$1 Fine waived with Peruvian Passport?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

$1 Fine waived with Peruvian Passport?

Postby koplinfamilia » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:55 pm

Here is the situation, if anyone can point us to actual documentaion on this we would be very appreciative. My husband holds both US and Peruvian passports. Upon entering the country with myself and our two children he chose to enter as an American with us. We finally have the kids DNI's and next week will get their passports (Peruvian). The guy in MIgraciones told us that my husband and the two kids can stay in Peru for as long as they want on their American visa's and that when leaving they would just need to present their Peruvian passports and the fine would be waived, this sounds great but I believe too good to be true. Does anyone have any experience with this? I would like to find it somewhere in writing, this man however could not point us to anything and I have a feeling he was only saying that to appease us but I am hoping that just maybe there is some truth to it. It makes sense, as a Peruvian you should have a rite to remain without having to cross a border, seems like there should be an easier way?

Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
Saramira222
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: $1 Fine waived with Peruvian Passport?

Postby Saramira222 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:09 pm

I believe they will probably charge you. It happened to me. I entered on my American passport and then got my Peruvian one after getting my DNI. Upon leaving, 80 days past my visa date, they charged me even though I explained that I was indeed Peruvian. I would plan on paying it, to be on the safe side. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings!
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:44 pm

We entered my son with his UK passport when we moved here and he had no problem leaving on his Peruvian passport when we went on holiday last year - about 14 months after his entry visa had expired. The guy at immigration just scanned his UK passport also and asked us to look at the screen to confirm the details he had for the original entry into Peru were correct and then he matched up the exit on the Peruvian passport aginst them. No mention of a fine.

Whether this would apply to adults, or indeed any other immigration officer, is one of those imponderables though.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:00 am

I spoke with another Peruvian here who is married to a Mexican and he assured me we could do it without a fine but he mentioned leaving with a Peruvian Passport. Wouldn't they automatically ask for the American passport to confirm how he entered the country since the Peruvian one would be blank?
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
pingouin59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pingouin59 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:21 pm

Hopefully,next time I leave Peru, I will have a resident card. Only problem is my current tourist visa is expired. Will I be able to go through all the paper work to get married with this expired visa? When I leave the country in the future, with a resident card, will the fine be waived ? The thing is I really don' t have time to do border hopping right now!
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Generally speaking, no. You can not do anything with an expired visa.
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:37 am

My eldest daughter entered on a U.S. passport and left on a Peruvian passport. We still had to pay the fine.
BUT...That was a few years ago and policies in Migraciones are always changing.

There are three possibilities: A.) No fine is paid; B.) A discounted fine is paid (what we did); and C.) You have to ante up.

Be prepared for all three.

Peruvian nationals are also expected to enter Peru with their Peruvian passports; imposing the fine is probably meant to discourage Peruvians from entering on a foreign passport. Yes, Peruvians have a right to stay in their country (long term); but if a short term trip turns into a long term stay, it would probably be best to see if Migraciones could change the immigration status w/out having to leave and re-enter the country while the current visa is still valid.

Make sure you have all the necessary documents if only one adult will be traveling out of country with children that entered or are residing as Peruvian Citizens. It can be a bureaucratic and expensive nightmare if you don't. U.S. passports (and immigration status) avoid this hassle.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:37 pm

When we entered 5 years ago with my ( Dutch/Peruvian) children, we got for them a 'laissez-passer' from the Peruvian consulate. So although they didn't have a Peruvian passport ( actually the Peruvian consulate physically didn't have Peruvian passports, you could only renew old ones ) they entered Peru as Peruvians.
Once we were in Peru we got their DNI and Peruvian passports, but as said, they entered Peru as Peruvians.

If you look on the website of Digemin there is not any information or tramite about entering as a tourist and leaving as a Peruvian. Knowing their burocratic rules, this probably is impossible..
You might be lucky with the immigration officer, but on paper you entered as a tourist, and have to exit as a tourist ( including any fine )
If you exit as a Peruvian and you are lucky with the immigration officer, it still will be registered wrong in the immigration system, possibly causing problems in the future, as you never can proof in the future that you left as a tourist.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:30 pm

We've decided to just border-hop before the visas expire and a portion of the family re-enter as Peruvians. I'll ask anyway just for future reference. We decided we wanted to make everything kosher, we don't want any problems down the road.
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register