Health Insurance in Lima

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Health Insurance in Lima

Postby Jalapenomel » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:01 pm

I had read most of the posts on health insurance here in Lima, but I have one question. Does anyone know if the major private companies, like Pacifico or Remac have associates that speak English to help us enroll?

Thanks!

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Health Insurance in Lima

Postby americorps » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:26 pm

I use an independent agent who speaks English for all my insurance needs.

she is very reliable and explains things completely when she signs you up.

Nathaly Gonzales
Tel. 219 2700 anex. 102 (de 9am a 1:30pm)
Cel. 986.077.709
[email protected]

I can not answer if the providers direct offer services in English.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm pretty sure Rimac has at least some English speaking representatives. I have their insurance and can email them if you want asking them to contact you (PM me if you want with your name and phone number).

Atencion al Cliente <[email protected]>
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:11 pm

Take your healthinsurance through a broker. If you have any problems later on with administrative things or claims that are rejected, the broker does the paperwork for you, and has 'inside knowledge' of contactpersons etc. And sometimes they have slightly better conditions than if you get it directly through the insurance company.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:12 pm

americorps wrote:I use an independent agent who speaks English for all my insurance needs.

Nathaly Gonzales
Cel. 986.077.709
[email protected]

what are the prices like?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:12 pm

The prices I found were virtually identical to buying direct. I compared and the price varied between companies a bit, but not by much.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:25 pm

americorps wrote:The prices I found were virtually identical to buying direct. I compared and the price varied between companies a bit, but not by much.

i mean in general, how much are you paying for coverage?
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:53 pm

Bear in mind that if you have a pre-existing condition (what is often called condición crónica here), the likelihood that you will be able to buy health insurance at all is drastically lower. Americorps kindly gave me Nathaly's contact info - I thanked him for that - and though she was nice and polite, there wasn't anything she could do for me.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:07 pm

renodante wrote:i mean in general, how much are you paying for coverage?

Prices depend on your age and of course the plan you choose. Check out the website of Pacifico or Rimac. They both should have an online calculator that hopefully works; most times it doesn't.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:37 pm

sunflower wrote:
renodante wrote:i mean in general, how much are you paying for coverage?

Prices depend on your age and of course the plan you choose. Check out the website of Pacifico or Rimac. They both should have an online calculator that hopefully works; most times it doesn't.

cool, thanks
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:25 pm

For a family of 4 ( 2 adults, 2 children ) you pay roughly S/. 5800 with Rimac and Pacifico, and S/. 4800 with La Positiva a year.
With La Positiva there is a 10 month waiting period for more severe diseases, but clinicas like Good Hope take that as a reason NOT to cover anything at all during this period .. ( But complaining through my broker made La Positiva pay anyway .. )
With La Positiva you pay lower deductable and copayments than with the other two. ( For example in Good Hope you pay S/. 20 and 5% with La Positiva and with Rimac you pay S/. 35 and 10% )

I am going now by the way with EsSalud for some simple surgery. It is supposed to be completely free, but has waiting lists. I will update on this process. I am paying 9% of my salary each month in the EsSalud, which makes it more expensive than any private insurance anyway.. Let's see how this works out. To get an appointment with a general doctor takes anyway 3 days I found out. So you better don't have something urgent.
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:04 pm

americorps wrote:I use an independent agent who speaks English for all my insurance needs.

Nathaly Gonzales
Cel. 986.077.709
[email protected]

Thank you! I will contact her as soon as possible!

I have found that the prices for health insurance here are amazingly cheaper then those in the States and they cover a lot more (or at least a lot more then what we had there).

What sorts of things do they consider "pre-existing conditions?" I don't believe I fall in that category, but one can never tell these sorts of things. We are specifically looking for emergency care, maternity, and regular check ups. Both my husband and I are fairly healthy people.
jvimage
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jvimage » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:50 am

Another option is to go with a family health insurance program directly with a clinica. We went with Clinica El Golf, in San Isidro. We are pretty happy with it. They have a long list of competent doctors in all specialties. The only drawback is that you have to be in Lima to be treated at their clinic.
For medical back-up while travelling in the provinces we have ESSALUD, which we got through an employer in Lima. Anyone with a Carnet de Extranjeria or a current tourist visa can buy into ESSALUD as well.

http://www.clinicaelgolf.com/

http://www.essalud.gob.pe/contenido.php?id=115

:mrgreen:
be as you are
ehat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ehat » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:42 pm

Do you know of ther insurances that are available to people only on a tourist visa?
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:38 pm

jvimage wrote:Another option is to go with a family health insurance program directly with a clinica. We went with Clinica El Golf, in San Isidro. We are pretty happy with it. They have a long list of competent doctors in all specialties. The only drawback is that you have to be in Lima to be treated at their clinic.
For medical back-up while travelling in the provinces we have ESSALUD, which we got through an employer in Lima. Anyone with a Carnet de Extranjeria or a current tourist visa can buy into ESSALUD as well.

http://www.clinicaelgolf.com/

http://www.essalud.gob.pe/contenido.php?id=115

:mrgreen:
I will have to check it out. I have seen other posts regarding the clinic only health insurance, but I was concerned about traveling outside of the city. And now I know! Thanks!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register