MOOOOOOLD

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

MOOOOOOLD

Postby renodante » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:05 am

Hating life right now living in Moldaflores. started moving furniture around to realize to my horror that mold is growing all over the place in my apartment like the alien terraforming in the movie War of the Worlds.

I think I've killed the last few brain cells I have left by inhaling anti hongos cleaner for the past day and a half.

that is all.

el conquistador

Re: MOOOOOOLD

Postby el conquistador » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:58 pm

Hongos grow in places where it's humid.

The best way to get rid of mold is to ventilate your flat regularly and put a heater. Ripley, Sagafabella and La Hiraoka are selling those electric oil filled heaters. They are economically to operate and effective.

Using those sprays won't help you because if you spray in one area, then mold will grow in another area.
jvimage
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jvimage » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:12 pm

Yep, winter-time is mold-time here in Lima. Terrible on leather shoes too. Radiator electric heaters work well but they'll make your power bill sky rocket out of control. I use the plug-in low watt metal bars for closets where mold likes to thrive. You can find them at Sodimac.
be as you are
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:16 pm

jvimage wrote: I use the plug-in low watt metal bars for closets where mold likes to thrive. You can find them at Sodimac.

Do they really work? My gf her sister recently bought a new flat in Lince and has also problems with mold.
I was recently at SODIMAC and saw those bars as well. They were not that expensive and they also sold it as two pack so even more cheaper. I was thinking of buying them for her but wasn't sure if if they really would work as I never have seen them before.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:46 pm

Yeah, just using a small heater has put our electric bill up by $30 - we aren't having a mold problem though, I'm just feeling the cold so much worse this year than I have before.

Our big mold problem was over the last year, thanks to an upstairs neighbor not fixing a leak. Bathroom and bedroom ceilings were covered with the stuff.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:47 pm

heater, hmmm, i never even thought of that. i'll look into one this weekend.

by the spray i meant the cleaner i was using to scrub the moldy nastiness off my wallpaper.
Last edited by renodante on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:53 pm

renodante wrote:heater, hmmm, i never even thought of that. i'll look into one this weekend.

But you must also regularly ventilate your flat because only the heater won't help you. And leave the doors of wardrobes OPEN.

Don't put leather jackets and shoes in a enclosed area. Put shoes in your kitchen or living room or other places where air circulates more. I hang my leather jacket over a chair in my comedor and never have mold on it.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:53 pm

el conquistador wrote:
renodante wrote:heater, hmmm, i never even thought of that. i'll look into one this weekend.

But you must also regularly ventilate your flat because only the heater won't help you. And leave the doors of wardrobes OPEN.

Don't put leather jackets and shoes in a enclosed area. Put shoes in your kitchen or living room or other places where air circulates more. I hang my leather jacket over a chair in my comedor and never have mold on it.

so open windows are good even when it's nasty and rainy like this?
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:14 pm

renodante wrote:
el conquistador wrote:

You don't have to keep them open 24 hours a day. Twice half an hour would be enough. I guess it doesn't rain 24 hours a day in Lima.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:26 pm

el conquistador wrote:
renodante wrote:
el conquistador wrote:

You don't have to keep them open 24 hours a day. Twice half an hour would be enough. I guess it doesn't rain 24 hours a day in Lima.

thanks for all the advice (to everyone), i'm going to start doing all the things suggested.
PeruFan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PeruFan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:42 pm

I would highly recommend purchasing a dehumidifier. We bought one a few years ago and it totally eliminated the mold problem in our home. We have a 160 sq. meter apartment and the one unit seems to handle the entire apartment. During the day we try to open all the shades/curtains to let light in, and we run the dehumidifier 24/7 during the winter. We will occasionally move our dehumidifier from one room to another. They are pricey here, but we noticed very little change in our lightbill. As an added benefit it warms up the room where its plugged in.

We thought the plug in rods did NO good when we tried them years ago.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:27 am

PeruFan wrote:I would highly recommend purchasing a dehumidifier. We bought one a few years ago and it totally eliminated the mold problem in our home. We have a 160 sq. meter apartment and the one unit seems to handle the entire apartment. During the day we try to open all the shades/curtains to let light in, and we run the dehumidifier 24/7 during the winter. We will occasionally move our dehumidifier from one room to another. They are pricey here, but we noticed very little change in our lightbill. As an added benefit it warms up the room where its plugged in.

We thought the plug in rods did NO good when we tried them years ago.

how big is it? i remember when i was a kid we had one and it was huge and noisy, i imagine they're better now

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register