Who makes the real money and how do they do it?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
pwr144
Gold Member
Gold Member

Who makes the real money and how do they do it?

Postby pwr144 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:03 pm

In the States, for instance, top performers in any sales discipline are very well-rewarded.

Are commissioned sales jobs that pay well available here? Can auto salespersons, for instance, make good money? Pharmaceutical sales?

A dear friend here is a lawyer. Due to the fact that there is no shakedown economy here, I suppose, she works all the time, for the government, and really does not make much money.

I guess I am looking for job descriptions of the upper-middle class--which may or may not exist.

How DOES one make 100000 soles per year?

thanks!

goingnowherefast

Re: Who makes the real money and how do they do it?

Postby goingnowherefast » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:00 pm

There are a lot of people who make good money, comparable to the States, who work in construction. There is a construction boom happening right now and lots of people are getting wealthy in it. Mining and petrol production makes a lot of Peruvians rich, so does production and exportation of steel.

However I'd bet the majority of the upper middle class in Peru made their money in construction or mining.

The middle and upper ranks in the Army also get a piece of whatever type of contract is awarded, whether it be construction, insurance, exploration, whatever. Peru is definitely a place where who you know is much more important than what you know.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:04 pm

I had two students who were both what I would consider upper middle class, although I don't really know their incomes. One was an accountant who also did trading, and the other was upper management at Vencedor, the paint company.
pwr144
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pwr144 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:04 am

Thanks for the responses--mucho food for thought.

I think one road in this direction might be to use expertise gained in one's original country to form alliances as the go-between for buyers and sellers of products.

For instance, Peru is an international sensation in the food biz right now, yet there are limited wines available here and NO beers.

How can a nation that offers world class food offer no drink along with it? Pairing food with beer and wine is an art-form in the States and around the world.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:30 am

There are a group of people who make about 1k to 2k or even 3k selling things. Yeah it is a very small minority, who always have been a seller in a middle- to big size company. A cousin of mine bought a new 4x4 VW crossfox and he is "visitador medico" , but he is been working on it all his life.. and actually he is about 49 years old. He earns more than an engineer or even a doctor !

Some position into the government, "poder judicial" are well paid (unfotunately, I would say), for example some "magistrados" at "corte superior" and "corte suprema" earn about 12,000 soles a month (or more?). It is a dishonest kind of income, because Peru is a poor country.. They set their own budget given themself very big salaries. It is about the double of what earn a General in the Army..

Construction is a boom, but for earning money in that area, you also need to have at least about 500,000 usd just to begin and know the "know how" of that kind of business. The key of success in constructing buildings is build as fast as you can, maintaining the standard of quality you promise to the buyers. for that purpose you need a well organized company with very good workers.. You need a lot of expertise to even think about getting involved.
Last edited by windsportinperu on Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:36 am

pwr144 wrote:Thanks for the responses--mucho food for thought.

I think one road in this direction might be to use expertise gained in one's original country to form alliances as the go-between for buyers and sellers of products.

For instance, Peru is an international sensation in the food biz right now, yet there are limited wines available here and NO beers.

How can a nation that offers world class food offer no drink along with it? Pairing food with beer and wine is an art-form in the States and around the world.

Each country has its own traditions and food is one of them, specially in Peru. For drinking everything is already set up.

* you eat a ceviche or a pollo a la brasa or a lomo saltado or .... + chicha morada or inca-kola. Nobody even think about a wine or a "exotic" beers..

Exotic beers as ales and spicy beers don't even exist into the palate of peruvians. The same for homebrewing and things like that.. Some time ago I was selling equipment for preparing homebrewing beer as 5 gallons kegs, CO2 regulator, stainless steel connector, etc. and I have seen them no really growing as companies...
etienne de strenge

Postby etienne de strenge » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:55 pm

pwr144 wrote:In the States, for instance, top performers in any sales discipline are very well-rewarded.

Are commissioned sales jobs that pay well available here? Can auto salespersons, for instance, make good money? Pharmaceutical sales?

A dear friend here is a lawyer. Due to the fact that there is no shakedown economy here, I suppose, she works all the time, for the government, and really does not make much money.

I guess I am looking for job descriptions of the upper-middle class--which may or may not exist.

How DOES one make 100000 soles per year?

thanks!

I am sorry, I can`t answer your question but I hope someone will come up with an answer soon. I`ve got a cool bottle of champagne in my fridge for that person.
skareem

Postby skareem » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:02 pm

windsportinperu wrote:
pwr144 wrote:Thanks for the responses--mucho food for thought.

Each country has its own traditions and food is one of them, specially in Peru. For drinking everything is already set up.

* you eat a ceviche or a pollo a la brasa or a lomo saltado or .... + chicha morada or inca-kola. Nobody even think about a wine or a "exotic" beers..

Exotic beers as ales and spicy beers don't even exist into the palate of peruvians. The same for homebrewing and things like that.. Some time ago I was selling equipment for preparing homebrewing beer as 5 gallons kegs, CO2 regulator, stainless steel connector, etc. and I have seen them no really growing as companies...

True. Each country has its own tradition but then, why not marry the tradition of 'drink' countries to those of 'non drink' oriented countries like Peru and benefit all?

I am currently in the US and if some one has got an idea, I am game. In another word, put your minds together and make something out of it. Just don't be a greedy retired :)

S.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:38 am

skareem wrote:.... I am game. In another word, put your minds together and make something out of it. Just don't be a greedy retired :)

I am game, too. I invite you a bottle of pisco directly obtained from the distillery (unlabeled) and you put the beers :)

You might go to a cevicheria and ask for a white wine, if you want. But, I have been at a cevicheria at least 200 to 300 times in my life, in different regions of Peru and haven't seen something like this. If the op wants to do that as a new kind of business, I guess it is a very good idea for making new friends, but bad idea as a new kind of business..
pwr144
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pwr144 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:26 pm

windsportinperu wrote:
skareem wrote:.... I am game. In another word, put your minds together and make something out of it. Just don't be a greedy retired :)

I am game, too. I invite you a bottle of pisco directly obtained from the distillery (unlabeled) and you put the beers :)

You might go to a cevicheria and ask for a white wine, if you want. But, I have been at a cevicheria at least 200 to 300 times in my life, in different regions of Peru and haven't seen something like this. If the op wants to do that as a new kind of business, I guess it is a very good idea for making new friends, but bad idea as a new kind of business..

Yeah, but that is the point--no one ever paired beers with food in restaurants in the States until...someone did. Now it is huge. In fact, it was not many years ago that a wide wine selection was only found in very exclusive restaurants. Now, you will find Chenin Blanc, Reisling and Syrah in Fridays.

The real question with this particulat idea is whether there are exclusionary national laws preventing foriegn competition within these product categories. I mean, it is a little surreal watching the Copa America on TV and their Heineken commercials, no?

Other--I heard that they used to have the Big 3 auto factories here and when they disbanded, they left all the parts behind...for the muscle cars of the 1970's. Wanna talk BIG money? Delivering those parts to buyers in California.

However, I have not had independent confirmation that the existence of these parts is not an 'El Dorado' tale...

windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:32 pm

pwr144 wrote:The real question with this particulat idea is whether there are exclusionary national laws preventing foriegn competition within these product categories

Other--I heard that they used to have the Big 3 auto factories here and when they disbanded, they left all the parts behind...for the muscle cars of the 1970's. Wanna talk BIG money? Delivering those parts to buyers in California

I haven't seen deeply the peruvian law for importing wines and beers, but as far as I know all you have to pay is the usual taxes 18% IGV + ISC (impuesto selectivo al consumo). And accountant is more updated. Actually the market is flooded with southamerican wines as casillero del diablo - cabernet sauvignon, merlots, etc. If you are serious about importing wines and beers try to take advantage (if exist any) from the FTA agreement between Peru - US (Acuerdo de Libre Comercio)

http://www.sunat.gob.pe/legislacion/igv/ley/titulo2.htm

I love the 1955 chevrolet hardtop or even better a convertible one
hoyce
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby hoyce » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:55 pm

i make 2kish online dollars. not a lot in the states, but its ok for peru. nothing special, youtube videos and wordpress.
Wine Lover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wine Lover » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:02 am

Wine import tax is 69%.
Its a market dominated by a few massive importers.

Distributing generally works like this:
- The Importer pays $200 per wine label to appear on a restaurant's wine list or shop's shelf per year.
- A lot of places will charge a flat fee of $1000-$1500 per year and an importer can have as many labels as they like in their shop or restaurant.
- Most shops/restaurants will pay you no sooner than 90 days or work on consignment.

All of the giant import companies have paid off the customs officials and declare their wines at $1 per bottle in order to lower the import tax.

Unfortunately, there'll never be a big rang of world class wines in Peru because the restaurants and wine stores simply do not care about what wines they sell.
You've probably noticed every wine list in Lima is very similar.
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:38 pm

S/.100000 = $36000 US/year.

It's really not that much. My wife, when she worked for Telefonica as a "Junior Executive" had a $3000/month salary. Her supervisor was making about $42000 and her boss about $54000. This was before they fired everyone and replaced them with 3-4 people per position and paid them all peanuts!
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:02 pm

Salaries here are ridiculously low, even for professionals. My ex is a marketing exec for Real Plaza. She's like 3rd in command for marketing for malls all around the country. she brings home around 2000 bucks a month. her boss has a roomate.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:06 pm

oh and may i add she works like 65 hours a week and gets no bonuses of any kind.
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:45 pm

What about a soccer coach?

Sergio Markarián is making $775,000 a year and del Solar before him was making $30,000/month!

As for players, I have seen past stats that they are paid somewhere between $15,000 and $300,000/year for the domestic leagues. Of course the international players are paid more eg:

Andres Mendoza $595,000 Columbus Crew of the MLS and they go up from there!
pwr144
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pwr144 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Wine Lover wrote:Wine import tax is 69%.
Its a market dominated by a few massive importers.

Distributing generally works like this:
- The Importer pays $200 per wine label to appear on a restaurant's wine list or shop's shelf per year.
- A lot of places will charge a flat fee of $1000-$1500 per year and an importer can have as many labels as they like in their shop or restaurant.
- Most shops/restaurants will pay you no sooner than 90 days or work on consignment.

All of the giant import companies have paid off the customs officials and declare their wines at $1 per bottle in order to lower the import tax.

Unfortunately, there'll never be a big rang of world class wines in Peru because the restaurants and wine stores simply do not care about what wines they sell.
You've probably noticed every wine list in Lima is very similar.

Absolutely--but there must be thousands of real wine lovers among the affluent of Lima--the thought that they can't even try a first-growth should be unsettling to them. As it looks, there are NO world-class wines available, but with enough grass-roots support ($) perhaps this could change.

They just need to be educated of how deprived they are...LOL

I mean, is there some reason that the wealthy of Peru must do without that which the wealthy of the rest of the world take for granted?

I say NO!

rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Go for it!
pwr144
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pwr144 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:27 pm

rama0929 wrote:Go for it!

Yeah, thanks. It is probably this or 'professional soccer coach'--and I'm a bit light on soccer coach credentials.

What with never having played and all.
j3tun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby j3tun » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:01 am

Are you already here in Peru? or looking to move here?

If you PM me, I will show you a way to make that kind of money here in Peru.

:)

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register