Taxes on Tourist Visa?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
happyfeet1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Taxes on Tourist Visa?

Postby happyfeet1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:08 pm

I am living in Peru on a tourist visa. I recently opened a Peruvian bank account. If I have money wired into this account (money that is my income from internet based work) would I be liable to pay any Peruvian taxes or anything? As far as I know I wouldn't since I do not have residency in the country but I just wanted to make sure so that I don't get myself into any trouble.

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Taxes on Tourist Visa?

Postby americorps » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:31 am

well, there are several answers, but the first one is what does the law say.

The law says, regardless of your legal status (meaning it does not matter if you are here as a tourist, on a carnet or whatever) you are liable for taxes if you spend over 184 days in the country.

However, I have never heard of that enforced for income taxes earned abroad for people here on tourist visas.

Bank transfers, however, have their own taxes and that is regardless of residency status.

Finally, if the amounts are large, then there will be forms you will need to fill out, then refer to the first comment, if you are here 184 days or more, you are a tax resident of Peru.
leoo24

Postby leoo24 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:44 pm

Excuse me if i add on some questions to this thread as i'm in a similar position...

I usually deal with cash and would have been placing cash into my peruvian account, if i travel to peru on a bimonthly basis and say deposit 4 -5k each time are they going to be asking me where i got the money from and wanting to tax me on it?

I'm planning to move to peru in a year but will be visiting frequently on tourist visas.

When you say forms are needed for large amounts, what would be a threashold, 10k ?

Pollo mani
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Pollo mani » Sun May 01, 2011 6:03 pm

I would be cautious about bring in much money until after we know is going to be happening with the elections June 5. Could end up not being able to take it back out of the country if you wanted too. I have been hearing about the millions of dollar on their way out of the country since the Elections earlier this month.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sun May 01, 2011 7:49 pm

leoo24 wrote:Excuse me if i add on some questions to this thread as i'm in a similar position...

I usually deal with cash and would have been placing cash into my peruvian account, if i travel to peru on a bimonthly basis and say deposit 4 -5k each time are they going to be asking me where i got the money from and wanting to tax me on it?

I'm planning to move to peru in a year but will be visiting frequently on tourist visas.

When you say forms are needed for large amounts, what would be a threashold, 10k ?

I've placing cash into my Interbank account on a regular basis till last year. I paid in around 5000 soles a month and have never been asked any questions.
When I first came to Peru, I had 8000 euros in cash with me.

If you travel internationally you do not have to declare amounts under $10000. You can carry more but have to declare it to customs.
leoo24

Postby leoo24 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:24 am

thanks guys.

If ollanta gets in will i have a problem with taking money out? i've sold a house in ica which i'll be completing in june, i did want to remove the bulk from the country, i guess if i can't transfer it out i can withdraw it in cash can't i?

what is the danger with ollanta getting in?
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Mon May 02, 2011 8:14 pm

leoo24 wrote:If ollanta gets in will i have a problem with taking money out?

If he copies Chavez' ideas, that would certainly be possible.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue May 03, 2011 10:51 pm

Remigius wrote:

There´s a place at the border with Ecuador where you can pass without anyone checking you.
If your overstaying fine is getting to high you go their too and go back home via Ecuador.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Wed May 04, 2011 11:46 am

euroman wrote:
Remigius wrote:

There´s a place at the border with Ecuador where you can pass without anyone checking you.
If your overstaying fine is getting to high you go their too and go back home via Ecuador.

:roll: Yeah, that'll work. Every month by bus to the border to hop over, get cash out and return. That's like cutting yourself and diving into a Piranha-invested part of the river. We'll see Mexican-US border scenes with pitucos and their cash waiting for their chance to run for safety, avoiding robbers, terrorists and custom police all the way back to Lima to stash their money in their mattresses.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed May 04, 2011 12:54 pm

leoo24 wrote:thanks guys.

If ollanta gets in will i have a problem with taking money out? i've sold a house in ica which i'll be completing in june, i did want to remove the bulk from the country, i guess if i can't transfer it out i can withdraw it in cash can't i?

what is the danger with ollanta getting in?

Don't worry about Ollanta. If things change then it will be in Lima not in the provinces.
Things change very slow in Peru. They don`t rush things here. It`s always better to do it tommorrow than today.
Just like the minimum wage that has been increased to 600 soles a month. In La Selva, few people make that much money. Most people make between 150 and 400 a month

And a good advice, don't take your money out. Wherever you go everythings costs more. It`s better to spend it all in Peru.
leoo24

Postby leoo24 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:02 pm

thanks guys :)

it's all the talk about ollanta that had me worried really, as i intend on moving to peru i'd ofcourse prefer to keep the money there.
Last edited by leoo24 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pollo mani
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Pollo mani » Wed May 04, 2011 4:19 pm

OH MAN!!! how long have you been in peru? or how many times have you visited peru? I hope for the best for you. I learned a LONG time ago to trust no one with any thing of value until I have know them a good deal of time. And even then I trust no one 100%.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed May 04, 2011 4:44 pm

And you'll come and post on a public forum about how you're paying someone in immigration to break the law for you? Doesn't seem like the wisest choice.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Thu May 05, 2011 6:56 pm

leoo24 wrote:thanks guys :)

I met a lawyer at imigraciones who can arrange to send my passport on "holiday" for me to get over the 6 months limit and get the stamps on ym passport, amazing what a few soles can do hehe

There's nothing wrong with overstaying. Just pay the fine when you leave and you can always come back. Unless you live close to a border, it will work out cheaper too.

But never give your passport to anyone. You don`t know what they are going to use it for or if you are getting it back.

Also, don't deal with those guys (tramitadores) who are hanging around the inmigrationes office in Breña.
They are only in to getting away with your money and often your passport. They are scammers without exception.
happyfeet1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby happyfeet1 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:14 am

euroman wrote:
Also, don't deal with those guys (tramitadores) who are hanging around the inmigrationes office in Breña.
They are only in to getting away with your money and often your passport. They are scammers without exception.

Lol...Hate that place. Vendors swarmed my taxi as I got out at that office. Several women were telling me I needed to buy their pens so I could use it to fill out my son's passport application inside. Said no...got inside & didn't need to fill out a single form. Nice business.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Mon May 09, 2011 9:42 pm

happyfeet1 wrote:
euroman wrote:

Lol...Hate that place. Vendors swarmed my taxi as I got out at that office. Several women were telling me I needed to buy their pens so I could use it to fill out my son's passport application inside. Said no...got inside & didn't need to fill out a single form. Nice business.

It's pretty decent nowadays. I remember you could rent babies outside to get preference inside.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register