Peruvian restaurants in Denver and San Francisco

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Choripán
Gold Member
Gold Member

Peruvian restaurants in Denver and San Francisco

Postby Choripán » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:36 am

Can anyone out there recommend serious Peruvian restaurants in Denver and San Francisco, the kinds of places a Peruvian taxi driver would eat at? I'll be traveling to both cities in September. Friends and family say they want to sample something representative of my daily life here, and avoid the standard theme park dining experience you normally find at the highly touted joints.

I checked Yelp for guidance. There are only two listings for Denver, and a comment on the highest rated one (3.5 stars) said "Bottomline: The curry was so freaking good!" Curry at a Peruvian restaurant? That seems like a red flag if there ever was one.

As for San Francisco, there are many more options than Denver on Yelp, but the reviews are all over the place, and I don't see much talk of the plates I eat most often down here - arroz con pollo, caldo de gallina, tacu tacu, chicharon, adobo, rocoto relleno, aji de gallina, etc. The highest rated one is, apparently, know for its salmon. Salmon? I've never seen anything other than trout and white fish in the six months I've been in Peru. I don't even know the Spanish word for salmon.

Thanks!

PS - Are there big Peruvian communities in Denver and San Francisco?

goingnowherefast

Re: Peruvian restaurants in Denver and San Francisco

Postby goingnowherefast » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:11 am

In San Francisco there is a cevicheria by the Castro. It used to be at Pier 39 but they went somewhere else close by. It also isn't the type of place a cab driver is going to go (way more expensive). Definitely touristy.

I don't think you'll find many Peruvians living anywhere in the States. As you see Mexican and Puerto Rican neighborhoods, I don't think the Peruvian versions of those exist. I've heard people say in NYC there are many Peruvians but I have yet to see it.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:21 am

Paterson,NJ will have what your searching for!
Choripán
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Choripán » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:33 am

Alpineprince wrote:Paterson,NJ will have what your searching for!

You're telling me I have to go all the way to Paterson, New Jersey, for decent Peruvian food? Seems like it would be easier just to head down to Santiago de Chile. Except maybe the Jerseyans won't claim they invented what they're serving. Anyway, I don't recall William Carlos Williams saying anything about Peruvian restaurants.
ehat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ehat » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:20 am

I don´t know about things taxi drivers go to, Peruvian food seems to be a trendy thing now, but there are some higher end places in SF that are Peruvian and not bad, but nothing compared to your menu down here.

http://www.limon-sf.com/ and its sister restaurant http://www.limonrotisserie.com/ The chicha is really good at limon.

I think that cebicheria is http://www.lamarcebicheria.com/web/index.php
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:55 am

My husband, who is Peruvian, and I live in the Bay Area and we travel to Lima for the winter months here. There are many fine Peruvian restaurants in San Francisco, two of which are mentioned prior. La Mar is a Gaston Acurio-owned restaurant and is located at the waterfront by the Ferry Building (not Pier 39). It has excellent food, but very expensive. Limon in the Mission is also very good. Fresca has several locations, the one I went to on Fillmore was okay. I also heard a new one called Pasion (same owner as Fresco), it's out in the neighborhoods (Sunset District), has gotten good reviews.
BTW, there is a substantial Peruvian population in the US, notably in California, NY, NJ, and Florida.
Enjoy your stay!
CarTraveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby CarTraveller » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:58 am

I have eaten here several times and it was very good:
Cebiche Grill
2257 W 32nd Ave Denver, CO 80211
(303) 455-1880

Hours are posted as 4p-9p, but hours are intermitent. Call first.

Jeff
amylimena
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby amylimena » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:37 pm

The Mission in SF also has food street fairs every once in awhile that sell Peruvian food. My mom called me the other day to say she was eating some "taco taco" haha.

If you go a bit east of the city, you can find many Peruvian restaurants that are a little cheaper than La Mar. Whenever I go home I always go to Inca's Grill (horrible name, I know) in Concord (about 30 mins east of the city). It's not too expensive considering the Bay Area is ridiculous and the food is pretty decent. That whole area in Concord has a few restaurants and even grocery shops too where I stock up on my Pilsen! :D

Here's the website of the restaurant I like: http://www.incasgrill.com/
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:41 pm

In San Francisco Chifa Peruano might be what you're looking for. From the name you can guess the style of food they offer. It's a hole in the wall type place, it cheap, so you don't get the ambiance of somewhere like Limon or Mochica. The food is good, but not great. I wouldn't take someone there for their first taste of Peruvian cuisine, but if you're jonesing for chifa then it's the place to go.

It's at 5173 Mission St, that's the outer mission, cross street is Geneva.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:13 am

Choripán wrote:Except maybe the Jerseyans won't claim they invented what they're serving.

I wouldn't put it past them! :lol:
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:30 pm

I was preparing to come to Peru and heard so much about the food. My company paid for a "cultural advisor" to teach me the do's and don't-do's of the culture. She had been working in Peru for 25 years, and absolutely loved the cuisine here.

She came to my home city, Denver, and wanted to take me out to a Peruvian lunch. She found only one restaurant, and after asking a friend that lived in Denver and knew Peruvian cuisine, they told her she should take me to a Japanese retaurant instead.

I would not each ceviche in Denver, just as I will not eat ceviche in Huaraz. You can't get fresh fish there. Mexican and Japanese retaurants are so popular people haven't ventured out to the rest of the world yet, but I'm pretty sure Peruvian dishes would kill there if done properly. Albeit very expensive...
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

http://www.flickr.com/jcn7vc
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Google pulls the following list of restaurants for Denver that are either Peruvian, or South American with some Peruvian dishes. There are 4 on the list.

http://business.intuit.com/boorah-resta ... uvian.html

Here are a list of 11 in San Francisco.

http://local.yahoo.com/CA/San+Francisco ... estaurants
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:31 am

I can't imagine myself eating a ceviche in the highlands.. it is coastal dish for fresh fish and lemmon..

Huaraz is good for a pachamanca... or a cuy chaptado..
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:59 am

I am guessing you have never had ceviche de trucha, trout ceviche. Ceviche does not have to be made with only saltwater fish to be good.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:15 am

Preparing a good ceviche is an art. And is learned through experience and love to the cuisine. That is why not every cevicheria is Lima is good. Some are excelent, and some aren't.

Not every ocean fish is good for a good ceviche. I mean the meat have to be solid enough for maintaining a good shape after being "cooked" by the lemmon and not falling apart. but the way it is prepared is the secret or the good taste.. By tradition only white fish meat are chosen .. This includes cojinova, corvina, etc.. But some good chef have broken that tradition and prepared with dark meat fishes too.. That is what I love of peruvian cuisine ; it is dynamic and changing through the years..

Anyway, I am open to try eating a ceviche de trucha.. where did you try it ?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:26 am

I have had it twice. Once outside huaraz made by my mother-in-law and the other time at a restaurant on the island of amantani in lake titicaca, Puno
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:57 pm

americorps wrote:I am guessing you have never had ceviche de trucha, trout ceviche. Ceviche does not have to be made with only saltwater fish to be good.

I first had regular here, which I liked but my stomach didn't. Then tried ceviche de trucha, and neither my mouth nor stomach liked it. I'll stick to Alpaca, Cuy, and other highland dishes while here. Still need to try Pachamanca...
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

http://www.flickr.com/jcn7vc

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register