New to Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
KatPowel27

New to Peru

Postby KatPowel27 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:27 am

Hi,
I am a Biritsh woman heading to Lima for work and have just seen you forum. I am librarian working for a childrens charity and am looking for some advice on what to do and see whilst around Lima.
Any suggestions would be fantastic. :)

windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New to Peru

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:41 am

A good starting point is reading an online tourism magazine ...

http://www.bienvenidaperu.com/English/Ediciones/Ediciones.htm

Check the subtitle "Lima, capital of Change"
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:16 am

You could contact Cynthia at www.LimaMentor.com - she can organise you a package tour and recommend what to do. Lima is great and the surrounding areas too. You should find lots to do and have a really nice time.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:30 pm

Browse the travel forum here at ExpatPeru.com, and try contacting the South American Explorer's club.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:10 pm

KatPowel27 wrote:Hi,
I am a Biritsh woman heading to Lima for work and have just seen you forum. I am librarian working for a childrens charity and am looking for some advice on what to do and see whilst around Lima.
Any suggestions would be fantastic. :)

Try to leave Lima as much as you can. Lima is het worst and ugliest place in Peru. Anywhere outside Lima is nice and beautiful.
Peace2009
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Peace2009 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Hello Kat,

Depends on what you are looking for, there are a number of things you can do:

Cultural tour: downtown Lima has some old buildings and cathedrals near the presidential palace. There are also a number of museums that might interest you.

Zoo: by San Miguel there is a pretty big zoo and the ticket is cheap. They have a good range of wild animals to see.

Sports: tennis courts are available in Miraflores. Also you can do some jogging along the coast. If you are into Martial Arts (boxing, submission, etc.), there a number of gyms you can train. I go to one near the end of Jose Pardo of Miraflores.

Adventure: South of Lima by Ica you can ride sand dune buggies. Further down South you can find Nazca lines.

Beach: South of Lima by Taxi for around 40-60 minutes, you can get to some of the beaches. Peruvian beaches are not nice except in Mancora, just to be warned.

Disco: Clubs in Larco Mar (Gotica and Aura) are the local's favorites. Other places are in around Barranco.

Movie theatres: Larco Mar and Jockey Plaza have the best cines. In Peru there is no iMax.

Finally and most importantly - Safety issue:
Neighborhood to avoid all together: San Juan de Miraflores (Not Miraflores), San Juan de Lurigancho, Los Olivos, Puente Piedra, La Victoria (at night), first few blocks of Av. Brasil (at night).

Taxi: Don't trust taxis, especially Taxi Seguros (Black ones in the airport, yellow cabs around Larco Mar). Not only they are more expensive, they are actually MORE dangerous, because criminals know that people take those taxis are usually foreigners and people who have money. Negotiate as hard as you can. Not only it brings down the price, it also gives you the appearance of being poor and hard to deal with, so criminals are less likely to bother you.

If you have specific questions don't hesitate to contact me: [email protected]
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:32 pm

Peace2009 wrote:Taxi: Don't trust taxis, especially Taxi Seguros (Black ones in the airport, yellow cabs around Larco Mar). Not only they are more expensive, they are actually MORE dangerous, because criminals know that people take those taxis are usually foreigners and people who have money. Negotiate as hard as you can. Not only it brings down the price, it also gives you the appearance of being poor and hard to deal with, so criminals are less likely to bother you.

The cheapest and most honest taxi's in Lima are the old yellow Ticos driven by old men.
And they are for sure the last ones who are going to rob you.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register