell right now but you can email me at [email protected] and I will check in a little bit.
Kelly Wilkinson
www.PeruRoadTrip.com
Davek

Postby Davek » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:20 pm

Hi Kelly,

I've been thinking about this without actually taking any meaningful action for a couple of weeks now...

Could be in Miraflores a bit later this afternoon, will drop you an email
mattyjay

Postby mattyjay » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:36 pm

I'm in if someone arranges something... Have Spanish lessons every morning till 1pm, but am free most afternoons/evenings... Well, want to try to go gym after class but...
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:02 pm

Davek wrote:Hi all,

Does anyone know of a Spanish - English exchange group in Lima?

In Santiago and Buenos Aires there are groups of locals and foreigners who gather once a week (or more) in a bar to improve their language skills e.g. everyone speaks in English for a period of time and then switches to Spanish for a period of time.

I found these good events to help with my Spanish, and fun too, but haven't seen anything like this advertised in Lima (http://www.conversationexchange.com seems to work on a similar system, but on a one-one basis rather than a larger group)

Many thanks for any suggestions,

David

Sounds a good initiative. We can both improve our Spanish and English.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:57 am

The South American Explorers Club (SAE) in Miraflores has weekly language exchange classes every Monday from 12-2, I think the first hour is beginner and the second is intermedidate. This is an on-going group that meets regularly. I think there is a cost to non-members of $5 or 5 soles, not sure which. SAE is a great source of information and places to meet others, practice Spanish, they have book exchanges, etc. Here is their website
www.saexplorers.org/clubhouses/lima
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:38 am

I also want to practice more my english converstaion, in Lima. I think I am better writing in english that speaking. I need to "educate" more my ears..

PM me if you want to practice your spanish level. I would be more than glad having an spanish-english conversation
kellyono

Postby kellyono » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:18 pm

I have been contacted privately by a few of you regarding starting this group but unfortunately our conflicting schedules have not allowed a meeting yet.

Who can meet next Wednesday afternoon/evening somewhere around Kennedy Park?

Time and place are flexible, lets just do this. Also if some people are more interested in doing a 1 on 1 exchange this would be a good time to meet and exchange #'s for meeting up in addition to a weekly group thing.

I will be away for Semana Santa but returning Monday and look forward to seeing who can make it.
Kelly Wilkinson
www.PeruRoadTrip.com
Davek

Postby Davek » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:24 pm

Wednesday sounds good to me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good venue?
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:49 pm

I have time this wednesday night.. And could be at Kennedy Park too..

I really don't care about the place, just to be confortable and if it is affordable better, and with not so much people inside, so conversation could be fluent and with no extra-sounds around..

PM me and leave me your cellphone. I will check internet in a hour..
jencitamaria

Postby jencitamaria » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:27 am

If you`re a part of the Couch Surfing community, they have a language exchange every Friday night at 7 pm at Cafe La Maquina on Alcanfores in Miraflores.
Davek

Postby Davek » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:49 pm

If there's interest in meeting tomorrow, could get together at Cafe Zeta near Parque Kennedy at say 7:00?

Otherwise, thanks jencitamaria - may well check that out on Friday!
Davek

Postby Davek » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Doesn't look as if there's too much demand for tonight (probably just as well, have a Spanish exam tomorrow I should probably revise for!)

Think I will probably head along to the Coachsurfers meet up on Friday :)
h2olilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby h2olilly » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:04 am

Did you ever get a group started? Thinking of trying to start a group up myself.
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:26 am

There is a very large CS group that meets on Thursday (I think) at La Maquina Bar on Alcanfores. I think usually about 15 - 30 people go every time, everything is free too, only thing required for entry is ability to speak a language. I went one time and it was pretty good, tons of Peruvians wanting to practice English but at the same time eager to talk in Spanish too.

http://www.couchsurfing.org/group_read. ... st=9400249
h2olilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby h2olilly » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:37 am

Thanks goingnowhere. I`m goint to try it out :)
ehat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ehat » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:59 am

There is a group called LimaBabel. They meet on Fridays in Miraflores. Haven´t been, but they are pretty regular. Ask to join the group on FB.
h2olilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby h2olilly » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:18 pm

Thanks ehat

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register