Bus to the Airport

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bus to the Airport

Postby edgeclinger » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:35 am

So ... it just occurred to me that we've always taken taxis to the airport in the past because we were traveling and thus had luggage. But this time we will be going to meet friends who are arriving. So it seems we could just take a bus to the airport and then take a taxi to return to our house once they arrive. Seems that would make sense since there's no way to know if their plane will be on time and how long it will take them to clear customs and immigration. So if we hired a taxi ida y vuelta we wouldn't know how long the wait would be. So the questions are:
(1) What bus do we take from Miraflores to get to the airport
(2) Is it better to take a round-trip taxi and if so how does that work with regards to waiting time and payment?
(3) Or maybe we should just take a regular taxi to the airport and then get another one to bring us home once they arrive ???
Thanks for any advice
Lauris

Loving Living in Lima
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bus to the Airport

Postby markr » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:05 am

This link should help you keep track of their arrival time.
http://www.masitravel.com/peru-informat ... %20Flights
Once the plane is scheduled to arrive, then personally I would take a regular taxi half an hour before, and pay no more than 20 soles maximum. Maybe kellys husband could sort you out.
If you want to rough it the "S" combie will take you from Miraflores to the airport gates for about 2 Soles.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:13 am

Hi Lauris,
I have often taken the bus to the airport from Miraflores and vice versa!
Your best bet and the quickest (and perhaps the only?) is to take La 'S' combi which crosses Av. Arequipa close by ovalo Miraflores, then down Enrique Palacios (one block behind Pardo that runs parallel to Pardo), Santa Cruz, Ejercito, Salaverry, Pershing (i think), then on to La Marina and Faucett. Will probably take you about 45 minutes from Miraflores to reach the airport. Allow an hour in rush hour.
You have to get off at the bridge by the main gate outside the airport. Go over the bridge, then take the foot path in to the airport. Easy peasey.
Cost wise... probably S./1.50 (that's what I pay from av. Ejercito).
Go for it! It's a mini adventure bussing it to the airport.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:15 am

Hi Lauris,
What we usually do is take a taxi to the airport and then have a taxi/van ready to pickup our people and I strongly recommend the service we always have used. There website is http://www.albrastravelagency.com/empresa.html --- they are fantastic....however, you may want to call them first because one of the partners was moving back to Sweden last I knew. But they are absolutely fantastic and reasonably priced. If you do call, let me know what your experience was.
Pollo mani
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Pollo mani » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:30 am

I use the 'S" Bus to the airport, not the combi. the bus (cooster) passes for Larco and down Pardo. I do not use combi's as i feel they are dangerious. Taken the bus allow 1.5 hrs travel time. Then return with a taxi.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:03 pm

I would only recommend the bus-micro option during the day, when it is safer..

I have walked across the bridge from Avda. Fawcett to Airport a couple of times, and has some lonely area, specially near the gate of the Airport..
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Pollo mani wrote:I use the 'S" Bus to the airport, not the combi. the bus (cooster) passes for Larco and down Pardo. I do not use combi's as i feel they are dangerious. Taken the bus allow 1.5 hrs travel time. Then return with a taxi.

The problem with the "S" bus is that they are few and far between, you can not be sure of getting one.
If you are not prepared to rough it on the combie then as I said, the only alternetive is a taxi. Just make sure that you don't get ripped off. It's common knowledge that Gringo+airport taxi=$$$$$$$ that's why I suggested speaking to Kellys husband.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:11 pm

I used the 'S' combi's a lot of times for the airport run and never had a problem. I think they have an excellent route and are normally quick. Sure, you might get packed in like sardines from time to time, but it's S./1.50.... try to get the front seat next to the chofer, these are the best and most roomy.
Let us know how you get on if you do take the bus/custer/combi.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:04 pm

You can sometimes split up your taxi route because they can get gringo greedy when going from Miraflores to the airport (or don't want to go) though it is not always the case:

1. Miraflores to Plaza San Miguel: 10-12 soles
2. Plaza San Miguel to Airport: 10-12 soles

Taxi Seguro/airport taxes charge around 50 soles just to give you an idea if you didn't already know.

Coming home you can take a taxi from inside the airport. They are there all the time. You can also walk out the airport and take one from the street but as everyone can tell you those guys can be a bit dangerous although I've never had a problem.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:09 pm

Last week we too had a friend coming in to the airport and hopped on the combi (S), it took an hour and 15 minutes from Ovalo Higuereta, no problems during the morning hours. We did take a taxi we found in the airport, he even waited for us while we waited for our friend to arrive. He charged 40 soles to Surco, not bad. By the way, at least in the Ovalo the "S" combi's are abundant, we almost never have to wait for one.
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:46 pm

If you're picking them up at night, I would recommend only using a taxi. We usually take a taxi to the airport and then another one back. We just got back from Mancora on Sunday night and there were taxi's immediately outside the airport, we paid 35 soles to Miraflores, it's worth it to me. Keep in mind, however, if taking a taxi to the airport, it's difficult hailing one from the street as they need a special permit to enter the airport, and not all have this. My husband and I tried last year to get a taxi from avenida Pardo to the airport, we must have stopped 10 to 15 before we found one. It's better to call for a pick-up.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:35 am

edgeclinger wrote:So ... it just occurred to me that we've always taken taxis to the airport in the past because we were traveling and thus had luggage. But this time we will be going to meet friends who are arriving. So it seems we could just take a bus to the airport and then take a taxi to return to our house once they arrive. Seems that would make sense since there's no way to know if their plane will be on time and how long it will take them to clear customs and immigration. So if we hired a taxi ida y vuelta we wouldn't know how long the wait would be. So the questions are:
(1) What bus do we take from Miraflores to get to the airport
(2) Is it better to take a round-trip taxi and if so how does that work with regards to waiting time and payment?
(3) Or maybe we should just take a regular taxi to the airport and then get another one to bring us home once they arrive ???
Thanks for any advice
Lauris

Lauris I assume your husband will be with you. He is quite disabled, so the bridge and the long walk to the teminal could be a problem. Take a pre booked taxi and be safe.
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:12 am

Really? I didn't know that. :o Well, anyways, my "disabled" husband walks a couple of miles everyday and backpacks when he travels, so he probably could make it to the airport. :lol:
Having said that, thanks for everyone's advice. If it had been during the day, we definitely would have taken the bus, but since it was late at night, we took the advice of a couple of you and got Kelly's husband Arturo to take us there and back, which worked out beautifully. My friends are here, had a good trip and are ready to explore my new city!
Lauris
Loving Living in Lima
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:19 am

We may try the combi route tonight, let you know how it goes if we do! By the way, what does one pay for a round trip taxi to the airport and home again (approx. Surco?)
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:55 am

It depends on the Taxi service of course. From Surco, (depending on where in Surco - it's a very big district) You can expect to pay around 50 soles each way, although you can negotiate a lower fare for round trip. Remember that if a taxi has to wait for you, they also have to pay for parking at the airport.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:10 am

Most taxi`s in Lima won`t take you to the airport because they need a special permit to enter the airport.

I was in Lima 2 weeks ago and tried to take a taxi from Magdalena Del Mar to the airport. The first 5 taxi`s didn`t want to take me to the airport because they didn`t had the permit.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:27 am

euroman wrote:Most taxi`s in Lima won`t take you to the airport because they need a special permit to enter the airport.

I was in Lima 2 weeks ago and tried to take a taxi from Magdalena Del Mar to the airport. The first 5 taxi`s didn`t want to take me to the airport because they didn`t had the permit.

Most will drop you off right outside without entering.
pingouin59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pingouin59 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:25 pm

One option is to take the metropolitano to Thomas Valle and then a combis to aeropuerto. On the way back with visitors loaded with luggage, and at night, I wouldn't be safe not to take one of the taxis with permit.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:19 pm

OK, just for the record. We took our friends in a taxi from Surco (on a holiday) for 40 soles. The taxi had no problems entering the airport. We then took the "C" bus back to Surco at 9:30 PM (2.5 soles per person), 1 hour and 15 minutes but I suspect it would have taken a lot longer on a normal business day. No problems waiting outside the airport for the buses, I don't know if I would do it with luggage but I might give it a try in a few weeks.
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register