Moving to Cajamarca from U.S.A.

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
gwrapper

Moving to Cajamarca from U.S.A.

Postby gwrapper » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:55 pm

Hello,

I am new to expatperu, but have found a ton of useful info about traveling to and living in Peru. Unfortunately the majority of the info applies to Lima or Miraflores. Does anyone have any info on Cajamarca that might help me out. I am movng with my company and my family will be joining me. We are expecting to stay around 2.5 years.

euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Moving to Cajamarca from U.S.A.

Postby euroman » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:26 pm

Cajamarca or the village called Nuevo Cajamarca?
gwrapper

Postby gwrapper » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:58 pm

Cajamarca
jchambilla

Postby jchambilla » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:09 am

Dear gwrapper,

I'm peruvian and my wife is from Michigan, we're living in Lima but we have few missionaries friends living in Cajamarca.

I went to visit them once and since there is a mine near the city things are a little bit more expensive than any other province.

Maybe I can help you, but would be good to know what your questions are.

Abrazos,

José
gwrapper

Postby gwrapper » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Jose,

Thanks for the reply. I guess my biggest concerns or questions would be about housing availability and condition. The research I have done on the internet lends me to believe that Cajamarca is a safe, beautiful place to live. I will be relocating with my wife and three teenage children so my other concern is the affect it may have on them and what type of activities that will be available to the kids. I understand that there is a shopping mall in Cajamarca as well. Also how about cellular service and internet? Transportation, should I expect to purchase an automobile or use public transportation? I guess really any information or tips you may have would be extremely helpful. When you say things are more expensive than other provinces could you maybe give a couple examples?

Thanks,
Jeremy
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:36 pm

Many things in the provinces are more expensive than in Lima, simply because it`s comes from Lima and transportation costs are added.

Buying and running a vehicle in Peru is very expensive. Most people drive motorbikes. They are affordable, cheap to run and it`s very easy to get a licence.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:38 am

gwrapper wrote: When you say things are more expensive than other provinces could you maybe give a couple examples? Thanks, Jeremy

Jeremy, "la ley de oferta y demanda" -> "laws of supply and demand" is apply directly to the case of Cajamarca.

More people is living there with more acquisitive power so the seller of products and services increase the prices. Locals are prone to increase prices, because want to earn the best profit margin
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:50 am

Friends of the family, or rather distant relatives I think, live in Cajamarca. They own one of the main gas stations heading out of the town to the coast and are fairly wealthy.

Cajamarca has a rough look about it (in terms of infrastructure, not beauty - here it rivals Cusco), because despite the mine it is quite poor. Roads are pot-holed, paving can give way to mud, grass is unkempt etc. These relatives of are living in the more upper-class area, and compared to Lima it's not all that stunning. The park outside looks like something from one of the poorer areas of Lima. Their house though is huge, many large rooms, beautiful high-quality wooden floors, large garden out back, as good as a wealthy area of Lima, probably for half the price.

The mine attracts lots of foreign workers, and I understand a number of people who live in this neighborhood I'm describing are American families. The new up and coming area is around the Baños del Inca, once just outside the city, now attached to it, and I suppose in a few years will be well inside it. Here new houses are being built, whereas near the shopping mall, new apartments are being built, cheap, thin walls and floors but modern. These are being snapped up by an emerging middle class.

The mall has a food court, some small clothes stores and a Saga Falabella much smaller than those elsewhere. They sell furniture and other pre-fab stuff like beds. I think the supermarket is Metro, its a little warehousey with thrown together rough look. Here you'll get some of the expensive items that come in plastic and with preservatives - but for vegetables you'd be nuts not to buy in the local market when living in a place like Cajamarca.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register