fine for overstaying

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
etienne de strenge

fine for overstaying

Postby etienne de strenge » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:29 pm

I am leaving Peru for a while and have been overstaying for almost 2 years. Where do I pay the fine?

Can I just go to the airport, check in and then pass immigration where they will obviously see that I have been overstaying and charge me a fine or do I have to go to Breña?

Thanks for your answers.

Kelly

Re: fine for overstaying

Postby Kelly » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:08 pm

You pay at the airport.
ehat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ehat » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:11 pm

And is it still one dollar for each day you overstay? I'm comming close to my first 6 months...
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:10 am

Yes.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:46 am

As Kelly said it's still the one Dollar. If you want to avoid any delays or hassles at the airport before your flight, you can also pay at DIGEMIN in Breña.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:04 pm

sunflower wrote:As Kelly said it's still the one Dollar. If you want to avoid any delays or hassles at the airport before your flight, you can also pay at DIGEMIN in Breña.

Actually, no you can't. I tried to do this and was told I HAD to pay at the airport. Don't worry though, paying at the airport is very quick and easy, you won't have any problems. And yes, the fine is still $1 per day.
ehat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ehat » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:18 pm

where do you pay?
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:57 pm

KenBE wrote:Actually, no you can't. I tried to do this and was told I HAD to pay at the airport. Don't worry though, paying at the airport is very quick and easy, you won't have any problems. And yes, the fine is still $1 per day.

Strange! Is this new? A German friend of mine just got a 30 day visa when she entered in April this year, but stayed 6 weeks. Being paranoid about getting in trouble at the airport and missing her flight, she went to Breña with her flight ticket, paid the fee at the Banco de la Nacion and they stamped her visa.
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:23 pm

I was tole the same thing as KenBE, I went to Brena, asked about 50 people, some said I could pay there and waved me to a different part, some claimed I needed to pay at the airport. In the end, I wasn't able to pay. I think it depends on who you talk to and if they know what they're doing or not. I ended up paying in Oficina de Migraciones in Tacna.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:38 pm

I know many who paid at brena, but that it can only be less than 24 hours before your flight and you must have your ticket information, not just a reservation. If they have stopped that, it is recent, but the comment is correct, you will get a different answer depending on who you speak with, so keep asking.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:50 pm

goingnowherefast wrote:I was tole the same thing as KenBE, I went to Brena, asked about 50 people, some said I could pay there and waved me to a different part, some claimed I needed to pay at the airport. In the end, I wasn't able to pay. I think it depends on who you talk to and if they know what they're doing or not. I ended up paying in Oficina de Migraciones in Tacna.

This is exactly what happened to me as well. First they told me I could pay, but in the end I was told I couldn't. This was back in March, so not that recent.
Oliver S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Oliver S » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:50 pm

The friend of Sunflower probably was very pretty and blonde. It was easier for her than for others.

I need to pay on Thursday evening around 320$. I am only worried about my return actually...will I get into trouble when I am coming back in one month?
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:40 am

No, I overstayed a few times, paid the fine when I left and never had trouble re-entering.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:48 am

Actually, Kelly, that is an example that happens often here on the board, if it didn't happen to everyone, then it does not happen, but that is not totally true. While I know of no-one who has been denied re-entry with over-stays, I do know of people who have been questioned at the border by immigration and then given less time, as few as 30 days for one friend.

In other words, chances are they will not care, but there is no promise of that. It boils down to the fact that is is very easy not to follow the law, and I am not judging because I had overstays before I had my carnet as well, and it was just easier to pay the fine...but if you break the law, there could be consequences and we are here at the discretion of the government.

That being said, I agree that there is very little to worry about, but not NOTHING to worry about.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register