Respecting the humidity and cold

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Respecting the humidity and cold

Postby musiclover » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:58 am

My massage therapist just told me that the muscle spasms and back pain I've recently been experiencing are in large part due to the cold and humidity, along with stress, of course. But what do others think? Is that possible? I have learned to respect the cold and humidity here, unlike any I've ever experienced and I'm Canadian! But that it might be the cause of my back, muscle problems seems a little hard to believe....

So, have others heard of this before or had similar problems?

Kelly

Re: Respecting the humidity and cold

Postby Kelly » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:55 am

Any illness, pain, discomfort or general malaise you feel between May and December will be because of humidity and cold. And drinking cold beverages.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:15 pm

Peruvians have a collective fear of cold and cold drinks. I do not share this and have even converted my girlfriend somewhat as she will drink cold beverages with no ill effects which astonished the family.
lizzym
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby lizzym » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:52 pm

The ill effects that I never felt, but were sure to come, were the result of getting out of bed too fast in the morning. Something about the sudden shock of cold air.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:09 pm

This is definitely something the Peruvians seem to understand better than many of us Expats. Probably taught to them as children.
Like you Musiclover, I come from a far colder climate than I find here, but with no where near the humidity. My wife is red hot about me being dressed sufficiently and keeping warm, especially around the chest and throat area and goes off the deep end if I drink anything cold, especially if I have the smallest sign of a cough or nasal congestion. I admit, most times she is probably right and when I do drink anything cold, I invariably cough a couple of minutes later. She is even reluctant to drink bottled water at room temperature and adds a bit of warm boiled water to it.
Unfortunately, as an avid walker and at a fairly brisk pace, I always finish up with about two t shirts and a polo shirt on to please her (and a jumper or jacket if she has her way, so I do most of my walking while she is at work) then I am drenched in sweat by the time I walk a kilometre or two, which of course becomes another problem, when I get back home.
It probably doesn't help to have been brought up on any drink that is not hot, is automatically preferred to have been refrigerated. ie. fruit juice, beer, white wine etc. with red wine being one of the exceptions of course.
As my only experiences in high humidity has also only been at times of high temperatures, for example Northern Australia's tropical zones and Colombia, both areas with high humidity in conjunction with high temperatures, my only conclusion is that the problem we face has something specific to do with low temperatures and high humidity for which we have not been prepared for. Unfortunately, my wife has difficulty in converting any reason to English and just expects me (well, makes me really) to do as I am told.

Maybe there is someone out there who can explain what makes the difference here, or is it something to do with the continual sea mist/fog/pollution we find here in Lima.

As a footnote to this, she went to her first Hash House Harrier walk yesterday, with a bit of a flu. The drinking stations only supply cold beer, cold coke and more cold beer. The christening for first timers also requires downing a cold beer and christening the top of your head with the last mouthful. Without going into too much detail, she is bedridden today with the flu and with a terrible cough. I told her she should have known better, but she could not see the funny side of that remark.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:26 pm

There is no correlation between weather and getting the common cold. Rhinovirus (what Peruvians often erroneously call gripe) and the Flu (actual gripe) are viruses contracted by direct or indirect contact with the virus.

I don't argue this with my Peruvian friends anymore. I just smile and tell them I have a death wish.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:31 pm

But... being cold may make you more susceptible to the virus; some studies have shown that it can weaken your immune system. The same may be true in the severity of symptoms. if you're body is busy fighting trying to maintain it's core temperature, there's less energy to go to fighting germs.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:29 pm

Arroz con Pollo wrote:There is no correlation between weather and getting the common cold. Rhinovirus (what Peruvians often erroneously call gripe) and the Flu (actual gripe) are viruses contracted by direct or indirect contact with the virus.

I don't argue this with my Peruvian friends anymore. I just smile and tell them I have a death wish.

i agree most peruvians i've met have near supernatural fears of cold, but, i realize it's anecdotal, but it seems to be a bit far fetched to write it off as coincidence that people tend to catch colds and flu in the winter, almost exclusively. it's pretty rare to hear someone complain about having a cold in the summer.
lizzym
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby lizzym » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:37 pm

But... being cold may make you more susceptible to the virus; some studies have shown that it can weaken your immune system. The same may be true in the severity of symptoms. if you're body is busy fighting trying to maintain it's core temperature, there's less energy to go to fighting germs.

Considering it doesn't actually get very cold here (unless you're lacking hot water, in which case it does), maybe a few extra oranges each week would do the trick :)
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:54 pm

I accept and agree that the gripe or flu is virus born, but it has to be more than co-incidence that both here and in Australia,(And I leave North American opinions to the North Americans here) that these viruses usually start having an effect from the early stages of autumn (The Fall I think it's called in NA) and into winter. Indeed, in Australia it is around march and April they start dishing out the flu shots. It is also noticeable in southern parts of Australia, when temperatures in Spring can vary 10-20 degrees within two and three days, that it can set off again, but never to the same severe standards as in the winter months. Obviously lying dormant in bodies around the place.
But going back to the original post from Musiclover, her advice and indeed the advice of my Peruana wife and I know of at least one other Expat's Peruana wife, that indicates there is something here that effects us, which possibly has something to do with the local conditions. They always insist that it is really cold and we need to rug up, when we, for all intent and purposes, feel warm and want to dress down. To my way of thinking, this has something to do with the low temperature and high humidity and I suspect, a rapid, almost un-noticed change probably from around mid afternoon. But I take note of any comments and advice given in response to Musiclovers original post.
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby musiclover » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks TonyLeslie, all that I know is I've never had back issues like this, but of course I've never had STRESS like this before either AND I've never been this age (!) before either!!!....lol....however, the massages are helping alot and I am bundling up more than I would in -40 degree weather and it all seems to be helping (believe it or not!).

Apart from it not always feeling as cold as it ever did back home, this cold is an entirely different variety at least in my body.....so I have learned to respect the cold and humidity, also due in part to bronchio spasms and sinusitis that I contracted in March/April this year!

Yesterday I saw a young guy walking in Parque Kennedy in shorts!...en serio!
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:31 pm

LOL Musiclover, if you had been with us on the Hash House Harriers Run yesterday, you would have noticed more than one person in shorts. In actual fact you would have noticed a number of male and females in shorts. Having said that, because we finished around 5.30 p.m, all of them immediately rugged up. I mean really rug up, warm clothes, coats and hoodies even. The lovely wife put her coat back on at the second drink stop, but I was happy to cool down first as I was in a habit of doing after exercising before I moved here.
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:35 pm

As a Chiropractor that was worked in both Canada and in Lima, I can tell you unequivocally that the weather has nothing to due with your back pain. The research is very clear on the facts, that the overwhelming percentage (over 90%) of people who experience lower back pain do so because of mechanical factors (poor posture, ergonomics, old and new injuries etc.).

Every day, while I was in Lima, someone would come in to see me with back pain that they swore stemmed from a cold breeze coming in through the window or something of that ilk. When I asked them if anything else was hurting (shoulders, neck, elbows, knees etc.) the reply was usually the same. No. Just the back. When I explained that a breeze coming through the window would blow over their whole body and not just their back and thus affect everything, they would just look at me like I was stupid. It is a widely held belief that is just not true.

Musiclover, if you have any other back pain questions, feel free to PM me and I will do my best to help you out.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:55 pm

People get more colds and flue when the weather changes, that is true, however, it is a false assumption that it is the cold that causes it.

The studies I have reas instead show that when the weather turns, our contact with others increases. We take more cabs and buses instead of walking or biking. We eat indoors more, often in many countries, when the cooler weather starts, it is also when school is back in session, increasing exposure to other children. it is also after vacation season when many travel to other parts of the country or world and expose themselves to new germs and viruses.

many health myths around the world come from similar false assumptions. Another is the fear that you will have a heart attack if you shower right after you eat.

I read an anecdotal story that suggests that was born perhaps here in Peru when people first got electricity and electric showers in the provinces. Often there would only be elecricticity a few hours in the evening so after someone would eat, they would shower with a cheap ungrounded electric shower and be electrocuted. It was often mistaken for a heart attack and thus the concept that if you shower after eating dinner..you might die of a heart attack was born.

I am NOT articulating this as anything unique to Peru as all cultures all around the world do this.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:16 pm

humidity, cold and the secret ingredient = pollution. Lima has the worst air pollution in south
America. Recently in an interview to some students of the National engineering University,
the reporter asked them what is the reading of air purity in Lima. They replied that they
could not disclose it because it was so dirty that supposedly no human being should be living
on the city.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:43 pm

The studies I have reas instead show that when the weather turns, our contact with others increases. We take more cabs and buses instead of walking or biking...

makes sense.
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby musiclover » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks...I hear what everyone is saying: the cold is not the cause of my back problems...that's sort of what I thought, but honestly how do we know what this cold and this humidity can or cannot do? The pollution added into that equation has caused me lots of grief over the years, too, and to many others no doubt!! I am glad that I work with so many wonderful people!!!

For now, I will keep myself bundled up and look for other solutions to my back problems...lol...
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:51 pm

musiclover wrote:Thanks...I hear what everyone is saying: the cold is not the cause of my back problems...that's sort of what I thought, but honestly how do we know what this cold and this humidity can or cannot do? The pollution added into that equation has caused me lots of grief over the years, too, and to many others no doubt!! I am glad that I work with so many wonderful people!!!

For now, I will keep myself bundled up and look for other solutions to my back problems...lol...

from what i understand cold/humidity combo can aggrevate joint problems etc, but really i'd take with a grain of salt any diagnosis a massage therapist gives you. i've found natural healing practitioner types often have no problem overstepping their boundaries when it comes to diagnosis.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:24 am

Well Musiclover, after a deep and thoughtful analyse of all the factors that have appeared here in response to your post. Also taking into consideration the thought provoking debate on cold weather, high humidity, the effects of the weather, the flu, the variety of viruses, pollution, cold drinks and warm clothes, I have come to the conclusion that your just getting old and suffering arthritis. Now I am positive that has something to do with the cold weather. However, I think all those waiting to pounce on that remark should think carefully about it before jumping in and making a fool of themselves.

In the meantime, those who want to see my blood flowing, should probably turn up at Starbucks in San Isidro, opposite Tottus around 4.00 p.m while Musiclover tries to beat me into submission this afternoon in retribution.
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby musiclover » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 am

TonyLeslie wrote:In the meantime, those who want to see my blood flowing, should probably turn up at Starbucks in San Isidro, opposite Tottus around 4.00 p.m while Musiclover tries to beat me into submission this afternoon in retribution.

Actually, my back is all healed after several massage sessions and refraining from lifting anything for several weeks! This leads me to the conclusion that it's not arthritis OR my age (lol), just as it unlikely is the cold or humidity... so TonyLeslie you're safe, at least for this week... :!:

With respect,still, to the cold and humidity....
Musiclover
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:39 am

A good remedy to any kind of health winter problems in Lima is just leaving the city for 2 or 3 nights to a place as Cieneguilla, Antioquia, Pachacamac, Chosica, Santa Eulalia, etc
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:36 am

It is now well established and accepted that the reason for an increase in flu, etc. during cooloer weather has nothing at all to do with the temperature but the fact that people receive less sunlight on their skin. Consequently, with less sunlight, they have a significantly lowered serum vitamin D3 level resulting in lowered imune response and increase in infections. D3 has recently been found to be extrememly important to our health in many areas. Also, it needs to be in the D3 form (25-hydroxyvitamin D) to be effective.
Hegadil
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Hegadil » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:19 pm

Consider that even further S. almost Antarctica over in Argentina, Tierra del Fuego, was a tribe of very primitive indigenos Patagonians that went naked all year...Winter included. They would even go out fishing on the open seas with nothing on but a layer of seal fat rubbed in. Only when the missionaries insisted they wear clothing did they begin to catch pneumonia and die....they had no concept of what wet clothing could do to you.
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby musiclover » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:00 pm

Hegadil you have me speechless....a very rare moment indeed!
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:42 am

Only when the missionaries insisted they wear clothing did they begin to catch pneumonia and die....they had no concept of what wet clothing could do to you.

The people of hose tribes died from diseases brought by the same missionaries (and other Westeners) against which they had no resistance.
kenpo1st

Postby kenpo1st » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:37 pm

I always belived in these kind of things, my mother and aunts will always say that the cold would penetrate if I don't dress warm EVEN IN SUMMER! I was not allowed to drink cold drinks or open the fridge when after doing some activity like ironning or doing sports.

After I lived in USA and I relized that all of this makes no sense and I was free to drink my cold soda in winter or no having to wear a jacket if I did not feel cold. When I tried to shared the "truth" with my family they would just say "the cold in Peru is different than USA's cold" and no matter what I do my mom still drinks warm coke.

I live in Piura, the city of the eternal summer and in summer (even hotter) I have my baby in the stroller without socks and people here would just freak out! I mean Piurans will have 2 adults and 2 toddlers in one tiny scooter without helmets and dare to call me a bad parent because my kid drinks cold water in summer.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Is this why it´s almost impossible to buy a nice ice cold drink from a shop in Peru then instead of the luke warm colas! lol
VicManu

Postby VicManu » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Maybe it´s a case of Lost in translation. If You ask for a soda fria, like give me a Coca cola fria. You´re going to get a warm coca cola. But if you ask for a coca cola or inca cola or pepsi or a bottle of agua helada or whatever helado. You´re gonna get some really cold soda.
And If you´re adventurous enough to ask for it in peruvian slang It will be something like: bien al polo ( like coming from the north pole ).
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:00 pm

A lot of times when I'm eating a fat steak I don't feel like drinking room temperature fruit juice and want a nice cold coke to wash it down. My girlfriend refuses to serve me cold drinks and her and her family actually get offended if I bring one over and go get it from the fridge. The way I see it if I stop drinking cold drinks next I'd have to stop eating sweets then before I know it I might as well go pick my food from the ground and eat it there.

Chilled food products can be a controversial subject and I have to tread carefully when the subject comes up around my gf's family. If you notice ice cream isn't a popular thing in Peru and you'll rarely see it sold out!
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:11 pm

goingnowherefast wrote:A lot of times when I'm eating a fat steak I don't feel like drinking room temperature fruit juice and want a nice cold coke to wash it down. My girlfriend refuses to serve me cold drinks and her and her family actually get offended if I bring one over and go get it from the fridge. The way I see it if I stop drinking cold drinks next I'd have to stop eating sweets then before I know it I might as well go pick my food from the ground and eat it there.

Chilled food products can be a controversial subject and I have to tread carefully when the subject comes up around my gf's family. If you notice ice cream isn't a popular thing in Peru and you'll rarely see it sold out!

hahahha. they fear the freezer. i had chicken in the freezer for like 5 days once, went to eat it and my roomate freaked out. "omg you're going to eat that?!?!?" "um....yeah, it was frozen" "i don't think it's safe!" yet the same girl would cook a big ol pot of this chicken soup type thing, leave it there on the stove literally all day, come back from work and reheat that baby and eat it. I also had an ex girlfriend here tell me that i got sick sometimes because i drank tea using boiled water i made in the microwave (!?!?).
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:16 pm

Goingnowherefast-
You shouldn't walk on egg shells with regards to drinking the beverages you want and at the temperature you prefer.. Let them be offended and watch them change after you don't get sick.

The cold drink thing is a complete hypocritical belief because you see people eating cremoladas, ice cream, frozen chicha, frozen margaritas, frozon morcha sandwiches, etc. Ask for ice in your jugo de maracuya and they are ready to take you to the emergency room.

My peruvian family will now put mangos in the freezer for me (these are great) and they've even tried them.. They also have ice in the freezer and offer me some with my drink.. They've kind of come to accept that their belief in this cold beverage nonsense isn't accurate however that doesn't actually change their tastes as they still drink warm fruit juices and room temp beverages.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:17 pm

My husband (and to a slightly lesser extent his family) have all adjusted to my way of doing things - they even like to drink big glasses of ice cold sweet tea now. My husband prefers it over cokes.
VicManu

Postby VicManu » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:46 pm

I disagree with the last statement. We love icy stuff during the summer. D'onofrio started his business making cookies and candies but when he made helados ( gelato ) he increased his profits quickly, and It wasn´t the only gelateria. Before he migrated to Peru in Lima Downtown there was a Drugstore called La Botica Francesa. They had a cafe where they sold Ice creams.

I guess it´s a stereotype to say Limeños don´t eat ice cream or cold sodas. The heladerias or gelaterias in Lima are growing and You´ll see those guys wearing yellow uniform and riding triciclos selling helados Dónofrio in every neighborhood or walking thethe streets of Lima one will find signs outside of many houses selling marcianos ( homemade popsicles ). Every single day I see people going to mac donald, laritza, 4d etc. to get an ice cream. And something You´ll like is cremoladas and raspadillas. Maybe your in-laws don´t like it but is not the norm.

I don´t know limeños who´ll reject a cremolada and a lot of poor people paid the school and the university of their children just selling raspadillas and chicha helada.
Invite your wife to Curich to eat a cremolada she would change her mind.
http://www.cremoladascurich.com/
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:29 pm

I never have any trouble with my in laws about cold drinks as they know how much i struggle with the heat in Lima theres maybe 2 or 3 months in winter where it gets to a normal temperature which isnt gonna make me suffer. Think the hottest it got back home last year when i was there was 21c which basically is winter in peru lol Would be nice tho just to be able to go to the panaderia across the road and pick up a nice cold pepsi tho! I guess i can´t complain too much about the heat tho as the wife had to suffer the cold weather of back home for 4 years! i still laugh when it was 18c on one of the first days of summer and i took her to the beach and theres everyone running in the sea and sunbathing and heres my wife in a massive jacket wooly hat and scarf wrapped up to her nose ! needless to say we didnt stop out for too long lol

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register