Customs rules and Laptops

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Customs rules and Laptops

Postby tomasb » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:55 am

Hi, I am taking a small mini notebook made by Toshiba and an IPAD2 to Peru. A LIma friend would like me to buy her an IPAD2 since they are so expensive in Peru. Is there a tax if you take more than two computers into the country? Does anyone know the rules pertaining to how many computers you can carry and is an IPAD 2 even considered a computer? She thinks there is a tax if you have more than two.

I have never been checked at customs but wonder if that machine before you leave customs is where they might catch you. I have been selected to put my bags on the conveyer belt before but used to think this machine checked for guns and drugs. maybe not....

NexLevel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Customs rules and Laptops

Postby NexLevel » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:36 pm

It's kind of hit or miss with customs. Many people, including me, have gone thru multiple times and not declared anything with no problems. If you get the green light, they don't even review your bags. One time, I had basically disassembled an entire computer and had it all in my carry on. I got the dreaded red light, and my stuff was run thru the x-ray and opened. The guy asked me what it all was and I said my computer. He then zipped up the bag and let me thru. I didn't declare that time either.

Go with what you feel comfortable doing, and if you decide not to declare, make sure you play dumb about not understanding spanish or the custom rules. The rules themselves are fairly outdated and I'm not sure how they would apply to newer items. For example, I think you're allowed one personal video device for viewing movies (I forget the exact wording). Now does an IPad fit that description? I would argue yes, but who knows what they will say.
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:12 pm

THe laws don't develop fast enough for the technology. The customs laws say one laptop. An electronic book reader does not count, so a tablet SHOULDN'T but if it were me I would argue "it's a book reader." I once had them get all excited about my kindle and say "It's an ipad, isn't it? You can't take that AND a laptop." Once they realized it was not an ipad (no excuse to keep it!) they left me alone. I would be nervous with an ipad and laptop and with 2, you are definitely at risk. THe problem is that while they should just charge you the taxes and let you procede, they also have the option of saying "it's prohibited" and keeping it! Or saying it's 100% taxes and not making it worth your while. THe latter they would probably choose with an ipad. It's a corrupt govnt, they do what they want.

Btw, the green light means no scanning is just not true anymore. I came through a couple weeks ago and apparently looked too relieved when I got green (not wanting to lift my suitcases again!) and the lady promptly insisted I go scan as if I had gotten red. Ergh. Fortunately, I was not bringing anything to attract attention. Try to look like a confused tourist who wouldn't possibly break rules... if you can... :)

Martita
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:34 pm

In July I brought back a few things for friends in my bags, along with my stuff. Namely a laptop, Kindle, and hiking gear for two people, while I had a laptop and Kindle. I went through the X-ray machine and had no problems.

Here are a few tips that I thinked helped. I opened all items so it looked like they weren't new, and I put them in different bags. For the hiking gear, I put all the knives and fire starter in one backback, and put it in another backpack. I also put one Kindle in one type of case while the other was in a different type of protector.

One of the things they look for is people selling things like electronics and cameras. If you can make it look they're yours and not for someone else, they shouldn't have a problem.

Now getting through with TWO iPad2's, that might be a challenge. If they catch you, there will be a tax to pay on one of them, for the original cost of the iPad. It may be in your best interest to have the receipt in case they do catch you, so you pay tax on the American price and not the Peruvian price.
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

http://www.flickr.com/jcn7vc
hoyce
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby hoyce » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:27 am

hey guys help me out. im going through in a couple weeks with an xbox 360, a laptop and a kindle. if i get red im going to say the xbox is a donation to my volunteer organization, but just the same. what are they going to charge me. full retail? american or peruvian? or are they just going to charge a tax on the item as if i had bought it? i dont get it too muh. thanx
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:33 pm

hoyce wrote:hey guys help me out. im going through in a couple weeks with an xbox 360, a laptop and a kindle. if i get red im going to say the xbox is a donation to my volunteer organization, but just the same. what are they going to charge me. full retail? american or peruvian? or are they just going to charge a tax on the item as if i had bought it? i dont get it too muh. thanx

Is it a donation?

If it is and you say that, a donation is not exempt. People all the time bring in wheel chairs, laptops, different things for NGO's and have to pay customs on it. There is no exceptions for donations.

There are, however, exceptions for personal use items.
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:05 pm

hoyce wrote:hey guys help me out. im going through in a couple weeks with an xbox 360, a laptop and a kindle. if i get red im going to say the xbox is a donation to my volunteer organization, but just the same. what are they going to charge me. full retail? american or peruvian? or are they just going to charge a tax on the item as if i had bought it? i dont get it too muh. thanx

I went through in May with a Kindle, laptop, monitor, Xbox 360, and two cameras. I printed out approximate costs for used items incase they wanted to tax me, as it is normally a function of the used prices. They never even mentioned anything about the Xbox, despite getting checked. On the allowable items, it says one gaming system, so I think an Xbox or PS3 is fine and won't be taxable.
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

http://www.flickr.com/jcn7vc
PeruFan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PeruFan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:56 pm

Well, let me add a few more custom questions:

1. Do the rules apply per-person or per family? For example, if a family of four, 2 adults and 2 children come, can we get away with 2 laptops, 2 nooks (e-readers), 2 portable DVD players?

2. Can we split up and look like we are not together? One parent with one child? and carry in twice as much without being taxed?

3. So, do I understand correctly: If I am only bringing in any one item, for my own personal use, that I do not need to declare it?

4. What are the rules for media now? (DVD's, CD's, etc.?)

Thank you for taking the time to answer! Take Care everyone!
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:56 pm

Whatever anyone writes here you should realize you are at the mercy of the button and the customs official. You will probably have little recourse no matter what anyone writes you here because they can probably assess you however they wish whether right, wrong, or indifferent. Declare your stuff and you don't have to worry.

Here is the law as documented on the aduana site:
http://www.aduanet.gob.pe/orientacAduan ... ipajes.htm

** edit ** I think that link is for land crossing however with the exception of cars and the like I think the rules are about the same though I could be wrong **
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:22 pm

This is from the SUNAT site - run through google translate because I'm too lazy right now to translate it out myself. The stuff with the double ** after it are things that were just recently updated this year.

I've bolded the stuff that might apply to you. And it is per person, assuming your kids aren't babies or toddlers.

Note (y), which can apply to just about anything that doesn't fit any other listing - It doesn't say it there, but when I heard them talking on the news they said that the total was $500, but that no single item could be valued more than $200.

Article 4 .- It is unaffected by payment of taxes into the country the following items considered as baggage: (in other words, no customs charges on the following when they're in your baggage)

a) clothing and ornaments, the traveler's personal use (*).
b) Objects toilet for use by travelers.
c) Medication for personal use of travelers. (*)
d) One (1) unit or one (1) sport set for traveler's personal use (*).
e) Books, magazines and printed documents are noticed in general that the traveler's personal use.
f) Suitcases, bags and other containers commonly used containing the objects that constitute the traveler's baggage.
g) Objects statements contained in the Declaration of Temporary output according to the provisions of article 33 or stating that they are national or nationalized provided they constitute baggage and presumed that their numbers are not for trade.
h) A (01) portable appliance hair and commuter use .(**)
i) One (1) electric shaver or epilator for use by travelers.
j) One (1) musical instrument 0 wind or string, portable.
k) One (1) broadcast receiver, or one (1) audio player recorder, or one (1) team which together contain them, whenever portable with its own energy source and not a type professional.
l) A maximum in set of twenty (20) CD .(**)
m) One (1) camera or digital camera.
n) One (1) camcorder, whenever portable with its own energy source and non-professional type.
o) One (1) portable device digital video discs.
p) One (1) VCR, residential, portable electronic game.
q) Up to ten (10) rolls of film, one (01) external hard drive for computer, two (2) memories for digital camera, camcorder and / or video game, only if you carry these devices, two (02) USB ( pen drive), ten (10) cassettes for camcorder laptop, and ten (10) digital video disc or video game. (**)
r) One (1) handheld PDA or electronic tablet. (**)
s) A (1) laptop, with its own energy source.
t) Two (02) mobile phones. (**)

u) Up to twenty (20) packs of cigarettes or fifty (50) cigars or two hundred fifty (250) grams of chopped or shredded snuff smoking.
v) Up to three (3) liters of liquor.
w) Medical aids and equipment for medical monitoring and mobilization (wheelchair, stretcher, crutches, blood pressure gauges, temperature and glucose, among others) to carry passengers with disabilities or ill.
x) One (1) live pet as a pet, which must be submitted in advance to comply with relevant health regulations.
y) Other goods for use or consumption of the traveler and gifts than their quantity, nature or variety is presumed not intended to trade for a combined value of five hundred dollars of the United States of America (U.S. $ 500.00) .(**)
z) A (01) portable electronic calculator. (**)

If you want to see it all in Spanish for yourself, http://www.sunat.gob.pe/legislacion/pro ... -00.06.htm
PeruFan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PeruFan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:58 pm

Thank you for the information. I'll review the Spanish version link as well.

You are always so helpful, thank you!
:D
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:09 pm

NexLevel wrote:It's kind of hit or miss with customs. Many people, including me, have gone thru multiple times and not declared anything with no problems. If you get the green light, they don't even review your bags.

FWIW, I've gotten the green light and had my bags reviewed. Guess a guy showing up with 4 suitcases triggered aduanas' spidey sense :lol:

Next trip, I plan on wearing cargo pants 8)
Last edited by rama0929 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:11 pm

PeruFan wrote:Well, let me add a few more custom questions:

1. Do the rules apply per-person or per family? For example, if a family of four, 2 adults and 2 children come, can we get away with 2 laptops, 2 nooks (e-readers), 2 portable DVD players?

2. Can we split up and look like we are not together? One parent with one child? and carry in twice as much without being taxed?

3. So, do I understand correctly: If I am only bringing in any one item, for my own personal use, that I do not need to declare it?

4. What are the rules for media now? (DVD's, CD's, etc.?)

Thank you for taking the time to answer! Take Care everyone!

If each of you has 1 notebook on them then there won't be any problem.
butron

Postby butron » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:06 am

Just an update, as per the latest rules in July 2013 you can take one tablet and one laptop without having to declare or pay any taxes. This is no change from the previous SUNAT rules in 2011.
http://www.sunat.gob.pe/legislacion/pro ... -00.06.htm
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:35 pm

I travelled out with my laptop and planned to bring it back with another new laptop. You can do a declaration of goods you're going to take out and bring back in, and I had that all filled in, but missed the office to get it all stamped (it is immediately inside the entrance to the queuing area), so I came back with 2 laptops and insufficient paperwork. I got scanned, and the guy realised I'd got two laptops. He asked me what I'd got and I told him with a huge sigh: "a big laptop and a small laptop; do you want me to pull them out?" I anticipated having to tell him the whole sorry story of messing up the paperwork and having a fine or whatever. He weighed me up for a second, then waved me through.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:04 am

BTW there is no red/green light anymore, everyone's bags get scanned arriving international.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register