Easier border hop to Chile

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
chuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Easier border hop to Chile

Postby chuck » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:03 pm

Train service reinstated between Tacna and Arica.

http://www.livinginperu.com/news-15222- ... once-again

There are 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't.
bobadilla

Re: Easier border hop to Chile

Postby bobadilla » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:45 pm

I'm interested in taking the train from Tacna to Arica around 27th July. Does anyone know if/where you can buy tickets in advance, or is it too regular a service to warrant advance booking? There are plenty of videos on YouTube such as this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsNJAXmI ... re=related
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:54 pm

They only sell the ticket a day in advance, depending on the season, only a half day in advance. When I go down, I have a friend who will go for me and get the ticket..he just needs a copy of my Carnet (or passport if you do not have a carnet). I wish they sold them in advance.

It is sometimes even harder getting back as the Arica office has more limited hours than the Tacna office.
bobadilla

Postby bobadilla » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks, AC. We're taking a car now, since my fiancée's sister and husband have decided to join us. The train will now be a spur of the moment thing. I'm more interested in seeing the station than anything else.
bobadilla

Postby bobadilla » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:58 am

We eventually did our border hop to Arica, Chile to update my visa. The plan to go by car never happened, so to explain for the benefit of others without transport, here's how we proceeded. There are 2 Cruz del Sur departures from Arequipa bus terminal, at 7.00am and 7.30am. We took the second bus as the first was full, having booked our tickets about 3 days beforehand. The trip itself is straightforward, with one brief stop at a SUNAT checkpoint where you disembark to pass your bags through a scanner, airport-style. The ride to Tacna takes about 5 hours.

From the bus terminal at Tacna we took a taxi (4 soles) into the centre, next to the Plaza de Armas. There are plenty of hostels in the surrounding streets and we didn't pre-book. The 2-star hostels are basic, and the curtain rail fell off the ceiling in our room when I closed the curtains, but there was hot water. We'd hoped to get the afternoon train to Arica, but this being El día 28 de julio (Independence Day) it was closed. Instead we took another taxi back to the bus station and got on a bus to Arica for 10 soles each. The buses leave as soon as they are full, a system which runs pretty much like a conveyor belt.

Reaching the border we disembarked and passed single file through the Customs office, where I announced my overstay to the official stamping passports. This prompted him to leave his chair and walk over the road to get the "special rubber stamp" which he was not in possession of - the one that says "Salida por Exceso" - and proves that you have paid for your overstay. We pass outside, waiting no more than 10 minutes for everyone to board the bus. The bus conductors are very good, and nobody is left behind.

Arriving at Arica bus terminal is pretty uneventful. It's quite a distance from the town centre, unlike Tacna. We simply took a stroll down to the coast, about 10 minutes walking, and then came back and got on a bus. We were back in Tacna again after sunset, dropped our things at the hostel and then went out to eat.

We spent the next day sightseeing around the Plaza de Armas before returning to the bus station for the ride back to Arequipa. The bus departs around 2.00pm as I recall, arriving back in Arequipa at around 7.00pm.
AmandaZ

Postby AmandaZ » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:35 am

Hi,

I´m in Cusco and need to renew my Visa as well. I´ll be travelling with a little girl, and we are from the US (my daughter). Does Chile or Bolivia make more sense in terms of cost/time? If we are going to need to pay $140 per person, it seems like Chile would be better, but am I crazy ?

I really appreciate any feedback!

Amanda
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:42 am

Chile makes all the sense in the world.

The $140 fee for Bolivia, however, only applies to US Citizens, and you did not mention your nationality.

It should be noted that Chile also charges US Citizens $140 for the tourist Visa, but ONLY if they land in the National Airport in Santiago, not land or boat crossings.

Besides that, however, the Chilean border is safer and works more easy
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:48 am

If you wanted to do a very quick border hop and need 183 day visa, this guy knows most of the officials at both the Chilean and Peruvian immigrations/customs and will get you the maximum. Juan Carlos, Tel 952384572. He'll do your paperwork for you and make it all hassle free.
ehat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ehat » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:18 am

How does that work?
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:14 pm

He'll pick you up from the airport or bus station and take you by taxi to the border and in and out of all the check points. It's really very easy.
AmandaZ

Postby AmandaZ » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:38 am

Okay, here in Arequipa and am re-reading the posts on this subject. Do we not need to spend the night in Chile? I thought I had to be out of Peru for a night?

Thanks again for any help you guys can provide!
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:26 pm

Technically, you don't have to, but occasionally an official will give you a hard time (of course, that's possible even if you HAVE stayed over night)
ydelsanto08
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ydelsanto08 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:53 pm

I've heard that if you drive across teh border of Chile down south, you don't have to pay the $100 fee, verses flying. i'm not sure about the train.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register