Google Voice, OBI unit

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Google Voice, OBI unit

Postby MartitaAQP » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:55 pm

Hey! Has anyone used google voice from Peru? Has anyone configured an Obi unit to make calls from Peru with google voice or other carrier?

I'm gonna give it a shot with a pre-configured unit but thought someone might have already tried and have something to share.

MartitaAQP

jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Google Voice, OBI unit

Postby jcn7vc » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:46 pm

I have used it with my Magic Jack, and continue to text family through my Kindle with Google Voice.
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

http://www.flickr.com/jcn7vc
mistuhp

Re: Google Voice, OBI unit

Postby mistuhp » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:38 pm

I haven't used it for calls via my computer yet, but I have used it via wifi on my android phone (you have to do a few things to get it to work over a data network instead of making a ridiculous long distance mobile call).

Greatest thing about it is being able to text my friends en los ee.uu. on my old phone (I got the number a few months before I moved, so friends could get used to it), using my prepaid data plan (350 mb/month for 35 soles), just as if I was back there.

Now if I can only get my internet sped up so I can watch things in much higher quality from the vulkano box in my parents' house...
(Just noticed I should probably update my location. Ha.)

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register